Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Man, I sure hope the Halloween update hits tomorrow or whatever! Wanna play on tc_hydro_event really badly!

EDIT: My high five gif is gone. RIP high five gif.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Prenton posted:

Hello. I have not been playing TF2 for very long. Only a matter of weeks, in fact. But I'm fairly sure that having three snipers all lurking on a two-foot-square hillock is not an optimal tactic. How do I discourage said sub-optimal tactics in teammates*?

*apart from calling them loving idiots, the loving idiots

There's a couple of tactics that work, and depending on your skill level, you're free to try and experiment with some or all of them:

- Pick the Pyro, then shoot your flamethrower in front of the sniper. This will block his scope and get mad at you. You may or may not get vote-kicked from a server for doing this!

- Switch teams and pick Demoman, using the Sticky Jumper and Ullapool Caber. Sticky jump towards snipers just outside of their line-of-sight, tag them with the Caber. If you survive, sticky jump back to spawn. Rinse and repeat.

- Switch teams and pick Spy, using the Cloak and Dagger. Stealth your way to the Snipers, disguise yourself as the Scout, then hit the "NICE SHOT!" keybind every time one of them makes a shot. Remain cloaked while you are doing this!

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 24, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I hope the reason for this year's boss battle ends up being the Soldier's fault yet again. He has a good track record on that kind of thing. :allears:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Since we're on the discussion of posting loadout pictures that aren't just against brown backgrounds, here's some of my current ones (seen randomly through the last thread but I still utilize them):

Having a tough time deciding between Peak Scotsman and Peak Bomb Disposal Man. The problem with Bomb Disposal is that I'm not sure what the second misc should be, so I'm using the Cool Breeze for it as a placeholder.

Stop, drop, and roll. I have no idea what to use for a second misc, so the Pyrotechnic Tote is a placeholder until we can achieve Peak Firefighter.

WWI Combat Medic (please use the medi-gun, folks)

Bonk.

Plain ol' Soldier doing Soldier stuff.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

From what I gather, playing Spy well is just a combination of knowing the map really well along with being able to pick and choose when to engage enemies in the most opportune of times. Unfortunately, most of my map sense doesn't help me when playing Spy, because I end up missing the ability to explosive jump.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Sanctum posted:

The black box's current popularity is a bandwagon trend for highlander set when UGC decided to become a real league by lifting their ban on invite players. Vhalin was using black box + gunboats in HL pugs for a long time, but suddenly when he was allowed to play in an official UGC match his loadout went from 'a gimmick that only an invite player can pull off' to 'The New Official and Only Correct Way to Play Soldier in Highlander.'

I think we (collectively as a thread) had this discussion somewhere in the last thread. I believe my argument was that, by using the Black Box and Gunboats, you were essentially trading away deathmatching potential for extra survival while roaming. Having only three shots means you really have to be picky about what fights to engage, you can harass groups of people without having to commit to any long-term fighting, and you could theoretically get anywhere on the map rapidly without showing up battered and beaten.

I played around with the loadout for a while in 5cp pubs, along with using the Pain Train. I could zip from point-to-point like an exploding Scout, tagging stragglers with the Black Box to keep my health up, and that was great. What wasn't great was being unable to take out a threat that I would've been able to handle easily with a stock launcher and shotgun on hand, such as suicide-bombing an enemy medic (two direct rockets is usually enough, but it sure is nice to have that third just in case one explosion only grazed him) or taking out a sentry nest being babied by an Engineer.

I didn't play Highlander much, but I assumed my role as Soldier was to take their Medic with me, and maybe catch their Soldier on the flanks so they didn't do the same to our Medic.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

One of the best maps to see this phenomenon of pubbie players not respecting the sticky launcher is cp_gorge. Go on defense, sticky jump to that high ground over the first point, and see how many players you can annihilate before ANYBODY decides to contest you for that high ground. A lot of them will see those stickies laying on the point and just shrug it off, whatever, not their problem. Hell, you'll probably dominate the same guy over and over again as they aren't sure what to do about you up there, so they just ignore you and hope for the best.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 24, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I just use my strange weapons as a reference to see how often or how efficiently I've used a weapon to kill dudes. I do think it's funny when people call me out for having a strange with "low numbers" because it means I'm obviously a scrub, not like those pro dudes with Hale's Own weapons that got them totally legit without going to an idle server to grind them*!

* they did use an idle server to grind them

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I'd probably end up with a Hale's Own Stickybomb Launcher before anything else. Before I got a strange Original, I would've said the Rocket Launcher could reach it as well, but splitting time between the two weapons put a stop to that. By comparison, the Stickybomb Launcher doesn't have quite as equivalent a sidegrade, which is a shame.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

qnqnx posted:

Now try splitting time between all nine classes. And it didn't help that I didn't play TF2 at all for most of 2012.

