Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Euro (and maybe Eastern American) players, a call to arms. We have a goon group who's been playing together in different tournaments for a while, but is now sticking exclusively to Highlander, the 9v9 format where only one class of each may be present (how TF2 should be played, some say) and due to recent changes in the line up it's recruiting time.

Are you tired of playing in pub servers where the concept of team play is nearly non-existant and the maps are always terrible? Would you like to play with friendly people, improve your skills, or just try something different? 'Tis your chance. As per the last post in that thread, ETF2L Highlander is starting (7 weeks event, one match per week) and we are missing a couple of people, join us. We are halfway between casual and tryhard and stuck on the lower divisions, so you don't have to be a mega pro to play with us, just responsible enough not to disappear mid-season.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I just wish pub games had an actual winner. I am constantly amazed by how universal the feeling that going 3-0 but failing to capture the final point is considered "losing." If the other team attacked and captured 0 points, then we already won since we captured infinite times more points than them. But woe is us for not capturing that final point!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Jose Mengelez posted:

It's almost as if stat tracking weapons are basically worthless.

I'm proud to say I don't own a single strange. And I really wish you could get non-strange Botkillers.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Has anyone heard when the update is going to happen? Tonight or early next week? Don't the server operators usually get a heads up a little bit before when the source stuff gets updated?

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Alright loadout dump --

Spy Heavy

The Piss Deacon

Sniper S Thompson

Nature Boy

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Mann

Pyrocop, M.D.

You no take candle

Scout 1982

Future Scout 199X

Horrible French Stereotype

Jimi

...and of course, this thing.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Mair Mask just proves that even the stock Pyro mask could do amazing things if you could paint it.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Doji Sekushi posted:

Alright loadout dump --

Spy Heavy

My favorite. :allears: Only thing that would make it better is a conscious objector with a spy knife decal'd on it.

I know it's been done probably many times over, but it's such a great idea.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

Indecisive posted:

What video was this from again? I want to rewatch but can't remember
Frustration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtPuPumZBuE

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That was a good watch.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose Mengelez posted:

It's almost as if stat tracking weapons are basically worthless.

Couldn't disagree more. Strange weapons are amazing at reenforcing behaviors that lead to your personal TF2 ''goals'', allowing you to customize what's tracked to allow you to see real concrete improvement towards landing Market Gardeners or beating a difficult class matchup (heavies killed on my scattergun is currently at 80, has so many fond memories), and also sometimes discover interesting trends and flaws about your play-style that you'd never have noticed without this additional data. It's what the now vestigial (but brilliantly designed) personal bests system shoud have evolved into, a mechanism that gives you usable data about how your play is improving.

The problems with strange weapons is they cost for a functionality that should have been implemented for free (binding them to the godawful hat baron economy, meaning some really commonly used weapons are ridiculously prohibitively expensive: a Strange Kritzkrig costs, once you convert out of keys, 64 loving dollars), and that they show the other player, the player you killed, these numbers for no reason other then to reduce the positives into pointless, ridiculously easy to falsify dick waving contests.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I just use my strange weapons as a reference to see how often or how efficiently I've used a weapon to kill dudes. I do think it's funny when people call me out for having a strange with "low numbers" because it means I'm obviously a scrub, not like those pro dudes with Hale's Own weapons that got them totally legit without going to an idle server to grind them*!

* they did use an idle server to grind them

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

I recently realized that strange hats and miscs count points for kiling bots while dicking around on tr_walkway. :eng99:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd laugh for a week solid if Valve revealed they had a way to track how strange weapons got their counters incremented, and implemented some kind of cheater's lament-esque response.

Not because the numbers matter, but the community wailing would be amazing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Stranges own because my strange pistol has been shaming me into using it more and that's made me a better scout.

(Also my Hale's Own Strange Festive Scatter is legitimate :colbert: )

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

It's too bad because I have a legit hale's own grenade launcher. It was my first strange ever and for the longest time I never had it off of my demo. I even used the splendid screen initally for increased mobility and learned to aim with/rely on it very quickly. It's a great feeling popping a minisentry with one grenade.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I'd probably end up with a Hale's Own Stickybomb Launcher before anything else. Before I got a strange Original, I would've said the Rocket Launcher could reach it as well, but splitting time between the two weapons put a stop to that. By comparison, the Stickybomb Launcher doesn't have quite as equivalent a sidegrade, which is a shame.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I really need to get better at the midrange encounters with stickies. I can connect pipes just fine and pop Scouts all the time but I always seem to think a half-second behind when using stickies directly.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I really need to get better at the midrange encounters with stickies. I can connect pipes just fine and pop Scouts all the time but I always seem to think a half-second behind when using stickies directly.

