Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Wandle Cax posted:

Gosh, you make one little comment which may be partly in jest and now you're a smug dick. Tough crowd.

Did you even read the interview? It's not like he was completely kidding or talking about something else and then that just slipped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Josh Lyman posted:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/fox-new-girl-sued-plagiarism-1076439.aspx

I didn't know that New Girl was getting sued by a couple writers who claim their pilot script was ripped off.

Also, the show as going to be called "Chicks and Dicks" :rolleyes:

I saw a headline for this story somewhere a couple of weeks ago but forgot to click on it and dismissed it as just some overblown thing or dumb coincidence, but wow is that blatant. Assuming, of course, that the original creators actually have any proof that that's the show they were pitching.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Not really. I mean it was a "debate" between two people who clearly aren't going to actually influence each other's opinions. If you really want to see Bill Nye struggle to be as polite as possible while explaining basic, grade-school science to a grown man who simply refuses to accept any of it then I guess it's worth a watch. Spoiler alert: the guy who thinks the Earth is a couple thousand years old uses hilariously bad logic to justify it while discrediting hundreds of years of scientific discovery and progress by calling it "Historical Science" and acting like that somehow means that it's not real. You're better off just going on reddit at this point since the entire debate is probably submitted/upvoted as screenshots/memes.

I mean, this was the level of "debate" (I'm paraphrasing from memory):

Nye: "It says in Genesis that every animal was a vegetarian before the flood, so then why do lions have teeth that are designed strictly for eating meat?"
Ham: "Just because an animal has sharp teeth doesn't mean it eats meat. It just has sharp teeth."

:eng101:

VDay fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 5, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Sober posted:

Yeah I was expecting spoilers but wow, spoilers.

The leading theory is that that part will either be some kinda dream or will just be in the first episode and set up the rest of the season. Either way I kind of doubt that something like that (which will obviously only occur towards the end or at the very least middle of the season) would just be spoiled in every trailer they've shown so far if it wasn't also going to be shown very early on.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The next TV show that AMC will eventually try to ruin once it gets popular: an adaptation of the Preacher comic book series. Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg to EP.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If you haven't checked it out yet, Suits does "Impossibly pretty people throw impossibly witty zingers at each other" better than most of the other USA shows. It helps that the dialogue is legitimately funny rather than just being lazy pop culture reference spam, and the characters are really fun and surprisingly fleshed out by the third season.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Damnit, this just reminded me that Spartacus and Fringe ended :smith:

Although the dead dad line was pretty incredible from whatever show that was.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
No but seriously you guys, loving Comcast is about to try and buy TWC... That's loving insane. My favorite part:

quote:

Regulators used to enforce a rule that prohibited a single cable company from controlling more than 30% of the market. But Comcast led a challenge to that rule in the mid-2000s, and in 2009 a federal appeals court threw out the 30% cap.
:bravo:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I thought Borgias was pretty good, but I can see why people would think it's boring. Still, I think Cesare Borgia was a better character than anyone in Tudors and I don't think it's nearly as unwatchably boring/bad as people are making it seem.

VDay fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 14, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

GreenNight posted:

That's because too many people get off on "calling it" when poo poo happens.

I think people just latched on to the ritualistic mystery element a little too hard and now expect some kind of massive "Gotcha!" ending where we find out that Cthulhu or one of the main characters has been behind it all along. Which is a shame, because I don't think the show has telegraphed that at all and is much more interested in showing the journey of the two detectives than tricking the audience with some goofy plot twists.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think it's just on NBC because they either bought the show first or paid the most. Fuller's said in interviews that he's not really worried about ratings and made it sound like if NBC drops it then there's basically a line of other channels waiting to scoop it up.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mu Zeta posted:

Fringe isn't very good if you binge watch it. A lot of the episodes can feel same-y. I think the show really takes off in the second and third seasons though and worth watching if you like fun and wacky scifi. First season is boring.

