Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I thought Centipede is just the nickname they've given the organization (based on the device from the pilot) since they don't actually know who they are dealing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Revol posted:

Am I recalling this wrong, or did the files that he pulled the gridlock from all end in the file type .mp4?

Yep.

And even worse...

He uses GOTO :stonk:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

HERAK posted:

I'm hoping centapede is actually a ridiculous acronym.

Central Extremis Night-guards of Thanos Instigating the Perfection, Evolution and Domination of Earth?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

BreakAtmo posted:

Central Extremis Night-guards of Thanos Instigating the Perfection, Evolution and Domination of Earth?

It means someone really wanted our initials to spell out CENTIPEDE. :downsgun:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TheChad posted:

Yeah that doesn't make any sense but I already tune out anything Fitzsimmons say anyways. I'm kind of hoping they get replaced sooner or later, By the guy who played Rodney McKay in stargate.

He would be perfect for the role. :)

You know who else would be great - the guy who played the tech genius in Dollhouse. This show desperately needs a snarky Whedonborn bastard.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

DFu4ever posted:

I thought Centipede is just the nickname they've given the organization (based on the device from the pilot) since they don't actually know who they are dealing with.

Well, Skye's boyfriend thought he was getting money from some organization studying centipedes, so the name is out there somewhere that's Not-SHIELD.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Gorilla Salad posted:

You know who else would be great - the guy who played the tech genius in Dollhouse. This show desperately needs a snarky Whedonborn bastard.

Really the two just aren't very charismatic as a duo. Usually the tech guy is played by a single (snarky) person and as a trope it works well. Dividing the tech magic just seems to dilute their roles instead of enhance.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Merlinicus posted:

And here I was thinking they'd draw out the Skye secret double agent thing for MUCH longer. That was horribly wrong. I wonder how quickly they'll be able to find the file. It should be something that takes essentially no time to find, but I have to imagine it will be at least an episode. Or maybe even Coulson can't get to it, that would be good.

I kind of hate long-winded secret double agent stuff so I'm glad they got it out of the way, although it didn't bother me as much for some reason. Maybe because this show is just a fun thing. I like it a lot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Another thing I just noticed was that whoever runs the TV dept also hates theme songs because the cartoons and this show have the exact same "cold open/title logo against black for a few seconds/begin" thing at the start of the episodes.

I vaguely remember Seth McFarlane explaining this on some commentary. A lot of Prime Time shows will have their intros shortened in order to get a quick commercial break followed by a stinger, usually with the credits scrunched up in a corner so you can't read them. That's why you get the "we'll be back after this commercial break" when there's only 30 seconds remaining because most people will turn the channel unless you remind them.

When the shows are syndicated the intros are almost always cut. For example, South Park usually has the kids waving with the musical interlude instead of the entire sequence.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

mythicknight posted:

Yep.

And even worse...

He uses GOTO :stonk:

Part of me wonders if he was supposed to be hiding the programs as mp4s, but then another part of me wonders if the show didn't just rename files on an actual smartphone to avoid having to design a custom GUI.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Those aren't mutually exclusive reasons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LeafyOrb posted:

It also doesn't make any sense. They said mob in the group of mobsters sense and not in the single creature sense. I'm not sure how that would even work in game.

Just to clear this up:

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Mob

quote:

The term mob is short for mobile and has been used as a general term referring to any moving entities in games since the first MUDs surfaced.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And also immobile enemies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They pronounced it in the show like it's said in the sentence "a mob of angry villagers". When referring to monsters in MUDs and Minecraft, it's pronounced like the first syllable of mobile (so, "mobe")

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Billy Idle posted:

Just because those paranormal things exist doesn't automatically mean another, different kind of paranormal thing also exists. You might as well use that logic to justify Santa Claus existing in the MCU.

We've had other Marvel characters turn up in the MCU, why not Santa? He has an established canon history in Marvel comics going back decades:

quote:

In December, 1943, Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler had Santa Claus captured to destroy the U.S.A.'s morale, but U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt sent Sgt. Nick Fury, Captain America (Steve Rogers), and Bucky (James Barnes) to rescue him.

He also had a bunch of super powers:

quote:

His normal strength is augmented on Christmas Eve to lift (press) 2 tons.

