Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That Buzzcocks episode S24E04 is really good.

That's the Wogan one, right? It's probably my favorite of the four that I posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, it's just utterly sublime. Wogan was perfect as a guest host, Hound's just really good at panel shows, and James Blunt was an amazingly good sport.

Yeah. I never thought that "James Blunt riding Phill Jupitus while they both sing the introduction to Baba O'Riley" is a thing I would experience in life, but it was amazing.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

No show's ending will ever match up to Breaking Bad's ending, so arguing about which lesser endings are the worst out of all the lesser endings out there is super dumb. :colbert:

Honestly?

I think the Sopranos' ending was superior to Breaking Bad's. Breaking Bad was, on the whole, a better show, but the Sopranos' ending was better.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Manos del Sino posted:

As somebody who loathes Journey, you are wrong.

Wrong wrong wrong.

If you hate Don't Stop Believin', you're the one who's wrong. I can't stand 99% of their songs, but gently caress do I love me some Don't Stop Believin'.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

Also, autotune is a valid artistic decision if you're trying to achieve a certain sound.

There is no :frogout: big enough

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

There are also various T-Pain singles that use it well.

T-Pain's music doesn't use anything well.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
So Johnny Vegas is/was basically British Larry the Cable Guy?

I had NO idea.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Actors wanting to direct is an old, old joke by now.

Some of them are really good at it.

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 23, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait, @Midnight is a daily show? I just saw a commercial for the new episode tonight.

It's kinda funny, but it seems like something I'd rather see once a week than every night.

It is, yeah. I don't mind, personally - I like the show a lot, so seeing more of it is good.

Midnight City posted:

Seeing the mental hoops people are jumping through to defend Homeland's inexcusably lovely writing is triggering my Dexter PTSD.

Or, you know, they might just not think it's lovely writing. Just a possibility.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Rabbit Hill posted:

Anybody here who has seen a ton of Never Mind the Buzzcocks? At some point (I think during the Simon Amstell period) Phill Jupitus went on a long joke about a Victorian steampowered vibrator, and it was hilarious and I want to find it to watch again but all my searching has been fruitless. Although I did get to see the episode with Richard Ayoade as the host, which just made my day.

Does anyone know what episode I'm talking about?

This one.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1xZXqqguTE

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE7TmSbRdO8

Part 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZ5z1-K9to

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Holy poo poo, last night's @Midnight.

I feel bad for laughing so hard.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

ufarn posted:

What happened?

This happened:

http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/8h5juw/-midnight-live-challenge---black-facebook

And then this happened:

http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/x5a3qv/-midnight-cringe-worthy---discreet-orphan-rentals

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Given the extensive history of comparing black people to dogs being a way of degrading them... Yeah, it was fairly racist.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

You know what's even worse than that? All these posts.

"Guys please don't call out racism, I don't like reading about it."

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Maybe it's a cultural thing distinct to America, and Irish Joe is actually spending his Wednesday nights wearing a pillowcase, but using dogs to describe black people really isn't a thing where I'm from.

It's very much a thing in the USA.

And, just a tip for the future, but perhaps try to not comment on things you aren't familiar with?

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 25, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Or maybe you could try to recognize that there are people from places aside from the US in this thread? For gently caress's sakes. Do you know for a fact that Irish Joe is from the US, even?

Since when do you have to be from the US to judge whether or not something is racist?

When talking about an American actress, in an American show, on an American network, it's probably a good idea to have some idea of how comments might be viewed by Americans.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I'm from the US, but I'm never heard of the black/dog thing outside of Jim Croce songs and never as racial epitaph. Its probably regional.

A junkyard pug would be the cutest thing in the world.

(you're really stretching here)

Do you not see how dehumanizing people by making them sound bestial is a really, really common thing that racists do?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I don't see any qualifications in this:

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

What he said was not racist at all. And if you think it was then it's your own thoughts colouring his words.

He said that it wasn't racist and Occupation was racist for seeing racism in it, speaking unambiguously and without qualification.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I didn't say any such thing. I said that perhaps Occupation was seeing things because he wanted to see them. Perhaps if you're so desperate to take a moral highground that you are making poo poo up you should sit the gently caress down?

And again you show your ignorance - "You're the real racist for noticing racism!" is a depressingly common argument in American racial discourse.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
New thread: Guess the show based on the quote!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Turns out Irish Joe isn't a troll, he's just Chinese: http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/10/25/why_2_broke_girls_is_the_most_popular_us_sitcom_in_china

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Baseball is the best, though the World Series this year was a hell-series of the two most hateable teams in baseball, so I'm kinda glad it's over.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
So, Fred Durst is developing an autobiographical drama for the CW.

Yes, you read that correctly.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

hollylolly posted:

I just watched Harrison Ford pierce Jimmy Fallon's ear.