The end of season 2 and beginning of 3 are probably my favorite dozen episodes of Fringe. Between Peter, White Tulip, and the Bolivia arc, it's some fantastic television. Unless you're actively not enjoying it, I'd say just watch the beginning/middle of season 2 at your leisure, and then sit down and marathon the end.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I refuse to watch Tango & Cash again in the tiny, miniscule chance that maybe it'll turn out that that movie isn't actually the greatest piece of cinema ever made by man like 10-year-old-me thought.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Season 2 of Vikings start this Thursday and Suits is back next week. Nice to have an overload of TV again after the Olympics drought. Just need to sleep-walk through March and wake up when GoT is suddenly back.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Alternately you could always try and steer the conversation in the actual thread instead of tattling on them in the chat thread for daring to discuss symbolism and themes in a TV show.

But then how am I supposed to get a sense of superiority over how good I am at watching TV?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

When you complain about a thread that's suppose to be really bad it just seems kinda lazy to exaggerate some unrelated thing instead of going for a bit of... precision.

To be fair someone did say that they weren't sold on the guy and were keeping their options open with regards to that one guy potentially not being the scarred man. That's where the joke line came from.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If that's part of the "twenty-something experience" then I've been doing my twenties wrong, apparently.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Still kind of amazed that they're just allowed to do that, apparently. Thank god that law that was designed to specifically prevent this type of thing from happening got repealed a few years back. Man, what a coincidence!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

IRQ posted:

Oh ok, I'm sorry, I will now only watch sitcoms that deal with the everyday problems of ultra-rich WASPs such as

USA's entire lineup?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, NDT seems to be very happy with just being "guy who talks about science", without getting into any theology debates. And if that's what he wants to do, then great, but the smug atheist types really like to paint him as one of them.

Yeah I've seen interviews with him where he talks about how people used to constantly change his wikipedia page to label him an atheist, to the point where he had to come out and say that he doesn't consider himself one.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

smg77 posted:

I wish more people read this and took it to heart. The constant :spergin: about spoilers gets really old.

As does the constant :spergin: about people who are bothered by spoilers. Some people enjoy going into things completely blind and experiencing them without knowing what's going to happen. Get over it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Slamhound posted:

What if you spoiled a show and shot the guy's mother?

Asking for a friend.

Which show?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Not too surprising to see the ratings continue to sink considering that the show went off the air for like a month just to line up with TWS, only to not really have any kind of marketing push for it once TWS actually came out. The last couple of episodes have been really good, but the show still has to prove that it can carry the TWS momentum by itself before I actually recommend it to people. I mean, even the episodes right before these last two were preeeeetty dumb I thought, so it's not like there's been a steady improvement since Day 1 or anything like that. And it still doesn't excuse the fact that this show has been on the air for like 7 months and is just now getting interesting.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Irish Joe posted:

:shrug: I guess I'm just from that weird generation of Americans where you didn't advertise your mental problems

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576094&userid=121013

:confused:

e: Aw, beaten to the obvious dumb joke.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

IRQ posted:

Hold on just let me boot up my WINDOWS 8 SURFACE PRO TABLET! /cbs

More like 'Hold on let me walk to the other side of the room where the other half of my Surface Pro™ is sitting for some reason.'

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Deadpool posted:

I actually really didn't like that at all. Felt cheap. But then again everyone else around here is way more crazy about that show than me. I really don't like anyone in that show not played by Tatiana Maslany.

Yeah I'm with you. I didn't really enjoy any of the other characters, and John Noble and Anna Torv's performances on Fringe sort of ruined the surprise/initial impression of Maslany's performances. I realize that that's probably unfair and slightly irrational because she's still doing an incredible job, but it led to me not really being grabbed by the show. Still enjoyed the first season, but not really in a hurry to get started on 2.

Joramun posted:

I take it you mean "Peter, is your social worker in that horse?"

