Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's fine plus it will give a bunch of good black actors a chance at high exposure roles. Hopefully we can get Bodie out of those FedEx commercials :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Two new AMC dramas in the pipe.

quote:

Not sure how to fill the Bryan-Cranston-bald-pate shaped hole in your heart now that Breaking Bad is no more? A source close to the situation just tipped me off that AMC is right on the brink of picking up two new dramas: Knifeman and Galyntine. This story is still breaking, and updates will continue to come as pickups are officially announced.

Knifeman, written by playwright Rolin Jones (who also produced Low Winter Sun for the net) and executive produced by Sam Raimi, is based on the book The Knifeman: The Extraordinary Life and Times of John Hunter, Father of Modern Surgery. The series focuses on an unorthodox self-educated surgeon who will go to any length to learn the secrets of the human body in 1771.

Galyntine, written by writer Jason Cahill and produced by Ridley Scott and Greg Nicotero, of The Walking Dead, is a sci-fi saga set in a futuristic dystopian society; plot details have been kept under wrap to date.

Knifeman looks cool and I'd love to see how AMC does sci-fi.

Also, I found the most 90's thing ever. It starts with like 10 orchestra hits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENZ3XbxCRZs

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 6, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guess who the no. 1 network is this season so far :psyduck:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought SNF football ratings were down across the board?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

The CW is actually up this year! So only mostly everything.

Have they renewed Arrow yet?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fuckin' better be....

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP02lfoCZ0c

This was posted in the Arrow thread, but they just cast that woman as a major character because the Arrow peeps know what they are about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

By cast, do you mean as a recurring, or "main titles" character?

She's Black Canary. She's recurring, but heavily featured.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Glad to see someone finally recognizing Sharknado...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't watch anything that is bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

FOUR new Marvel TV Series, Daredevil, Iron First, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones have just been announced.

ALL of them are exclusive to Netflix and will conclude with a cross over miniseries.

Starts next year with Daredevil.

Ahhhh ahhhhh ahhhhh!!!!!

Alias is like one of my favorite comic series ever and they will mos def have to have a Jessica Jones/Luke Cage crossover. And a Luke Cage/Iron Fist crossover.

AHHHHHHHH!

Also can you link the article so's I can send it around?

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 7, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cool thanks.

I wonder if they are going to make them family friendly or go premium cable style :getin:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As most of you know, Vince Gilligan got his start on X-files and his episodes are absolutely outstanding. Darren Morgan's are also very very good. Honestly, the worst episodes are anything written by Chris Carter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Wrong the worst episodes are ones written late in the series. Chris Carter wrote some pretty great episodes in the first couple of seasons.

I quit after season 6.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

soapgish posted:

I understand why I should be excited but this seems really desperate and ill-advised for having something, anything to do with street level characters. Problem is, I don't believe the stakes can be raised any higher than baddie in a penthouse sending out his goons with each series individually dealing until the team-up to take back the city, which win or lose will only be a headline about crime stats being down for two weeks and maybe some McGuffin to perpetuate struggle. A Spider-Man character works because while being street he's still a visually impressive A-list guy who can save the world and stop a purse snatching all the same, but this motley crew feels like the actual real life failures and pajama enthusiasts who dress up as superheroes and mobile phone in the real crimes.

In other words, you don't know poo poo about these characters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

Luke Cage is basically Black Dynamite.

70's Luke Cage was yeah, but nowadays he's just a cool guy.

But Michael Jai White would make an outstanding Power Man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Black Dynamite basically was '70s Luke Cage. The current Luke Cage is pretty different.

The biggest thing all these characters have in common is Brian Michael Bendis. Who either created, reinvented, or completely reinvigorated all of them over the last decade.

His Daredevil run is just incredible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

This Alias you guys are talking about is not related to that lousy Jennifer Garner TV show, right?

It's not like they're ever going to have any major superheroes in the SHIELD show, and that's assuming they'll even have minor superheroes.

