Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I am way down to watch Irish Joe argue with Yoshifan over which Taylor Swift songs are good. We need something this stupid to erase the thoughts of what happened yesterday.

Also I had to look it up to make sure that "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" was an actual song title and not just a joke about how that's literally all Taylor Swift sings about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
6'7" isn't "Oh I never knew that guy was tall", it's "Holy poo poo that dude is really god drat tall" territory. Not sure why wikipedia has him listed as that, but he's definitely closer to ~6'.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't see why you wouldn't just go and watch seasons 1 and 2 if you like the show. They're pretty good and a lot of fun, with a pretty ridiculous pace (especially season 1) that should keep you entertained/interested enough to push through them. I personally stopped watching at the beginning of season 3 because things slowed down a lot and the show seemed to be spinning its wheels while they set everything up, but who knows it could've gotten right back on track. Like I said though I dunno why you wouldn't just watch the whole series, unless you live some crazy, active lifestyle and are trying to catch up by the time season 4 starts in a month.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I'm not in that thread but I thought the pilot was really corny and leaned too heavily on "WHAT SORCERY IS THIS FLASH-LIGHT" gags but it settled into itself and got really good by the third ep. That said, If you aren't into it by the third or fourth installment, then the show's not for you.

I'd have to disagree. For a major show I think they've done a phenomenal job of avoiding the really obvious/dumb time traveler memes. For example, instead of having a WHAT IS THIS HORSELESS CARRIAGE moment the first time Crane sees a car, they instead don't say anything about it but have a 5 second scene later where Crane is mesmerized by the power windows going up/down. When handed a pistol and told that it's a gun, Crane scoffs because of course he knows how guns work. Later on he shoots it, drops it, and runs away, only to be surprised when told it can fire more than once.

There's a couple of other really good ones too, but I don't want to just list them all and spoil it for people. Point being, I think they've done a much better job than can be expected with that stuff. Instead of being a goofy fish-out-of-water character, Crane's instead an intelligent, competent man who understands that the future is different and isn't constantly surprised by every little thing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I keep trying to read that combination of words but halfway through something snaps in my brain and I go blind for a couple of seconds.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I could definitely see somebody getting a major award on TWD. Not any of the current cast/characters, but if somebody new was introduced and became an integral part of the show then the potential for some great human drama is there. The show's just been hilariously inconsistent until this season and has had way too many characters that the writers had zero clue what to do with. Now that it's more toned down and appears more focused, I can definitely see someone coming in and stealing the show.

I mean, I don't actually think it'll happen because I'm not quite that optimistic, but it wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world. The fact that it's ludicrously popular would help too. I mean, how many Emmys has Modern Family and BBT been nominated for?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

piratepilates posted:

Ha ha ha, that sure is a good Onion article.

Don't worry he's an "industrious Mexican", not one of those lazy ones.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's not still ongoing :(

But yes watch all of it. Andy's sickness and death forced them to do a prequel season after season 1 but it ended up being fantastic. Liam takes over and eventually lives up to the role very well. Make sure you watch the prequel after season 1, the way it was aired.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I thought the first episode was pretty bad on my rewatch, much worse than when I just blasted through the first 7-8 episodes the first time I started watching the show. It comes off as this awful 300 rip-off without particularly interesting characters and some cheesy plot. It's pretty incredible how good the show just decided to be after episode 4 and how consistent it was for the rest of its run.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The overall plot really picks up as well I think. Season one just kind of drops suggestions here and there until the finale, but season 2 and season 3 especially really put it front and center a lot more. It also helps that the plot goes to some really neat places and does some legitimately cool things with the machine and what its deal is.

Also if you need even more reasons to get caught up, Amy Acker starts being a bigger part of the show and she is absolutely fantastic.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there no thread for Almost Human? I thought someone made it a while ago but I can't find it now. First episode is this Sunday, I'm getting pretty excited.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Tons of empty, white space and boxy layouts filled with big screenshots and tiny bits of text are all the rage in web design these days, and I haven't met a single person who actually likes it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mu Zeta posted:

Why isn't it How I Met Your Father?

Is it weird that this is the thing that bothers/annoys me the most about this spinoff?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Edmond Dantes posted:

I just finished Spartacus' first season... holy poo poo, that was good TV. Now onwards to the prequel!

Thwomp posted:

One of us, one of us...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ubiquitous_ posted:

VVVV She didn't do it for a whole season, let alone the entire concept of a show.

I think what Maslany did on Orphan Black was pretty impressive, but this is a pretty disingenuous argument considering that she a) didn't do it for a full season either (the clones don't show up immediately save for the opening scene) and that b) the "whole season" was only 10 episodes. Torv had a prolonged arc where she was playing Fauxlivia pretending to be Olivia and it was pretty drat incredible how much subtlety she managed to put into both characters.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Cactus posted:

Just stumbled on Charlie Brooker's new show and am about to give it a watch. Anyone else seen it?

