Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
It wasn't like that this time. Dude kept building his mini in the same spot where I shot it 5 times in a row then got really mad at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Hihohe posted:

working together

They call it Team Fortress 2 for a reason. Sadly, the reason is irony.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

RareAcumen posted:

Cool!

So, I thought it was just my mouse juttering at first but after giving Pyro and Loose Cannon a shot I'm pretty convinced that the Huntsman is messed up now. Which is a real shame because that's one of the easier ways to fight Merasmus. Anyone else having problems with the Huntsman?

If you hold it too long, the sniper's hand starts wobbling which means the arrow isn't going to go near where you're pointing it and you have to right click to reset it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Does anyone have the Tin Soldier voice files in individual mp3s, I need them for a halloween costume. Of the Tin Soldier. So it'll be a costume of a costume.

I looked it up but got about as far as "use this gcf reader to open the gcf with the audio files in it" only to find that there is no gcf file anymore apparently

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gcfscape opens the vpk files just fine, just open the one with the _dir in the filename.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

They're wavs but:

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Soldier_responses#Item-related_responses

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jusupov posted:

It wasn't like that this time. Dude kept building his mini in the same spot where I shot it 5 times in a row then got really mad at me.

When I'm dropping minis it only takes one decent player to make my minis completely useless. That's why it's so fun to keep slaughtering people with the mini + widowmaker combo.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Cool!

So, I thought it was just my mouse juttering at first but after giving Pyro and Loose Cannon a shot I'm pretty convinced that the Huntsman is messed up now. Which is a real shame because that's one of the easier ways to fight Merasmus. Anyone else having problems with the Huntsman?

Wait -- are you aware that the Huntsman doesn't let you charge it for too long? If you hold it at maximum-charge longer than a second or so, it starts to shake, and you get a huge accuracy penalty. You can cancel the shot by right-clicking before you let go of left-click.

EDIT: oops, someone already said this. Missed a page.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 25, 2014

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There's also this weird thing where it looks like you've pulled the arrow all the way back, but the charge bar isn't full. I end up having to hold the button for another full second or so, even though the drawback animation stopped. (It might just be me though.)

The loss of accuracy occurs something like 5 second after fully charging the shot, I think.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Mini's can be annoying because they don't really require any skill from the engie, as long as they're physically capable of pressing a couple of buttons they're set. In return, you get a very annoying distraction for some classes and something quite dangerous for others. Once it's gone, you can just poo poo out another for 100 metal.

One way to annoy gunslinger engies is to just sap them with the red tape recorder. If I remember right, it takes a fair while to completely sap and the engie can't just destroy their own sentry when it's being sapped.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

QwertySanchez posted:

I want more weapons that give the classes more options in play style (hello fat scout), but I want in on some of those cosmetic items that affect gameplay for those wearing them too like the alien stuff, I hope to see more items along that line this halloween.

They already tried that with item sets, where you have to equip 3 kinda lame weapons and some lame, expensive cosmetics to get a mediocre bonus. It sucked then, Valve removed it and life was better.

The Alien set is OK specifically because it only affects balance for those players who also equip the appropriate items, but that's really limiting in terms of the attributes you can tweak. And also, those items are specifically halloween only, so they're only around like 2 weeks a year plus once a month.

Things like movespeed, dead-ring ability, etc don't have a specific "enemy" they effect, you're really talking about tweaking damage and status effects and that's it. And really, there's no such thing as "only affecting gameplay for certain players" - having some of the players on my team die 50% faster to flamethrowers does affect the rest of the team too, just like a team of all snipers and spies. The only thing that truly has no effect on the rest of the team is Pyrovision.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 25, 2014

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

One way to annoy gunslinger engies is to just sap them with the red tape recorder. If I remember right, it takes a fair while to completely sap and the engie can't just destroy their own sentry when it's being sapped.

Yeah, this tends to really piss off dedicated mini engies. Either that or go Direct Hit solider and just play whack-a-mole with them. If the sentries get nailed as soon as they're dropped, they tend to give up pretty quickly.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I've said it before - what TF2 really needs is an officially sanctioned "game mode" system where weapons can be blacklisted or rebalanced to drastically alter the feel of the game.

That way you could just have Aliens versus Predator mode and I can play my normal shootmans game. I can avoid 2fort sniper standoff servers, but I can't avoid items that alter the game balance for gimmicks. Don't get me wrong, the Alien changes aren't particularly bothersome, and I would play some of the gimmicky modes too. I just want a standard baseline TF2 gameplay to stay around, while also having some freedom to experiment with more drastic changes to the game balance.

