Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

~*It's all about the characters!*~ :iamafag:

Yeah, but not that character--she's been an angel since season 3. Nor that character, he's dead and in purgatory. The shows are really about your least favorite characters such as the boring doctor and the fat mechanic who may or may not be a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

BrooklynBruiser posted:

If you hate Don't Stop Believin', you're the one who's wrong. I can't stand 99% of their songs, but gently caress do I love me some Don't Stop Believin'.

When I was working retail a few years back I would have to change the radio station every time Journey came on because all the sad Gen Xers would start singing along (Thanks Glee!). I also had a 'No modern Taylor Swift' policy, because good singers shouldn't use autotune :colbert:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Only classic Taylor Swift?

Yeah, anything produced between 2006 and 2010. Her newest album, Red, released in 2012, is hot garbage.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Yoshifan823 posted:

Counterpoint: No. Red is half good songs, half boring ol' ballads. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together and 22 both rock something fierce.

The problem is that WANEGBT and 22 are indistinguishable from the kind of drek singers like Avril Levine and Brittney Spears continuously poo poo out. Taylor is an extremely talented singer/songerwriter and its a shame she's abandoning her more soulful and reflective style in favor of droning choruses, bass drops and autotune.

I mean, compare these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUwxKWT6m7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKCek6_dB0M

with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4iX5D9Z64

and tell me the former aren't a hundred times better, more interesting and more relevant than the latter will ever be.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Somehow, I don't think the American TV viewing public has a tolerance for Octavia Spencer in a leading role.

They probably don't. She was on Mom this week and when I first saw her I thought she looked like a pug dog in a dress, so I can only imagine how America-at-large will react to her. Has she done any good movies or tv shows before? Not that it matters (see: Rebel Wilson), but I'm still puzzled as to why they're considering her for the lead of a network procedural. You'd think they'd find an actress with a little more gravitas, like Betty Buckley, Diana Rigg or Angela Bassett.

VVV Well, gently caress me. VVV

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 25, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Occupation posted:

but this comment was definitely sexist and kinda racist

It wasn't meant to be either, but it was meant to be harsh (which is why it sounds something-"ist") because I was expressing a gut reaction to seeing someone who's not 'Hollywood beautiful' on television. I'm willing to give Octavia a chance insofar that I have no interest in Murder, She Wrote and will never, ever watch it. That being said, I was genuinely mistaken about her credentials and thought her career consisted of bit parts in movies and tv because that's where I'm used to seeing her. Had I known about her Oscar and The Help, I probably would have been much more generous.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 25, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm from the US, but I'm never heard of the black/dog thing outside of Jim Croce songs and never as racial epitaph. Its probably regional.

Occupation posted:

Canine comparisons are common insults to both women (bitches) and blacks (junkyard dogs).

A junkyard pug would be the cutest thing in the world.

(you're really stretching here)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Quarles is interesting if only because he's unlike every other criminal on the show. Everyone in Harlan is hard, but usually there's a method to their madness. Quarles, on the other hand, is a straight up lunatic and its great watching everybody react to that kind of evil.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Game of Thrones sounds like a bad game show hosted by Jonathan Ross.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
A short list of good, accessible Sunny episodes:
The Gang Gets Invincible
Paddy's Pub: The Worst Bar in Philadelphia
The Gang Gets Extreme: Home Makeover Edition
The Gang Wrestles for the Troops
The D.E.N.N.I.S. System
The Gang Buys a Boat
Sweet Dee Gets Audited
Frank's Pretty Woman
Charlie and Dee Find Love

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Junkenstein posted:

The Returned starts in the US tonight (Sundance, I believe).

Is The Returned dubbed or subtitled?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm simultaneously mourning and enjoying DTTB in Apt 23. Cause with the proper episode order, everything makes sense, and I haven't seen about 2/3 of the second season. But then knowing it ends :(

I'm not a big fan of the second season for a number of reasons, but It's a Miracle... is arguably the best episode of the series and perhaps even the best Thanksgiving-themed tv show ever produced.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Bullock definitely deserves a nod or two for Gravity. Her nominations for The Heat are slightly less deserved, but this wasn't a big comedy year so I'm willing to give them a pass. The Heat isn't good, but it is watchable and Bullock is good in it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

This Alias you guys are talking about is not related to that lousy Jennifer Garner TV show, right?