Nah it's about a poor man's Ms Marvel who gives up being a superhero and becomes a PI.

Bobkatt's right too, it's outstanding.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's dumb to compare the Avengers to any other single superhero because the Avengers fight literally the baddest asses in the entire universe. So yeah, Luke Cage isn't going to be punching out Thanos or anything but you can still have good drama and stories with them facing dudes relative to their power level. Cage and Iron Fist are Heroes for Hire so they have an interesting angle on the superhero trope in that they aren't doing what they do because of great responsibility, they are just trying to stack that paper. (Even though Danny Rand is rich as poo poo :shrug: )

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

Hasn't Luke Cage been one of the most important members of the Avengers for the last 5-6 years?

If he wasn't tied up with Brooklyn 99 then Terry Crews woulda been perfect :allears:

Yeah all four of those characters have been Avengers (or New Avengers) at one point. Except JJ but she punched out Scarlet Witch one time.

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but its not much better. A few years ago comics started getting very talky and Alias was one of the books that led the trend. The only reason people say its good is because its different from the superhero books Marvel normally produces. However, compared to movies, tv shows or actual books, it offers nothing new and, in many respects, offers it in an inferior package.

As usual, completely wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't watched yesterday's Arrow yet, but was it as good as Amell was saying?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bown posted:

I actually have to agree with him this time. Most of what is considered intelligent work in mainstream comics is still light years behind things with similar acclaim in film and TV. For examples, go look at the emotional/heartwarming panels thread in BSS.

Can't that thread makes me cringe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How involved is Jeph Loeb gonna be in this :geno:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Harlock posted:

Have we reached over saturation of Superhero media yet? If not, it's approaching ever faster.

You can tell by how the genre is making more and more money each day, even though you don't like it, which doesn't seem fair.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't read comics in years and I've never read any of those characters thoroughly but I want to read that NOW!

http://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Devil-Inside-Out-TPB/dp/0785119884 there you go.

Brubaker also modernized Captain America and did the Winter Soldier arc iirc.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 7, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wish comics weren't so goddamned expensive!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Then you can read the Waid Daredevil!

Didn't Waid do the FF run where the kids get kidnapped and Reed goes loving insane with grief?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

No he went insane with grief since Doom killed Ben, but he decided to go get him back. He ended up meeting God who looks like Jack Kirby.

That's right. He also made Doom into a wizard right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Doesn't Doom wear his mask because the devil burned his face when he tried to use magic to pull his witch mom out of hell? Or something like that?

Comics, man. They go for it.

Nah it's because he did some ill advised experiment in college, and Reed Richards told him not to do it, and it backfired and disfigured him. (I guess that could've been getting his mom out of hell, I think it changes) The severity of the disfigurement ranges depending on who's writing the book, from full blown Mel-Gibson-Man-Without-A-Face scarring to a tiny, tiny scar that he can't bear to see because he's so vain.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not going to the library like a peasant!

The kindle comicbook app is pretty decent, that's how I read Locke and Key actually.

Wasn't somebody developing a L&K TV show? Did anything ever come of that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That would be a great crossover.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doug Benson has a webseries on Youtube called Getting Doug with High where he smokes weed with comedians.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLOF2es9tu8

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

As a premise, that sounds utterly insufferable.

Did you even watch it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nm

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the final word on Chuck?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What thing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh that, I can't believe that's still a thing. Didn't that happen like 2 weeks ago?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The CW ordered full seasons of its three freshmen shows (Tomorrow People, Reign and The Originals). I only watch TP and it's merely OK, I don't know about the other two. Wasn't there supposed to be some teen post-apoc CW show or something?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sc..scully-chan :sweatdrop:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that's from the episode where the Lone Gunmen trick her into coming out to Las Vegas and she gets some kind of mind control drug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I always liked the episodes where they let Gillian Andersen be less Scully, like the Rashomon episode with Luke Wilson or the Loch Ness monster episode.

• Locked thread