Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm definitely interested, I picked up Pendragon during a charity bundle and I'm itching for a chance to play.

Some kind of Pagan Knight.
Hey there wasn't anything like horse archery, was there? And was the bow an appropriate weapon to use in battle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Thanks, been a while since I read the rulebook.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

What's the general outline for the game going to be?

Dusted off the pdf, I was thinking I'd make Generous my notable trait, or possibly Pride. It's a toss up, am I giving with both hands just to look good?
It might be interesting to try shooting for a Pagan Religious Knight.

And I think I like the name Guy, though I'm not sure which way that is supposed to be pronounced in this setting.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I just need to knock off a few cobwebs and I should be good to go.
What do you need me to do?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Morris of Cholderton
Glory: 1254=1134+120

Blurb
Morris grew up hungry and scared in an age of constant war. His grandfather died young, in a skirmish with the Picts, and his father turned to raiding to stem the decline in the family fortunes.
Now, with a trio of raw knights and a ragged band of soldiers following his banner, Morris dreams of grand conquest, assuming he can survive his first real battle.
He's survived his first battle, a little shaken, and not covered in glory, but none the worse for wear.

Family Characteristic
Distinguishing Features & Family Characteristic: 1d6 3 1d6 3 1d20 20
Clever (Gaming +10)

British Christian

Chaste/Lustful 13/7
*Energetic/Lazy 16/4
Forgiving/Vengeful 10/10
*Generous/Selfish 13/7
Honest/Deceitful 10/10
*Modest/Proud 13/7
*Just/Arbitrary 10/10
*Merciful/Cruel 10/10
Pious/Worldly 10/10
Prudent/Reckless 10/10
Temperate/Indulgent 10/10
Trusting/Suspicious 10/10
*Valorous/Cowardly 15/5

Loyalty (Lord) 15
Love (Family) 15
Hospitality 15
Honor 15

Size 13
Dexterity 15
Strength 13
Constitution 10+3
Appearance 13

Damage 4
Healing 3
Movement Rate 3
Total Hit Points 26
Unconscious 7

Distinctive Features
Distinguishing Features & Family Characteristic: 1d6 3 1d6 3 1d20 20
Bright eyes and piercing glance

Skills
Awareness 5
Boating 1
Compose 1
Courtesy 13
Dancing 2
Faerie Lore 1
Falconry 3
First Aid 10
Flirting 3
Folk Lore 2
Gaming 13
Heraldry 3
Hunting 10
Intrigue 15
Orate 3
Play [harp] 3
Read [Latin] 0
Recognize 3
Religion [British Christian] 2
Romance 2
Singing 2
Stewardship 2
Swimming 2
Tourney 2

Battle 15
Horsemanship 10
Sword 15
Lance 10
Spear 6
Dagger 5

Army
3 Young Knights
14 Other Lineage Men
34 Levy

Family
Great-Grandfather Miles (d)
Grandfather Morians (d)
Father Morganor (d)
Great Grandmother Melior
Grandmother Malvis
Mother Morchades

Paternal Uncle (Married)
Paternal Aunt (Unmarried)

Maternal Aunt (dead, illness, married)
Maternal Uncle (Married)
Maternal Uncle (Married)

Siblings and Cousins
Half-brother Sir Jordans (married), half-brother Sir Lardans (married), [Morris], Sister Iblis (missing, married), Half-Brother Bliant (married), Half-Brother Briant (killed in battle with neighboring lands, unmarried)
Cousin Sir Guy

Gear
Additional Belongings: 1d20 13
Heirloom Arm Band: 1d6 4
Heirloom Silver Arm Band

Young Knights ReRoll (15,16&17,18=1d4): 1d4 3 1d4 4 1d4 4
Maternal First Cousin and Two Illegitimate Older Brothers

Siblings FatherMotherMorris: 1d6 2 1d6 3 1d6 5
2 Paternal Uncles, 3 Maternal Uncles, 5 siblings

Army OldMiddleYoungOtherLevy: 1d6-5 0 1d6-2 -1 1d6 3 2d6+5 14 5d20 34
Siblings Gender: 1d6 3 1d6 6 1d6 4 1d6 5 1d6 5 1d6 1...
Family Status MotherFamily: 1d20-3 5 1d20 7 1d20 12 1d20 17 1d20 1 1d20 11...
Paternal
Male (Alive, Married), Female (Alive, Unmarried)

Maternal (Alive, Remairred)
Female (Dead, Illness, Married), Male (Alive, Married), Male (Alive, Unmarried)

Siblings
Male (Alive, Married), Male (Alive, Married), Female (Dead, Disappeared, Married), Male (Alive, Married), Male (Dead, Battle-Neighboring Lands, Unmarried)

Family History
I always liked this sort of thing. Now, to roll some dice;

Grandfather's Starting Glory & 439: 2d20+((1000+(1d20)*100)/10) 220 1d20 4
Great grandfather was pretty distinguished (1900), and Grandfather seems eager to follow in his footsteps (220), but 439 has been a quiet year.

