Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ufarn posted:

Bryan Cranston is quite good as well. Don't think I can say the same for Jon Hamm, though.
Poor guy's just stuck in the bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I have high hopes for the second season of Hostages. If it somehow doesn't get canceled I think it could be one of the greatest trainwrecks in TV history.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TV Couch Chat: Please help us properly contextualize the Joss Whedon metadiscussion.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sex House actually did deserve all the praise it got. It was what America wanted to see.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Will Hulu have the new episode of Community up tomorrow?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Two episodes, actually, and why wouldn't they?
I don't really keep up with Hulu, so I was just checking to make sure their contract hadn't changed or something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Serenity if the worst movie I've ever seen on HD DVD
What was the worst movie on BluRay?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Just got done watching the first season of Orphan Black. It was good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I realized the other day that Orphan Black might be one of the most progressive shows I've seen on TV, from a feminist perspective. All the major characters are women, men in the show exist only to interact with women characters, and the lead character isn't motivated by revenge (at least initially), unlike other action/suspense shows with a female lead. It's pretty impressive.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lelandjs posted:

It's a TNT show, which should tell you all you need to know about it.

It's nothing transcendent, but it is a fun show about fun criminals with some serious dramatic moments along the way. If you like White Collar or Burn Notice, you'll probably like Leverage.
There's also a really good tabletop RPG based on it, if you're interested in making your own heist stories.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

And wrestling! Now lets combine the two...
You just described Syfy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

I legitimately forgot that happened until right now because that's one of the less crazy things that happens that season. That's how nuts Season 2 is.
In a weird way, season 1 has more surprising moments than season 2. In season 1 there are still rules to be broken. Season 2 goes so completely off the rails that you're just along for the ride.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thwomp posted:

It's good if you like historical pieces (and even better if you like naughty pius people). It's a bit of a shame it never got to really finish its story.
One of the nice things about historical series is that even if they get cancelled, you know how they end.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

Reductionism is also bullshit that I hate.
This is a post.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think it's pretty clear that the only good shows that have ever aired on television are Everyday with Rachel Ray and That Girl, which leads me to hope that they will remake That Girl and cast Rachel Ray as that girl (the one from That Girl).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Deadpool posted:

Time to take a break.
-- Kurt Cobain, 1994

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The above post is hilarious if you assume it's talking about any classic rock artist. Insert the Beatles, or the Rolling Stones, or Elvis, or Chuck Berry, or whoever, and it reads exactly the same.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

Somehow I doubt Chuck Berry fans are gonna be extolling Tool.
You're right, Tool fans mostly are into Bo Diddley.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

You can make giant lists of albums for any decade, doesn't make it any less the worst. Both indie and rap had much better 2000-2009 than 1990-1999. Mainstream rock took a giant dump, but pretty much everything else got much better.
Isn't your favorite band the Killers?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think it was a joke, though. I think it was a serious post.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

In this world Couch Chat is just the cool stoner guys who just sort of laugh at everyone and anyone around them.
Couch chat is all the kids who hung out with each other because nobody else would. None of them liked each other much though and things were pretty tense when two of them ended up working at the same Burger King after school.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seriously though this whole forum is a bunch of children.

Edit: Countdown to Aatrek joke in...

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 19, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Deadpool posted:

I already made that joke. That's what started this latest tangent.
Oh, then that was deliberate. It's a callback. That's funny, right? Recurring jokes? Hahahahaha that Kramer.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TV IV Couch Chat: Melba toast reminds us of our mortality.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Orphan Black.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I heard that Matthew McConaughey was responsible for the ending to Battlestar Galactica.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

That's fair. Frankly, I tend to get most annoyed by it when it's leveled towards a show I enjoy, so this is probably more on me than anyone else.

