Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The short run time would be perfect for an adult swim style comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The no arcs thing is probably to prevent people from gaming the 15 minute limit by just doing 15 minute sections of one story.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

Paramount is who screwed up as they could have locked her in with a sequel clause in the STII contact since it was her first movie, but they forgot to do so.

Well, let's keep in mind that when they were casting ST2, there was no certainty that there would be a third movie.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

The 'no arcs' and 'no ST alumni' are both weird rules. I do wonder if this has more to do with the upcoming series though. Seems arbitrary.

The arc thing is probably to avoid someone releasing "Prelude to Axanar: A Star Trek Fan Film" as eight 15 minute episodes or somesuch. The "no almuni" thing is probably because having the presence of known Trek stars like Takei, Russ, etc lends legitimacy to these projects and might make casual fans (lol like Star Trek has those) confuse a backyard film with a legit CBS/Paramount product. Also having talented pro writers, directors, and fx guys makes them too polished.

Also while the rules don't apply to audio, they do apply to animated stuff, which is too bad, because a couple of these projects have done some TAS homages as well that are really nice. I think it's a CYA thing on the part of CBS because it's reaching the point where CGI will be so realistic and cheap to do for an amateur that in 10 years I could see someone doing an all CGI Star Trek "animated" film/series that was indistinguishable from a filmed live action product. So they are thinking ahead here, not just trying to stop a 70s style cartoon.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 30, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh god, I just watched 'The Visitor' for the first time in 15 years, and I am bawling. So good.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

bull3964 posted:

Meyer didn't want Robin Curtis

Who ever did? I'm genuinely curious who her champion was. She's not especially talented or pretty but somehow landed a pretty huge role in Search for Spock....somehow. Like I would suspect she's Nimoy's daughter or something, but I've never heard any rumors about how she got the part.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Well, let's keep in mind that when they were casting ST2, there was no certainty that there would be a third movie.

Doesn't really matter, that's boiler plate type stuff and a pretty huge oversight on their part. It's no risk to Paramount to include it.

As far as Robin Curtis goes, I'm assuming she was cheap and was available immediately after talks with Alley broke down. Also, apparently, they didn't want her to try to ape Alley's performance and insisted on a more stoic Vulcan personality.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Addendum: All ST series are on Netflix UK as of today.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK9dlmYvB-Y

http://www.pstewsings.com/

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Patrick Stewart is a magical person and I hope he lives forever.

For-goddamn-ever.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The only thing that could make that better would be a duet with Sir Ian.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Who ever did? I'm genuinely curious who her champion was. She's not especially talented or pretty but somehow landed a pretty huge role in Search for Spock....somehow. Like I would suspect she's Nimoy's daughter or something, but I've never heard any rumors about how she got the part.

Nimoy was heavily overruled by Bennett when it came to casting decisions on The Search for Spock. But Nimoy had never liked Alley's portrayal of Saavik in the first place.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Timby posted:

Nimoy was heavily overruled by Bennett when it came to casting decisions on The Search for Spock. But Nimoy had never liked Alley's portrayal of Saavik in the first place.

Nimoy seemed pretty ok with Alley. He has some pretty nice things to say about her performance and really tried to get her back for III.

The Shat didn't like her. He had real issue with her crying at Spock's funeral because "Vulcans can't cry."

Roddenberry also didn't like the character at all, but that's Roddenberry for you.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Rodd was probably just pissed he didn't get to nail her.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kazinsal posted:

He really wanted her to be part human like Spock.

So...probably.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kazinsal posted:

Wonder how hard he tried with Persis Khambatta.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

bull3964 posted:

Nimoy seemed pretty ok with Alley. He has some pretty nice things to say about her performance and really tried to get her back for III.

The Shat didn't like her. He had real issue with her crying at Spock's funeral because "Vulcans can't cry."

Roddenberry also didn't like the character at all, but that's Roddenberry for you.

Shat's not wrong!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Klingons do NOT cry.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

A pretty cool way to raise funds for the IRC. Plus he does a duet with his wife.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXhIT4MpRis

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I refuse to acknowledge any song named Sledgehammer that isn't this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJWJE0x7T4Q

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Has someone tried that number yet?

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Has someone tried that number yet?

Yes and you owe it to yourself to call it right now.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

WickedHate posted:

Man, John Harriman really got hosed over.