Yeah that's the one. If that happened on a more watched/popular show it would probably instantly become an internet meme.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I agree about Gregg and the quality of the writing/acting, but it's crazy to say that the plotting is the same as it's always been. We've gone from 'Team of bland generic TV cliches goes to investigate generic Mystery Thing™ with no consequences' to the entire premise of the show being turned upside down. Bill Paxton's pretty great, but he's hardly some ultra charismatic lead that is single-handedly "fooling" people (what does this even mean?) into liking the show. If anything I think Paxton is at his best on that show when he tones it down a bit and isn't just chewing scenery. It is a shame though that he and Ward are basically the only two interesting characters in an ensemble cast.

And to be fair, even people who have loved the last couple of episodes mostly say that they still wouldn't recommend the show to everyone. It's just that it's finally showing signs of life and going in an interesting direction, as opposed to just being a boring, poorly written/acted Fringe. It's never going to be some kind of high water mark for television, but if it can at least be an hour of dumb fun every week then that's good enough for most people I think.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Shageletic posted:

So if people are really interested in watching something horrible, you might want to give this a whirl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flyBZjfAP5A

You report back, y'hear?

Jesus loving christ.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Almost Human was pretty fun, but it was almost entirely held together by Urban and Ealy. They kind of started to lay the groundwork for something interesting happening in the background, but at its core it was just a buddy cop show that unfortunately didn't really stand out.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PriorMarcus posted:

The fact that anyone is disappointed it got cancelled or that people say it's the best show in years is baffling to me.

TVIV poster doesn't understand that different people like different things, full story at 11.

\/\/ Yeah, fair enough.

VDay fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 30, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The animated ones are my favorite for how utterly desperate they seem. I mean it's literally just those lovely, expanding flash ads but on your TV where you can't avoid/block/close them.

If you love the macabre, brutal violence of Hannibal, you'll love the Today Show's new series about teens taking pictures of themselves! What a perfect match!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Simstim posted:

Calculate the amount of time you have spent watching TV. You type in the name of tv shows and number of seasons you've watched, and it tallies up the total time.

http://tiii.me/

Exactly how much of my life I've wasted just watching TV is up there with 'total amount of money I've spent on booze' for things I never actually want to know about myself. ~*~Blissful ignorance~*~

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah the first few seasons have some genuinely nice moments, and Hank is actually an interesting character (sometimes). It's as the show goes on that they just kind of run out of ideas and start recycling entire plot arcs and the focus of most episodes becomes "What whacky adventures/awkward sex scene can we setup for Hank today?", until it eventually becomes an even dumber Entourage.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's just a shame that they wasted 6 months just putting around and not doing anything interesting before starting the real show. On the other hand that makes the show fairly easy to get into and catch up on. You can safely (as in literally nothing relevant, interesting, or something that gives a character some development happens) skip like a dozen episodes out of the 21 that have aired so far, and probably even 3-4 more if you just want to catch up to where the show is now.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Decius posted:

Sure, the show should and could have been a lot better for the first 16 episodes. However, just skipping over all of it would take away any impact the whole HYDRA reveal and fallout would have. You can't tear down anything that you didn't build up before, and without watching at least a couple of the first 16 episodes the last few episodes would seem far less interesting (even if the buildup wasn't the best or most interesting thing in the world).
I think you could argue that the buildup wasn't just bad, but barely even happened. I think the show's biggest weakness by far was that it took a bunch of cookie-cutter cliche characters and then put them in incredibly unoriginal/uninspiring situations. Yeah obviously there are some moments here and there, and you'll miss out on some subtlity by skipping entire episodes, but there also wasn't 6 months of character/world development there to begin with. There isn't some super interesting and complex team dynamic that you have to understand in order to appreciate the big twist. If you just go to episode 16, then May is still the quiet, brooding badass, Fitz/Simmons are still your generic nerd tech duo, Skye is still the super hacker with ~a mysterious past~, Ward is still the generic super agent man with ~a mysterious past~ (they really like using this one), and Coulson is still the team Dad who is alive because of some ~mysterious past operation ~. That's the exact same dynamic that you get from like episode 4 onwards, and the relationships that have developed since then can be sussed out almost immediately.

