Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was a little more bothered by the whole "Skye is our family and she betrayed us" moments. It's five episodes in, and the cast does not have the chemistry Buffy or Firefly did to justify acting like their all so bonded with each other this early on. They're glorified co-workers that happen to live together at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Psh that'd just be a ripoff of that Darkseid/Santa crossover. :smug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Who the hell writes the scripts for this show? 90% of that last episode was awful cliches, I mean lines like 'how could she do that to us? I thought she was our friend' were said with a straight face.

Is it written by a dog that learned english from TV soaps? Does a machine design a basic script into which is inserted the hatful of generic zingers and callbacks that joss whedon drops by in his lunch break?

This is a AAA show in budgetary terms but its scripts and plots are so much loving worse than any comparable show, like Warehouse 13, Eureka, Arrow, all of which are made on far lower budgets. What is the deal here, seriously?

My guess is that ABC and marvel alike are breathing down everyone's necks and as a result we're getting bland scripts because that's the only kind that everyone can mostly agree on.

Still, Whedon shows do take a while to get going. That said this is easily the second worst opening crop of episodes from a Whedon production. I'm with it for the rest of the season but it needs to step things up a notch in terms of the scripts. Give us real characters, not archetypes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Timby posted:

Joss Whedon is not running this show. Jed Whedon and his wife are.

I know that. That's why I said Whedon production and not Joss Whedon. It's being produced by Joss' company, so calling it a Whedon production is completely correct.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They really just need to work on the cast and chemistry. The big reason I keep coming back to whedon productions is that the cast and chemistry are good to great. A lot of things like cheap sets, mediocre plots, and bland cinematography can and have been forgiven because of that.

I'm not saying the cast here has no chemistry at all, but they need to start playing them off each other for reasons other than plot and finding some sparks.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Seams posted:

I feel like I've watched five different versions of the pilot so far.

Well put. This is what I wanted to say but couldn't find the words. They've been ok to good pilots so far, but I have yet to feel like the show itself has properly started. It came close with the Graviton ep, but still mostly set up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wouldn't say lazy as much as "playing with misconceptions about what the audience wants." At least one person high up the chain must be convinced that something will go horribly wrong if they actually flex the muscles that a shared universe provides, and the restraint shows. Even if they're seen as little more than far-off celebrities--which they really shouldn't--there's no real downside to setting up and acknowledging that the Avengers and the Battle of New York was a thing.

And I say this as someone who really wants to see the show do well.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 28, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm telling you, it feels like there's too many chefs in the kitchen on SHIELD, and they all want it done their way so what ultimately passes through onto broadcast is the most generic and inoffensive grey lump of mediocre possible. That and they're trying to force the closeness of this team way way way way way too early.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Marvel Studios doesn't actually own the screen rights to X-Men or anything "mutant" related whatsoever. Those rights are with 20th Century Fox. So Marvel Studios is thus forced to find ways around the idea of a Marvel mutant.

It's a lot like how Marvel and DC comics honestly own the trademark to the phrase "superhero" and other comics companies are forced to use terms like "science hero" for the same type of character, even though everyone and their mother knows that the phrase means.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They've been trying for well over a decade, so at this point I think they're doing it out of sheer stubbornness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really hate Skye.

• Locked thread