Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Anybody here who has seen a ton of Never Mind the Buzzcocks? At some point (I think during the Simon Amstell period) Phill Jupitus went on a long joke about a Victorian steampowered vibrator, and it was hilarious and I want to find it to watch again but all my searching has been fruitless. Although I did get to see the episode with Richard Ayoade as the host, which just made my day.

Does anyone know what episode I'm talking about?

(Also, just googled Simon Amstell and learned he's 6'7"?! He seemed like such a dainty man behind that desk.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
YAY! Thank you, I would never have found that on my own. And I feel much more settled learning Simon Amstell is not behemoth-sized after all. (No offense to any 6'7" or taller goon reading this.)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Rectify took me four episodes to really get into (and it's only six episodes long), but goddamn, if those last two episodes aren't some of the best TV I've seen in years. They completely validate the hype surrounding the show.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A while back, someone posted in this thread a list of the must-see episodes of Persons of Interest for those who were thinking of starting the series but were unsure if they'd like it. Can someone link to that?

I had a dream about the show last night and now I want to watch it. :shobon:

I'm also curious about what is going on with Jim Caviezel that makes people complain he can't act -- I've seen in him in a handful of movies and he's been good in all of them.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

It wasn't a list of episodes to watch. What happened was that most people starting the show find those first 13 episodes to be a little wobbly, so I created a list of "checkpoints" to measure yourself against. I'll try to dig up that list a little later, but the short version is this: Most people have trouble around the pilot, but try to give it until Episode 13 ("Root Cause"). In the run-up to that episode, you'll find that 4, 7, and I think 10 are fantastic episodes, but the rest run hot and cold; nobody really sees "HOLY gently caress GREATEST SHOW EVER" during that time.

After 13 the show stays mostly consistent and often great, with only a few below-average episodes and one outright terrible one. But again, that depends on you feeling the vibe after episode 13.

Thanks -- this is exactly what I wanted the list for. When I see lists of must-see episode titles, I don't skip the others, but I look forward to the ones that I know have been highlighted for whatever reason.

So knowing that Irish Joe listed and bolded "Relevance" in the 2nd season as especially noteworthy, I'll watch with that in mind.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

VDay posted:

The nice thing about "slogging" through the early PoI episodes is that they still end up paying off in terms of character development. You get a lot of little moments between Reese and Finch that lay the ground work for their relationship throughout the show. I mean, the premise of the show is that an emotionally broken ex-soldier partners up with a weird genius recluse. That shouldn't really work all that well and the show does a really nice job of making their partnership feel earned instead of just instantly making them best friends who trust each other with their lives from the get-go just because it's a TV show. That kind of earning/building of trust happens with pretty much every character as well and it's one of my favorite things about PoI.

Cool. That sounds a lot like what I enjoyed so much about Alphas -- no character interaction of any kind was a wasted moment. Instead of isolating "character moments" into discreet scenes, they were worked into all of the dialogue and you were constantly learning new things about the characters or watching their relationships develop. And instead of being told, for example, that Bill is the papa bear of the group, you him grow into that role as you watched the characters grow to know each other. So there were no throwaway episodes, because even if the main plot happened to be weak, you learned something new and interesting about everyone that you would have missed out on had you skipped that week.

I've never seen a show do that so well as Alphas did. If Persons of Interest comes anywhere close, I know I'll enjoy it.

E: Thanks for the extra details, DivisionPost.

E2: And now I want to go back and marathon Alphas. The pain of cancellation after season 2 was too great for me to consider doing it before, but I...I think I'm ready now. :unsmith:

At least season 1, before things got dark.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 23, 2013

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Hannibal thread lost its poo poo during the finale. It was glorious. :allears:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is Season 4 of Boardwalk better than season 3? Because I just finished season 3 and I kind of hate everyone now. Except Richard because who could hate that face? :allears: (: And I know what happens to him at the end of season 4 because I'm alive and posting on the internet. One more reason to put off season 4.)

E:

PriorMarcus posted:

Boardwalk Empire is a really good show, but I don't think it's a great one.