Think of this as officially-sanctioned Friday Night Funhaver modes - grodbert only mode, melee-only, instagib sniper mode, etc, with some standard server settings and maybe some weapon rebalances as appropriate. Add that into the vote system, so you can vote for map+mode, like "Classlimit-2 Dustbowl" or "No-Mini Hightower" or "Stock Viaduct". That way you can alternate between funhaver rounds and more serious stuff on the same server, and tweak the gameplay on certain maps that have become broken by weapon unlocks, gameplay changes, and higher player counts.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 25, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Does any one know how I make the end of round scoreboard show damage? I thought it was in the advanced options and "enable html motd" but that doesn't seem to do it? Is there another motd command, because I'm sure it was related to that?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Can you paint the alien set with halloween colors?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Mini's can be annoying because they don't really require any skill from the engie, as long as they're physically capable of pressing a couple of buttons they're set. In return, you get a very annoying distraction for some classes and something quite dangerous for others. Once it's gone, you can just poo poo out another for 100 metal.
Yeah that's kindof my issue with them too. They're not exactly overpowered (other than maybe on KOTH) - one mediocre explosives class player should be able to take them down easily - but destroying them is tedious since you can easily be forced to do it four or five times in a row, again and again, throughout the game.

I say this as someone who used the mini-sentry almost exclusively for a good while when I was starting out and literally could not aim at all.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Agreed minis aren't over powered but against a team full of stubborn engies who don't mind just retreating and turtling it can be very frustrating.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I use minis because I like hitscan weapons and a bunnyhopping engi shootgunning people and making GBS threads out minis is the best way to do that other than sniper and heavy but if I like hitscan weapons I should probably go play a different game bye

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have a new computer. I copy and pasted my tf2 files and settings over complete with chris configs etc.

I have only just realised after googling it that my hat for buying worms is actually dark green? On my last computer it looked like some sort of rare hat with glowing yellow/orange textures (I can't really describe it properly). It looked loving amazing, I'm sad to see what it actually looks like?

Has any one else had this? I was using dx8 and chris high frames (which is exactly what I'm using now), I havew no idea what went wrong though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Jippa posted:

I have only just realised after googling it that my hat for buying worms is actually dark green? On my last computer it looked like some sort of rare hat with glowing yellow/orange textures (I can't really describe it properly). It looked loving amazing, I'm sad to see what it actually looks like?

Has any one else had this? I was using dx8 and chris high frames (which is exactly what I'm using now), I havew no idea what went wrong though.

Pretty sure it's an oddity with some of the low-quality graphics modes. I sometimes get a similar thing, my Bill's Hat will appear piss-yellow while I'm taunting or during the humiliation sequence.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Slime posted:

The arc of the arrow depends on how much you've charged it, unlike flares and the loose cannon that have the same arc all the time. Maybe that's making it hard for you to use it.

duz posted:

If you hold it too long, the sniper's hand starts wobbling which means the arrow isn't going to go near where you're pointing it and you have to right click to reset it.

It's not that though. Sometimes I'm able to charge the shot up like you'd want to and others I just launch it like I'm trying to shoot with a sniper rifle. I tried the Loose Cannon and Pyro afterwards to see if it was my mouse and had no trouble with the Loose Cannon. Pyro is giving me trouble keeping a constant flame flowing though.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pretty sure it's an oddity with some of the low-quality graphics modes. I sometimes get a similar thing, my Bill's Hat will appear piss-yellow while I'm taunting or during the humiliation sequence.

Ah I see, it's so funny that it looked like an intentionally amazing hat with that glitch.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Jippa posted:

Ah I see, it's so funny that it looked like an intentionally amazing hat with that glitch.

By the way, try launching with the specified -dxlevel option on your new PC and see if that fixes it. I don't think it'll solve the issue, but that's one thing that doesn't carry over between different installations just from config files.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I think the most annoying thing about a gunslinger engie is it lets you do teamwork by yourself. You set up your own tiny heavy anywhere you need it, with perfect aim, who will never walk away or do something else! And anyone trying to deal with it can eat shotgun shells to the face. Scouts just die the moment they come near it, and you can get loads of easy kills on anyone distracted by your other teammates, if your team decides teamwork is cool too.

Minis are obnoxious.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

By the way, try launching with the specified -dxlevel option on your new PC and see if that fixes it. I don't think it'll solve the issue, but that's one thing that doesn't carry over between different installations just from config files.