quote:

At least the episodes with Garret in them ("T.A.H.I.T.I.", "End of the Beginning"), the train episode ("T.R.A.C.K.S."), "0-8-4", "Girl in the Flower Dress" and then of course everything starting with episode 16.
Right, which leaves the dozen or so episodes that you can just skip or that aren't memorable. Like the entire arc with that dude who gets broken out of jail and is then the world's shittiest James Bond villain was pointless, and resulted in some hilariously bad episodes/scenes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Josh Lyman posted:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/nbc-picks-up-comedy-marry-me-to-series/

NBC ordered a drama starring Katherine Heigl who plays a CIA threat analyst for the president played by Alfre Woodard. I give it 6 episodes before cancellation.

quote:

Aside from the political minefields she has to walk, Charlie has a close personal relationship with the president (Alfre Woodard) because she once was engaged to her son before a terrorist attack took his life. Charlie survived that attack and now is determined to bring the perpetrators to justice.

:barf:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Irish Joe posted:

Tis a shame, because Agents of SHIELD had a much better first season than Person of Interest. PoI didn't start getting good until the middle of the second season and even then it remained a wildly inconsistent show. SHIELD is not good even with the illusory changes* goons claim its made, but at least its (barely) watchable. Don't get me wrong, I like what PoI is now, but even I couldn't suffer through most of the first season. There's nothing good there, and a whole lot of bad.

*The lie is that SHIELD was a good show telling bad stories in the beginning and all the boring poo poo viewers were forced to sit through was setup for some awesome mid-season revelation after which point the series would be as awesome as Firefly, Buffy or Dollhouse. The mid-season revelation came, but it didn't fix what made SHIELD bad in the first place. The actors were still laughably bad; the stories still dull; the writing still cliche and stupid; and the production values still below that of a Syfy original movie. The truth is that SHIELD was a bad show telling bad stories and is now a bad show telling slightly less bad stories.

Pretty sure you've spent more words trying to convince people that AoS is bad than anyone has trying to defend it. Pretty much everyone is somewhere between 'Eh it's still kind of bad' and 'Hey it's actually pretty entertaining now!'

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

precision posted:

It's pretty typically hyperbolic that people are calling it outright "bad". I haven't watched every episode, granted, but I've watched a bunch of the "bad" ones and they were, at worst, "serviceable". Like, the second half of The Ev3nt was "bad". SHIELD, at worst, is just kind of "there".
I would argue that there were some episodes where the plot, dialogue, acting, and directing/editing were actually bad, but yeah for the most part the first half of the season was just kind of boring and uninteresting.

zoux posted:

So when it comes out on Netflix next year, should I just start at the post Cap 2 episodes or watch the whole thing or what?
You would honestly probably be fine if you just watched the pilot and then episode 16, but I'd say that watching the pilot, episode 6, and then 10 through to the end would give you a pretty complete picture. The stuff that's set up in the first half of the season either really isn't that important or can be figured out/inferred in like 5 minutes. Episodes 2-9 though were a wasteland of some generic, bland TV, and watching them just so you get some throwaway reference a character makes later isn't really worth it imo.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Seams posted:

It's weird to me that the topic of who hosts late night talk shows is such an important thing in the US. Not so much the diversity problem, that's an issue in TV as a whole and deserves to be talked about, but just the general idea that whoever takes over from Leno or Letterman is a Very Important Topic. As far as I can tell this is all a result of the USA not having a monarchy.

Well I think what makes it a big deal is the fact that these aren't just new shows that are getting a new host after a season or two. We're talking about shows and hosts that have been around for years and years. Letterman's been host for 20 years, and Colbert and Ferguson for 9. That's a pretty long time for someone to be on TV doing the same thing, and naturally a lot of people will care when something changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah the trailer for Constantine pleasantly surprised me and I'll definitely be checking it out. Kind of funny that Sleepy Hollow came out last year and is a pretty similar premise, although I assume Constantine's tone is going to be much more serious.

• Locked thread