Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Not to say anything against the game itself, but did this guy not even know about Rogue-likes or what?

Practically no games journalist in the universe actually knows anything about roguelikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Yep. Lots of treasure in the two chests in there, though.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Do the shopkeepers really never let you go?

Yep; the whole rest of the game.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Lutukor posted:

Oh man, what a terrible way to die. Those are by far the worst enemies in the game for me. If you had over 10 hit points you could survive your own bomb explosion, but it looks like your body got crushed a split second before the bomb got set off.

I don't think it got him first: after the first bomb explodes you can see the body, which I don't think would be there if he got crushed.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

MonotoneMorgan posted:

Also, this would force doing Hell as you can't get out of the pit generated by Olmec

Or it forces him to suicide at the end of the Olmec fight because any one of the steps on the way to getting to Hell could necessitate him going upwards and stop the whole run. I'm also not sure what you expect to happen at the final boss fight if he can't go upwards.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Shady Amish Terror posted:

You wouldn't believe how many times I've been gibbed point-blank by an angry shopkeeper after I set something down on their toe while trying to buy something.

Well that's just your own fault for ever taking anything into a shop when you weren't planning to rob it.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
In the castle, you start at the top of the level and are supposed to go down to the bottom where there's an open door, then climb up inside and get everything. But you can also just bomb your way in at the top, pick up the new character/hired help and make your way down to the exit.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

McDragon posted:

Well done, that looked really difficult. The ending was great too. I think that was the best Tales from Another Life so far as well.

Now do Hell with a ball and chain. :v: Is that even possible? To even get there?

Key, chest, Udjat Eye, money, black market, ankh, dea-doesn't death get rid of the ball and chain? That might ruin things.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Gabriel Pope posted:

You could still do Hell with a ball and chain, you'd just have to blow up your 2nd altar after acquiring the Hedjet.

Which isn't much of a ball and chain run at that point.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I think what they're talking about is dying in such a way that there's no body left behind; maybe letting the ghost do you in would work as well.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Boxturret posted:

I guess getting a monkey to make you drop money doesn't really work?

You guess right: you can't pick up any gold to begin with.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Banemaster posted:

^^^:

And then you make a stupid mistake and get crushed by Olmec.

Raises the point: if spikes do 99 damage and the ghost does 99 damage (though you can't get away from that one), would getting crushed also do 99 damage? If that was the case, and if you'd gotten over 99 points of health from mummy farming, what do you think would happen?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Have we seen what happens if you have the ball and chain and your parachute activates?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I think touching the boulder while it's moving (or moving faster than a certain speed) will kill you; or maybe knock you off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Boxturret posted:

I though there was, that's why you couldn't finish the Kali ghost run?

The Kali ghost can spawn, but the timer ghost doesn't. Speaking of which, didn't the patch that added the speedrun HUD and the slothsel also make it possible to get the Kali ghost and still beat Olmec?

• Locked thread