Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Saoshyant posted:

Every recent Halloween update has had a comic to go along with it, but this time they started a "monthly" comic and haven't followed through with that. Either they end up being the one and the same and we will see tomorrow, or there's no Halloween comic.

They said it was going to be bi-monthly, so if it comes out with the Halloween update that'll be right on time.

e: f,b

So if they added the Samson Wig from the Skullgirls collection you could pair it with a painted Tutu and have maid Heavy.

CoolCab posted:

To any new players that might be reading this as it's early in the thread: if you want to win, play Medic (you want to win). If there's a Medic, play Demoman. If you're struggling with Demoman, use the stickylauncher exclusively since you can land ridiculous kills with it without needing much twitch skills (it gets better the worse the players you're facing are, exploit this), and as you do so, practice landing grenades, it's not as hard as it seems.

To echo this, playing Medic in a normal pub game can easily turn the tide of battle, not just because you provide healing but because you can indirectly control the team. It might take them a few deaths, but eventually people will start hanging around you and sticking close so you get to choose the attack routes.

Playing Engie can have the same effect, teleporters will directly put people where you want and they'll run back to your sentry-protected dispenser safe haven, especially on A/D maps.

Tollymain posted:

Relinking this from the last thread, it's seriously way too amazing to forget so fast :allears: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=187931667&searchtext=

Well, if it doesn't become a hat, maybe we'll finally get the 100 ft tall mecha-Engineer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

McPhock posted:

"Urine my sights" takes the (urinal) cake.

You could also add a description along the lines of "So accurate I leave the seat down" or something.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I do love popping a kritz uber on a Soldier using the Bazooka. Kritzooka is perfect for wiping out whatever's coming down a chokepoint. Ideally you'll have someone else to share the charge with so it's used effectively, but if I see a Soldier playing well I'll turn him into a gibbing machine.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Fiend Computer posted:

Oh yeah because people have been posting their favorite loadouts the last couple of pages.

I made sure to make my soldier dress up as close as possible to a Minnesotan during winter.

It'd be great if you could somehow throw the police badge on this.

Then have Soldier stumble across Heavy feeding Scout into a wood chipper.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Jose Mengelez posted:

It's almost as if stat tracking weapons are basically worthless.

I'm proud to say I don't own a single strange. And I really wish you could get non-strange Botkillers.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Spacedad posted:

Pubbie Crawl - A midweek or end-week event involving pubbie servers, gimmicking, and booze. (Or caffeine if you don't drink.) Basically, moving from pubbie server to server acting like goofballs. Possibly might limit this to once a month.

Heck, let's make it a drinking game! Teleporter facing the wall? Take a shot. Uber a Demoman and he pulls out his melee? Finsih your drink.

Spacedad posted:

Attack on heavy - A single massively health-boosted size-boosted melee heavy weapons guy versus a team of 29 players. (Or a few of them.) The only weapons usable are rocket jumpers and market gardeners with mantreads. (This would involve server modding and playtesting to get right.)

Could this be done by setting up some kind of custom MvM thing? One of those giant supercharged Heavies seems to be just the thing (though with Melee). If not, maybe some kind of permenant Quick-Fix uber with a health increase?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Spacedad posted:

If an enterprising map editor wants to step up to the plate and make a suitable map for this, that would own.

While they're at it they should reskin Sandviches to be Soldiers.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Keys cost about twice as much in Imaginary Useless TF2 Metal, but they're still the same in real-world dollars. It's not that the value of keys has doubled, it's the value of metal (and therefore weapons and craft hats) which has halved.

I was about to post this. "Real-world" money is also a bit of a misnomer, because Steam Wallet money is worth less than Paypal money. What's odd is that keys have stayed the same price at the Mann Co. store through everything. I'd like to see what happens if they raised or drop the price.

The Hatconomy is a wonderful way to learn how economics works. It's fun watching how developments like store hats being craftable affects market prices.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I really want HHHH to be available year-round now.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Slime posted:

But sometimes, sometimes you run into some guys who know how to use a medic. They look after you, and are constantly checking around for threats to their medic buddy. Those times make playing medic so worth it.

I usually look for a few things for primary heal targets. Fancy hats, scoreboard toppers, stock (or close to stock) Demomen, banner Soldiers, Pyros who extinguish you, and Heavies who throw Sandviches.

My best experience was when I found a Buff Banner Soldier who timed his banner with my ubercharge while we were playing defense on stage 3 Dustbowl. We pushed through and took out most if not all of the offensive team.

Then we did it AGAIN when they respawned.

He sent me a friend request when the match was over. :3:

LogisticEarth posted:

Is the overdose really worth it for the speed boost? Only 10% at full charge means most if the time it does nearly nothing. Unless I'm missing something.

It really is IMO. Only a 10% loss in damage from your primary is pretty minor compared to, say, an 8% speed boost when you've got an 80% ubercharge you don't want to lose and need to find some cover or teammates.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

LogisticEarth posted:

I guess that makes sense. For some reason I had it in my head that the boost only was in effect when the primary was out. I need to play medic more but Jesus is it an uphill battle in pubs.

You weren't wrong. But if there's nobody else around, you shouldn't have anything but your primary out, trying to regroup and firing at anything and everything, because the entire other team is likely on their way to try and kill you.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I got a unicorn hat. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It'd be very fitting if it was Pyroland item, what with Balloonicorn and all, and it does suit the Pyro, but... yeah. It's already been said.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can spawn Monoculus. You can spawn a second Monoculus. You and the enemy can each spawn one and they will fight.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I dunno, I put three pages in mine and it says I have two of one kind of thing and one of another kind of thing :confused: so I'm going to wait until someone deciphers it before I do anything else.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

All you get for the Manntastic Four achievement is an extra spellbook page :(

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

So far I've collected 9 pages and added them to my spellbook. Which is now a Fancy Spellbook.