Yeah, but its not much better. A few years ago comics started getting very talky and Alias was one of the books that led the trend. The only reason people say its good is because its different from the superhero books Marvel normally produces. However, when viewed next to movies, tv shows or actual books, it offers nothing new and, in many respects, offers it in an inferior package.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Marvel movies have always toed the line between the superhero and some other genre. Thor was a superhero/mythology/romcom movie. Captain America was a superhero/war movie. The Hulk was a superhero/monster movie. The new Netflix series shouldn't be judged by how well they fit with the Avengers--because they won't--but by how good they are within their respective genres. Is Power Fist a good martial arts series? Is Daredevil a good mob series? Is Jessica Jones a good spy series? Is Luke Cage a good black series? And so on.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

The most recent episode of Trophy Wife really upset me. You don't get smashed by playing one game of beer pong, even by yourself. :colbert:

I'm not familiar with the rules of beer pong, but I've gotten hosed up on a single bottle of Chablis before. It doesn't take a lot of alcohol to screw people up when they're thin, haven't eaten in awhile or a complete lightweight.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Toonami = Cartoon + Anime

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thrakkorzog posted:

There's just a long setup with nothing funny actually happening, and there's no actual joke until the end, and even then the punch-line was just a Shining reference.

The joke is that he's getting worked up over a continental breakfast. Continental breakfasts are universally terrible even though hotels treat them like a huge selling point.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

Every person I've ever known who has been a waiter, bartender, busboy, or manager has insisted that movies like Waiting are 100% representative of environments they've routinely worked in. They describe the food service industry as a drugged out circus of questionable ethics and hygiene inhabited by certifiable lunatics.

My family has worked in food service for three generations and although I haven't seen any of the shows you guys are talking about, I can confirm that there's no bottom to the food service barrel. Running a restaurant isn't about being good at business or good at cooking. Its about being dedicated enough to show up at four in the morning and work until ten at night for next to no profit. Its about being okay with perpetual debt, working in an industry that's as stable as a rowboat in a hurricane and facing periods of months or even years of stagnant or declining sales. In short, food service is about being crazy enough to stick it through, which is why it attracts the extremes, both good and bad.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

The sex and gore in it crosses the line from time to time into gratuitous.

I always laugh at the people who freak out over the boring vanilla sex in Game of Thrones because nothing GoT has done comes close to the gross, gratuitous, and downright amazing sex scenes in Spartacus.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

Does it look like he will get fired?

Probably not. Literally no one cares about this except a bunch of idiots.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

because at the moment watching another 16 episodes or so just to finish a season feels like it might be a slog without much payoff.

The first season of PoI is pretty bad. I started with the second season, went back to watch the first and was only able to get through six episodes before giving up. Do yourself a favor and just skip the first season. You won't miss a thing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Syrg Sapphire posted:

It still seems crazy to me, even with the general US gap this time of year, that there is straight up no draw to this fledgeling network that's already having huge issues with market penetration.

Its a cable channel. Aside from the occasional prime time series, Friends and Simpsons reruns are the big draw.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Gay show as in there's an ongoing and strong subtextual reading related to the characters homosexuality or inability to be openly homosexual.

Any opinion on what show is the faggiest? I'd say Mad Men. That Don Draper is never not smoking.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VDay posted:

Tons of empty, white space and boxy layouts filled with big screenshots and tiny bits of text are all the rage in web design these days, and I haven't met a single person who actually likes it.

You haven't met anyone with iPad?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Doctor Butts posted:

I wish someone had told me that Andy Samburg isn't acting like an SNL character in his show or else I would have started watching Brooklyn 99 a lot sooner.

Don't watch it for Samberg, watch it for Terry Crews or Melissa Fumero*.

*or Chelsey Peretti if you have really low self-esteem.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Trophy Wife scored a 1.2 last week and David Blaine got a 3.7 :negative:

I'm not surprised. David Blaine is a handsome, charismatic entertainer. Bradley Whitford.. isn't.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The show is pretty much a guaranteed cancellation at this point, but I still want to congratulate Mindy Kaling for producing the first genuinely good episode of The Mindy Show this past Tuesday.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Lena Dunham twerking a gravestone. That's it, I'm out.

hope and vaseline posted:

Season 2 was kind of a mess, there didn't seem to be much cohesion besides Hannah's depressive downward spiral. I still haven't seen the finale actually.