He also has links to Asgard:

quote:

Santa is served by a number of magical elves, who construct the toys he gives out. Though some have differing origins, the elves are descended from the Light Elves of Asgard's Alfheim, and they are resistant to aging and conventional disease.

Fury, Cap America and Thor probably know him on a first name basis already, I'm surprised he didn't turn up in the movie to help them out. :v:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

al-azad posted:

I vaguely remember Seth McFarlane explaining this on some commentary. A lot of Prime Time shows will have their intros shortened in order to get a quick commercial break followed by a stinger, usually with the credits scrunched up in a corner so you can't read them. That's why you get the "we'll be back after this commercial break" when there's only 30 seconds remaining because most people will turn the channel unless you remind them.

When the shows are syndicated the intros are almost always cut. For example, South Park usually has the kids waving with the musical interlude instead of the entire sequence.

Oh I get why they do it, I just argue that it does more harm than good, as a good intro can help the identity and memorability of a show. It helps develop a brand in a way.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

jivjov posted:

They pronounced it in the show like it's said in the sentence "a mob of angry villagers". When referring to monsters in MUDs and Minecraft, it's pronounced like the first syllable of mobile (so, "mobe")

This might have been true back in the early days of MUDs and MOOs, but it's not true these days. Any monster is a mob, pronounced the same way it's spelt.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I always pronounced mob how it's spelled. I also thought it was an acronym for "monster or beast".

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Fury, Cap America and Thor probably know him on a first name basis already, I'm surprised he didn't turn up in the movie to help them out. :v:

Of course they know who Santa is! Santa is Odin. Seriously. Some of the Santa myths we have now come directly from Odin myths. For example Odin rode around on Sleipnir, an eight-legged horse where as Santa rides through the air with eight reindeer. There's more, but you can wiki it if you are bored.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

jivjov posted:

I've been playing/programming muds forever and I have literally never heard anyone ever refer to mobs as "mobes"

Bremen posted:

Part of me wonders if he was supposed to be hiding the programs as mp4s, but then another part of me wonders if the show didn't just rename files on an actual smartphone to avoid having to design a custom GUI.

This is very, very, very common. The same "they're using an video to fake a cool UI!" series of discussions occurred multiple times during "Chuck" as well (tho they were wmvs there)

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We've had other Marvel characters turn up in the MCU, why not Santa? He has an established canon history in Marvel comics going back decades:

He also had a bunch of super powers:

This was the response I was anticipating. ;)

SymfonyMan posted:

Of course they know who Santa is! Santa is Odin. Seriously. Some of the Santa myths we have now come directly from Odin myths. For example Odin rode around on Sleipnir, an eight-legged horse where as Santa rides through the air with eight reindeer. There's more, but you can wiki it if you are bored.

Yep, and it's even acknowledged in Marvel Universe lore.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
My personal take on the "Mob of Zombie Pigmen" is that Lydon would force spawn them on some poor player's world and overrun it. Seems like a pretty rear end in a top hat thing he would do. :v:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought she literally meant he runs a mob, as in the Mafia. Like, the writers just looked up popular online games and didn't want to use World of Warcraft, so they went down the list to #2 and chose Minecraft and assumed Minecraft was a MMO just like WoW with guilds and such. Him running a mob = he's a bad guy who runs a group of zombie pigmen killing and extorting people in the game for in-game money.

This is literally the easiest explanation.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought she literally meant he runs a mob, as in the Mafia. Like, the writers just looked up popular online games and didn't want to use World of Warcraft, so they went down the list to #2 and chose Minecraft and assumed Minecraft was a MMO just like WoW with guilds and such. Him running a mob = he's a bad guy who runs a group of zombie pigmen killing and extorting people in the game for in-game money.

No, the literally easiest and most likely explanation is that they wanted to make a Minecraft joke, went to the Minecraft wiki for info, typed in "enemies" in the search bar, were brought to a page called "Mobs", assumed that meant the enemies always traveled in packs, then saw the phrase "Zombie Pigman" and declared comedy victory without doing any further reading.

edit: So basically your explanation, but they wouldn't have thought to use the term "mob" unless they'd seen it somewhere in connection with Minecraft.

