Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
American Hustle doesn't even work as a drama; it feels completely empty. It was only when I realised it was meant to be a comedy that it started making sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Adams' accent was pretty freaking hilarious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finished watching Rectify yesterday. and yes, precision oversold it. But barely.

It was loving fantastic. At first I was slightly disappointed because I thought the whole show was gonna be super ethereal and weird - basically, like the scenes with the goatman in episode 5 the whole way through - but it won me over pretty easily by being incredibly real and incredibly beautiful - I especially liked Tawney, who could have been a very cliched character in less talented hands. The last episode brought out feelings of grief and rage in me that TV is only usually capable of bringing out once every couple years. Not sure if it would have made it into my top 10 of 2013 but if not it would have been literally just outside of it, and I'm so glad we're getting more this year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He was great in Mud too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently the only two movies I've ever seen Anne Hathaway in are Rachel Getting Married and The Dark Knight Rises, but I enjoyed her in both of those.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Orange is the New Black was one of the most complex shows to air last year and the sheer amount of well-written characters with great arcs was outstanding. But the main character was a previously-well-to-do white girl so of course people are gonna whine and moan.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Started watching The Genius and the twist at the end of the first episode completely melted my brain. This is great stuff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I don't mean to call you out specifically but this attitude really gets on my nerves. Like, when anyone says they don't enjoy Girls and people resort to "Oh well you don't like it because it's about a privileged white girl", as if it's impossible to both "get" something and dislike it.

A lot of people do seem to hate it simply for starring a privileged white girl, though. Or they interpret the events of the series as "privileged white girls can kick it with the best of them!" which isn't how I saw it at all.

I dunno, I'd be interested to find out why zoux feels the way he does about it, because that criticism makes 0 sense to me at the moment

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 8, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know who's meant to be the unlikable lead in Homeland, especially compared to fuckin' Jim Caviezel (actually I'm fine with his performance so far)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I love Caviezel's performance, it's like Tim Olyphant's performance in Deadwood - playing the role well looks like you're not doing much, acting-wise.

I like it at the moment but the quippier lines they give him clash with the nature of his performance quite badly. Also...

PriorMarcus posted:

"Here; watch two and a half Seasons of Robo-actor before a mildly talented girl from this cancelled series shows up!"

Well worth it.

okay I see it now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel a little bad cause after I posted that I went and read Marcus' most recent post in the Sherlock thread and it made me lose my poo poo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Apparently Archer's done being a spy comedy.

oh my god, this is going to be incredible. I was considering dropping Archer after I didn't really dig the fourth season so much but forget it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
YES I am super excited for Spoils of Babylon, it looks totally insane.

And Justified had a much stronger premiere than last season, and that ended up being my favourite season, so bring it the hell on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm still watching The Millers (well, putting it on in the background while I do other stuff) because the cast is fantastic (Eliza Coupe is in it sometimes!) and I really, really want Garcia to be going somewhere with it. But so far I would not recommend it to anyone here except Yoshifan for obvious reasons

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What?! Oh my god there are FAR too many shows right now. I'm gonna have to start dropping stuff I actually really like. (or just The Millers and its ilk)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ although they're portraying it as Winter's decision Todd VanDerWerff thinks declining ratings and a lack of awards buzz were major factors in the decision too

muscles like this? posted:

Also probably only more season of Justified after the current one.

That fits with a quote I read from Goggins before season 4 premiered, so I'm pretty drat happy with that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You still got two further than me. There's nothing wrong with Boardwalk exactly, just with everything else on it's one of the ones most likely to get left behind.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had the idea earlier tonight for a catch-all sitcom thread for anything that a handful of us might watch but that wouldn't get anywhere near enough posts to sustain its own thread. More of the B/C grade stuff like Cougar Town, The Millers, Ground Floor, etc. There's been a precedent for discussing multiple sitcoms in one thread set with the Ben and Kate/Mindy Project thread last season and Goldbergs/Trophy Wife this season, as well as the Adult Swim/Toonami thread that manages to sustain itself well, and it could maybe get more of the sitcom people into stuff that could fly under their radar and provide discussion for the shows people like but don't bother posting about because they don't think there's enough of a point.

Possible downsides are that it could get insanely convoluted depending on how many discussions ended up happening at once, and Davincie pointed out on IRC that technically that's what this thread is for. But I still think there's a chance it could work and I'd be happy to make the OP. What does anyone think? Yoshifan?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I would have straight-up kicked that piece of poo poo reporter out of the room. What a horrible, offensive question. Of course people are twisting it to be about the big mean Girls producers.

Kaizoku posted:

Real answer: Lena Dunham gets naked on the show because we talk about Lena Dunham getting naked on the show. It's not about a positive or negative body image; it's because she can't stand people NOT talking about her.

