Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Go listen to 808s and Heartbreak, then come back and apologize.

You spelled Age of Adz wrong.

Also I watched the pilot of Twin Peaks last week and am fully on board. Lynchy as hell and Kyle McLachlan being delightful? Yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

zoux posted:

Are we Michelle MacLaren bros....

Who isn't a Michaelle MacLaren bro?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I have to jump in and correct the record because season three of Justified owns bones. Quarles is, as others have said, a delightful brand of unpredictable sociopathy, and the four-way chess match between the various factions in Harlan is ridiculously fun.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I'm watching tonight's episode of The Good Wife with my parents and it's making me wonder why I ever stopped watching the show.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

raditts posted:

That ain't glue in that hair.

Hot.

I'm wrapping up a rewatch of Louie. I posted this on twitter but it bears repeating: If the "Late Show" episodes aren't considered classic episodes of TV in five years, something went terribly wrong.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Who won baseball?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

zoux posted:

The Boston Red Socks.

Don't they never ever win or is that a different team?

spoilers I don't follow sports very closely

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Crowbear posted:

You might be thinking of the Cubs. The Red Sox used to be the team that never won but this is their 3rd world series in 10 years.

Gotcha.

I've got an 18-hour bus ride ahead of me tonight, and there are a bunch of stops/transfers so I won't get a full night's sleep. I think I'm going to get my hands on some American Horror Story to celebrate Halloween since I'm not in a position to actually do Halloween things tonight :(

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

NBC :D

e: holy poo poo, it is NBC?? :psyduck: indeed.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

IRQ posted:

The article implied that it would be exactly that.

Also, ugh.

Yeah, and yeah. This is dumb as hell.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

zoux posted:

Holy poo poo:
http://video.bobdylan.com/desktop.html

Press up and down on your keyboard to "flip channels"

That is incredible.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

You should watch the finale if only so that it convinces you to drop the show. (Or at least that's how it worked for me.)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Cactus posted:

You have to enjoy unpleasant feelings to like Girls. It certainly isn't for everyone and no-one should feel like they're missing out or not understanding something if they don't like it, despite what numerous articles written about the show would want to have you believe.

I've watched both seasons of Girls and understand it perfectly and am beyond done with it.

To be more positive, I've been watching through Always Sunny and it's so great. I think I've reached a point where I have to take at least a couple days' break from it so I don't burn out. I can only embrace the horribleness for so long at a time.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Happy thanksgiving y'all :) I'm going to wrap mine up by watching some more Twin Peaks, reading, and steeling myself to work Black Friday :black101:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I just watched the pilot of AHS the other day and holy poo poo I need to watch it all.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

You can say the same thing about The Nutcracker and it wouldn't make that show any less boring. Here's the thing about opera, ballet and classical symphonies: we're all familiar with them because they're associated with things we like (Big Bird, Natalie Portman and Looney Tunes, respectively). Remove that association and all that's left are things we don't really enjoy on their own. I know opera tends to get a pass because its 'sophisticated,' but think of it this way: you don't like Polka even though Weird Al has produced a hundred awesome polka mash-ups, so why do you think other people would enjoy Carmen just because it was on Sesame Street 30 years ago?

I wasn't gonna take the bait but if you're gonna pretend that my giant music boner for Mahler and Tchaikovsky is because of nostalgia, you're high as poo poo. If you don't like classical/orchestral music that's fine I guess but it's not because the music isn't powerful on its own.

You're probably just loving with us anyway, so whatever.

Anyway, I watched the pilot of American Horror Story a few days ago. It was pretty great. Looking forward to seeing where the craziness goes from there. I also liked the pitch-black humor, like the image of Dylan McDermott jacking it while sobbing uncontrollably.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I got a little put off from Helix after seeing the trailer 40 billion times while watching the Twilight Zone marathon on New Year's Eve. Oh well, hope it's good anyway!

Also I watched the pilot of Justified again today and OOPS looks like I'm doing a rewatch. Sorry, American Horror Story, looks like I'm getting sidetracked for a bit.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Omelette du Fromage posted:

I think Avatar has to be in the list of best sci fi movies

Nah. Best special effects? Yes. Best of any type of movie? Absolutely not.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Don't forget Justified!

I didn't. :smug: Currently almost done rewatching the first season!

Justified's dialogue is so loving fun even when it's serious. I love this show.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I've given up trying to understand your "taste" in television.

Let alone music.

In easier-to-understand news, Justified remains fantastic. I'm so excited for a season about (extremely mild season 5 spoiler) the Crowes.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't like Justified one bit.

Sucks to be you. I just got my parents to start watching and I'm rewatching along with them. Season one isn't quite as good as the rest but it's still great TV. The dialogue is constantly delightful.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Really I loving love Justified, it's one of my favourite shows at the moment and you're right about the dialogue.

Oh cool. Then it sucks less to be you! :hfive:

PriorMarcus posted:

I actually believe that Timophy is making a choice to act stoic as well rather than whatever Jim thinks he's doing.