It now has the description:

Pages of Tumidum: 1
Pages of Gratanter: 2
Pages of Audere: 6

I researched them and translated them from latin, tumidum is "swelling", gratanter is "rejoicing", and audere is "daring"

...so I have no idea what any of it actually means :downs:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Jewel posted:

Scout's haunted hat voice lines are finally up somewhere!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPkyGPAMz6E

:allears:

We did it Scary Hat! We did it because we're best friends. :glomp:

Scout knows the proper amount of love one should have for hats.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Solumin posted:

How do you get the scary ghost hat? I figured it's achievement related, but I'm not sure which one.

I really love the spells and the witching hour. Really, this is a great twist on normal Hightower play.

Uncrate it, purchase it, get it in a gift.

The best option would be uncrating, as then you get a Haunted Haunted Hat.

Doji Sekushi posted:

I'm really surprised some freak hasn't yet filled up the spellbook (assuming it can be filled).

Maybe it'll just become fancier or become a strange.

I've got eleven pages in mine. No changes yet.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Mustache Villainy posted:

I always wonder why they don't play with weapon reskins more, just to add another layer to playing dress up Mannes.

Two things I think they're really missing are stock shotgun reskins and a Festive most-class melee weapon. Right now the only class that can do a full-on festive loadout is Heavy.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Spacedad posted:

Valve definitely doesn't use mocap for TF2 or its various trailers and shortfilms for it.

and here I was enjoying picturing actors in mocap suits eating sandwiches and taking hits from a kritzkrieg.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

pisshead posted:

I've just been looking through the achievements list and there are a few I have no idea how to achieve:

Here's the wiki guide

pisshead posted:

How do I stay on the tower to earn the 'Hell of Wheels' achievement? I've been knocked off and killed hundreds of times and only capped it once.

Join an empty server and just ride the cart 10 times. :effort:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Does anybody know if you can wear the Bozo's Bouffant (Pyro Halloween clown hair) and Nose Candy together?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I like running into other players to pass the bomb onto them.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I was able to. I think. They did update stuff since last year.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

UglyDucklett posted:

I blow the bomb on merasmus then decimate the enemy team immediately.

:what: You can do this?

I checked it out, you definitely can pass the bomb on. It just has to be flashing at the time. You become invulnerable, but you're still "dizzy" for a while, but you get to watch someone else try and deliver a bomb that's about to go off.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

That's it, I'm buying a pony hat.

Not for four loving euros I'm not. :stare:

Oh, is the sale not international? That kinda sucks. It's only 2.49 USD You can still trade for one?

Edit: wow, Huanted ones are going for ~2 keys on TF2 Warehouse.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 5, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

xzzy posted:

You mean reskins of stock weapons, right?

Introducing new MYSTERIOUS weapons, with purple text. And unusual effects.

Irregular weapons. Weapons with defects that make them shoot sparks or have weird coloured projectiles or something.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Spacedad posted:

Tonight's funhavers gimmick is pretty much going to just be 'open gimmick of choice' plus 'alter the way you control the game somehow.'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqXmBy1_qOQ

I should really get around to setting it up so I can play TF2 with a Wii controller.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The Kins posted:

Hah, the new patch stealthily added some new lines for Merasmus that acknowledge you're just using Eternaween instead of it actually being Halloween. :v:

Merasmus posted:

"Welcome to T-G-I-Halloween, where it's always Halloween! I'm Merasmus, your server! We have a couple of lovely specials tonight: ONE OF THEM IS YOUR OWN DEATH! The other is loaded tuscan flatbread."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

There have been people who have been collecting particular items for no reason, or to to craft them into a random hat, so I guess it rewards them.

If they ever come out with one that requires crates, I'll be set.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Since Halloween is over, it's time to prep for Christams! I've got my Pyro decked out in Prancer's Pride, Nose Candy (Happy style) and Jingle Belt. Festive Flamethrower and Axtinguisher are in hand, now they just need to release a Festive Shotgun or Flare Gun.

It occurred to me today that you could run a highlander team with eight reindeer and either Santa or Rudolph. Call it "Santa's Slay Team"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Can you add Strange Filters to Medi-guns? I want to get myself a Canadian one.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Oneiros posted:

I think I'd watch an entire series of shorts about the pocket mercenaries.

Toy Fortress 2

And yeah, that's a great short.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Dr. Dos posted:

It also combos well with the crossbow's passive reloading. You can fire a shot, and pull out extra healing until you're able to fire again.

With all that regen will a medic even take afterburn from a pyro if they have the amputator out?

It also returns the healing to normal if you're using the Blutsauger

I don't think you'll take afterburn damage, no. The old +1 per second to the regen with the set bonus meant you took no degreaser damage.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

And people laughed at me for holding on to some scorched, fall, and eerie crates :smug:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Wow, I figured the Unusual slider would be to turn them down from default on some of the newer effects, but it's the opposite. I just cranked my bubbling Cannonball up to maximum bubbling :3

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

CraigK posted:

Was that me? Stupid phlog works well in other modes.

Airblast is invaluable in the easier maps, you can reset the bomb all the way to the beginning. I'll go pyro if I join a server and another one is using the phlog.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It's the Railspikes that really make it work.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

el burbo posted:

So I guess golden frying pans are rare enough to announce to everyone when someone finds one.

So... how do you get one? Saxxy nomination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Demoman in MvM is just kind of vanilla right now. He doesn't really get new abilities unless you're running Demoknight. Most other classes get something special, like Scouts money collection, Medic's shield, Soldier's got the ability to stun now which is really useful against the big robots. Hopefully the next MvM update will give him something like increased knockback or ability to ignite enemies.

• Locked thread