Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
"The Doll that Bled" is a really good grindhouse/horror film title.

The games seems overly harsh with the damage that the enemies do, but there are some cool homages to different horror movies that make it seem like it's worth putting up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divedivedive
Jun 6, 2011
I love the way the mask? (I think anyway) says "I ain't your mama, rear end in a top hat" in that second video. That could have been just another cheesy one liner, but the way the line was read sounded a just a little bit unhinged.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Niggurath posted:

I'm wondering though, you might have explained it and I missed it, but does the healing move cost blood? Or can you only do it at low health?

As Dark said, it uses up a segment of Necro (the faintly glowing red meter below the health bar I incorrectly identified as blood). The first time you do it has to be after the tooltip appears, which only happens if your health gets low enough, but after that, you can use it any time you have at least one Necro.

divedivedive posted:

I love the way the mask? (I think anyway) says "I ain't your mama, rear end in a top hat" in that second video. That could have been just another cheesy one liner, but the way the line was read sounded a just a little bit unhinged.

So glad this got pointed out, I love that line, particularly how angry he gets halfway through saying "rear end in a top hat." Hardly makes any sense, but it echoes the rage that boss fight induced.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Would the boss fight have been easier if more points were spent on fighting moves rather than health, or would it still have just been a slog to whittle down it's health (and be forced to redo the exact same phase at the end...yeesh, that was so tedious).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the mask needling Rick. He's just getting so into it!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Niggurath posted:

Would the boss fight have been easier if more points were spent on fighting moves rather than health, or would it still have just been a slog to whittle down it's health (and be forced to redo the exact same phase at the end...yeesh, that was so tedious).

That depends on your skill, having more moves would make the fight slightly faster but also would've mean that you can afford be hit by the boss.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Niggurath posted:

It's hard to say. The absolutely devastating moves that would have taken the boss out in a reasonable time frame aren't unlocked until after killing it, so I am inclined to doubt it. The only thing that makes the boss so easy is that it takes three or four hits to kill Rick, but Rick's always generating Necro from constant attacks, so even while you're guaranteed to take a few errant hits, you can recover before enough of them pile up and become fatal, which might not be the case with too little max health and you might end up heading back to a checkpoint (which are placed after each phase of the fight) after a long, shameful load time.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

This is a pretty fun LP, I had found out about this game a couple years ago when I was looking for some Splatterhouse 2 videos on youtube but I wasn't exactly interested since I felt it was just a modern cashgrab.

Upon watching the videos I am kinda inclined to agree with my original analysis but it still looks enjoyable, just not something I think I would pay like $30 for even :v: that and all the naked photos are kinda souring my opinion

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?
Glad to see another LP by you Fiendly, and I hope it gets more attention than your last one. Out of curiosity, what's the official spoiler policy for this thread?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

AccidentalHipster posted:

Glad to see another LP by you Fiendly, and I hope it gets more attention than your last one. Out of curiosity, what's the official spoiler policy for this thread?

I think it already has gotten more attention, heh. Hope you're also enjoying this very different LP like you did the last one!

I'm pretty ambivalent about spoilers for this game. Maybe keep the last level under wraps, but I can't imagine anyone saying anything plot-related that would ruin the experience for blind viewers. So long as you're keeping discussion relevant, I don't mind divulging things we haven't yet seen (although using spoiler tags is preferred).

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I could be wrong about this but it's bugging me, the music for the chapel boss fight in the classic Splatterhouse sounds so dang familiar. Is it original or is there some classical piece it's based off of? I could swear I've heard something really like it before.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

tomanton posted:

I could be wrong about this but it's bugging me, the music for the chapel boss fight in the classic Splatterhouse sounds so dang familiar. Is it original or is there some classical piece it's based off of? I could swear I've heard something really like it before.
It seems like it could be an original song, though the name is oddly similar to 'When the saints come marching in': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx8WfsrthvM and also a not too bad rendition of it on guitar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_VIkCqrHr0

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

If I remember, the various track names for the original Splatterhouse's OST were all fan-named - the final boss theme is known as 'Requiem of Captain Mozzarella' (it makes sense when you see what it looks like). Some of the other titles were inspired by movies, however: the level 2 boss theme is called 'They're Heeere', to go with the Poltergeist reference for the boss, while the game over screen is titled 'Game Over, Man, Game Over'.

That whole 'I'm not a Splatterhouse historian' thing is getting weaker and weaker with every post, huh.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I didn't know anything about Splatterhouse when this modern version came out, but when I had watched a video and heard Jim Cummings as the mask I will not deny I grinned like a lunatic. I just love everything that comes out of his mouth as the mask; he just sounds so into it!

Definitely going to be watching this, just so I can hear more Mask needling. :allears:

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?

