Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I just moved and finally have room for a couch. Went blue microfiber for the upholstery and got a sofa bed for guests. Am I doing it right, couch chat?

Edit : if it makes a difference, the mattress in said sofa bed is memory foam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What the hell is wrong with lumberjacks??

Dexter is what's wrong with lumberjacks.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

bobkatt013 posted:

Doom always used magic on occasion. However, in this storyline he tried to use magic to beat Richards :doom: and got the power by killing the only person he loved, and turned her skin into a suit

.... I'm fascinated by the wrong form of media, Jesus. Comics go whole hog.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Teddybear posted:

I keep hearing Orphan Black is pretty good. Anyone know if it's streaming on, like, Netflix or something?

It's not on Netflix.

Which drives me crazy because COPPER is on netflix and that's a BBCA production. Where the hell is my Orphan Black?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Rarity posted:

If anyone stopped watching Misfits after they got rid of the original cast then stop being an idiot and go check out the final 2 seasons. It takes a couple of episodes for the new cast to click but there's so many great episodes there that totally stand up to the original crew.

I almost agree with this. Every episode of season five has been a delight. Hilarious, charming, really hosed up in that way Misfits is.

However, I can really only think of two episodes in season four that aren't mind numbingly boring. I couldn't even be arsed to care when they killed off Curtis.

Is it worth the slog for the gems we get this season? Probably, I mean it's only like 8 episodes, and they do lay ground work that's pretty important character wise..I guess. But this season is worlds better. Worlds and worlds and worlds better. The characters feel like they all have something to do (or even agency) at this point, and it's nice.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

precision posted:

Oh come on, Misfits series 4 had alternate Nazi reality, zombie cheerleaders, Greg singing karaoke, and a bunch of other poo poo I remember enjoying at the time.

4 is the weakest season for sure, but it's not too weak to skip. And I would definitely rank 5 as the best (unless the last episode somehow completely fucks it up).

Greg singing karaoke was in one of the two memorable episodes. Rudy falling for the nun. The other being the rabbit at the party. Everything else is either, as has been pointed out, season 3, or boring.

I will grant that the current probation worker, Greg, is...truly something else.

Edit: Regarding a character's demise I felt things got better once Curtis was axed. The last few episodes of the season were everyone and everything coming together nicely.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 5, 2013

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

regulargonzalez posted:

Can anyone recommend a show similar to Chuck (or the first 3 seasons of Chuck, I should say). Bonus if it's on Netflix. Looking mostly for that style of comedy with some eye candy and a rather light tone, the action is fine but not necessary but I'm looking for comedy + (other genre), not just a straight sitcom. And ideally hour long episodes, so while otherwise Parks and Rec would kinda fit, it's not quite right.
I guess Doctor Who would be similar in some ways, as odd as that sounds. So something like a cross between Chuck and Doctor Who. Firefly is kinda similar too, but I've seen it. Ditto Veronica Mars. But any recommendations along those general lines would be great.
I've been recommended Buffy in the past but after watching the first two or three episodes it really didn't do it for me. I can give it another try if someone recommends it very strongly.

Seconding Warehouse 13 and Psych. Also really want to emphasize that Buffy, while fantastic, is not even remotely Funny + imo. It has some great humor, but that is not a focus at all. If you're feeling quality drama, ask around for the must see episodes of season 1 and then go into season 2.

You might also want to consider Monk. I'm pretty sure that's on Netflix, or at least was. Supernatural might work for you, too, in the lighter episodes, if you're itching for a more fantastical show.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 5, 2013

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Oh hey, and I was just talking about another one, and it's on Hulu. Misfits would be an excellent choice. Just bear in mind that holy hell some of the accents are thick, and yes I watched the first season with subtitles on. Kelly is incomprehensible at times (which in my mind adds to the funny). She's like Lady Boomhaur.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

EL BROMANCE posted:

The suicide attempt was bad, but the face licking cold open scene was just woooooorse.

I can't really hear about disturbing eating and people without thinking of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaRY_xtUzCo

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's been said before but Supernatural is probably one of the goriest shows on TV, network television or no. :barf:

My favorites are the table saw through the chest and the food processor to the hand. I seem to recall the car accident in a non moving car as being pretty spectacularly gory, too.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

precision posted:

Wait, why do we hate Felicia Day exactly? The first four or five seasons of The Guild were really good at poking fun at "gamer life" and had a decent cast with above-par writing.

I mean, I know she did that "so bad it's incredibly bad" Dragon Age webseries (it's like the Sharknado of fantasy, watch it) but she seems like a nice person. Then again, so does Chris Hardwick, but he mostly just hosts things and does a podcast so comparing Day - who pretty much made The Guild from the ground up herself - to him seems like... not a thing you should do.