Billy Idle fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 24, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was a little more bothered by the whole "Skye is our family and she betrayed us" moments. It's five episodes in, and the cast does not have the chemistry Buffy or Firefly did to justify acting like their all so bonded with each other this early on. They're glorified co-workers that happen to live together at this point.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Boris Galerkin posted:

TV writers tend to be nerds, there is no way they've never heard of Minecraft

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
The reference feels like a sensible minecraft reference was written in and then the writer's room was like "hmm, but can we make him a BAD minecraft guy?"

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Space Hamlet posted:

sensible minecraft reference

That's a good one right there. If they wanted a good (and I'm using this term subjectively) video game reference, they should've made him a Call of Duty hacker or something. Then again, that whole 10 seconds didn't do much of anything.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
has anyone read whether or not we might see hero cameos in the show, except for the occasional Nick Fury? I would think they would make some story tie ins when the new movies get close to coming out.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
Absolutely no one outside of the danker corners of the Internet gives even the slightest poo poo that the shield writers may have made an improper Minecraft reference without doing their most thorough research.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
This weeks adjusted final ratings have the show about even from last week's so I think we've hit the baseline and it's not hemorrhaging viewers anymore.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Skye's backstory should have been brought in wayyyyy earlier, like in the pilot. It adds a lot to a character and gives her a drive that was previously lacking.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yannick_B posted:

Skye's backstory should have been brought in wayyyyy earlier, like in the pilot. It adds a lot to a character and gives her a drive that was previously lacking.

I think they wanted to do the Coulson thing first. They're both having secrets held from them by SHIELD, and it was better to have some space to breathe with Coulson before introducing Skye's mystery.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I can see that, but I think they wanted to play too much "mysterious backstory" and it affected the story. I think hiding that type of primal character quest from us prevents us from rooting for her.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We're 5 episodes in to a 20+ episode season, and they've been hinting at Skye having something up since the 2nd episode. So how much earlier do you want it brought up? Pre-release?

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

jivjov posted:

We're 5 episodes in to a 20+ episode season, and they've been hinting at Skye having something up since the 2nd episode. So how much earlier do you want it brought up? Pre-release?

I need shows to give me a full synopsis and character run down when the script is released, no surprises or unexpected plot twists allowed.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
The Minecraft Reference didn't bother me as much as the suggestion that Putin shirtless on a horse was an embarrassing leak and not an intentional Russian photo op, because I'm pretty sure it was the latter.

I liked FitzSimmons in the first episode, but they're starting to grate on me. I think Fitz in particular is the weaker link, so I'm hoping either they get some decent development soon or he dies/turns evil and leaves Simmons to be the requisite science nerd.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

jivjov posted:

How about the first episode like he already said? The problem with the first few episode is that EVERYONE has some background we haven't/hadn't been told about. I don't know poo poo about FitzSimmons, or Ward, or May, and then we have the Coulson mystery and up until this week we knew basically nothing about Skye outside of "hacker who might have a dark past that was also homeless." I think it is a totally legitimate complaint to say that we shouldn't have to wait a month into a series before we start finding out who the characters are and what motivates them. I'm not saying that there couldn't be any mysteries, but there is no reason whatsoever to have hidden the fact that she was hacking Shield for reasons other than "for the people". They could have made it so we didn't know exactly what it was, but we should have been told that she was searching for SOMETHING. And right now she is literally the only person on the team that has any motivation for doing what she is doing. Why is Ward in Shield? May? FitzSimmons? Coulson?

So far all we know about anyone is that:

Ward had a brother when he was a kid.
FitzSimmons knew Graviton and studied under him.
May stopped doing field missions for some reason, but she seems perfectly fine now?
Coulson had another team but things went bad? He likes old things. (Closest to character building we've seen, but that makes sense given his role.)

Skye finally got developed, but seeing as the whole point of Skye was to be the main character and surrogate for the viewer, it is kind of weird that they waited 5 episodes to do it.

That being said, I am enjoying the show, and will tune in for the foreseeable future. But I enjoyed Smallville too. I watched all of it. I just don't seem to have the problem of enjoying flawed works that a lot of people seem to have.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
We're at least supposed to think that's she outright working for CENTIPEDE and is just a straight up mole for at least a bit, aren't we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If we were supposed to think that Skye was working for Centipede then that flew right over my head.

• Locked thread