Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
These threads are awesome, bewbies. Thanks for the work.

It feels like some people are down on ASJ this year to his low stats, but I think that can be pinned on a coaching staff that doesn't seem to know how to use him. He'll shoot right back into 1st-round territory after offseason workouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Disillusionist posted:

So what's the deal with AJ McCarron? I get the feeling that not many people like him in the NFL, that he plays for the best team in CFB and that he's just a game manager. Any chance some team that needs a QB takes him to be a starter, or is he more of a "great potential as an excellent backup" type guy?

Most people think he's another Alabama QB flash in the pan. I think he has more upside then the other Bama QBs that came before him, but the doubts are valid.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
University of Washington chat:

Keith Price has the athleticism and leadership to excite scouts, but i'm not convinced he will make it as an NFL quarterback. Steve Sarkisian stripped down the playbook this season to hide his weaknesses in the passing game, so most of his stats come from screens and designed running plays. As much as I've enjoyed watching him play, he doesn't possess the skills that make me feel like he'll contribute at the next level. A 3rd-4th round projection is way too generous.

Bishop Sankey might surprise people during his pre-draft workouts, but those people only haven't been paying attention. He makes up for his lack of size with elite vision and power. Good luck trying to tackle him in the open field. I think a 2nd round grade is fair for now. Whoever drafts him won't regret it.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins drew some red flags for his offseason DUI and quiet production this year, but I don't think NFL scouts will care about that when it's time to evaluate. Despite the down stats, he still measures up as arguably the best tight end in the country and his blocking seems to have improved this season. Easy first-round pick in my book.

Kasen Williams might end up as an UDFA. He showed flashes but hasn't done enough to live up to the recruiting hype. I'll be surprised if anyone drafts him.

Sean Parker has been one of the best players on the defense this year. He's too small to handle the load at safety in the NFL, but could carve out a niche as a solid nickel back. 6th-7th rounder.

Washington is rightfully mocked for its lack of success, but we still have our fair share of NFL talent. Donald Butler and Mason Foster are defensive leaders on their respective teams, Jake Locker seems to have gotten things together in his third year, and even Jermaine Kearse may have found some hands.

We have good talent, y'all. Too bad they will never see a Rose Bowl.

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 26, 2013

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
poo poo The Beddy For Teddy

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Grozz Nuy posted:

Legedu Naanee is my go-to if we're talking about poo poo players with awesome names. It's just too much fun to say, so he couldn't be any good, because then you would say it too much and it would ruin the experience.

Taco Wallace :colbert:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If you're watching MACtion tonight, Buffalo LB Khalil Mack is considered a first-round prospect.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's basically all but confirmed that Hundley is staying at UCLA. Adjust your big boards accordingly.

I wouldn't take him that high anyway. He needs another year of polish.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bradley Roby has officially declared for the draft.

He's having a down season but might still be the best CB on the board.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I don't think there's a single Raiders fan that likes Gregg "Seriously guys zone blocking will totally work this time" Knapp.

Or Seahawks fans, for that matter.

In draft news, DT Louis Nix will have surgery on a torn meniscus and is done for the year. The question now is if he declares and risks not being 100 percent for the Combine, or just stays at Notre Dame another year to try to get better game tape.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Remember when the Seahawks had a Top 5 pick for the first time in forever, and they used that pick on a can't-miss sure-fire linebacker who would lead the defense to glory?

Good times.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Grittybeard posted:

Nix from Notre Dame is pretty well thought of I think, although the only thing I know about him is watching him get shoved around a lot of the game against Alabama last year (not that Bama's line didn't have ridiculous talent on it).

Oh now that I look him up he just had knee surgery, apparently he's had tendinitis in it all season. No idea if that'll be an ongoing thing but it's something to worry about with a 6'2" 357 lb :stare: man.

Yeah, he has a torn meniscus and probably won't be ready for the Combine. There's an outside chance he comes back for his senior year and tries to improve his stock, because he has clearly been less than 100 percent this season.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
:siren: Mariota is staying http://t.co/Zq8RuwzEco

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mariota will only be a junior next year, you guys

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mora just confirmed that he's not going to Washington and signed a 6-year extension so yeah, I think Hundley stays

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
More big news: Zach Mettenberger has a torn ACL, will miss the entire draft process.

So...good luck trying to evaluate him any further. He's now an even bigger question mark than he already was.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Quest For Glory II posted:

I was not a fan of Mettenberger because I don't like a QB who cannot improvise, but the ACL won't make him undrafted I don't think. It might make him a third day selection. A third day pick on a QB with good physical tools and frame that you expect to put on IR his first year is not unheard of, I guess.

I wasn't trying to imply that this hurts his stock, but it sure as poo poo didn't help it. With the QB class suddenly looking thin, just a halfway-decent Senior Bowl and Combine could have put him in the 2nd-3rd round.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-1204-bears-emery-chicago-20131204,0,1272604.story

quote:

"Ideally … (you want) somebody in that 6-5 range," Emery said, citing the need to see over linemen. "The taller, the better. If they're short, they have to have good arm strength, and they better be a heck of an athlete, or they better be Drew Brees (6-0) and get the ball out really fast."