Even though PoI basically went in one ear and out the other for me - I enjoyed it while watching but can barely dredge up any details if I try to talk about it - I like Caviezel's performance once the show got going. He's stoic but there's quite a bit of humor to it and he sells the deadpan. However, Olyphant definitely gives a much more nuanced performance in Justified.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Peta posted:

I'm finna watch all of House again from start to finish

I feel like I probably missed some deetz here and there back when it was my youth anthem

Hey I want to punch you a lot. Not because of House but because of the words in this post.

Also the Archer premiere was so loving good. If there's a way to throw an old formula out the window and go in a new direction, that's it right there.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

He watches and loves 2 Broke Girls. Why do you think he has a problem with racist poo poo?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Having finished first season of AHS last week, it's really good. Looking forward to season two, especially if it's more bonkers than the first.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Iron Man 3 was the 2nd highest grossing movie of 2013. People still really care about superheroes.

At least Iron Man 3 was really good, unlike The Avengers. I haven't watched Agents of SHIELD but if it's a low-budget Avengers then it's gotta be dire.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

zoux posted:

e: ahaha BBC got SIR David Attenborough to do curling commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPYOoPy3t5A

This is the best and I wish the Olympics were commentated like this all the time.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

zoux posted:

I will forgive all this BSG/LOST bullshit if someone posts the gif of fat Lee saluting a cheeseburger.

I got a new computer so I don't have that one anymore and can't find it, but the original is pretty great, too.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

precision posted:

If you want to pretend it's the story of Rust Chole's "missing years", check out McConaughey in Mud on Netflix. Surprisingly good flick.

Why is it surprisingly good? It's from the writer/director of Take Shelter, which owns bones, and stars Matthew McConaughey, who owns bones.

(Sorry, I just really like the phrase "owns bones.")

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

zoux posted:

It was only recently that McConaghey began to own bones.

Tropic Thunder came out in 2008. :colbert:

e: also this:

Junkenstein posted:

Even if you believe he was poo poo until 'recently', he had good stuff behind him going in to Mud. Killer Joe alone......

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah but even if he only started owning bones in 2011 then Mud was still out during the period when he should be expected to own those bones.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

zoux posted:

Ok 1994-2010: Zero bones owned.
2011 - hence: Many bones owned.

THAT'S RECENTLY.

Again, Tropic Thunder was 2008 and at least one bone was owned in that.

Speaking of McConaughey owning bones, TV chat: finally getting around to True Detective. Two episodes in so far and it's great poo poo. I like how the case is sort of a backdrop and reflection of Rust and Marty's character development.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

zoux posted:

Congratulations on already understanding the show better than 90% of the show thread posters.

:c00lbert:

Cart posted:

Nah man, Frailty was always underrated and McConaughey was great in it. Everyone should watch Killer Joe though.

Guess I need to watch Frailty, and yes they do need to watch Killer Joe. And post their reactions :allears:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

precision posted:

I was only surprised that Mud is really good because I hadn't heard anyone talk about it.

I am glad to have sparked so much discussion on "Bones (Owning Of)".

Me too since that phrase, as the kids say these days, owns many bones.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Joramun posted:

And how about those opening credits!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRo3ylqqJrg

Oh yeah I love em. It gets the ethereal noir feel of the show down perfectly. What song is that, by the way? It sounds like the singer from The Magnetic Fields but I don't know the song.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Thank ya both!

Also yeah McConaughey took all kinds of poo poo roles for a long time; all I was saying is that last year it wasn't unexpected that he was good in a good movie. This tangent has been hella funny though so I'm glad I started it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I don't think you clicked on that link.

Ahaha I sure didn't, but I also love that.

Man I'm behind on Parks and Rec. It's running a little thin at this point but it's still fun, so I should catch up sometime.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I didn't have a kid but there isn't any possibility to have internet in my apartment so I don't have access to the usual streaming services :smith: I have to rely on the hospitality of friends to get to watch True Detective :(

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

zoux posted:

Makes me feel better about Hannibal's chances though.

What are Hannibal's ratings like in comparison? (Phoneposting with slow-rear end internet or I'd look it up myself.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

VDay posted:

Exactly how much of my life I've wasted just watching TV is up there with 'total amount of money I've spent on booze' for things I never actually want to know about myself. ~*~Blissful ignorance~*~

Same. I went to that site and put like four shows in and then decided gently caress that.

Irish Joe posted:

I don't know why any of this is shocking to people. Studies suggest that Americans spend anywhere between two to four hours a day watching television. Even if you're on the low end and only watch two hours a day, by age 25 you would have spent two full years of your life in front of the television. And with tablets, cell phones and all that poo poo increasing our screen time exponentially, its likely that many of us will spend more than half our lives staring at a screen.

Sure. My question is: do ereaders count? Because I read a shitload and just got a kindle. :ohdear:

• Locked thread