Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Every recent Halloween update has had a comic to go along with it, but this time they started a "monthly" comic and haven't followed through with that. Either they end up being the one and the same and we will see tomorrow, or there's no Halloween comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Euro (and maybe Eastern American) players, a call to arms. We have a goon group who's been playing together in different tournaments for a while, but is now sticking exclusively to Highlander, the 9v9 format where only one class of each may be present (how TF2 should be played, some say) and due to recent changes in the line up it's recruiting time.

Are you tired of playing in pub servers where the concept of team play is nearly non-existant and the maps are always terrible? Would you like to play with friendly people, improve your skills, or just try something different? 'Tis your chance. As per the last post in that thread, ETF2L Highlander is starting (7 weeks event, one match per week) and we are missing a couple of people, join us. We are halfway between casual and tryhard and stuck on the lower divisions, so you don't have to be a mega pro to play with us, just responsible enough not to disappear mid-season.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 25, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Got no crashes, played on one server and got a gift (The Handhunter) but couldn't get the hat at the end. Server changed to another map and I looked for another one, spent 40 minutes in it, saw no further gifts, but managed this time to get to the end and grab the achievement. Yet, got no hat. I assume that either something is broken or you need four of those new achievements to claim the item.

Don't particularly give a crap about the MLP hat, especially if it's Halloween only. On a game that has servers straight up marked as furry zones, the concept of some poor idiots wanting to cosplay as pink ponies just doesn't register.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I continue to have no issues. Even the achievement item came after I restarted TF2. YMMV, but so far I'm pleased with the event.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

How do you complete the spellbook? The game asks me at the start of the round if I want to equip it and I say "Aye", and then go over every little spell on the map, but nothing aside equipping one of them at a time happens like if I just had the magazine equipped.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ah, yeah, the server I was just on had some guys receive spell pages along with other items. The only gifts that spawned to me yet had no spell pages, though. I suppose I'll get them eventually.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This year's halloween items that come from gifts are all marked untradable. I assume this is so people have a bigger reason to uncrate their haunted counterparts.

No idea about the crafting thing, but it's my understanding that recent numbered crafted items are not tradable without a gift wrap.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Screw every heathen with a mini-sentry. Every last one of them. No cool things for you.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This one's really well done.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Just came out of a lobby where a soldier had a golden rocket launcher. It was absurdly bright and distracting, perhaps even more so than an unusual hat. I'm very much disliking these golden and killstreak additions.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

There's something called a TF2 "Heart of Gold" DLC that is showing up on a future Yogscast-themed Humble Bundle at a minimum of $1 donation. I wonder what it is specifically.

vvv oh yeah, that should be it.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 1, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh, man, there goes the value of my Grenade Launcher. :sigh:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I watched a bit. It wasn't the painful way the soldiers were rocket jumping around that got me or how nobody had hats (how could they decide a victor without hats??): it was how everything seemed to be much slower. The scouts especially seemed to be moving and jumping in slow motion. Is it something about less frames per second on the X360 or did the game get a speed bump in some update at some point?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Man, I was just on a lobby with stabby stabby (one of the best spies NA) and STAR_. And also some pyro guy called TMP who's apparently a big deal, too. That doesn't happen every day.

Also, the YER in good hands is too loving scary.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Peanut President posted:

I got my first unusual!

You forgot to mention how many keys you bought to get it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Seems like the new "trolling" thing is for pro players join pubs, go gunslinger + short circuit and make everyone's life as miserable as possible. Seriously, Valve has had weeks to fix this "balance change" -- they aren't going to.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Fairly sure the medic one would get the point across just fine without any description required.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Desperate Character posted:

If the firing rate wasn't changed the only thing different is an engineer won't kill you with it. As long as there's a dispenser near him this really doesn't alter the whole problem :v:

Actually it does. It allows the class they are countering to switch to a weapon that can actually kill those engies instead of them dying horribly from some guy mashing W+M1 as if he was an unkillable pyro. The extra metal loss per hit also means they have to be constantly near a dispenser to actually use the thing and, if that's the case, they aren't sporting a mini sentry and those two together is how (in my opinion) the short circuit was broken -- an engie with a Lv 3 sentry and a short circuit instead of the wrangler is just a liability to his team. Valve could still have tweaked the cone of its attack to be thinner, but I'll take this nerf over no nerf.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

There's good maps for training rocket jumping but most you'll need to locate on the web and install to play locally. For "practicing" Market Gardening, after you get the jumps down, look no further than Hightower.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm currently using an MX518, but it's a bit too light for my tastes.