It blows my mind that it's almost 20goddamn14 and there are still country-specific restrictions on videos on the internet. I know it's an issue on some sites for people outside the US as well and I have no idea how it makes any sense whatsoever to copyright something to only be viewable from one country. Isn't the point of putting something on the internet to get it out to as many people as possible?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I was going to recommend Suits as well. It's pretty much an hour of the pretty cast making witty banter at each other, but the writing is usually good and most of the dialogue is legitimately funny/clever.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

precision posted:

I'm finally watching Agents of SHIELD Marvel's Agents SHIELD and it's... it's good! And also somehow carried by a lovable schmuck in a suit. What a weird show. But pretty cool!

Hope you're ready for a wild ride because the show gets pretty crazy!

Just kidding, it continues to be wholly and utterly unremarkable 10 episodes in. I'm still kind of enjoying it (at least enough to watch every week) but it kind of swings between mildly entertaining and dreadfully boring. The characters have had tiny bits of characterization dropped here and there, but none of it has managed to make any of them legitimately interesting, and when it's mission time they immediately revert back to their cliche cookie-cutter personas. Ward, May, and Coulson are Super Serious Spies. Fitz/Simmons mumble hilariously fake-sounding techno-babble then explain it in plain English when another character gives them a funny look and says some variation of "What?"/"English please!"/"Not all of us are geniuses." and Skye will express some doubt in something that's happening because apparently she's the only one that's not an emotionless robot.

Like I said I don't hate the show or anything and continue to watch it every week, but watching this week's episode before watching the Arrow mid-season finale really hit home how boring, poorly-executed, cliche, and cheap AoS feels compared to it. It's not a completely fair comparison, but it's one that anyone who watches both can't help but make.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

IRQ posted:

The boring parts of Fringe. As in, there's really not much as far as arcs go and it's just kind of not bad but not very good "of the week" stuff. There's some character background mysteries but they aren't really compelling at all.

Not everyone loved Fringe's MotW episodes as much as I did, but at least they still had decent writing and acting, and the occasionally cool monster/fringe thing. AoS is like those episodes minus the acting, minus the writing (good lord does the writing on SHIELD get horrendously cliche/cheesey/lazy sometimes), and minus any cool scenarios.

SHIELD is the only show that I watch that has made me consciously aware of how small its budget is. Every set/"location" just feels cheap, poorly lit, and dirty, although it doesn't help that 'old, dirty factory/warehouse' has been the setting for like 5 episodes. Also they desperately need to hire Nikita or Arrow's stunt/action coordinator, because they've somehow managed to make fights between elite super spies and people with super strength look incredibly boring.

Jesus christ that Dads scene :psyduck:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah Ollie's family dynamic is a bit rough in season one (I remember Thea in particular bugging me in several episodes because they didn't seem to know what to do with her) but unless you're just outright hating the show then just stick with it. I can't really say at what point things get better because it's mostly story spoilers, but eventually things really pick up and the show just takes off from there. With the notable exception of the Huntress arc, which I think everybody agrees was a really weak couple of episodes. Like I said though if you're at least somewhat enjoying the show then power through to the season finale, and know that season 2 has been firing on all cylinders so far and has had like 3-4 of the best episodes the show's ever done.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It is pretty hilarious though how they can show human beings whose bodies have been horribly dismembered, as long as you can't see any of the bodies' genitals. Because then it'd be inappropriate for children/TV and would cause the end of our society. For me there were only a few scenes that really stood out as gross. Most were just so bizarre and unreal (in a good way) that I was instantly disconnected and didn't actually think about the fact that I just saw a person who had the top half of their head popped back like a Pez dispenser until later. I think the garden was the one that got to me the most, specifically because it wasn't just some gore or blood but pure nightmare fuel.

Hannibal is a really good show.

VDay fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 16, 2013

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

-Blackadder- posted:

How is Almost Human?

I'm a fan of both of the leads, especially Michael Ealy. Really loved Sleeper Cell.

Then check it out. Not sure why the guy above thinks it's so bad you shouldn't even bother, but it's been pretty good so far in my opinion. The chemistry between Urban and Ealy is the strongest part of the show and there have been a couple of pretty neat cases so far. Minka Kelly's the weakest part of the show, but usually she's limited to just coming up to someone and delivering some info before the scene moves on so it's not that bad. It's pretty much a 90s sci-fi buddy cop show with two likeable leads at heart, so if that sounds like something you might be into then you'll probably like it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

STAC Goat posted:

I just catch up on Doctor Who in bursts and don't take it too seriously. I just caught up on the entire run of the latest companion for the Anniversary special. Its just not a show I can imagine really getting all that fired up about one way or another, especially since I thought they bumbled the one story that I really got invested in (Amy's kid). It's just a sometimes fun, sometimes goofy, sometimes dark, sometimes touching show to watch from time to time.

Of course the odd/short scheduling helps me lose interest or focus on it too. I completely zoned out after the Ponds died and didn't even really think of the show again until the Anniversary hype.

I'm the exact same way. I forget about Who for like a year and a half then go back and catch up over a weekend and then kind of forget about it again until something big comes up. It has plenty of problems and is unbearably goofy/dumb/nonsensical at times, but it can also just be a really fun way to waste an hour or two.