If you can connect your pipes just stick with them at mid range maybe airburst a couple of stickies as the coup de grace.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose Mengelez posted:

If you can connect your pipes just stick with them at mid range maybe airburst a couple of stickies as the coup de grace.

Stickies also have damage falloff (that turns off after 5 seconds) so you might be landing shots just fine, you're just not used to having to deal with falloff.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My top strange is the fists of steel with 900 ish kills. :v:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

My best strange is my Scattergun with 400 kills. I've seen people make fun of me for not having four digits :shrug:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm in awe of high numbers on stranges only if the player using it is obviously skilled enough to make it clear they are legit. It also makes me more likely to go for a cap while high fiving them after we clean up a control point together, or on "high five enemies" enabled servers after they've destroyed the entire rest of my team and need to reload.

I'm sitting at around 1.8k kills on the reserve shooter from my pyro, demoknights and market gardener soldiers beware :v:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

My favorite. :allears: Only thing that would make it better is a conscious objector with a spy knife decal'd on it.

I know it's been done probably many times over, but it's such a great idea.

What's that Sandvich? Stab them all? Good idea! HAHAHAHAHA *Schadenfreude taunt after every backstab*

(The Tomislav never gets used but I picked the silent weapon because stealth. Considering getting a strange one, calling it a 'Strange Sapper' and putting buildings destroyed on it)

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

What's that Sandvich? Stab them all? Good idea! HAHAHAHAHA *Schadenfreude taunt after every backstab*

(The Tomislav never gets used but I picked the silent weapon because stealth. Considering getting a strange one, calling it a 'Strange Sapper' and putting buildings destroyed on it)

Hahaha yisssssss. If I had a name tag I would give you that and buildings destroyed.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Hahaha yisssssss. If I had a name tag I would give you that and buildings destroyed.

I have a name tag! I would trade you for the other bit if I can gather the metal etc :) E: 1.6-1.8 keys, I do not have that :negative:

Incidentally, that loadout gets the best response from people. All talk servers with people bursting out laughing after I kill them, it's a good time. My favourite is "You have the CO! I thought you were a friendly Heavy! :(" I am not Heavy. I am sneaky Spy.

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 25, 2013

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'd probably end up with a Hale's Own Stickybomb Launcher before anything else. Before I got a strange Original, I would've said the Rocket Launcher could reach it as well, but splitting time between the two weapons put a stop to that. By comparison, the Stickybomb Launcher doesn't have quite as equivalent a sidegrade, which is a shame.

Now try splitting time between all nine classes. And it didn't help that I didn't play TF2 at all for most of 2012.

CoolCab posted:

Couldn't disagree more. Strange weapons are amazing at reenforcing behaviors that lead to your personal TF2 ''goals'', allowing you to customize what's tracked to allow you to see real concrete improvement towards landing Market Gardeners or beating a difficult class matchup (heavies killed on my scattergun is currently at 80, has so many fond memories), and also sometimes discover interesting trends and flaws about your play-style that you'd never have noticed without this additional data. It's what the now vestigial (but brilliantly designed) personal bests system shoud have evolved into, a mechanism that gives you usable data about how your play is improving.

The problems with strange weapons is they cost for a functionality that should have been implemented for free (binding them to the godawful hat baron economy, meaning some really commonly used weapons are ridiculously prohibitively expensive: a Strange Kritzkrig costs, once you convert out of keys, 64 loving dollars), and that they show the other player, the player you killed, these numbers for no reason other then to reduce the positives into pointless, ridiculously easy to falsify dick waving contests.
Or also for making you realize that your playstile is seriously lopsided. For example, I have over 2600 kills in my GL but under 1000 in my Sticky Launcher because of a period of intensive demoknighting. And also maybe because I'm not that good at predicting with the Sticky Launcher, even my LnL and Eyelander have more kills than it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

qnqnx posted:

Now try splitting time between all nine classes. And it didn't help that I didn't play TF2 at all for most of 2012.

Every time I want to play a class that isn't Soldier or Demoman, it just feels weird to me. I love making things explode and flying in the air thanks to explosions. Thanks, explosions.

Thexplosions.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Mercury Crusader posted:

Every time I want to play a class that isn't Soldier or Demoman, it just feels weird to me. I love making things explode and flying in the air thanks to explosions. Thanks, explosions.

Thexplosions.

It's okay, no one else will play soldier or demo anyway, Look Around You, it's just snipers and spies.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

Thexplosions.

If I could focus on one or two classes I would have solved my need for getting, hoarding and applying parts to stranges long ago. I simply just get fed up of playing the same class over and over.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mercury Crusader posted:

Thexplosions.

I know what you mean. Am I the only one who sometimes gets sort of...class performance anxiety? When you're join a team with a really obvious gap, like no engineers, or who are struggling against a specific tactic a particular class is best at countering, like a counter sniper to at least distract and engage someone running wild, or a pyro if you're having spy problems, that sort of thing.

