Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Mu Zeta posted:

I usually don't recognize any of the director names but I definitely noticed Rian Johnson when his name popped up in Breaking Bad.

Yeah after the "Fly" episode of Breaking Bad I started paying attention to him. Rian going on to do the "Fifty-One" and above all "Ozymandias" episodes as well as Looper has solidified him as someone to look out for in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

escape artist posted:

Two shows did Flowers for Algernon parodies last night.

Two sitcoms.

On the same network.

That aired back to back.

Even the titles were the same, Flowers for (character's name)

I initially thought this would be disastrous. Turns out it was pretty great. Anyone else check out the double feature of funny Flowers for Algernon parodies?

The It's Always Sunny ep was pretty great. I gave up on The League a third of the way through Season 4 though so I've got nothing on that.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Rabbit Hill posted:

(Also, just googled Simon Amstell and learned he's 6'7"?! He seemed like such a dainty man behind that desk.)

Simon Amstell is definitely not 6'7". He's probably just under 6ft.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I dropped the League about halfway through Season 4. Something wasn't clicking like it did in Seasons 1-3, which I still think are fantastic. It just felt like it was treading the same ground over and over again.

E:

Best of season 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLUaszCUPFo

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 29, 2013

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

The Genius coming back next month isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCHcnw6HZh4

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Eezee posted:

Edit: Genius Season 1 Spoiler: Is it really that odd that he is defending his title?

I think it's fine. He deserves to be back on anyway since he was almost always the one who pulled off some amazing poo poo to pull off a glorious victory. Counting cards, reading the tiny differences on the back of cards etc.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Irish Joe posted:

The first season bored the poo poo out of me so I figured I'd just skip to the good stuff.

You ended up skipping the best stuff. Season 4 was very good but I agree with you that it felt a lot like Season 1. Both seasons feel like prologues to the real meat of the story, but I love how slow Boardwalk is and it always pays off, at least for me.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Rarity posted:

How the hell do people still think Irish Joe is serious about anything?

Gives me an excuse to blather about Boardwalk so it's all cool to me :)

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

:siren::parrot:The Genius is back:parrot::siren::

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1870ol_eng-the-genius-2-ep-1-food-chain-1-2_videogames
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x187awy_eng-the-genius-2-ep-1-food-chain-2-2_videogames

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

zoux posted:

Hmm there's a Parks and Recreation town hall meeting in my city tonight. I may go to complain because I found a sandwich on the sidewalk in a local park and it made me sick when I ate it.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

ubergnu posted:

Ok. Just saw the last episode of Breaking Bad, season 2. I mean, obviously they could end a season like that, but holy poo poo! All that pool stuff in the pre-titles? Wouldn't have been able to guess what that was about in a thousand years.

edit: aaaand I just watched the intro to season 3, episode one. Yeah, gonna be interesting to see the explanation for that one.

Season 3 is where it really kicks into high gear. Buckle up.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

BrooklynBruiser posted:

You are deeply and profoundly broken inside.

I've watched QI since the beginning and even I admit it's getting stale. The show has really felt like it's going through the motions for at least a couple of seasons now.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Cart posted:

Thanks for this! As an exiled Brit panel shows and Top Gear are my only way to reconnect with the homeland. What's the consensus best panel show by the way, Nevermind The Buzzcocks? Or has that gone to poo poo since Amstell went off and did other things.

8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown :colbert:

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Bown posted:

Started watching The Genius and the twist at the end of the first episode completely melted my brain. This is great stuff.

You've seen nothing yet.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Finally got around to watching True Detective and it's pretty great, but my god episode 4 was a masterpiece. The last 15 minutes were just some loving fantastic television, also McConaughey is killing it every scene.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: How's the latest season of Parks and Rec? Stopped watching last season.

Parks is still in the decent to good range, but feels like it's spinning its wheels more and more to me. The last episode before they went on mid-season break really felt like it could've been a great end of the series, hearing that another season has been commissioned in some way bums me out because I don't think the show will come anywhere close to the dizzying heights of Seasons 2-4. The more it goes on I can only see it getting worse.

