Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Red and Speak Now are both 50% decent and 50% boring-as-hell ballads.

And this is to do with TV because.....I think "22" was in an episode of New Girl once, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Masters of Sex is awesome so far although it's definitely more of a Mad Men-esque show than something action-packed, and it still doesn't quite feel like it's living up to its full potential. Still the best new drama of the season by a long way.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would watch Sons of Anarchy if it had a character called Superfly Johnson.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't think of any seasons of cable shows where every episode has a different director. Also, wasn't this exact question already asked in this thread? I definitely read this discussion somewhere last night.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's likely they'll get to at least '66, when their initial study was published.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

She was on Mom this week and when I first saw her I thought she looked like a pug dog in a dress

:psyduck:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

Finally finished the first three seasons of Justified. Honestly, season 3 might be the weakest so far. Robert Quarles just doesn't stack up to Boyd or The Bennetts. It also felt like the plot was totally lost at certain points. Can't wait for season 4 to come out on Blu-Ray.

From what I've read the cast and crew all feel 3 was a weak season too. 4 is up there with 2 as one of the best, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really liked season 3 of Justified, guys! I'd just call it weak compared to 2 and 4. It does feel like they panicked with not knowing how to follow up Mags Bennett so they crammed as many villains in as possible.

Actually I just remembered how it ended and I really liked that so maybe I'm just letting some Walton Goggins quotes influence my opinion too much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read Ravenswood was PLL without the stupid, and seeing how the stupid is the only thing that makes the original show watching even a little...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mostly agree that this season of The League has been a noticeable step down (although still far from 'weak'), but that episode where Andre tried to do standup was absolutely hysterical. I think by the end I even preferred it to the Raffi episode. I do have to agree with the thoughts on the crassness, though. They've stepped it up with plotlines like Ruxin pissing on his neighbour's lawn and Andre vs birdshit, and it's unpleasant in a whole different way that isn't fun to watch at all.

Never been an Almost Sunny fan - hated season 1 and then tried to start season 2 but couldn't get into it despite the noticeable improvement - but if people want to recommend individual episodes I will give them a shot very soon. I'm willing to give it more chances.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What major television award could Walking Dead conceivably win? Best Dumb Bunch of Boring Idiots?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

As usual, completely wrong.

I actually have to agree with him this time. Most of what is considered intelligent work in mainstream comics is still light years behind things with similar acclaim in film and TV. For examples, go look at the emotional/heartwarming panels thread in BSS.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Actually it's already there!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sophia: Masters of Sex. That's all. It's by far the best new drama of the season, as fun as Sleepy Hollow is (you should watch that too tho)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately not. :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

It works ok on tablets. And it works really well in the mobile phone version.

That's how I read the web nowadays so I think it's a good change.

As an iPhone user who used the previous desktop version on my phone and loved it, I gotta disagree. There's not even a button to change to the desktop version from the mobile site, which is horrendous because mobile versions of websites are 1) never good and 2) always bad

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Everything is pretty good right now though. Kristina is over cancer and has all these supporters even though she lost the election. It will probably help in her next venture. Max finally has a real friend and future career prospects. Crosby and Adam have a successful and cool business. I guess Joel and Julia's family are going through some poo poo and Coach too.

Just finished season 1 of Parenthood last night so it's fantastic to see this post just plonked in the middle of CC unspoiled, btw.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Adult Swim released the pilot for Rick and Morty, that show Dan Harmon co-created and ran the writer's room for during his year off from Community. It's funny as hell and more than a little dark. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMq3ozw7VME

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What happened to Korra getting really really good this season like everyone was saying not long back?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: just ignore this whole dang post. alternatively, it's a happy thanksgiving wish to all american tvivers!

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 28, 2013

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaizoku posted:

I don't have a clue who that is or what show you're talking about.

what, are you stupid? OBVIOUSLY it's....no, I have no idea either

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

oshuaj posted:

Todd VanDerWerff of the A.V. Club wrote a piece on the upcoming final season of Treme which featured this bit on the relationship between Treme and its predecessor, The Wire:

Treme is really underappreciated in my opinion, and that's a really cool way of looking at it in relation to Simon's other, more widely acclaimed show.

I read this and it made me feel like it's finally time to watch it. So you would call that an accurate description?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stanfield posted:

- Stole his dead student's letterman jacket and let everyone blame the dead kid's best friend, and when said best friend came up to him in private pleading for him to believe that he didn't steal it, accused the friend of stealing it.

It really says something that they even managed to have the goddamn Corey Monteith tribute episode have Will being an rear end in a top hat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Whoa check out this huge holiday release for Netflix:
http://i.imgur.com/VRS6fIn.jpg

To be fair my friends and I have sat around smoking with the lights off and a YouTube video of a fire burning before so I get where the appeal comes from

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Chintzy poo poo" is a perfect description of the CW's programming though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AV Club name Enlightened the best show of 2013, win my heart completely

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was pretty great. Irish Joe should like the end bit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
noted banned rapist or not he is right about season 2. "The Ghost is Seen" and the finale especially are wonderfully optimistic.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
not watching any tv show for any reason doesn't make you cool in any way, let's move on

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's because I seriously thought The Plan was going to explain so much and tie up a bunch of loose ends, but it was ridiculously disappointing. A glorified clip show where the only major reveal is the addition of a little more context to Cavil's character.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even though I do think BSG became a pretty big mess somewhere in season 4 I was happy they went for total insanity instead of sticking with the military thing, which is overall my least favourite aspect of the show's framework.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But guys I don't understand! People are saying Arrow is bad, but haven't you heard how quickly the plot moves? How can a show be bad when lots of things happen?!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ok yeah bad was the wrong word. And I really have nothing against Arrow but I do get sick of hearing "it moves so quickly!" and "this generic C-lister DC character is in it!" (the latter mainly from Facebook people) as reasons why a show is good. Neither of those things make a show good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The main issue I have is that a fair few people who think Arrow is one of the best shows airing are the same people who say stuff like "oh man cinema discusso are so dumb and pretentious, THEY'RE JUST MOVIES GUYS". If you're that against thinking about the media you watch, and you just want to watch the most surface-level melodramatic superhero stuff, why are you a regular poster in a media forum?

And I'm not saying the two are separate - some of the best posters here are big Arrow fans. But it feels almost anti-intellectual at times. Which is fine! I watch plenty of silly/melodramatic shows and far too many bad sitcoms. But there's such a huge difference between those shows and the ones that actually remind me why I love television and in an age where we have not only a bunch of incredible dramas airing on cable but so many other things, underground comedies that are producing some of the funniest stuff every week and even a new rise in imaginative, thoughtful children's shows it doesn't feel right to me to post on a TV forum and constantly be praising a show with "the fights are well-shot and Deathstroke is in it".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I really liked that Big Fat Quiz, especially for a reminder to anyone who thinks that British television isn't as bad as American television.

Speaking as a Brit I seriously think this is an objectively wrong opinion to have

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

soapgish posted:

The sperg mountain doesn't need advertising.

it's just fun, holy hell

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally posting it two weeks and fifteen pages ago?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Count me as part of the 'saw Serenity before Firefly and thought it was loving awesome' crowd. It's much more consistent than the original show as a whole and captures the light-hearted Star Wars-esque tone perfectly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

Season 3 of Community is still the best season, though.

Why do you complain so much about slapfights and arguing RE: Community and then make posts like this out of nowhe-:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only real issue I have with Community season 4 is that it's nowhere near as funny - take any incidental dialogue scene from any of the episodes and it will be worse than 95% of the incidental dialogue scenes from seasons 1-3 (98% if you don't count the first few eps of season 1).

• Locked thread