But it's like this. You know that sports radio guy? You know the caricature: He's got that booming voice that puts his weight at around 300 lbs, scratchy from decades of rampant, unchecked insistence? Probably regrets marrying his wife, having that third child who turned out to be kind of a retard (in his view)? Probably thinks if he made different choices he could've been more than some mid-level construction guy, liked well enough by his peers and underlings but is constantly poo poo on by his bosses? But by god he's been a fan of [Sports Team] all his life and he sure knows better than the people who have actually been doing this poo poo for years and have access to information he doesn't have!

And you loving hate him, right? The thing is, you do the same thing he always does, and you've even agreed with him a couple of times here and there! But there's something about him that makes you hate sports talk radio as a whole. It's irrational, but it's present, and for whatever reason you have to work a little harder to get past it.

For whatever reason, phrases like "lazy writing," if it's not out of people I already somewhat respect, trigger that for me; I read that phrase and the poster's voice suddenly switches to that caricature. And again, that's probably on me, and that's absolutely hypocritical; I know I get that way sometimes, and I'm sure I come off the exact same way to other people around here. Still, it's present and I don't know how to get around it.
Wow, talk about a divisive post.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

I remember mentioning 1x20 a lot because that's the first episode where I started thinking Velma might be gay in this series*
The one where she develops an intense crush on a mermaid/older married woman didn't tip you off?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think we should have a thread for classic Nickelodeon cartoons, and I think it should be titled "Aatrek!!! Real Monsters."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Basically people treat television as a game of peek-a-boo. If you know when your mom is going to move her hands, it ruins the game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Slamhound posted:

What if you spoiled a show and shot the guy's mother?

Asking for a friend.
It's okay to shoot their mother as long as you don't tell them about it. Let them find out for themselves.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Spoilers really aren't gonna "ruin" things for you, I dunno, unless you read like every detail of what's gonna happen. Just hearing so-and-so is gonna die isn't gonna totally sap the experience of watching it unfold. Two things though, one being it's still fair to prefer not to be spoiled, and secondly with the GoT series it's hilarious seeing people act like real men of letters because they read a fantasy series for nerds
Shortly before his death, James Joyce referred to Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser as greatest work of literature in the English language, prompting him to give up entirely on his own writing. So don't think fantasy is "just for nerds."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

Just wait til the next big ole fight about spoilers in the Couch Chat thread, forecast for any minute now.
Please try to respect other posters' rights, thank you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

It's just real bad. Here in women's prison they run around looking for magical chickens and having adventures, almost everyone is a good quirky person who just went wrong in life, except for the literally insane redneck Christian drug addict. I think the one scene that represents the show best is when that cool inmate Poussey is doing her full-on "bitch, girllll" ebonics-speak while namedropping The Smiths or someone like that. When I watched the last episode and saw it was setting up season two I was pretty disappointed that I didn't get a conclusion because I'm definitely not watching season 2.
This all works way better if you assume that the main character is an unreliable narrator, and she just translates events into a framework she can understand. Poussey didn't actually say The Smiths, that's just what she translated it to mentally.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So we're all in agreement that pretty much anything is better than TV at this point, right?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm getting into the fast and exciting world of serialized radio dramas. See you later, TV plebs.
You joke, but Firesign Theater is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The personal issues in the Manhattan Project are actually really interesting. The government built three towns from nothing, kept their purposes secret even from many of the people living there, and relocated hundreds of people. At least one of these towns, Hanford, is now completely empty - the entire town was evacuated when the facility was shut down. People who grew up there can never go back to their home town. There's a lot of fascinating stuff related to the Project that isn't the bombs themselves.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Unironically though, all Russians are blonde self-mutilating crazies. Putin, Stalin, Pussy Riot, Boris Badenov, all of them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think Orphan Black would be better if it was written by Dan Harmon and directed by Joss Whedon and produced by J. J. Abrams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

Joss Whedon is a terrible director
Gosh, really? I thought his strong portrayals of powerful women would fit well with Orphan Black's themes and style.

• Locked thread