You lucky bastard. The season 2 finale is easily the worst episode of the series.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

So many people here watch Arrow while Nikita gets like 12 posts :(

Sorry, Maggie Q just isn't as hot as Stephen Amell.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Any good? I was never a fan of Cosby's old standup, but I'm willing to give him a chance if his material has improved.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Popelmon posted:

"You’re welcome to come over Saturday. We’re all hopping on the Internet to nitpick the scientific inaccuracies of Earth 2."

This episode was aired in 1994 :allears:.

Jesus, in 1994 I would have been on Prodigy waiting forty minutes for an image to half load before the connection timed out.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DivisionPost posted:

Your family went with Prodigy in 1994. I'm a lot more sympathetic knowing that being wrong just runs in your genes.

In all fairness to my parents, they were well ahead of the curve considering only 12% of Americans had access to the internet in 1994. Its not like anyone who wasn't a nerd or in a high tech industry knew what the internet was or what it could be used for at the time.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

HUMAN FISH posted:

Tati-chan even made Parks and Rec good, and that's quite a feat.

Does anyone know which episodes these are? I'd like to see what all the fuss over Tattiana is about, but I'll be damned if I'm sitting through Orphan Black to do it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Let's be real for a moment: how hard can it be to play two (or five) different characters when each one looks completely different, has a different accent and is so completely different in characterization that the performer doesn't have to add any subtlety to her performance? Its not like Fringe where Anna Torv played slight variations on the same woman. Tattiana's characters in Orphan look and act nothing alike and have nothing in common except that they're played by the same woman.

I guess what I'm saying is that Tattiana is more like Eddie Murphey in The Krumps than Anna Torv on Fringe.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

hcreight posted:

So if you're like me and you often wonder "What the hell is Fez up to these days?"

I just assumed he cries himself to sleep every night thinking about the time he hosed Mila Kunis. Glad to see he's still getting work.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

-Blackadder- posted:

So, without any spoilers (since I haven't watched any of it yet) how was this season of Boardwalk Empire?

More of the same. I haven't seen seasons 2 or 3, but the quality of 4 is definitely on par with what I remember from season 1. If there's any improvement it comes from the show shifting its focus away from its less compelling characters. Nucky spends most of the season on the sidelines, the ridiculous Irish woman is only in three episodes and I don't know where Jimmy went, but he's thankfully out of the mix. The show's still not perfect, especially when it comes to the role of law enforcement. The new federal agent character they added has essentially the same arc as Michael Shannon's character in season 1 and feels like a retread. And the one actual development--J. Edgar Hoover's introduction--probably won't pay off for long, long time.

All in all, BE's 4 season doesn't bring anything new to the table, but if you liked the last three seasons you'll probably enjoy it just fine.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
By the way, last night's 2 Broke Girls was the best episode so far this season and easily one of the top 5 of the series. Beth works in an office with Mr. Show's Mary Lynn Rajskub and Kat gets hit on by DTTB's Eric Andre. Hilarity ensues. I also learned that Beth Behr's was born in my old hometown which is a great relief since now I can stop claiming to be from the same place as Jonathan Groff.

Junkenstein posted:

Why on earth would you skip seasons 2 and 3 of a show of this kind?

The first season bored the poo poo out of me so I figured I'd just skip to the good stuff.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Joe, what would we have to do to get you posting in the TWD thread?

Nothing. I skipped season 2 because it was dull and pointless and I'm skipping this season because it is dull and pointless. As terrible as the Governor was in season 3, at least he gave Rick's crew something to do; gave them a reason for being melodramatic. In this season everyone's just standing around whining, being moody and dying stupidly for no reason. Its boring, uncompelling television and unless they shake things up in the mid-season finale, I'm just going to check out until season 5.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

I don't know what any of these words mean.

Well, there used to be a website that made tv-themed stickers for your trapper keeper and now there isn't.

• Locked thread