Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

With Spelunky, you are never learning a 'piece' of music... It's still a game about repetition and learning, but what you are learning is the overall composition, understanding the overall system and how it works, and becoming fluent in that. [...] Spelunky looks like a game of execution, but it's really a game about information and decision-making. How good are you at looking at a situation and understanding what it means? You can't memorize, and you can't take time to carefully analyse, you must rely on your literacy of the system, and this is a kind of holistic knowledge that feels great in my brain, a wonderful new flavor for a single-player game, and a deeply promising direction for further exploration. - A IGF Judge

Not to say anything against the game itself, but did this guy not even know about Rogue-likes or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Do the Mario: don't kill anything except by jumping on it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Actually, that's a jaguar hat, not a tiger. It's a reference to Aztec warriors who would wear jaguar pelts as a status symbol.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Jenner posted:

Man those trapped blocks in front of the goblet of money that you stop on post final boss made me think this alternate ending involved Yang dropping you into the lava under you and keeping the treasure for himself.

I'm almost disappointed that didn't happen.

I was almost certain he'd betray the player after the line "You know what I've learned from being down here so long?"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm gonna bring up the idea I proposed earlier: Do the Mario: slay no enemies except by jumping upon them. Spiked shoes are optional, but probably a good idea. This includes enemies you can't kill by jumping upon them, but not Olmec, because you're merely leading him into killing himself.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Sorites posted:

Playing this challenge alongside my "no mobility items" idea would be terrible intriguing.

I think Mario would approve of the cape, at least.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Zebrin posted:

In the mines you would have to crush them with those pushable blocks, In the jungle there are the man eating plants, Caves you can just throw them into the abyss, temple has lava and those thwomp thingies. Worm might be hard, but you could probably telefrag in the regrow able areas. Hell has lava. Aside from that, the whole point of the challenge is to destroy the bodies as fast as possible. That means yes, Kali is an option.

I don't think the worm is a problem since you need a *sel to even get in.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Hey, I got one. Stop me if you've heard this before:

I built these for a REASON, dammit!: use each shortcut to defeat Olmec.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I guess the best way to avoid terrible net code is to not have any to begin with.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Guess we won't have to ask for a separate "zero special items" run, either.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

You are aware that he's not doing live commentary, and that there are serious logistical issues with doing so for a roguelike when one is trying to record a successful run, yes?

Still, nothing stopping him from monologuing in post.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Sorites posted:

Someone should make that their avatar. Possibly with the caption "And up. And up."

"Newton's third law wants you dead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Pyradox posted:

If Psych's going to be bringing something to hell it might as well be the plasma cannon because then he can level the city of gold.

That'd also be a pretty good challenge since he apparently can't avoid killing himself with it before even reaching the temple.

• Locked thread