Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Great OP, except Sammy Watkins plays for Clemson, not Syracuse :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I think AJ McCarron would be good for a team like the Browns. He's very stable, makes good decisions, won't blow you out of the water but can get things done.

Also Colt Lyerla got busted for coke so expect his stock to take a tumble.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I think Jace Amaro is going to be the best TE from this draft.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Logan Thomas' arm isn't credible enough for that offense. Accuracy on short routes to keep teams from stacking the box is more important than being able to heave it downfield (which is nice but not as necessary), as is the ability to get the ball out quickly. I'd say the Eagles are more likely to take whichever of Boyd or Manziel drops to them in the second if they're going to hold out for a defensive guy in the first.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Grozz Nuy posted:

Carr's putting up pretty excellent numbers for Fresno State this year and reports on him from an attitude/work ethic perspective seem universally positive, but there will be LoC questions and I haven't watched any of their games this year so I couldn't make an accurate scouting report on him at all from a physical perspective.

I'm so fascinated to see what happens with Manziel. To me he just looks like a disaster waiting to happen at the pro level with how often he walks the razor's edge on every busted play. Somehow he comes out smelling like a rose more often than not at A&M but with the massive jump in athleticism on defense in the NFL I just don't buy that it will translate. And that's without even getting into the off-field poo poo.

Manziel makes his bones off of throwing jump balls to Mike Evans when he's in trouble, so as long as you have a big, physical wide receiver who can muscle players out of the way ala Anquan Boldin there's no reason he can't find some degree of success. I'd really be interested to see how his game would look if he had, say, Calvin Johnson or Vernon Davis to throw to.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

bewbies posted:

You know, I even wrote that up while watching the Clemson game last weekend. Derp

To be fair they played each other and they both wear orange.

troofs posted:

How do you pronounce that? I hope it's "luh-Shay Sea-strunk".

As somebody who is only qualified to judge prospects based on their names, I gotta say, we've got some real good ones this year.

It's pronounced like Lake. That may be better or worse depending on your predilection for water-based puns (he also used to play for the Ducks).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

bewbies posted:

Just saw that Mcshay now has Mariota ahead of Bridgewater at the #2 spot. Interesting...

Mariota's got better physical tools even if he doesn't have the mechanics down and plays in a much tougher conference than Bridgewater. I think Bridgewater's going to look way better at the combine and stay ahead of Mariota for good but I can understand why McShay might waffle.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

That's what ticks me off about this years draft. It looks extremely deep but guys like Bridgewater can easily go back if they get ruminations that Mariota might go ahead of them.

Which is silly because the way that the way that draft slotting works is you're not going to miss much from going from the #1 pick to the #4 pick (assuming a team doesn't just panic and trade up to #2).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Brannock posted:

I've always been skeptical of those players who are like "well he doesn't really have a real position, but holy poo poo he sure is an athlete." When was the last prospect like that to actually pan out as a NFL player?

Percy Harvin although that was less "he doesn't have a real position" and more "he's stuck between two positions". If you can do something (run real fast, catch, block, whatever) then you can carve a place out for yourself even if you don't fit into the traditional WR/TE/RB/QB/OL mold.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Goetta posted:

Randall Cobb probably fell into the 'Athlete' category as well if I am remembering his Kentucky career correctly

quote:

Cobb played collegiately at the University of Kentucky. During his freshman year was named to the SEC All-Freshmen team at Quarterback playing in 11 games and starting 4 at quarterback. He scored 2 throwing, 2 receiving, and 7 rushing touchdowns during his freshman year.

In his sophomore season, he played mainly at the wide receiver position but, also played a significant role in the offense/special teams returning kicks, place kick holding, receiving, and also performing the quarterback role in the "Wildcat" formation, and scored 4 receiving, 1 returning, and 10 rushing touchdowns during the 2009 season.