Fiendly posted:

I think it already has gotten more attention, heh. Hope you're also enjoying this very different LP like you did the last one!

I'm pretty ambivalent about spoilers for this game. Maybe keep the last level under wraps, but I can't imagine anyone saying anything plot-related that would ruin the experience for blind viewers. So long as you're keeping discussion relevant, I don't mind divulging things we haven't yet seen (although using spoiler tags is preferred).

Yeah, your Kameo LP was criminally underappreciated. And I am enjoying this one very much! Although with how long the last boss took, I'm wondering if maybe you'll start having musical montages again.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

quote:

Those impalements are not at all necessary to proceed...

Uh, are you playing the same game as we're watching?

Anyways, you asked to make sure that us horror-philes were paying attention for the things you weren't. And this made me notice some of the achievement titles. Which in turn had me just go look them up. Many of them seem to be very blatant references (Please don't tell me I need to explain the "Army of Dead Evil" one.)

It went by too fast, but last time when you first splatted a dude on the wall, you got the achievement "You've got red on you", which is one of the more popular lines quoted from "Shaun of the Dead".

You were asking about the Berserker line, and I'm pretty sure it's a straight-up reference to well, Berserkers. They were nasty loving characters in history. Nordic barbarians, fueled by bloodlust, known to be unstoppable madmen in battle, and just as likely to kill their buddy standing next to them as the opponents across the way, just so they could kill something. Sounds like the Mask's kinda party.

Really weird, and loosely connected would be the 5% completion achievement, "Call of the Thule". Thule was a mythological place, basically thought to be Iceland, where the Romans and others described guys very much in line with the Beserker look. Think naked wildmen, half painted blue, killing anyone in their way with no regard. Doubly odd is the fact that the weirder of the Nazis, Himmler and his bunch that were all into mystical mumbo jumbo, believed the Aryan people originated in Thule, and even called their upper echelon circle "The Thule Society".

To further fall down the Rabbit Hole, "Blood and Iron" is a well known phrase originating from a speech by Otto Von Bismark in 1862, given before the Prussian government in which he rather cannily declares that the German empire (at the time tumultuously being built and consolidated from the relatively small Prussian nation into the world power it became) will not be built upon legislation, but rather on "Essen und Blut", noting that he as a leader was not afraid to use force to get what he wanted--a policy that would carry the nation through nearly the next hundred violent years.

For some reason, I'm getting the feeling I should be catching what "See you at the Party", when you first kill an enemy with another's arm is in reference to. Which leads me to look for famous "party" monster films, and whatnot. I couldn't tell you why, but "Night of the Creeps" keeps niggling at the back of my brain when I try to think this one over.

A few other things I've found that I think might be callbacks to past games. Would the fleshy room be a reference to the boreworm room from the second game? Also, the NES game (Wanpaku Graffiti) has you at one point fight clock hands, and another point have the Evil Dead reference to laughing animal heads mounted on the wall. Also, the Doll is most definitely a boss in that game as well. (And speaking of the doll boss, am I the only one that sees the clock hand and think it resemble's a certain demon fighter's chainsaw hand? )

Also, while looking up stuff, I found a few things you didn't point out. In the first level, among the other ravings on the blackboard of Dr. West's, someone wrote "REDRUM" here and there. Also, in the room with the creepy animal doll on the bed in this video, you should have also looked down below it on the ground for another delightful children's toy...

That's all I have for now, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

For some reason, I'm getting the feeling I should be catching what "See you at the Party", when you first kill an enemy with another's arm is in reference to.

See you at the party, Richter :v:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'd like to request more metal music trivia during long boring parts of the game.

This is also my first experience with the Splatterhouse series, I've seen shorts of it within videos talking iconic video games. It might because I'm Australian. :shrug:

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

To further fall down the Rabbit Hole, "Blood and Iron" is a well known phrase originating from a speech by Otto Von Bismark in 1862, given before the Prussian government in which he rather cannily declares that the German empire (at the time tumultuously being built and consolidated from the relatively small Prussian nation into the world power it became) will not be built upon legislation, but rather on "Essen und Blut", noting that he as a leader was not afraid to use force to get what he wanted--a policy that would carry the nation through nearly the next hundred violent years.

I think you mean "Blut und Eisen". "Blut und essen" means blood and food.

Why do you say nobody remembers reanimator? I always thought Reanimator was one of the beloved classics.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Eulisker posted:

Why do you say nobody remembers reanimator? I always thought Reanimator was one of the beloved classics.

Seriously. Jeffrey Combs himself is an icon, almost on a par with Bruce Campbell and any interview or article involving him will inevitably mention the film. Which gets a little weird when the topic at hand is his Star Trek or Justice League Unlimited roles.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

AccidentalHipster posted:

Yeah, your Kameo LP was criminally underappreciated. And I am enjoying this one very much! Although with how long the last boss took, I'm wondering if maybe you'll start having musical montages again.