I've had mine for some years now and, aside the rubbers being completely gone now, it's been the best mouse I've ever had. What do you mean by 'light'? Feels like the right weight.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

They forgot to put the Helltower comic in the comics page. Now I have no idea how to access it. It's weird, because they updated the page with part 2 of the on-going (and part 3 was canceled because apparently Valve only know how to count to two) but didn't put in the comic that came right before it.

vvv thanks! (no idea why you spoilered it, though)

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 9, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

So Math posted:

My whole inventory screen is messed up. All of the text strings are just %itemname% and I can't craft anything. Verifying the cache hasn't helped.

If you haven't been playing in a while, an update back in February broke custom HUDs and that's the result of it. You need to update or remove yours. If you have been playing fine 'til now, then no idea.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I have never heard of that vrservice.exe thing and I'm rather sure it's not related in any way to TF2 or Steam. You may want to update your MSE and run a scan.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's over $40k now. They will do $50k easily.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Comic had some forced moments but otherwise was a fun read. Smokey bear and sexy Sniper were my favorite moments.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 3, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e: I have no problem getting headshots with the huntsman, though. Just click in their general direction and get points.

The "Lucksman" has a huge hitbox. You can nail "headshots" very easily with it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I much prefer this video to showcase the Cuntsman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSPLy7D0Vv0

Even its taunt is broken.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Some items are actually untradable, regardless of gift wrap. There's a list on the wiki.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Jippa posted:

People hate snipers in most of the games I've played.

Everbody hates campers and the badmouthed ones go to hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXl7IyJZwHo

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yup, this is all I wanted. Thank you, Valve.

e: that screenshot looked like rear end. Like this one better.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 16, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

There are American teams of pubs playing in that event. It is not a Euro-only thing.

On the Euro side, though, I wouldn't mind organizing whatever goons would like to join the event if there's enough interest.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

SkySteak posted:

I wonder if the pistol Miss Pauling had will make an appearance.

Pretty sure Scout's makeshift weapon will.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

If only Valve had a way to do beta testing of new weapons and major rebalances before those changes went live in the main game, if only. But alas.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Zero! posted:

I think UGC was the only league actually active during the Stickybomb nerf and the nerf was reverted before the regular Highlander match time for the week, so it only affected a UGC 6s match week and scrims.

Not really. I played our Highlander UGC match on Badwater (Monday, default European time) with both team's demos unable to do much in the way of direct aggression. Heck, we tried the Scottish Resistance on defense just for the hell of it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Out of curiosity, is there a config setting that disables the downloading of player pictures/avatars? I've tried to search for something like that but couldn't find anything.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I completely lost it at the seagull.

Guy has a patreon page now, it seems, so throw in a couple of bucks if you like his stuff including his past Team Service Announcement videos.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's not immediately obvious why they would change the steam ids, at least for me. Surely they had a good reason to do so?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

VDay posted:

Because it was apparently an outdated format?

I can read. I meant nothing was broken by running the old method, so what's the point in changing and possibly causing things to break unnecessarily? It's not like the steampipe update where we actually saw a huge speed boost from those changes -- an actual upgrade. Basically, I was just wondering if anyone knew the technical reasoning behind the change.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I was going to make a joke about Europe being bad at videogames, but Epsilon managed to clutch out a victory after god knows how many golden caps. Well played :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

You could in theory run your own server in Australia, with your rules, your maps, your everything. Good community servers especially when no good alternatives are around tend to last long, but someone has to make the effort for them to materialize.

• Locked thread