Problem is, if you sit me down and have me play a match as each class, I'm going to do really well three times, do okay twice, then four times (sniper engineer spy and unfortunately soldier, since I still can't rocket jump :( I can sticky jump pretty consistently but put a rocket under me and I'll make it to a head high ledge one time in three) I'd be contributing more by running over to engineers and /exploding for the metal.

Sorry for being the second demoman, team. Even without teleporters, trust me, you're better off :smith:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

CoolCab posted:

Sorry for being the second demoman, team. Even without teleporters, trust me, you're better off :smith:

Second demoman (especially non-demoknight) is a whole lot better than switching to third spy, sniper or engineer (or the 6th+ non-combat class). This morning I was running Kritzkrieg medic and even though no one class was being stacked, I had practically nobody to uber: on my 11-person team we had two snipers, two spies, two engineers and two demoknights.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
A few days ago, I pocketed an Engineer who had his level 3 sentry, dispenser and both teleporters set up directly outside our spawn doors (on offense Capture Points) and just sat there with him at 100% charge and using the Move Up and Go voice commands until he got out of the nest with his shotgun. He got a couple of kills with the ubercharge, then after he saw just how much empty space there was between where he'd set up and where the fight was, he picked a better spot.
Sometimes it really works!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's so hard to find pub servers running granary these days. :(

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Lately I've found that non-gunslinger engy can be pretty fun to play on the front lines too. I like to use a level 2 since it deploys a lot faster, and drop it in the edge of an area that's being contested. Use the Rescue Ranger so you can fix it up without dying and it can clear off a point fairly well.

The most annoying part is getting blown up on the way there or having to rebuild it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hey let's buy a key and see what happens!

Yeah ok!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

Thexplosions.

Play scout. You will appreciate the mobility, and get to learn a new style of play that compliments pyro and spy pretty well. A heavy focus on getting in close to your enemies while learning the flank routes and making picks, which you can enter transfer into a pyro for team support or a spy for behind-enemy-lines picks and sentry busting.

Scout is a fantastic stepping stone to other classes, I used to be All Soldier All The Time and then played scout for the better part of a summer. After that I played pyro near constantly because it let me be a slow scout with a flamethrower and still practice projectile aiming with a flaregun

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah, not every lesson with Scout translates to other classes but it's surprising how many do. I suddenly understood Demoman a lot better when Scout taught me to pick my battles (because being uniquely in-your-face for his small size makes him especially vulnerable) and my need to flank people taught me to learn where people are on the map at different times, which translates into covering chokes better as a Demo.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Has anyone had an issue where the master server list does not show any servers? Like I tried to follow a tutorial steam support had which was redownload the the two VFT files but that hasn't fixed my issue.

I didn't reinstall or anything, just randomly no servers show up and I have the same filters I always use <100 ping, secure, 24 max players, Valve in the tagline.

I can connect just fine to the random servers I have under my favorites or history, but it would be nice to have a list of servers to choose from, other than just Stars_ pub server and 3 random valve payload servers.

I just want to say also, this thread really makes TF2 sound fun with all the high level play and theorycrafting but I'll be damned if I don't get really frustrated after 30 minutes on a valve server with some pubstompers on the enemy team. It is like, last week with the pyro debate, I really wanted to start trying out the Backburner, only to get literally burned by it, by missing my reflects(low ammo count) and only getting a few "backstabs" with it, in regards to good ambushes.

At least I can still be a decent->good medic and have fun without having to kill thousands of pubs. :qq:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Enigmatica posted:

A friend 'gave' me a server and he's running the plug-ins. Bots are supposed to leave after a certain number of players is reached, I believe it's 12. Then the server becomes eligible for quick play. We only need a few more players if you'd like to help with the testing: 192.210.213.119:27015. Warning, micspam is enabled.

My favorites list these days has been whittled down to a few empty servers and one that's full all the time. I've been thinking about putting together a Seed Team Steam Group with a list of good (but low-activity) servers. Periodically a user could make an event or announcement asking for members to pile onto their favorite dead server for a friendly game, and at the 6+ player mark it'll (hopefully) have enough players online to attract the quickplay crowd and keep the server active for a couple hours.

I don't think it's a perfect plan, but if it works it could be a way to get games with goons going on good servers that are less zany than FNF and less serious than Rutas. Potential drawbacks I can think of are that server selection could get tricky (polls?), the group would probably get spammy with event invites and that care would need to be taken not to compete with events like FNF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Scyron posted:

Has anyone had an issue where the master server list does not show any servers? Like I tried to follow a tutorial steam support had which was redownload the the two VFT files but that hasn't fixed my issue.

That's happened to me before. It'll probably fix itself soon.

• Locked thread