He also caught, passed for, and rushed for a touchdown in the same game. That said I think he was projected to play wide receiver in the pros pretty early on.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Just look at it as two second rounders to stabilize the offense. don't focus on the how or why or who

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Mmm I have bad news for every QB prospect to ever declare then; that poo poo doesn't end until your name is called on draft day. Remember the debate of whether Indy should take RG3 instead of Luck? Even with the generational talent, there's intentional clouding.

Scouts are trying to pick apart Clowney right now until there's nothing left, questioning his toughness and his effort level and his 'motor'. But he's still going to be the #1 pick unless something crazy happens.

"Perception" means where he's supposed to go; if he's not supposed to go high then he won't declare.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

Weren't people souring on Barkley before he actually declared, or is that my imagination?

He played very inconsistently after coming back and he ended up getting injured.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

commy gun posted:

Get ready for a billion comparisons of Manziel to Russell Wilson y'all.

Analysts don't make lazy cross-race comparisons, they only make lazy intra-race comparisons. Although he is a lot more like Doug Flutie than Russell Wilson.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

fariz posted:

I'd be completely shocked if Mariota entered the draft, but then again I thought the same thing about Daron Thomas (idiot)

You know Mariota has a first round grade from almost every "professional" scout and will probably get the same from the NFL Draft Advisory Board, right?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

vaginal culture posted:

I think Keith Price is an NFL prospect, I watch every Ducks game and he seems more NFL ready than Mariota (who is really inaccurate).

I was surprised Price wasn't on Bewbies list. I'm thinking he's a 3rd or 4th round pick at least.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Zach Mettenberger is all arm, no brain. If you want that I'm sure you could offer up a conditional seventh for Tyler Bray.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Lumping Stafford and Dalton together is nuts. One has NFL tools and one doesn't.

Both have been successful at the NFL level though. How can you say one has NFL tools and one doesn't?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ungratek posted:

It was an impressive workout

Dude threw through the uprights from midfield. From his knees. Toolssss

You can't teach arm. I mean you can but it takes a while

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lazerbeam posted:

Who's that?

I think that's Wilfork.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

WampaLord posted:

As a Bucs fan, what gets to be my "Suck for Luck" mantra to repeat as the season goes on?

Be Bad for Bridgewater?

Mess Up for Mariota?

Choke for Clowney?

Fire Schiano

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Disillusionist posted:

If he pans out, and if he doesn't get injured.

This is the caveat for literally every draft pick in the history of ever.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Disillusionist posted:

And? Assuming that one rookie player, regardless of how good he is, is going to transform your defense is premature for precisely that reason.

People overemphasize the impact of rookies. Very few rookies actually significantly change a team's performance, even first rounders. I'm not saying Clowney would be a bad pick, but it's doubtful that he alone changes a team's fortunes from Day 1.

Very few players do, though. Andrew Luck and RG3 seem to be two examples of things changing overnight but in a lot of cases the first quarterback taken doesn't fix everything, unless they're a generational prospect. Clowney is that generational prospect.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Here are some dumb bold QB predictions:

+ careers: Bridgewater, Mariota, Hundley, Manziel, Mathews, Price, Mannion, Keeton

- careers: Boyd, McCarron, Murray, Morris, Mettenberger, Fales, Nova, Renner, Carr

Logan Thomas will be converted to TE, Braxton Miller will be converted to WR

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

I'm going off of the rating system that Bewbies has for terminology which I think is a pretty accurate assessment. Clowney will suffer from the same problems Williams did coming into the league, mainly

I'm actually interested in my own statement because I'm not quite positive if posting history would back it up. I would like to start doing write ups like bewbies if people don't mind text walls.

You should do it, there's no point to having a draft thread if Bewbies is the only one who's going to contribute.

Daltos posted:

Also gently caress it, I got all day and nothing to do so here's some pros and cons of the top QBs with highlights.

Andrew Luck, Stanford
Pros:
Very strong arm, on rival with some top NFL QBs.
Pinpoint accuracy.
Runs a pro style offense.
Very mobile and sees blocks and holes like a RB does.
Knows when to stay in the pocket and when to scramble.
Quick release.
Very textbook throwing motion, sets his feet well and bends his knees correctly according to the throw he wants to make.
Great decision making.
Very tall and built, also very durable.

