Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
To be fair, shooting T-Rexs with head mounted laser cannons and Dinos inside Mech Warriors will definitely make me play STO again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I just watched Hellraiser for the first time this month and you can imagine my surprise to find that Garak himself is one of the main characters.

I knew he was the crazy dude in dirty harry but never knew about Hellraiser.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Conquistador posted:

What is that picture from :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnHuNUNV0BE

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thom12255 posted:

I would rather watch 2009 and STID over movies such as Nemesis or Insurrection everytime. Unlike the latter, the former films are entertaining and well produced. I would say STID was a huge downgrade compared to 2009 though and I mostly blame the writers rather than JJ but seeing as though JJ insists on using those writers for everything right now I guess he shares some of the fault and his departure is a good thing for the franchise, hopefully Orci will follow.

Abrams is still a producer on Star Trek 3 or whatever they call it, and Orci and Kurtzman are already confirmed to be writing (Lindelof is out).

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Apple Jax posted:

Keep the gifs coming.

Somebody posted a link of their phone calendar a few threads ago and it amused me:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I love your montage of Mirandas blowing up. :allears:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Timby posted:

Abrams is still a producer on Star Trek 3 or whatever they call it, and Orci and Kurtzman are already confirmed to be writing (Lindelof is out).

My expectations for a good plot are low.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Hey kids! Lets dance!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1GYH7CIbA

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Thom12255 posted:

My expectations for a good plot are low.

I expect more references to old trek for the sake of references, rather than making them relevent or even integral to the new universe.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I always think after I watch a good episode of Star Trek, "Wow, that sure was an awesome plot that they came up with."

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
I have to admit the more I think on it the less bothered I am by how different Cumberbatch's Khan was, except for that line from Spock about how Khan had apparently committed genocide on non-augments, that seemed pretty new to me. The personality shift though makes sense because of the lack of Space Seed, there we see Khan fresh out of the tube a charismatic leader in exile who is greeted with respect and courtesy by another leader of men in Kirk. During the attempted hijacking of the Enterprise Kirk faced and bested him displaying a degree of courage that Khan admired, in short Kirk gave Khan hope that the men of that time were in a way equals to the augments.

In JJTrek however he was defrosted by Marcus, who then held his people hostage to force Khan to serve him, an unforgivable insult to Khan's pride among other things, but it also showed fear of the augments that he kept the others on ice. So to Khan Marcus was a coward far below him and his people and that contempt clearly coloured his interactions with Kirk and works with Cumberbatch's performance.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

CPFortest posted:

I always think after I watch a good episode of Star Trek, "Wow, that sure was an awesome plot that they came up with."

Me too, but without the irony or smugness.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

docevil never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQVc79FE5Bo

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Here's the Federation Anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXB84fpWzg8

And StarFleet's favourite furniture store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cip0TY91sjI

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 22, 2013

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Humour. I love it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0SJ9HuB5k
But what now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6n1zmyMbdg
gently caress it, lets all party like its 2399
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F30KZFVcQSo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CPFortest posted:

Someone had a film blog named "Good Plot" and I wish I had a film blog and stolen that name first.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Does anyone else really enjoy Vic Fontaine's singing on DS9? His screentime gets a lot of criticism but his voice is so smooth.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Thom12255 posted:

Does anyone else really enjoy Vic Fontaine's singing on DS9? His screentime gets a lot of criticism but his voice is so smooth.

I thought most Vic episodes were pretty drat good. I still don't understand people who don't like "Badda Bing, Badda Bang." It's as if they hate fun.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hyperriker posted:

VOYAGER

gently caress Voyager. Don't waste your time. I'm not going to waste my loving time writing about this horseshit. Don't get curious about Voyager. You don't need it in your life. Just go and watch Battlestar Galactica again.

This is the OP I've been waiting for. :allears:

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.
Kurtzman and Orci are hacks and have made what I'm sure is an obscene amount of money from their writing and that makes me mad.

Thank goodness Lindelof is gone, at least.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Blazing Ownager posted:

By using the other Riker they were able to get a Frakes appearance and dispense with all of that, and could focus entirely on the plot. It was entirely non-disruptive or ham fisted, which I can't say for, say, Bashir's appearance on DS9.

I know! What a looong cameo for that awkward bit character from some TNG episode! :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
All the episodes of Voyager about The Doctor are really enjoyable, and so is the Equinox two parter.

Hi, new Star Trek thread! Take us boldly where no goon has gone before!

:shobon:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

DrSunshine posted:

and so is the Equinox two parter.

The Equinox two parter is great as a glimpse of what Voyager could should have been.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Voyager has such wasted potential that its actually more painful to talk about the good episodes than the bad episodes

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

The new movies are pretty flawed but I can't be upset about it because lets be honest, TV trek also has some huge flaws and Trek movies don't have the best track record.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Thom12255 posted:

I do.

James Darren, the actor, released an album of Sinatra songs (is Sinatra a genre?) called This One's from the Heart with the full versions of pretty much all the songs he did on DS9. It's really quite good. It's regrettable it doesn't feature Avery Brooks though.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

DrNutt posted:

This is the OP I've been waiting for. :allears:

Free of the 'No. Watch it for completeness' ball and chain, we can rejoice!

The thing that hit me the most about the JJ movies, moreso Into Darkness because 2009 was just there to set the stage, is how there's just jack gently caress-all in there that's original. Almost every scene, you just look at it and it's lifted and copypasted from something that's already happened. Take that warp chase in the OP, it's just straight from Nemesis. Surgery on a torpedo. Giving your life to get main power back.