What the hell is this? Seriously, what in the gently caress is this statement?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly the Girls race criticism STILL reads to me like people think every show should fill some sort of quota. I know that might make me a bad person in some way but why should it HAVE to to that? I don't expect the viewpoint of anyone other than a 20-something white girl when I watch a relatively autobiographical show about 20-something white girls.

The bit of that quote BB focused on is really dumb though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying it isn't a bit weird but people just jump on it as another example of Lena Dunham being a horrible and/or stupid person. She doesn't want black people in her show! She gets naked all the time because she wants attention! There are perfectly legitimate versions of the criticism for both - god knows it's one of the most imperfect of all the shows I enjoy - but the vast majority of what I see basically boils down to "someone who has a point of view I find annoying is getting critical acclaim that I can't comprehend, so I need to make her out to be an awful bitch!"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

She isn't getting naked in a vacuum because she's a woman and in the entire one and a half seasons of the show I watched I never felt a scene was added to by her being naked in it.

This is just my personal thought but I always appreciate when a show does something like that without the 'TV language'. Thinking of the scenes where she's appeared naked and imagining them with bra/panties instead, I wouldn't have been like "man this seems soooooooo fake" but when they aren't used it does help it feel more like how someone would actually be in real life. Almost all of the girls I've lived with or dated have been comfortable being topless around their closest friends and, crazily enough, have sex naked.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ouch, sorry to hear that, dude. Glad you're on the mend, though. Just stay away from here we don't want anything to stress you out

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
February 28th, iirc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
precision I think you're a cool guy but your argument reads to me like "I don't like Girls, therefore I'm going to massively overstate the unprofessionalism of the producers compared to the reporter", because gently caress, I don't care how professional I'm meant to be, if someone asked me that question about a show I made I would do far more than make a couple of shots, and it absolutely would have ruined the rest of the event for me. Everything about the way the question was phrased is disgustingly offensive.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not that I've seen. Just realised there's still not a True Detective thread - I'll make it within the next few hours unless anyone else really wants to.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

It's also funny now. The first two seasons feel humorless in comparison.

ouch, my brain.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't recall ever laughing. I guess Irene Adler had some funny moments? But for the most part I was bored until season 3.

The brain hurt is focused more on finding season 3 funny than finding seasons 1 and 2 unfunny. The stag night scene especially deserves to go down as one of the worst attempts at humour in basically the entire history of television.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ChetReckless posted:

I've never been, but: this is what the Sherlock thread is like, isn't it?

Yeah except for the bits with the weird losers who "still like it" and "have no problem with the horribly unfunny bullshit"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In more "uhh, holy poo poo!?" news, Michael Cera and John Hawkes have signed up to star in an FX comedy pilot written and directed by Charlie Kaufman.

This is already my #1 most-anticipated show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: ^^^^ hi! i was kidding. sorry if it didn't come across so well. e2: oh wait you realised that. hi anyway!

Is that "i hate michael cera" bandwagon still going? Don't they know those movies they hated him for being a bit awkward in are over six years old now?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After watching the latest episode I'm utterly convinced that Rick and Morty will make my year-end top 10.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was a lame unfunny episode but honestly wasn't racist at all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's a stretch to say that the four Rick and Morty episodes that have aired so far are wayyyyyy funnier and generally of a higher quality than the first 3 episodes of Community season 5. Although that could all change after tonight.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Community season 5 has been good but it's hardly anywhere near the quality of 1-3 yet. It'll get there, most likely, but I'm hardly surprised it's taking a bit of time. In comparison, Rick and Morty's first four episodes have all (except maybe the pilot), been absolutely hilarious and insanely inventive. I honestly assumed this was just agreed-upon by everybody who has seen both seasons.

also, BB: you bitching about other posters was ok when it was about rapists, then only a little irritating when it was PriorMarcus, but now you're tipping over into full-on insufferable. You're a cool guy but cut it out already.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Exactly! We're all spergs in our own way and about our own poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually started the second season of Eagleheart tonight too. This show does being loving nuts way better than Childrens Hospital or NTSF. That episode with the bezoar, man. Can't wait to watch the whole season 3 arc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Adventure Time is totally fine for kids.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Enlisted is good unless any pro-military stuff makes you irrationally angry like me.

Eagleheart season 3 makes every absurd comedy you've ever seen (including Spoils of Babylon) look tame as hell. It's absolutely nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Frozen any less trite and/or lame than Tangled? Does it have any songs with liberal use of the word "mumsie" in it?

Man what the gently caress is the deal with the internet's obsession with Tangled

• Locked thread