I've found that most people who hate Felicia Day (and Chris Hardwick for that matter) fall into two categories- The "Nerd Blackface" people who hate her for the same reason they hate the Big Bang Theory, ie she's not a real nerd and how dare she make money off of the plebes who think she is. The other being the "She's insufferable" crowd, which as far as I can tell means because she references things on the internet and is "twee" she's insufferable.

Sure there are the occasional folks out there who just admit she's not their cuppa, for whatever reason, but the seething hatred comes from those two camps.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

JohnSherman posted:

Leverage was available the next day on Netflix for the first 2 seasons.

I always wondered why that stopped. It was awesome.

Edit: And I've just learned that the whole series is now up on Netflix. Sweeeet.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

MrAristocrates posted:

I've never really understood Sherlock either. Watson never gets to do anything, which I suppose is accurate to the books but does nothing to make the character interesting.

This is particularly funny to me considering the way the first episode ended.

You know, with John saving Sherlock in a pretty significant and active way.

Or in the second episode of the second season where you learn that he is a hell of a shot even freaking the gently caress out.

I mean, yes, for the most part be is a stand in for the audience, be to say he doesn't do anything seems a bit of a stretch.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Mu Zeta posted:

Yay Christmas.

I was looking on Netflix and saw that every episode of Top Gear from 2003-2013 is now available for streaming. Everyone should watch Season 10 Episode 4. It's 3 old English dudes driving across Botswana in broken down cars. I think it's the best thing they ever did.

Oliver :3:

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Biggest OHHOLYSHIT moment for me was "Not Penny's Boat" on Lost. Followed closely by that kid with the flight powers getting Um... Dealt with on misfits.

Actually, I just remembered a good one. "Bring it on little girl. Gimme your best shot." followed by a head exploding in season 5 of Angel.

Oh and "I'd like to test that theory." in season six of Buffy.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

precision posted:

In other news, I just totally cried during the latest episode of Sherlock. Well loving done, Cumberbatch.

So did everyone else and he was so confused :confused:

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

zoux posted:

Has it aired here yet? Was the resolution of last season's finale reasonable?

It has not aired in the US yet. And...well...that last one is debatable, as it always is with that kind of thing. I enjoyed it, but it was definitely divisive in the thread.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

zoux posted:

Kristin loving Kreuk?

CW shows tend to have huge voting campaigns. Hence the weird weight of them in the scifi fantasy category.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

It's official y'all. I'm am old British grandma. I was going through recommended stuff on Netflix, and there, taunting me for ages, has been Midsomer Murders (because I like sherlock).

I caved in to watching it the other day, not realizing there are 14 seasons.

I think it's awesome.

Now, get off my loving lawn, you young bastards. :argh:

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Pretty Little Liars suffers from loooong seasons. I feel like it would be better if the pacing were tighter or seasons shorter. As much as I didn't mind waiting an entire 22 episode span to find out who A is the first time, the fact that I had that to look forward to two more times just... Put me off it a little. Half the season is completely irrelevant by the time it ends anyway, so why not cut it out and just leave the good stuff?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

VDay posted:

Oh so it's like Twilight.

But for the fact that they don't romanticize it at all, and it's still a bad thing. Twilight puts Edward's behavior as sweet and romantic, PLL shows it for what it is, creepy. Especially with the revelation that (big spoiler from this season) Ezra is big A. That puts a really dark tinge on a pretty important relationship in the series.

Also, I remember reading somewhere (likely in this forum) the notion that PLL is the most feminist show on TV, and honestly, I'm having difficulty coming up with a counter. Each girl acts with agency, they have conversations that don't revolve around significant others (though they have those, too, because that is an important part of their lives), they're each completely capable of handling themselves in their own ways.

Of course they all have retarded moments, but that's more to do with the fact that it's a mystery show than that they're girls.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

ufarn posted:

The new 24 season will have Yvonne Strahovski in it, so there's that.

So did the last season of Dexter. Yurgh.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

precision posted:

Holy poo poo, the third episode of Sherlock. :psypop:

I know it's divisive and some people hated it, but for my money season 3 is better than the first two combined.

I agree completely, and I can't wait to see the reaction of the folks who are waiting for it to air in the states.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

hollylolly posted:

I suppose the only way to solve this is for the OPs of the two threads to actually slapfight.

:getin:

Edit: actually let me look up who the other OP is first :ohdear:

It's ON!! :whip:

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 14, 2014

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

zoux posted:

Also, I've heard people referring to series 3 of Sherlock in it's entirety, has the whole thing already aired over there?

It has. The gap between airing in the UK and in the States is the smallest it's ever been, but there still is one. The last episode aired Sunday.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Bown posted:

Yeah except for the bits with the weird losers who "still like it" and "have no problem with the horribly unfunny bullshit"

Posts like this that are sincere in that thread are what turned it into what it is. It's.... A downer.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Bown posted:

e: ^^^^ hi! i was kidding. sorry if it didn't come across so well. e2: oh wait you realised that. hi anyway!