And I didn't mind River that much, but it's not really that hard to see why a smug character who constantly taunts the viewers with the fact that she knows exactly what's going to happen isn't everyone's favorite.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

muscles like this? posted:

gently caress
YES

:allears:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Cart posted:

Topic change: Since we're on crime, does Justified have the best dialogue on TV?

Spartacus does did :smith:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The nice thing about "slogging" through the early PoI episodes is that they still end up paying off in terms of character development. You get a lot of little moments between Reese and Finch that lay the ground work for their relationship throughout the show. I mean, the premise of the show is that an emotionally broken ex-soldier partners up with a weird genius recluse. That shouldn't really work all that well and the show does a really nice job of making their partnership feel earned instead of just instantly making them best friends who trust each other with their lives from the get-go just because it's a TV show. That kind of earning/building of trust happens with pretty much every character as well and it's one of my favorite things about PoI.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Irish Joe posted:

The problem with PoI's flashbacks (at least in the first season)

I don't quite agree that they're all as redundant as you say, but they definitely get more meaningful in the second and third seasons. It's kind of hard to talk about without giving specific examples and spoiling stuff, but in general they start exploring deeper things than just basic character background info and one-tone characters notes.

I think Finch's flashbacks especially get a lot deeper without being super heavy-handed about his past or his motivations. You get to see glimpses of the process behind him making the machine, and piece by piece get a clearer picture of why he became what he is and why he goes about things the way he does.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

soapgish posted:

The sperg mountain doesn't need advertising.

Haha yeah, loving spergs talking about what TV they like :smug:

Not like us cool guys who only poo poo on everything and talk about which TV shows are the worst. Hint: it's all of them. :smugbert:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Zaggitz posted:

I just finished Spartacus and I need a loving drink and to open a window cause it's so loving dusty in here. :smith:

:smith::respek::smith:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rarity posted:

Yes, a show about murderers and stalkers is aimed at little girls.

:psyduck:

Oh so it's like Twilight.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't get why people think SHIELD would be a way better show if it was suddenly allowed to have actual superhero stuff in it. I mean, that'd certainly be neat, but there's nothing stopping them from coming up with actual interesting stories/characters/villains. If anything, having the freedom to make up their own poo poo should theoretically be better for the show than if they were forced to have Marvel C-List Hero #235235 on every week.

The show is thoroughly unexciting because the dialogue is usually somewhere between bland and outright awful, the characters are stereotypes who haven't gotten any meaningful development (yet?), the stories each week aren't particularly interesting, and the set design and action sequences are out of a bad 90's straight-to-VHS movie. All of those things can (and hopefully will) be improved without the need to have an Iron Man cameo or a mini-arc about some other Marvel super hero.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If nothing else, Elementary deserves props for taking 'Sherlock Holmes in New York but Watson's a chick' and managing to not only be a perfectly watchable procedural but also feature a platonic relationship between a man and a woman where both characters actually grow and become better as a result of working/living together. With absolutely zero sexual innuendo, will they/won't they bullshit, or secret long glances from one to the other. I really like Sherlock as well and it's a fun 4.5 hour event every few years, but the actual relationship between Watson and Holmes is infinitely more interesting on Elementary compared to Sherlock, where Martin Freeman's Watson is just mostly there to tell Sherlock how incredible he is and what an amazing human being he is because Steven Moffat loves patting himself on the back.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Some people find things funny that other people don't find very funny hth

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Sunny is more mean, but in a 'These people are god drat psychopaths' way rather than just a 'These people are kind of assholes' way. For the record I loving love Sunny but couldn't get past season 1 of The League either. As for when to stop watching, definitely at least make sure to watch a few episodes after Danny DeVito's character shows up since he becomes one of the main cast members and changes the group dynamic a bit.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Counter-point: Black Sails doesn't loving suck.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I finally got around to watching the first two episodes of True Detective tonight, and it made me wish that I had a time machine so that I could go back like 6 years and tell past-me that some day I'd be watching Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson sit at a table and monologue, and that I'd be absolutely captivated. At this point I don't care if the next four episodes are just filler and nothing more than the two of them recapping those times that they went to get KFC.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rarity posted:

Sleepy Hollow's season finale was one fantastic bit of television that rivalled Arrow for :supaburn: levels and did one of the neatest jobs in tying together the entire season that I've seen in a long time. The show has definitely jumped up to a new level with that.

Also featured my new favorite definition of hipsters: "purveyors of artisanal marmalade".

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Always Sunny has been pretty drat funny for its entire run. It helps that they can just do whatever ridiculous story they want since the core of the show is just "a bunch of idiots that own a bar but don't have to actually work".

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I remember the first couple of seasons at least having some nice moments, but I stopped watching the show at some point as well. It kind of just spun its wheels without going anywhere after a while and turned into Hank and Runkle's Whacky Adventures! which basically consisted of the kind of fantasy wish-fulfillment poo poo you'd see on Entourage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Bown posted:

How the f do you get over a page of discussion from absolutely the worst promo ever made

Yeah wtf are people doing talking about a show instead of just declaring that it's poo poo and objectively bad and just moving on? I mean a bad/cheesy 30 second teaser is obviously an instant condemnation of an entire season, so no point getting excited about it.

• Locked thread