Yeah I'm a veteran of this stuff and know what to put as launch options etc.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

AugmentedVision posted:

I use minis because I like hitscan weapons and a bunnyhopping engi shootgunning people and making GBS threads out minis is the best way to do that other than sniper and heavy but if I like hitscan weapons I should probably go play a different game bye

That's me, but I also discovered Scout. I'd play Pyro and mostly shotgun people, and play Engineer to mostly shotgun people, then I realized "hey if I like the shotgun so much, I should try using the class that's primarily focused on a shotgun" and when I got used to it I started having a great time.

Minisentries were a huge pain in the rear end for a while, but the dual nerfs were plenty, as far as I'm concerned: First, they made it no longer regenerate health while building, so any damage you get in early will leave it fragile for later. Then, they made its hitbox a LOT larger (calling it a "fix", so apparently it wasn't ever meant to be as small as it was). The result is that minisentries go down a lot easier than they used to, giving you more chances to take out the engineer, and letting you clean up his garbage easier after he's dead.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 25, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

gnome7 posted:

Minis are obnoxious.

Like I say, they aren't over powered or any thing it's just annoying facing 5/6 of them when your own team only has a few sollies/demos.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.

Jippa posted:

I have a new computer. I copy and pasted my tf2 files and settings over complete with chris configs etc.

The actual reason for this is many DX8 models are bugged to have the texture for fire overlaid on top of them, so they appear to be a glowing, animated orange. I believe the Cheater's Lament is another example, it looks like a flaming rusty ring of metal over your head in DX8.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I use the shotgun with Pyro so much that I honestly might as well play Scout, but I just find Pyro so much more versatile. I'm decent with Scout, but as Pyro I can reflect things, extinguish teammates, stall/push back ubers/dangers to my teammates and spycheck as well as use my shotty. I like to shoot mans, but at the same time I like to be as helpful as I can. :3:

On an unrelated note, playing through the first ever Halloween event I participated in (the Lakeside one) on an actually decent laptop made me want to compare screenshots.

Look at that fps count on the older screenshot. How on earth did I play this game :stare:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

gnome7 posted:

Scouts just die the moment they come near it

Bad scouts maybe.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Zero! posted:

The actual reason for this is many DX8 models are bugged to have the texture for fire overlaid on top of them, so they appear to be a glowing, animated orange. I believe the Cheater's Lament is another example, it looks like a flaming rusty ring of metal over your head in DX8.

That texture was loving awesome.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Butt Detective posted:

I use the shotgun with Pyro so much that I honestly might as well play Scout, but I just find Pyro so much more versatile. I'm decent with Scout, but as Pyro I can reflect things, extinguish teammates, stall/push back ubers/dangers to my teammates and spycheck as well as use my shotty. I like to shoot mans, but at the same time I like to be as helpful as I can. :3:

On an unrelated note, playing through the first ever Halloween event I participated in (the Lakeside one) on an actually decent laptop made me want to compare screenshots.

Look at that fps count on the older screenshot. How on earth did I play this game :stare:

Oh hey, I'm the Scout in that screenshot! I'd recognise my garish pink shoes anywhere. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

xzzy posted:

gcfscape opens the vpk files just fine, just open the one with the _dir in the filename.
Thanks a bunch! :)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jippa posted:

Agreed minis aren't over powered but against a team full of stubborn engies who don't mind just retreating and turtling it can be very frustrating.

They're overpowered in the same context the Heavy was (that eventually got it nerfed after a jillion years.) Like the raw power it has isn't all that impressive and it's not gamebreaking against people who know what they're doing. You can be doing much more powerful things.

But just like Heavy, you can get a handful of people investing about 0 effort or expertise having a HUGE outsized impact on the game when facing your average pub team of a couple competent folks and 8-10 idiots.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
So how many Golden Pans is that now?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I AM A ROBOT FROM THE FUTURE

I DO NOT FEEL PAIN

OR PITY

OR REMORSE

OR COMFORTABLE

IN THIS COSTUME

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I've been playing a lot on helltower, and powerjack pyro is great fun. You get enough speed to engage scouts fairly well if you get close, and nobody seems to expect it. I've hardly used my flamethrower at all, just the occasional scorch shot to deter snipers and ignite scouts.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Captain Invictus posted:

I AM A ROBOT FROM THE FUTURE

I DO NOT FEEL PAIN

OR PITY

OR REMORSE

OR COMFORTABLE

IN THIS COSTUME

How far into the night will your shoes fall apart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.

Respawning in 5

• Locked thread