Cons:
Leads his receivers a bit too much which sometimes stops some more YAC.
Forces throws because he thinks he can make any throw, might have to fix that for the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ-a-N9Y5mc

Matt Barkley, USC
Pros:

Pinpoint accuracy.
Amazing decision making on par with Luck.
Very calm in the pocket, stays in and makes the throw.
Can move a bit, makes his play actions stronger.
Runs a pro style offense.

Cons:
Has happy feet, sometimes dances instead of setting and throwing.
Arm is a bit weak and this comes from his happy feet. Could probably throw it farther and harder but he's more about his accuracy at this stage in his career.
Bit of a slow release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTmKA-AiFUc

Landry Jones, Oklahoma
Pros:
One of the best arms in the draft, absolute cannon.
Sets and throws in a very similar fashion to Luck. NFL style motion.
Actually decently fast. Scrambles well and avoids sacks.
Can be very accurate if given time.
Very good chemistry with his receivers and it shows.

Cons:
Not as accurate under pressure.
Plays in a spread offense.
Sometimes gets happy feet.
Forces throws similar to Luck.
I'm not sure if he can scramble as well under center, I haven't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q_w0LJNm3E

Nick Foles, Arizona
Pros:
Massive QB. Looks and plays very similar to Blaine Gabbert.
Has surprising touch and accuracy for a guy this big. Knows when to float in passes instead of rifling it every down like other big QBs.
Extremely quick release.
Good arm strength.

Cons:
Underthrows his WRs, a lot.
Not very mobile.
All his snaps come out of shotgun.
Makes a lot of bad decisions when reading the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhaehG4uWoY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC8nkLB3QnI

Kirk Cousins, Michigan State
Pros:
Pretty good arm strength even though he looks tiny.
Extremely quick release.
Very good accuracy.
Can scramble well.
Reads defenses presnap well and makes adjustments on the fly.

Cons:
Tiny, gets hurt all the fuckin time.
Can't survive a pass rush, although I think it's fixable.
Can't make throws under pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9rAeq_Y9vk

Ryan Lindley, San Diego State
Pros:
Huge arm, coaches at SDSU noticeably take advantage of it by having WRs just run down field on every play and knowing Lindley can get it to them.
Pretty good accuracy on deep and middle routes.
Good footwork on drop backs.
Sort of mobile.
Makes his team look way better than they are, would probably be getting Luck treatment if SDSU was more successful last year.

Cons:
No accuracy in the short game at all.
Really bad decision making.
Terrible mechanics when under pressure.
Throws the ball no matter what which kinda hurts SDSU as much as it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvrt-CiUE0Q

in response to a question someone had about rg3 posted:

I haven't watched him yet this year so I'm going only off of the highlights I see on youtube.

Robert Griffin III, Baylor
Pros:
Probably the fastest real QB ever. That's to say that he can actually play QB and isn't a trackstar that they put at the position.
Plays very similar to Michael Vick and will draw comparisons no matter how much everybody hates comparing black QBs to other black QBs.
Very quick release.
Very strong arm.
Surprisingly accurate.
Incredibly athletic. Can break tackles, hit gaps and make cuts like a WR/RB combo.

Cons:
Doesn't have the greatest touch or accuracy on short and intermediate routes.
Might not do that well in a real NFL offense, will definitely suffer similarly to Vick when teams gameplan around him.
Makes bad decisions when he can't run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO3Q...feature=related (for his running and deep ball skills)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xURP...feature=related (for his complete game, sorry about the weird russian commentary in the background)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Alouicious posted:

Am I missing some kind of running gag when people say Manziel is like 175-180 lbs because he's listed at 210.

You can list him at whatever you want, he looks very very tiny out there.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Lol. Just stumbled across some footage of 6'5, 228, 4.6 40, high school, Jamarcus Russell. Crazy that he had great NFL size at 17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKeNRbSLLlI

He's about as fleet of foot as Aaron Rodgers when he's at playing weight, he's just never at playing weight.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

In the interest of stimulating conversation, who do you all see as a player who has the makings of a first ballot HoFer? Obviously a ridiculously speculative question but outlandish assumptions are part of the fun of draft talk. So come who's your favorite of the bunch and why are you so biased towards him?