Every time I want to play a class that isn't Soldier or Demoman, it just feels weird to me. I love making things explode and flying in the air thanks to explosions. Thanks, explosions.

Thexplosions.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The best strange name is "Fox News-accuracy may vary" for my strange rocket launcher :unsmith:

:smith:

Should've put that on the Minigun, along with the description "Fair and Balanced." :downs:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Did you mike spam "Fire" with that username? Because I would've. Fire rules. I'm also an old baby.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

When they nerfed the Dead Ringer, I assumed they do the same for the Spy-Cicle, but I guess not. I also thought they'd revisit the Pyro's flamethrowers as a whole, rather than just fix what was considered a bug on the Phlog, so it was a bit disappointing when I found out they didn't do anything to them. This isn't a "Degreaser needs a nerf" comment, it's a "Pyro's flamethrowers as a whole, especially stock, aren't that good" one. Not addressing them at all is Valve pretty much saying "flamethrowers are fine right where they are."

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Svdl posted:

Here's something that I think should have been in the game a long time ago. I'm not the first to do it.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=189404294

I love all your history-relevant cosmetic items and will upvote and use them till the end of time (until you make a replacement and I have to choose between them for each class).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Reiley posted:

He actually doesn't have many items that aren't silly Pirate or old Scottish references, the Hurt Locher is the first actual demolitions man misc he's ever gotten.

I really hope he gets another bomb disposal misc to go with it eventually. Same with the Pyro getting another firefighter misc to go with the turnout gear. drat, those two items were so good.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I'm going to make a guess that the next event map will be a Payload Race. Or I would, if people actually cared about Payload Races. (that aren't Hightower (which is a Deathmatch map)).

Soldier is still a lawyer. :allears:

Edit: plr_hightower_event :getin:

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 29, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Balon posted:

The carts are the Mann's corpses? First to dump the other in to hell is the winner?

Judging by the way the comic ends, Payload Race seems to be the most likely scenario. The question is which one it'll be. Hightower seems the most likely just because it's the most popular map of that gametype, but it's also not the kind of map I'd see work for that whole "dump the guy's corpse to hell" thing.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Reiley posted:

FRIGHTFALL - plr_nightfall_event

I'd accept this, if only because I REALLY don't want it to be plr_pipeline_event.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

The comic suggests probably payload race, but what about a boss?

Instead of the cart healing and resupplying your teammates, the ghost of the dead brother will repeatedly slap you.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I hate the quick fix though because it has bird poo poo on it and it drives me goddamn crazy.

How did I never notice the bird poo poo on the Quick Fix? :psyduck:

I need to use it more often.

Looks like the price on a strange Quick Fix locked itself at around 3 ref, a nice little area in-between cheap and Patch Boom.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 29, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

I can think of no other map that would contain a portal to Hell.

ctf_2fort

Oh wait, you said "portal to Hell" and not just Hell.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I haven't played the game much in the past two weeks, but somehow my mouse settings got all jacked up. Not sure if it was the recent patch or what. Had to play on jump_beef and tr_walkway for a while before I could fix them. I don't remember the mouse tab having so many options.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Think of all the Lieutenant Bites The Dusts I could buy with that dumb pony hat. :allears:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

gnome7 posted:

It seems to be Not Marketable and Not Tradeable. If there are other ways to sell this thing I do not know about I would love to learn about them.

I just got some Pyro head replacement and it is also untradeable, unmarketable, and uncraftable. I guess that makes sense considering what happened last year.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Man, the market is getting flooded with inexpensive haunted items. I haven't even bothered looking at what folks on trading sites what for them. I can probably all the stuff I want extremely cheap at this rate.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Roger Explosion posted:

I crafted a Big Chief but it doesn't have a craft number on it. Is that normal?

After 100 of a hat gets crafted, I believe, they just stop displaying craft numbers.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Alright, now it doesn't sound completely out of place when I'm running around W+M1ing shooting people in the back with my shotgun.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Is it just me, or is there a sudden influx of Snipers that have pocket Medics attached to them? I've run across at least three or four random servers with this phenomenon, and I usually just flush them out with a few grenades/stickies.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Section Z posted:

It's not just you, though I have no idea WHY this seems to suddenly be A Thing. Maybe that youtube celebrity some Goon mentioned on here with their own little squad of bodyguards was heard about and they are trying to get in on that?

Maybe there's some super secret Hightower/Helltower strat involved with snipers having pocket medics. And then hanging out in the exact same sniping positions. That are prone to explosions.

I mean, often time they're topping the scoreboards and nobody on the other team is opposing them except me I guess, so maybe I'm the only person on these servers that discovered the hard-counter to this unbeatable combo (hint: the hard-counter is explosives).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Does this mean they got rid of the "attack3" command?