Welcome to Chicago, Logan Thomas!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Zypher posted:

To be fair, would you drive this?

gently caress yeah I would

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

DeimosRising posted:

C'mon. It's harder to name an all-time great WR who did retire with his first team than one who didn't.

Jerry Rice in a Seahawks jersey is still the weirdest thing I have ever seen in football

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Austin Seferian-Jenkins confirmed he's declaring, in case there was still any doubt

@Softykjr Austin Seferian-Jenkins just told me today was his last game at UW.

ASJ had a down year statistically , but his measurables are off the charts. I think he could easily get back into the first-round conversation with a big Combine and pro day.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Washington RB Bishop Sankey officially declared for the draft.

He doesn't excel in any one area, but is a well-rounded player with good vision and underrated speed. 3rd round material, could jump to the 2nd depending on how pre-draft activities go.

He also passes the Good Football Name test with flying colors.

Benne fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 31, 2013

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In case this hasn't been mentioned yet, the Cowboys and Ravens will do a coin flip at the Combine to determine the 16th and 17th spots, so the top 20 isn't quite finalized yet.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

John Brown posted:

So I know comment sections aren't the best source for insight but it seems a lot of fans would like to have Vick as a backup/fire-starter for their potential rookie QB.

Is he really still much better than most backups? I feel like last year his oline was simply atrocious.

Vick would be the best backup in the league and could probably still start for a handful of teams.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
A.J. McCarron is skipping the Senior Bowl :psyduck:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Azhais posted:

Worked for Geno

...who fell to the 2nd round while E.J. Manuel performed well and was the first QB drafted.

This is not a good decision by any means.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Watching the Rose Bowl right now. Stanford OG David Yankey is officially on my Seahawks wish list.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Eagles should just use every single pick on a defensive player.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"Storm" is a top 10 football name, especially for a RB, but he loses points for the generic "Johnson." 5/10 would not draft.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dane Brugler is mocking Bortles to the Texans. Worth noting that he was the first guy to call Eric Fisher at No. 1 last year.

http://t.co/DkdHCzNzS5

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Intruder posted:

:stonk:

Though to be fair he's not mocking it, he's just saying it would make sense if they took him

Well I meant "mocking" as in "mock draft", not literally mocking the pick, but anyway, Brugler is pretty plugged in and worth listening to.

As for Benjamin, I was a bit disappointed by his showing tonight, but I'm not sure how much was his fault given that Jameis slumped for almost 3 quarters. Will have to watch his other games before writing him off.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 7, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Shrine Game practices started today. Here are some relevant Twitter feeds to follow:

https://twitter.com/OptimumScouting

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Alouicious posted:

Does anyone watch enough Ivy League football to have any info on Jeff Mathews? That OptimumScouting guy was pretty drat high on him, from those tweets.

His CBS profile

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1760436/jeff-mathews

quote:

With former Delaware Blue Hen Joe Flacco guiding the Ravens to Super Bowl glory, the timing may never be better for an FCS QB to establish himself as one of the top passers of his respective class. The likeliest candidate to accomplish this is Mathews, whose strong, accurate arm pops off tape, already making him a hot name in scouting circles.

He was named the Ivy League's Offensive MVP in 2011 and finished second last year despite battling nagging injuries. A strong finish to his career could result in a trip to Mobile, Ala. as he's already among the FCS prospects on the Senior Bowl's Watch List.

He has the size and arm strength that will give him a fighting chance in the NFL, but his inconsistent footwork, which greatly affects his ball placement, continues to be a problem.

Strengths: He reads defenses quickly, and physically-speaking, is a man amongst boys at this level, firing passes to all levels with the velocity, trajectory and accuracy to dominate.

Weaknesses: Mathews takes most of his snaps out of shotgun and his development under center is one of the biggest obstacles he'll face on his way to the NFL. He possesses just average athleticism for the position and, of course, has never seen the likes of an SEC pass rush.

Sounds like the Shrine Game will be his one big chance to stand out.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Because I am way too invested in the success of former Washington Huskies, let's check in on local hero Keith Price and see how he's doi--

quote:

Eric Galko ‏@OptimumScouting 5m

Keith Price has missed vertically repeatedly today. Placement off, velocity not there. He's done nothing to emerge as draftable.

...oh. :smith:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Logan Thomas is not getting drafted before ASJ, what the poo poo

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Based on the spreadsheet and team needs listed so far, this looks like a good year to be needing a WR in the 2nd round.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Shrine Game just kicked off. Here's a stream if you don't have NFLN

http://www.vipboxus.co/american-football/6455/1/nfl-network-live-stream-online.html

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Toledo WR Bernard Reedy has some serious stone hands early on

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm starting to get a crush on Jimmy Garoppolo.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

jeffersonlives posted:

I know everyone says this about Garoppolo and it's why he might be a first or second round pick but geez that's an unusually fast release.

If he lights up the Senior Bowl I don't think he'll fall out of the first round. I'm very, very impressed with what he's done so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Strange, Vipbox is usually more reliable than First Row these days. Do you not have Ad Block installed?

• Locked thread