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 28, 2014

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I looked this up and it has Sinead O'Connor in it, I'm sold, now to find out how the gently caress to watch this from the US. Can I just jump in or is there a good recent point to try?

Don't loving watch Hollyoaks for the love of god. Do literally anything else but watch a single episode of any British soap because it's never worth it, even ironically.

It actually depresses me how little TV I watch from my homeland of the UK. Like seriously, everything I watch now is American or some Scandinavian drama since the sheer variety and quality is utterly superior. The only show I watch from the UK when it's on is something like Only Connect because everything else is utter, utter poo poo or I lost interest in a long time ago (stuff like QI, Sherlock etc). Maybe I'm not looking hard enough anymore but any time I catch something on British TV nowadays it almost always makes me want to claw my eyes out.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I've literally just started watching The Shield for the first time (on the second last ep of season 1) and I'm enjoying it immensely. There definitely is some of that forced edginess but god drat are there great moments too. When Dutch finally catches the serial killer and how he buys time for warrants etc was magical. Also when Julian(?) puts his gun away and begs to be killed by the guy he was chasing was brilliant.

Really enjoying it so far and hope it only gets better.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Occupation posted:

The shield ride along

I'm binging through the show for the first time (currently on Season 4) and I'd sign up for this just to kick in doors what feels like 50 times a season.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Bown posted:

edit as to not double post: I started watching Trailer Park Boys recently and it's loving awesome! From how little people talk about it I assumed it was like the tiniest niche in the world but it's just a really really loving funny comedy show with some of the smartest "these guys are idiots" humour I've ever seen

Trailer Park Boys is an amazing comedy, definitely in my Top 5 of all time if only for the fact that you can watch any episode and it's bound to be hilarious. Just wait until you get to episodes like "Closer To The Heart", "Conky", "Jim Lahey Is a Fuckin Drunk and He Always Will Be", "Propane, Propane", "Friends of the Road". gently caress, there's so many.

Smokes, let's go.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Fooz posted:

Do people have no limit to the amount of superhero content they're willing to consume? Three Iron Mans, two thors, two captain planets, five spider mans, three batmans, three seperate hulks, two supermen, seven X-men. Am I cursed to be a grumpy curmudgeon for another decade?

You're not the only one. Sure there's been some great superhero movies over the last 10+ years but it's gotten so much now I can't give a poo poo anymore. I guess I'm burnt out on the genre but I haven't even seen most of the movies you mentioned. Only saw the first Iron Man, the first Thor, the three Batmans, the Raimi Spidermans, one Hulk, maybe three X-Men, no Captain America, no Green Lantern, no Fantastic Four, no Superman.

I know people who have seen every single one of these movies since X-Men in 2000 and they still get hyped. I guess I just don't have it in me despite being a massive nerd who should love every minute of it. I'd rather watch TV :unsmith:

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

zoux posted:

Is @midnight faked improv? I see them looking down at their podiums a lot before answering.

Yeah it is kind of. Hannah Hart said she had time to prepare in one of her videos, plus the writers for the show have backup jokes for them to use just incase.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

MrAristocrates posted:

You're forgetting about Mads-senpai.

:allears:

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

E: nvm

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

raditts posted:

I've always found it weird how romanticized World War II is in American pop culture. I mean I'm sure part of it is that the bulk of it is a clear GI Joe vs. Cobra style delineation of good guys vs. bad guys and that makes for good storytelling, but is any other country quite as obsessed with WW2 to the point of making multiple magazines about it? I mean, I feel like there's gotta be a point where your magazine has covered everything noteworthy.

I don't know about magazines, but Britain can be pretty drat obsessed over WW2 (The Blitz, standing alone against Germany, Dunkirk etc). I feel that sentiment has kinda faded in recent years but it's certainly still somewhat strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I keep forgetting The Sopranos was watched by a shitload of people.

• Locked thread