I would agree with this.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Character descriptions for Supernatural: Tribes;
MARGO HAYDEN | David's "professional, strong-willed, determined, ambitious" shape-shifter sister. She's an "ex-punk rocker gone corporate" who sets out to be the new head of the family in the wake of a tragedy. Margo is in her early 20s.

Ahaha, how can you be either one of those things at like 22? Never change, CW.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Now, TV QUESTION TIME; I've just finished watching Rectify with my girlfriend and I'm trying to think of another series to watch with her. I've seen a lot of the big shows and loved them, but I'm still unsure what I should recommend next.

She liked Breaking Bad and Mad Men, she liked Rectify and LOVED Friday Night Lights. Comedy isn't something she's a big fan of, we watched some of Community and Parks and Rec but she stalled out. She likes The Vampire Diaries and Fringe, but I'm kind of bored of science fiction at the moment myself so I'm looking more for drama, preferably short seasons or something that there's a lot of to binge.

I was thinking Game of Thrones but I'd love other recommendations based on the above.

Thanks guys!

I'm late but watch Hannibal. First season is 13 episodes and you'll be all caught up to watch season 2 when it starts in 16 days.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

soapgish posted:

Speaking of Showtime, PENNY DREADFUL looks like it's going to be a hoot. Eva Green and Josh Hartnett is about all the pretty any one screen can handle, and the production design looks appropriately cold and misery-struck.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFXHfEqMcis

Is that an original story or an adaptation of a book?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I loved that 2-3 episode arc in the first season in which Sylar and Mohinder were on a road trip and Sylar was surreptitiously murdering all the mutants they found. That was pretty awesome. And I legit jumped out of my chair when Nathan was revealed to be Sylar in the flash forward in the finale. That was really awesome.

Then it all went to hell.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

hope and vaseline posted:

Hah, that's why I love the Hannibal thread. People are just kind of morbidly impressed with the cinematography and how delicious all the meals prepared look. It's... it's only got leg in it right? I'd... I'd try that...

You spoke too soon! The forum cancer has metastasized. :(

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

So it was announced that the next season of American Horror Story will take place in a 'spooky carnival'.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/17/american-horror-story-season-4_n_4978440.html

What the gently caress. IT'S BEEN DONE.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Twee as gently caress posted:

Look at this guy who still has his hopes up after the last season.

Then again considering how AHS is in full Ryan Murphy curse mode at the moment, dealing with Gypsies seems like a natural step.

I don't watch AHS; my love for Carnivale is undying and this new thing is just rubbing salt in the wound.

PSA: if "spooky carnival" sounds good to you and you haven't yet seen Carnivale....well, you know what you have to do now, don't you?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Money can't buy me love

and

Mo money mo problems

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hi, if I may interrupt, where did the current forum go? Clicking on the TV IV link in the leader takes me to archives from December.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Click "Remove". You must have gone to the archives recently and didn't get rid of them.

Whew, thank you. I thought I was in a time warp.

Speaking of, does anyone know how I may watch the Doctor Who episodes featuring the 8th Doctor? Netflix doesn't have them.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is he...pole dancing on an invisible pole?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you haven't seen Timothy Dalton's AV Club interview....well, now you have no excuse.

He seems absolutely lovely. :allears: I'll watch Penny Dreadful just for him.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, because I live near Philadelphia, the Hannibal finale was pre-empted for me by a shameful baseball game, and I finally FINALLY got to watch the finale tonight.

I feel like I did after I read Blood Meridian for the first time. Nothing could have prepared me for that, and I don't want to watch TV again for a month or three because what could possibly compare?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Reminder that Galavant is a show that will exist and air on national television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPNVhGbw_Sg

I'd watch that for Timothy Omundson alone. He looks like he's having so much fun. :3:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

Putting aside precision's blatant attempt to bait people into overreacting to his terrible post, this just happened.

Thanks for posting that! I'm a librarian, I had to donate, and almost 30 other people have donated since I opened that link 5 minutes ago. :neckbeard:

Reading Is Fundamental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

. Then again, season 2 of Rectify is coming up and...

When is that going to be?

• Locked thread