Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

zoux posted:

And P&R is on hiatus until next year.

No it isn't, we get 4 episodes in November: 2 on Nov. 14th, 2 on Nov. 21st.

(Still an annoying hiatus, though! At least Bob's Burgers comes back in a couple of weeks.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

No show's ending will ever match up to Breaking Bad's ending, so arguing about which lesser endings are the worst out of all the lesser endings out there is super dumb. :colbert:

To be fair, Six Feet Under's ending definitely rivals Breaking Bad's... but it wasn't as brilliant as a whole.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

zoux posted:

Breaking Bad's "finale" wasn't a finale. It bucked the trend of back loading the final episode with everything and instead put the series climax at the second to last episode, with the final two episodes serving as the resolution. So comparing the final episode of Breaking Bad with other finales is dumb and specious.

Since when does a finale have to have the climax of the story in it to qualify as a finale?

Have you seen Lost? Would you say its climax is in the finale, or a whole season before that?

The writers of Breaking Bad deliberately titled the last episode using an anagram of "finale", so I don't think they'd agree with your assessment.

(Ozymandias is definitely the climax, but that has no bearing on it being a finale or its comparability to other series finales.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 22, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

zoux posted:

Was there a point in TV history where a show would have one director for a whole season or even a series? Why do shows swap around directors instead of having a regular guy/gal?

I think it's largely so that they can shoot/prep in parallel. If you're working on a week-to-week basis/tight schedule, you can't be focusing on doing the prep for an episode next week if you're busy directing a different episode this week. Meanwhile, the showrunner/executive producers take on the role of overseeing the season/show as a whole.

I guess it depends on the show, though.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Occupation posted:

this comment was definitely sexist and kinda racist

How is it either of those things instead of just being a lovely thing to say in general?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BrooklynBruiser posted:

It's very much a thing in the USA.

And, just a tip for the future, but perhaps try to not comment on things you aren't familiar with?

Or maybe you could try to recognize that there are people from places aside from the US in this thread? For gently caress's sakes. Do you know for a fact that Irish Joe is from the US, even?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 25, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BrooklynBruiser posted:

When talking about an American actress, in an American show, on an American network, it's probably a good idea to have some idea of how comments might be viewed by Americans.

That may be true for the original poster of the comment, but really, people with other viewpoints shouldn't even comment on it? Rapey Joe Stalin even qualified the statement to account for the fact that it could be a US-centric thing that he wasn't aware of.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jingleheimer posted:

Hey, guys, I have something TV related to say. I think I'm on the verge of an absolute full blown Farscape re-watch. Be on the lookout in the next week or so for a Farscape thread for us to talk about how awesome of a show Farscape is.

Excellent! I've been watching through it for the first time on and off over the past few months, I'm at the end of season 4, now. So I am definitely on board for a Farscape thread.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jingleheimer posted:

You're cartoony and stupid, Farscape doesn't like it when you insult it like that.

To be fair, that show does kind of relish being cartoony and stupid, sometimes.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Duke posted:

30 Rock never gets bad, unless you can't stand Kristen Schaal. I kind of thought she dragged down season 6 a little bit but there was so much other good poo poo going on that I can look past her character.

Also one of my favorite series finales.

Yeah, I'd say it has a few lulls, but never gets close to being bad.

And I just love the last little scene in that series finale.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

What thread do I go to to complain about the fact that i.TV just absolutely killed GetGlue.com by all of a sudden removing the physical stickers aspect of it? (AKA the entire point of the site) :argh:

(I assume this thread will do.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 27, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Davincie posted:

Are those stickers the TV nerd equivalant of buying anime dolls?

Nah, they were free. You just had to check-in during shows/movies you were (ostensibly) watching to get them, and then you could order a sheet of 20 per month at no cost.

They were definitely silly and useless, no doubt about that, but GetGlue without the actual stickers is just... pointless.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Duke posted:

Man, checking into Getglue is so pointless now. Been doing it for like 4 years now and have over 2000 stickers, this sucks! At least I got all the stickers for the last season of Breaking Bad and the marathon before the finale.

I ordered some of the Breaking Bad ones a few weeks ago, but I don't know if they'll ever arrive. :(

Doctor Who, on the other hand... what a waste of time, checking in all through the anniversary marathons last weekend.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

I mean, the guy is an rear end in a top hat, but I can't help but feel sorry for him, I tend to sympathize a lot with those sorts though for some reason. drat funny show though, it's very dry, just my type of humor.