I'm trying to restrain myself because I feel this game's sound design is incredible, by far its least flawed aspect, and I ought not be trampling it (although the use of licensed music for the doll fight was terrible, worst in the game). I do plan at least one bonus video which I'll be scoring with my own similarly-minded soundtrack, and I'm salivating for the opportunity.

Choco1980 posted:

A few other things I've found that I think might be callbacks to past games. Would the fleshy room be a reference to the boreworm room from the second game?

Holy poo poo, this whole post is invaluable. I'm intentionally leaving some references unmentioned (and occasionally adding my own references in the commentary) so I can get great stuff like this, but some of these I had missed completely. Regarding what I've specifically noted, I believe that room might be referring to the womb level of the first Splatterhouse since it immediately follows an encounter with Jenny, but I can't be certain.

Thank you as well, that one was bugging me and really awesome now that I get it.

Eulisker posted:

I believe Re-Animator to be a classic among horror fans, but tragically obscure in the grand scheme of things, even compared to many other horror films of its era. We've clearly got some serious buffs here in the thread, so I'd expect reverence for it here, but I've often had to explain it to the uninitiated. Then again, Kevin Spacey gushes about it in American Beauty, so I could well be way off base.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Honestly, for being a so-so brawler, I do like the art direction and nods it makes to the older Splatterhouse titles and to metal trivia. And it does have some pretty good music to it when it takes licensed titles.

Did this game ever get a PC release at all?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

you know I've been thinking about this game and it does at least look like it is worth a rental (now that I learned that my city's library carries video games) and I think part of it comes from the fact that the people responsible for making the achievements didn't phone it in. I like games with achievements that involve some kind of a joke or an homage to certain genres like this game is doing with horror films and the occasional bad joke. It's part of the reason why even though some games may not be the greatest games you at least get some fun from achievement farming. Sort of like Max Payne 3, a pretty good game considering its predecessors but the real fun comes from the achievements that are ALL phrases taken from the previous games :c00l:

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
-snip-

that'll teach me to comment before watching the actual videos

Lazermaniac fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 24, 2013

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I notice that at the end of the boss battle when you're taking off it's arms, it broke down to "Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself." Which I suppose is about as dignified as you feel after taking that long to kill it.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Dinictus posted:

Honestly, for being a so-so brawler, I do like the art direction and nods it makes to the older Splatterhouse titles and to metal trivia. And it does have some pretty good music to it when it takes licensed titles.

Did this game ever get a PC release at all?

Nope! 2010 was just before PC releases were automatic for cross-platform games, and Splatterhouse didn't really blow up enough skirts for there to be a demand for it, so it's doomed to exclusivity on now-obsolete consoles. This game's had a hard life...

Aces High posted:

you know I've been thinking about this game and it does at least look like it is worth a rental (now that I learned that my city's library carries video games) and I think part of it comes from the fact that the people responsible for making the achievements didn't phone it in. I like games with achievements that involve some kind of a joke or an homage to certain genres like this game is doing with horror films and the occasional bad joke. It's part of the reason why even though some games may not be the greatest games you at least get some fun from achievement farming. Sort of like Max Payne 3, a pretty good game considering its predecessors but the real fun comes from the achievements that are ALL phrases taken from the previous games :c00l:

Which is why it's awesome to see it gaining a bit of legitimate interest! I was afraid I was gonna make this game look as bad as most people think it is, so it's good to see I'm not defeating my own purpose. And yeah, I give a game a lot of credit for not just doing a bunch of "beat level X" achievements called "Beat Level X." I turned off notifications for my last LP because it did that, where as for this one, when my recording of the second level got mangled, I scrapped the rerecording I did because the achievements I got the first time through didn't pop up, then I deleted the gamertag I'd played on to cleanse it of those achievements, replayed the first level on a new tag, and recorded the second level a third time just to show them off. Well worth it in the end, I think.

I thought I'd have three more videos up by now... LPs are hard. Something tomorrow!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh yeah, I'd say from the achievement titles alone that it's pretty clear that this game has a very narrow key demographic. It's a generic beat-em-up, and not a very good one, truth to tell, but it's keyed up straight at the same people that are commenting in this thread: The horror geeks like you and me that appreciate all the in-jokes and the red stuff enough to overlook generic and uninspired gameplay.