Year 440: 1d20 2
440 is more exciting. Unfortunately, it's because grandfather gets killed in a stupid skirmish with some Pictish raiders. He probably wasn't even thirty, and his son probably isn't even walking yet. :smith: Goodbye, grandfather (240)

It is a sign of things to come; the Picts invade.

Father's starting glory (1024)
Father grows up in even more tumultuous times, with war brewing against the Saxons.

Year 463? Hatred? Grandfather already killed by Picts: 3d6+6 16
His liegelord the Earl of Salisbury is slain by Saxon treachery. Father takes this as a personal affront.

464; Wife: 1d20 2
Mother was a fresh widow
(1059)

I was born in 465. I don't remember much about that year.

466&467: 1d20 6
Father fought' in the Siege of Carlion
466&467; Siege of Carlion Glory and Event: 15*(1d6) 15 1d20 17
and survived. He is said to have remarked that even the rats grew lean and vicious with hunger.
(1074)

468: 1d20 8
He fought in the Battle of Snowdon
468; Battle of Snowdon: 2*15*(1d3) 60 1d20 5
and survived. He also aquitted himself well.
(1134)

469-472: 1d20 16
Raiding was where he seemed to have a particular talent. He aquitted himself well enough that Saxon mothers would tell tales of him to frighten their children into behaving. Parts of England bear the scars to this day.
(1334)
Bellum se ipsum alet

473: 1d20 7
My father was exercising his particular brand of genius on some Saxon villages while their armies were away fighting the Battle of Windsor.

474-476: 1d20 2
He died, ironically enough, on garrison duty.
Father's Final Glory (1339)

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 6, 2014

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, just need to tie it together and give it a story.

I think for an ambition...I think with how shredded up his family history and manor seems, Morris straight up wants to be top dog, to crush the age of might. (that's Arthur's destiny, but Morris doesn't know that)
I think that is why I picked Battle and Intrigue; at this level, personal combat is vital to get anywhere, but Morris is a dreamer, thinking in terms of armies and kingdoms.

A couple questions;
Are my stats and skills particularly good or bad? Should I have distributed them differently? Like, I think Battle and Intrigue jump out at me, but other than that he seems kind of unfocused.
Do I get Hatred (Saxons)? I missed out on both rolls because Grandfather and Father died before the events that give it.
Is there a list of female names?
What does Mother remarrying mean? Like, who is the new guy, and how does he relate to Morris?
The older illegitimate brothers that are young knights, might they be half-brothers from Mother's first marriage?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, I think this character should work.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Hate Irish on 16&+; If yes 3d6: 1d20 7 3d6 4
I do not hate the Irish, either.

I will have to switch my 10 from Orate to Hunting, and correct :sigh: Gaming.

Is it better to use my advances for attributes or skills?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I'm good to go!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Whew, what an embarrassing start; at least I didn't fail, but getting my rear end kicked off my horse by a peasant with an axe is going to be humiliating.
...I hope this isn't something that runs in the family.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Oh, that's right; I'm used to "beat by more systems". Whew.
I still need to chop through all of his health in three rounds; he's pretty beefy.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Yeah, but where's the glory in that? I need to beat this guy or no one will take me seriously.

If this were a more chivalric age, or if Morris weren't scared shitless, I might let the guy draw his backup weapon. Sure, it's a battle, fight dirty to survive, I know, but it makes me look better, and I'm kind of counting on the Saxons to not just swarm me.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Is he going to run away?
I'm of two minds as to whether I'd let him flee if he did. On the one hand, this is a battle, and he'd just go pick up another weapon and be back in the fight. Be ruthless and all that. On the other hand, chopping down an unarmed man running for his life is...normal for the time period, but not a Chivalric thing to do. And I can always hope he flees the battle.

Is this the kind of situation for a player to make a Mercy roll to decide what the character wants to do?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I think as a player I'm too squeamish to choose the 0 Mercy route, so the die rolls are a cop out for me.

If I fumble...haha, Morris's father would have probably told him "We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig... cow after cow... village after village... army after army.."

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Sword Skill 15: 1d20t16 0
Failure...

Family Events;Member;Training and Practice: 1d20 15 1d20 11 1d6+1 3
Great, my sister is...still missing. Iblis!

And I will boost my Courtesy by 3. I guess I was reading etiquette manuals in between bouts of brooding.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 6, 2014

• Locked thread