For sake of variety lets only have one person cover Clowney.

No one, really. There isn't anyone that jumps out. Besides JaDeveon, Anthony Barr, Louis Nix, Marqise Lee, and Austin Seferian-Jenkins look like pretty amazing prospects, and probably one of the quarterbacks in this class will do really well just because there are so drat many. I'll tell you a bit about Seferian-Jenkins since individual draft profiles seem to be what you're after.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins (Washington)

TE, 6'6, 266 lbs.

Pros: Excellent route-runner, great hands, shows great potential as a blocker, extremely fast for size, basketball playing tight end which everyone loves, good body control

Cons: Busted for DUI. 2013 stats are underwhelming.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

euphronius posted:

Why don't you ever see TEs taller than about 6-5 or 6-6. Do they make them tackles if they are even taller? (Or power forwards.)

Past 6'6 they start to lose the ability to block due to leverage. Also because finding people 1.) that tall, who are 2.) coordinated enough to play professional sports, and 3.) fast enough to line up as a receiver while also 4.) being able to catch AND block but 5.) aren't strong enough to just straight up play on the line is very, very difficult.

E: Also the NBA I guess but being 6'7 and athletic with no other skills makes you Joe Alexander which is no way to make a living.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

It was just a really terrible combination of player personality and franchise.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Emanuel Collective posted:

man you are really fired up about blowout Orange Bowl win over a team that fluked into the game due to a technicality

Not really, there are specific provisions for sending non-BCS teams to BCS bowls, and NIU was probably one of the best mid-majors in the country. That said, FSU was way overqualified for the Orange Bowl but NC State will do that to you

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Also Jordan Lynch got sacked 3 times which counts as 3 rushes for -16 yards, which doesn't take into account all of the times that he got flushed out of the pocket and scrambled to the line.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

As always we are left guessing as to Manziel's future. There are some red flags but as the game has evolved the scouting hasn't caught up so we're never really going to know if red flags are going to turn into anything substantial.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

commy gun posted:

So Mariotta is out of the top 15 now right?

He played on an injured knee and still looked alright. Also, it was one game against a top 5 college defense. Maybe pump the breaks a little bit.

bhsman posted:

I'd rather trade down than spend TRIGGER WARNING, CHIEFS FANS: a top five pick on a right tackle when you can find one later in the draft.

You may not necessarily find one and why not take the best one? He's also probably the best player at that draft slot.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

You can't just make sexy picks all the time. That's not how you build for success in the long term.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

bhsman posted:

Won't disagree, but I just don't see the point in taking Matthews at #5 if Clowney is available.

Well of course not, because Clowney would be the best player available at #5 by a wide margin. Barr, not so much. Not that Anthony Barr isn't good, but he's not Clowney or Matthews.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

commy gun posted:

If you're taking Clowney you're taking him because hes the best player, and there's nothing wrong with that. "Need is the worst evaluator of talent" or whatever that quote is.

Well yes but you're also assuming that Clowney is going to be there to take at #5. If he's there you take him, but that's not what bhsman said (at first). He was debating the merits of taking a right tackle top 5.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

A virtual "gently caress you" to the guys who are at the top of the profession you want to be in makes him someone i wouldn't want to invest any cash in.

I can understand concerns about missing important dates and the partying but why the gently caress should Manziel have to kiss the Manning family's rings?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

I think we can all agree that someone will reach on Manziel and take him way before he should be taken.

That would require us to agree where he should be taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm saying he's going to be taken ~10-15 pick. And that's way too high for him to play human pinball in the NFL. I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Let's wrassle my dude

It happened on a freak injury on a scramble rather than a designed run and RG3 still doesn't know how to slide so I don't think it's impossible for small mobile dudes to survive and even thrive

Also I wouldn't call RG3 undersized

• Locked thread