It was amazing. :lol:

Edit: here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UF8KT_Ljo

I was just coming here to post about this. I really love Jimmy Fallon's show now, he does such awesome/crazy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ajQ-foj2Q

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Is Luke Cage a good black series?

What, pray tell, constitutes a "black series"?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

I'm glad I don't have the problem most of you seem to have with dropping lovely shows. There is so much good stuff on TV right now that I can barely keep up with, why would you want to waste your time watching something you hate?

For most people it seems to be either Stockholm Syndrome or Battered Spouse Syndrome.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Well, there's the scene where they decided Littlefinger's story couldn't carry itself so he should be telling it while teaching his new recruit how to do women.

Which is really perfect, because his whole monologue there is about hiding behind stuff for people to fixate on, while people fixate on the sex and ignore what he's saying.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
To be entirely honest, the reason I haven't caught up more on Person of Interest is the rapturous way that people talk about it. I've seen the first 10 episodes of season 1 and I've really enjoyed what I've seen, but the constant nigh-orgasmic reactions people have to it are grating as hell, especially because I don't really see anything that exceptional about the show. I mean, it's very competent - well-acted, well-written, well-designed, etc. but I just don't see anything very special about it.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
As a reminder since people mentioned it, we have a not-official-but-somewhat-popular TVIV IRC room!

It's on SynIRC at #SATVIV. You can click this link for more information if you have/want to download an IRC client. If you want to stick to web-based chat, you can just click this handy link!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

:woop:

Great news, it's been even better than I was hoping it would be.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

hcreight posted:

This is technically the first time it's been syndicated. But local Fox stations have been allowed to air old seasons during local programming blocks since the mid-90s. I do wonder if syndicated Simpsons really is worth that kind of money, though.

I think in FX's mind, the big draw is getting the online rights.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Ive tried to get get into Supernatural a few times but can't make it more than a few episodes. Its just too gay... well "too CW" might describe it better.

Arrow is pretty gay and CW too, and I like it although I've only watched part of the first season. There's just something about Supernatural that doesn't work for me.

Well, good to know you're a horrible person.

Also, loving hell PriorMarcus, are you just allergic to positivity?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Because I don't like Supernatural?

I'm not using gay in the pejorative sense or talking about literal gay content like in Six Feet Under. Supernatural is gay show in the same way Dexter is a gay show.

I have no idea what you mean by "gay show," but saying you can't watch something because it's too gay is awfully pejorative.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Aren't there like entire communities dedicated to the sexual tension between the main characters?

There are entire communities dedicated to random background characters in shows. The internet isn't a good judge of stuff.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Probably because its not really there? It's just an angst ridden brother relationship due to all kinds of trauma, stress, and family issues. For whatever reason it seems like some people just can't embrace the idea that they're brothers or get behind the idea of brothers talking about stuff. I don't know. I don't get it unless I assume people just aren't able at all to buy into the idea of these two as brothers with a lot of history and just see them as two dudes. In which case "those two dudes are talking about how much they missed each other and one abandoning the other. That's gay."

And why is Dexter "gay"? The relationship with Brian? I've never seen that opinion before.

So basically you don't like shows where guys are angsty towards each other?

Any time two men have a deep friendship on television, they're secretly gay.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Holy poo poo:
http://video.bobdylan.com/desktop.html

Press up and down on your keyboard to "flip channels"

:psyboom:

This is loving incredible.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

escape artist posted:

Yes, this is loving amazing. Interactive music videos. I wonder if this could revive the medium.

I love the Maron channel.

I think Maron, Price is Right, and the financial channel are my 3 favorites.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
The Irish Joe-iest thing is how he never refers to the Two Broke Girls by their character names (Max and Caroline), but by the actresses' names (Kat and Beth). Beautiful, beautiful trolling.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Machete Kills was a joyless slog that somehow managed to cost $20 million despite looking like total dogshit, and then it didn't even make its budget back.

You're broken inside.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't know if it's Korra or Doctor Who that earned me this AV, but I actually kind of like Sesame Street more than the recent output of either so gently caress it, I'm good.

Doom Goon posted:

Also, I had to really think about who PriorMarcus was in that thread with the different avatar; that's pretty funny if it was because of the Korra thread.

It was bought in a fit of Doctor Who thread-induced grumpiness.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Hahaha, were cool man. At least it's not a big dick or something.

:cheers:

I tried to keep it light-hearted and funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

In House of Cards does Kevin Spacey turning to the camera and doing smarmy monologues go beyond the first episode? It's infuriating on almost every level.

The camera turning stuff is one of the best facets of the character. He's such an rear end in a top hat, but he's so good at it. Plus, Kevin Spacey is just naturally charming as hell.

• Locked thread