The scenes that are original are almost entirely pointless. Khan killing a bunch of Klingons just went on and on and on. Nobody at any point in the flying-through-debris scene thought that either of them weren't gonna get to the other side. KRONOS (why the gently caress not just spell it correctly? What's the point of such a minor deviation?). The Evil Guy Explains His Motives scene was loving awful, could barely keep up with Khan's dialogue.

Also they teased the Klingon threat almost the entire way through the buildup to the film's release and what we got were basically a bunch of Firefly's Reavers flying in a styleless tin bucket and dying immediately at the hands of one guy. What the gently caress, man.

e: as far as Voyager goes, Equinox and also Year of Hell

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Tell me, what does bundying mean? Is it some obscure Australian footie thing? All I can think of is Al Bundy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Hyperriker posted:

The thing that hit me the most about the JJ movies, moreso Into Darkness because 2009 was just there to set the stage, is how there's just jack gently caress-all in there that's original. Almost every scene, you just look at it and it's lifted and copypasted from something that's already happened. Take that warp chase in the OP, it's just straight from Nemesis. Surgery on a torpedo. Giving your life to get main power back.

The scenes that are original are almost entirely pointless. Khan killing a bunch of Klingons just went on and on and on. Nobody at any point in the flying-through-debris scene thought that either of them weren't gonna get to the other side. KRONOS (why the gently caress not just spell it correctly? What's the point of such a minor deviation?). The Evil Guy Explains His Motives scene was loving awful, could barely keep up with Khan's dialogue.

Also they teased the Klingon threat almost the entire way through the buildup to the film's release and what we got were basically a bunch of Firefly's Reavers flying in a styleless tin bucket and dying immediately at the hands of one guy. What the gently caress, man.

Into Darkness, like most summer blockbusters, just feels like a collection of visually impressive set pieces. At some point someone made an attempt to string them together into a coherent story, and did the best with what they had to work with.

Why is the Enterprise underwater? To look badass when it comes out.
Why does Khan go to Kronos? To look badass killing Klingons. (and provide a hook for the sequel, the highest priority of any summer movie)
Why does a secretive spy agency have a giant fuckoff Negaprise? To look badass in a standoff against the normal Enterprise.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Vagabundo posted:

And StarFleet's favourite furniture store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cip0TY91sjI
"Don't Klingon to that mattress!"

Like the Star Trek themesong? Like like Slam Jam song? Welp, here ya go:
http://r0cketsauce.bandcamp.com/track/slam-trek-the-next-jameration
Slam Trek The Next Gameration

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
JJTrek also has no clear idea of what it is exactly. It's not really a reboot and not really a re-imagining. There's no meaningful character development or interaction because it's all borrowed, intact, from the original. Themes and plot points are given their weight based on TOS, not from how they unfold in the movies themselves. The musical sting when Khan first appears and the reveal that he's not Harrison make no loving dramatic sense.

It's Cliff Notes and LARPing.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I've been watching TOS again for the first time in years, is it weird that I absolutely love the clicking noise whenever anyone presses a button or flicks a switch? It gives the technology this amazing sense of physicality. I want every button I press to make that noise.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hyperriker posted:

This is all really good stuff and I agree with it completely but I want to bitch about the fact that most of the film is washed out blue-red/orange like every other drat action flick these days. I mean I know it's not limited to the Trek movies but it's like, man we just got rid of the stupid loving lens flare (I genuinely thought it was intrusive, honest) and they go and flatten the rest of their ugly-looking movie with that awful colour correction except for all of 8 seconds at the very end.

I'm betting the next movie is another soulless amalgamation, this time of TUC and First Contact.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tighclops posted:

This is all really good stuff and I agree with it completely but I want to bitch about the fact that most of the film is washed out blue-red/orange like every other drat action flick these days. I mean I know it's not limited to the Trek movies but it's like, man we just got rid of the stupid loving lens flare (I genuinely thought it was intrusive, honest) and they go and flatten the rest of their ugly-looking movie with that awful colour correction except for all of 8 seconds at the very end.

I'm betting the next movie is another soulless amalgamation, this time of TUC and First Contact.

Errbody else in this thread will be all "ugh, another REHASH" but I will be legitimately excited if we get to see Borg in the TOS setting of the JJTrek movies.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

That movie sounds great to me

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

DrNutt posted:

Errbody else in this thread will be all "ugh, another REHASH" but I will be legitimately excited if we get to see Borg in the TOS setting of the JJTrek movies.

If it's basically a space zombie movie and doesn't have the Queen, I'd be down for it.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

egon_beeblebrox posted:

If it's basically a space zombie movie and doesn't have the Queen, I'd be down for it.

Knowing our luck, the JJBorg would be lead by Locutus.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Conquistador posted:

Voyager has such wasted potential that its actually more painful to talk about the good episodes than the bad episodes

What are the good episodes? I've only seen it intermittently, and they all seem to be Janeway Is Stupid, Aliens of the Week, and Oh No Borg :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Shadeoses posted:

What are the good episodes? I've only seen it intermittently, and they all seem to be Janeway Is Stupid, Aliens of the Week, and Oh No Borg :geno:

Sometimes you get lucky and get a The Doctor Is Awesome episode. Because he's awesome.

• Locked thread