Yeah, I gotcha. Hi!

I will be fair and say I haven't seen a lot of Michael Cera stuff, but he's been funny in what I have seen, so I'll take it as good news.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

hollylolly posted:

Reason Elementary is better:

God dammit. Clyde is a tough thing to top. He's just so.... Clyde.

My counter is this

Text is subtitles.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

hollylolly posted:

Our Sherlock has an axe.

I have several counters to this but I'm trying to limit myself to the first two seasons out of respect to the large portion of the board who hasn't seen it yet, so you get our Lestrade, who says that's not our division.

In searching for this I discovered that people have gone apeshit over this two second scene and have various versions with that phrase in different languages. Lestrade eating a baguette, donning a beret with "Pas notre division" for instance. They get weirder when you get into Klingon and Swedish.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Which is a bit odd given that what he said was "not our division".

Oh hey, I just noticed the quote on the gif is wrong. But yeah, it looks like the other languages got it right.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

scary ghost dog posted:

Twin Peaks, Adam West's Batman, Adventure Time, LOST and the original Star Trek.

I'd limit twin peaks to the first season, unless you wanted to use it as the "This is how to start a show and NOT END IT" example. Actually, arguably, LOST falls under that, too.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Dead Snoopy posted:

I have to throw some love towards The Shield's pilot. When you go back, some of the lighting and camera angles look almost from the Bruckheimer school of cinematography and then there's that ending. If it doesn't grab you I suspect you're dead inside. I seriously spent at least 3 years loaning out season 1 on dvd because I kept showing friends that pilot.

And the laughs are a mile a minute in that pilot, too.

Actually, if we're broadening the scope a little to include dramatic pilots, LOST ( yes, I'm going to keep capitalizing it) has the perfect drama pilot. It has a near impossible task of introducing like a baker's dozen characters, and it manages to do so while confidently planting the seeds for stories for years of content.

Close second (and one could make an argument for it being comedy) is Sleepy Hollow. It's exactly the kind of show that it presents itself as in the pilot. Completely batshit crazy with a solid, non romantic chemistry between the two leads and a surprisingly competent second tier cast.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I'm rewatching Angel for the first time since it aired with my boyfriend who hasn't seen much of it. We just finished season 2 and good drat is the Pylea arc good. He was kinda iffy on the series through the end of "Dark but not quite Angelus evil" Angel, and then Cordy got sent to Pylea and it became let's finish the season and start the next one.

And the premier of season three ends with such a bomb shell there were jaws hitting floors.

The boyfriend keeps talking about how practical Wesley is and how he'll do anything for the greater good, and it's all I can do to not scream "You have no idea how right you are!"

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Finally! I've been looking for a way to get the boyfriend to watch it and Netflix just wasn't cooperating. I'm excited to watch it again.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

soapgish posted:

I started watching to get someone to watch ARROW. The hierarchy of heaven is cool, angelic babe Anna, and how from S04 the show has embraced its schlock origins. And I'm aware of S05 being the Kripke end.

Does SUPERNATURAL have a powerful draw beyond season five? It's a fine program, it's consistently enough amusing, and just don't know if it would get better or worse. drat good show, but it screws the pooch more often than it gets it to play catch so far.

Supernatural hits really rough spots in seasons 6 and 7. 8 brings it back to higher quality and 9, so far with the exception of a REAL TANKER of a Dog episode, has been firing on most if not all cylinders. The downside of course being that there's a TREMENDOUS amount of broangst still. Stuff that they were griping and dealing with in season 1, is still being "dealt" with. Plus, they're doing the backdoor pilot to the spinoff in the 20th episode of this season, so there's that to see, too.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Yes. Yes please. All of this.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

zoux posted:

I do like Sam Witwer. Do they keep mostly the same cast the whole time, the UK kept losing actors.

Something else to keep in mind for BH US is that Jeremy Carver was show runner for at least the first season, and I think the second. Supernatural stole him back after that, but there was an EXCELLENT base laid and it's been solid the whole time since.

I can't help but seeing Aidan the vampire as Agent Ward of SHIELD though and it makes both shows kinda weird.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

precision posted:

Frankly I simply refuse to believe a black dude in an Asian gang would be a fan of twee and indie rock!

I'm kidding! I'm making with the joking!

April Fool's was two days ago, you can't pull the wool over my eyes.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

GreenNight posted:

I know if you're a student you get Prime cheaper but I forget how much.

I think it's 36$. I'll find out here soon since I just got an edu email account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

precision posted:

At least some car commercials still actually tell you a little bit about the product, which is more than can be said for almost every other commercial for anything ever.

And sometimes you get awesome car commercials like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFqaFu2maDg

Oh Hiddles :swoon:

• Locked thread