But yeah, having the switching bound to reload is great since it wasn't doing anything on the mediguns anyway. You could probably apply this for any future flamethrower or minigun or whatever weapon that can't reload to get a different effect (provided they ever make a new weapon I suppose).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Amongst all the Pyro head replacements added in, I managed to get a hold of a Rugged Respirator. Am I missing something? Is there a reason this is Halloween-restricted? If it's a reference to something, then I don't get it, but it doesn't strike me as a very Halloween-ish misc.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Did they not give the Gibus another style this year?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I love that hat like a goddamn brother its just I knew I could never take the pain of only being able to wear it on halloween.

You can still wear it once a month on the full moon. It's like, you just play regular games during the month, whatever, and then all of a sudden, BOOM! You're a cardboard robot that rocket jumps.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Zero! posted:

Tried my luck with a few crates and got a Haunted Magical Mercenary which, judging by market prices, will let me just about break even. Thanks bronies, I guess!

Trade it for your new best friend, the scary hat.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

PDP-1 posted:

Yeah, some of the items are very Halloween-ish but a lot of them wouldn't be out of place for TF2 during normal times. I'm usually down for a :10bux: when they do a holiday event because I genuinely appreciate all of the effort Valve and the item creators put into this game but this seems like a bad deal. Halloween-only for gifts and Haunted for crated items would have been a lot better.

Not that I'm complaining about my new Larval Lid. That guy is a Real American!

The ones I've gotten that don't seem out of place if they were year-round are the Rugged Respirator and the Dark Helm. The former seems pretty tame compared to all the various Pyro head replacements that are already out there, and the latter is just a helmet with horns, and there are already a couple of medieval helmets running around. I'm also not a fan of this Headtaker's Hood I got, which is strange considering I don't really dislike any Demoman stuff in general.

Need to get me a Larval Lid. I managed to get a Haunted Lieutenant Bites The Dust really cheap, so I'm hoping the rest of these items just crater in price in a week.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Is the shortstop worthwhile? I've been getting pretty into the scout recently and stock seems to be flat out the best, apart from the force-a-nature which is good at instakilling weaker classes. But the shortstop looks fuckin' rad so I'm hoping its secretly great.

My brother used to play with it a lot, back before they nerfed its reload speed. He thinks it's garbage now, but then again, he can't use the stock Scattergun worth a crap. Now he pretty much just plays Spy to snipe across the map with the Ambassador. I don't get it.

I haven't played around with the Shortstop enough to have an opinion about it. I like using the stock pistol, and it shares the same ammo reserve, so I end up not using it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The Natascha serves a pretty decent role as crowd control for MvM. Get a point or two in penetration, and fire down a chokepoint. Now your Demoman and Soldier can just bomb the poo poo out of everything.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Mustache Villainy posted:

I always wonder why they don't play with weapon reskins more, just to add another layer to playing dress up Mannes. There's a lot of neat looking weapons on the workshop or in game already, that I will never touch just because the playstyle attached isn't one I enjoy. Maybe it's an identification issue, but knowing what weapon they're using usually doesn't change my gameplan too much. Most of the time I can't even see what they're using mid-combat, so usually I rely on sound and particle effects to identify things.

I want to say it is an identification issue like you mentioned. With hats and misc, the silhouette of the class is still identifiable for the most part. Weapons, on the other hand, take so many different designs across one another that it's not as easy to recognize at a glance, let alone if there are many reskins of the same weapon. That's probably why most of the recent reskins have been for stock melee.

As for the subject of getting bored with TF2, I have 1311 hours in the game according to Steam. The best thing about the game is that I can pretty much just leave it and re-join it whenever I want and not feel completely lost. I've quit and re-joined WoW a few times back in the day, and each time I did, stuff would change so much that I'd have no idea how to even play my old character anymore, and eventually I just quit completely a few months after Cataclysm (despite wanting to play as a Goblin for so many years). TF2, on the other hand, still play more or less like an arena shooter ala Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament, just not as super twitchy and high speed.

I'm getting older, and my reflexes at 30 are not as good as they were when I was 16, but I can still do well enough at the pubbie level to enjoy myself. While I enjoy watching some of the competitive stuff with TF2, I don't have an interest in participating myself due to my limitations, and I really don't have the time to invest in trying to overcome them. It doesn't help that I've been a dumb retro gaming collector dude as far back as I can remember and play whatever games interest me at the moment (I was playing Legend of the Mystical Ninja last Sunday on my SNES, and lately I've been chipping away at Beneath A Steel Sky). But whenever I feel like shooting dudes in dumb hats and rocket jumping all over the place, I can always go back to TF2 since it's community is still active and I don't have to spend any more money to enjoy myself (though sometimes I still spend money).

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 1, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Looks like it's finally over! MEET THE PYRO Medic in Shellnut just got released!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJhadXmQ0bY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Is it just me, or do none of the Voodoo Cursed Souls show up on replays?

In any case, at least I got my alternate non-cardboard box robot Soldier costume set up the way I like.

• Locked thread