If fans of the series were worried about complex and sophisticated game design, then the original series probably wouldn't have had three entries! :rimshot:

I should go back and re-watch the videos for the first game. I bet there are references to catch there I haven't yet. Like how yes, Rick is originally modeled after Jason Vorhees' iconic hockey mask look. Jason first got the mask in part 3 of the franchise. In part 2, he wore a burlap sack over his head --much like Biggy Man.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE:

Dailymotion mirrors are up for the remake videos, the spoiler policy (or lack thereof, rather) has been added to the OP, and thread contributions have been noted in the bonus content post. It's starting to look like a real thread!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Fiendly posted:

UPDATE:

Dailymotion mirrors are up for the remake videos, the spoiler policy (or lack thereof, rather) has been added to the OP, and thread contributions have been noted in the bonus content post. It's starting to look like a real thread!

Awwwww, look what they did to Jenny...

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So not to rag on the LP or anything, presentation is great and you've got a lot of good knowledge and love for the series. But this game seems aggressively bad. Enemies do ridiculous amounts of damage with a few swipes, once in a while you can get one-two shotted by those green ghouls. The combat system seems somewhat half baked, you're either pawing at them gently until THERE'S YOUR EXECUTION OPPOR-oops you punched them one too many times it's gone or you get a weapon and smash them instantly. I guess it seems closer to a combination of bad design choices to me than anything else, but am I just missing the allure? I really enjoyed all the God of War games, so I don't think it's a distaste for the genre.

Enjoying the old Splatterhouse playthroughs as well, I spent more time than I should have playing those.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

dscruffy1 posted:

So not to rag on the LP or anything, presentation is great and you've got a lot of good knowledge and love for the series. But this game seems aggressively bad. Enemies do ridiculous amounts of damage with a few swipes, once in a while you can get one-two shotted by those green ghouls. The combat system seems somewhat half baked, you're either pawing at them gently until THERE'S YOUR EXECUTION OPPOR-oops you punched them one too many times it's gone or you get a weapon and smash them instantly. I guess it seems closer to a combination of bad design choices to me than anything else, but am I just missing the allure? I really enjoyed all the God of War games, so I don't think it's a distaste for the genre.

Enjoying the old Splatterhouse playthroughs as well, I spent more time than I should have playing those.

Being able to one shot you is the gimmick of those enemies (those are in fact the harder enemies of all the game), the execution system isn't really necessary on the long run and once that Fiendly gets a fully upgraded Rick he would stomp over any enemy with no problem.

The weapon thing is a design choice since is a nod to the older games.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

Seems like it's pretty accurate to the original game then.

Incidentally, if you're curious, Here's a pretty detailed breakdown of the differences between the arcade version of the original, and the TG-16 port. Warning, there's spoilers past the point in the LP.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Just found this LP and am loving the videos. The game definitely seems to like the 'gently caress you, you're dead' style of play which is definitely not my favorite, but I'm really starting to enjoy the aesthetics and music.

I loved Splatterhouse 3 on the Genesis, and the rocking horses from the 2nd video I think are a call back to stage 3 (David's room) iirc.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
My god, Jim Cummings being a completely deranged, violent, utterly un-Disney character has given me a smile in my heart. A toothy, creepy smile that's trying to devour my left lung.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

dscruffy1 posted:

As Tzitzimine and Choco noted, the gameplay itself is something of a nod to the classic series (although I can't speak to how much of that is on purpose). A side effect of the original game being released in arcades is that it wants to kill you a lot to get all your quarters, so Rick's always been a glass cannon (as much as it goes against his musclebound appearance). As for his unarmed impotence in the remake, it seems to be an attempt to make up for the much faster pace of the game, but if nothing else, it goes away almost completely as more upgrades are acquired. For some reason, the beginning of the game is incredibly weak from a gameplay standpoint and a lot of the issues will be alleviated in the coming Phases (New Game+ is where I've had the most fun).

That said, the remake definitely has flaws that will seem insurmountable to some and I can only hope the LP format makes them tolerable. Cutting the loading screens alone gives the game a much better flow then I got my first time through, so hopefully you won't have to ragequit the LP like I did the game (many, many times).

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
The fiendish difficulty and constant death wouldn't be so bad if the loading times weren't so horribly optimized. Seriously, if it takes you longer to respawn in 2010 than it did in 1987, you're doing something wrong.

And yes, that "aaassHOooOolLlllee" is one of the best swear words I've ever heard. I'm half convinced Jim Cummings had some kind of stroke in the middle of it and just rolled with it.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Was enjoying this LP. Any idea when it's continueing?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Any day now.

Sooner if you've got a few pints of blood to spare.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Tomorrow, in fact. Lest anyone fear abandonment, rest assured, this LP dies with me. Or, preferably, when it's completed. It's just slow-going right now because I work two jobs, but soon my time will open up considerably and updates will become much less scarce, which I'm looking forward to. I appreciate the interest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The LP doesn't have to die, Fiendly...

• Locked thread