He tried to leave the impulse engines in full reverse once they got back to drydock, but it was no use.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

So he claimed later on, but as I said earlier, if he really wanted her back, it could have happened -- it's not like she had exploded on Cheers or Look Who's Talking at that point, and at that point in her career she was doing low-budget schlock like Runaway. No, much like Christopher Lloyd over Edward James Olmos, this was Bennett overruling the first-time director, and Nimoy took the opportunity to have her act like a "real Vulcan." And, to be fair, Search for Spock was still produced by the television division, and that was pretty much the standard procedure. On Wrath of Khan, for example, Meyer had like one pre-production meeting with ILM, and literally everything else was handled by Bob Sallin, who was also on the set advising Meyer at all times. But it was that kind of pushing around on Star Trek III that led to Nimoy being much more involved in the pre-production and casting and post-production on Voyage Home, which led to a lot of "gently caress you, Leonard" / "No, gently caress you, Harve" exchanges.

quote:

Roddenberry, as he was wont to do, loved to take credit for things that weren't his, and that included Saavik, so he leaked the possibility of her being a traitor to the fanzines, just as he did with Spock's death and the destruction of the Enterprise, saying that she was now a beloved character among the fans and Meyer didn't have the right to make her do a heel turn. Meyer turned around with a blistering retort that he had created Saavik, not Roddenberry, and if he had anything to say about what Meyer wanted to do with her, then Meyer would listen after Roddenberry gave back all the money he'd made from Meyer's films. Roddenberry shut the gently caress up after that. In any event, Alley had blown up in popularity at that point, and with the movie already under an extremely tight budget considering the salaries of the principal cast by that point, she was well out of their price range.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
They already replaced Kirstie Alley with Robin Curtis in Star Trek 3 and 4, so they could have just hired her again instead. It would have been better if they had Saavik turn heel. Hell, as a kid, I literally thought they were the same character until I noticed they weren't.

Valeris's hairdo kinda weirds me out because she has no sideburns and it looks really odd.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yeah the lack of sideburns always seemed off to me. Also the mismatched collar and shoulder tab, but that's explainable...somehow, I guess.

What about that headband, though? I thought those weren't allowed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

They already replaced Kirstie Alley with Robin Curtis in Star Trek 3 and 4, so they could have just hired her again instead.

Meyer didn't care for Curtis' portrayal at all, which is why he created Valeris when Alley proved too expensive.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was feeling bad for Alley, but apparently she kind of sucks.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

WickedHate posted:

I was feeling bad for Alley, but apparently she kind of sucks.

She said she refused to do a cameo on Frasier because he's a psychiatrist. The producers countered by saying they never asked her to do one.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Mister Kingdom posted:

She said she refused to do a cameo on Frasier because he's a psychiatrist. The producers countered by saying they never asked her to do one.

Oh so she's the one who became a scientologist, I was struggling to remember which one she was. Its not exactly uncommon for SF actors to be scientologists (hello Tom Cruise), or other UFO cultists but it always struck me as weird.

I mean they're aware of all the freely borrowing from earth myth and similarities to religion inherent in the stuff, you'd think they'd be more immune, resistant to it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tom Cruise is such a huge sci-fi fan that he made it his religion.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Scientology works by giving bits and pieces while it brainwashes you. By the time you get to the really weird bullshit you're already a million levels in and thoroughly indoctrinated.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

Scientology works by giving bits and pieces while it brainwashes you. By the time you get to the really weird bullshit you're already a million levels in and thoroughly indoctrinated.

Just ... like the Federation.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Timby posted:

Just ... like the Federation.

Reminder Rodenberry and Hubbard knew each other, and Gene was a little curious (or jealous) of Hubbard's religious successes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Roddenberry was basically the geek pope for awhile until his death, so I guess it worked out for him. "Great Bird of the Galaxy" even sounds like a cult leader title.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Baka-nin posted:

Reminder Rodenberry and Hubbard knew each other, and Gene was a little curious (or jealous) of Hubbard's religious successes.

I was about to make a joke about Hubbard inspiring the Ferengi, but then I remembered Roddenberry's pitch documents about them and that's just a road I don't want to venture down.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

"Great Bird of the Galaxy" even sounds like a cult leader title.

As I recall, that was a title given to Roddenberry by Bob Justman as a joke, and Roddenberry just ran with it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

As I recall, that was a title given to Roddenberry by Bob Justman as a joke, and Roddenberry just ran with it.

I'm just saying, if you didn't know about that nickname, and heard a cult headed by a guy called that just committed suicide so their souls could be caught by a passing comet, you wouldn't blink an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gammatron 64 posted:

They already replaced Kirstie Alley with Robin Curtis in Star Trek 3 and 4, so they could have just hired her again instead. It would have been better if they had Saavik turn heel. Hell, as a kid, I literally thought they were the same character until I noticed they weren't.

Valeris's hairdo kinda weirds me out because she has no sideburns and it looks really odd.

I think we were better off with Kim Cattrall as Valeris. First, I don't think some of the scenes would have worked as well with Robin Curtis, but also I think the story is stronger.

If it's Saavik betraying her comrades and country, then there's inevitably the question of emotional motivations - Klingons blew up Grissom and killed David. We can't escape it. (Also there would be the endless fan-lore questioning of "well she's half-Romulan, sooooo...")

Valeris doesn't have any such ties. She can (pretend to) be coldly logical about the whole thing, and I think that's an important part of her membership in the conspiracy; the idea that there are people who will justify really heinous acts under the guise of merely 'logically' working towards legitimate security interests.

• Locked thread