Have you seen the original UK series? It's even better, and ends on the perfect note.

(And David Brent is way more sympathetic than Michael Scott.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Deadpool posted:

The only correct answer to this is when you're tired of it. Anyone else giving you a different answer is objectively wrong.

zoux posted:

Hmmm well, the chart I use is when my loving brain tells me I'm not enjoying the show anymore.

So you don't think there are any shows that have dips in quality, only to return to form later?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

It's very rare. Friday Night Lights pulled it together after a second season marred by some terrible choices. Supernatural seasons 1, 6, and 7 were, by my understanding, uneven at best and dull at worst.

That's literally all I can think of, though.

I wouldn't call it that rare. Six Feet Under had a season that I just hated getting through, but then it went on to have one of the best series finales of all time.

I'm sure everyone's encountered at least one show that lost them for awhile but went on to redeem itself.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Which one?

Just curious.

It's been awhile... I think it was season 3? Or possibly 4. (But I think it was 3.) I know other people who stalled at the same place, whichever it was.

I guess I should rewatch SFU at some point, my memory of it is pretty hazy.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Deadpool posted:

That wasn't the question. The question was was there a guide or chart to when one should stop watching a show. The only person that should decide this is the person watching the show. Other people's opinions on the quality shouldn't really dictate when someone should stop watching a show. It doesn't hurt to get opinions on what other people think if the path of the show but asking for definitive jump off points based in some stranger's opinion is just not the way to do it.

Just watch a show until you don't want to watch it anymore. It really is that simple.

But my point was, if you follow that rule, then you might stop during one of these dips in quality and miss out on some really great stuff. I've soldiered through bits of shows that I hated because reliable sources told me that there was good stuff still to come.

Edit: I guess that's what you meant about getting opinions on what other people think of the path of the show, but I don't see how that's really any different from checking out a chart of those opinions and taking that with a grain of salt.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 3, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

P&R is still tailspinning into mediocrity, though.

zoux posted:

He's right though.

What you both deserve:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, the episode a few weeks ago mocking Obamacare is a good example of that. "We knew Obamacare wasn't going to work even though we waited until it failed in some regard to say so." :smuggo:

That's a dumb spin to put on it, considering it was just mocking the website debacle and not the concept of Obamacare itself.

You might as well be attributing the same motivations to The Daily Show or various late-night hosts for mocking the website issues.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

zoux posted:

Why does everyone like Darabont so much again?

Have you seen The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption, and The Mist?

I really want him to one day make a movie out of The Long Walk. He's talked about wanting to... if anybody could pull it off, he probably could.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Community is still on?! Did it get good again?

Time will tell, since it doesn't return until January, but the original showrunner is back in control, and they've announced a lot of great guest stars for this season, so I'm hopeful, at least!

However, Chevy Chase is no longer in it, and Donald Glover will only be in 5/13 episodes this season. :(

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Opera is often subtitled these days (or overtitled, since they project them above the stage), but there are the opera equivalent of weeaboos who throw hissy-fits over this desecration of their precious popular theater.

Yeah, back in high school, we had a field trip to see the Barber of Seville, with projected subtitles... it was honestly pretty great and accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Occupation posted:

Hey so uh telltale games announced yesterday night on the VGX awards that they're doing a season of an officially licensed made-in-conjunction-with-HBO Game of Thrones adventure game.

So, um, yeah. Are telltale games reaching a point wherein we could feasibly discuss them in TVIV? Like, they have seasons of "shows" and each season has a distinct set of episodes attempting to tell a larger narrative within those seasons. They even seem to have showrunner-adjuncts that can determine creative direction of each season as it "airs". If this is the new path telltale is attempting to carve in cross-media creations I think a TVIV thread on the latest season of whatever "showgame" (for lack of a better word) could have tremendous value

And it's not like those threads could be any worse than the current got and TWD threads...

Why... not just go to the relevant threads in Games?

grrarg posted:

I am finally getting around to watching Fringe and just watched the Peter episode. That was amazing, and I am glad I was not watching as it aired. It must have been brutal seeing an outstanding episode like that then wondering if the show would get another season, much less a chance to wrap up all the plot lines. Long live streaming binges!

The show gets so great from that point out. You have some especially good episodes just ahead.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 9, 2013

• Locked thread