Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

SPLATTERHOUSE
If you've been a gamer for any decent length of time, you're familiar with the word "Splatterhouse." It may rattle around in the back of your mind like a seductive voice whispering your greatest fears and desires, or perhaps it incites gleeful memories of the first time you ever inflicted gratuitous violence with your own hand, or maybe you've just heard it in the context of "Splatterhouse was never particularly good" (a quote from Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw that echoes a common sentiment). Regardless of your personal experience, Namco's classic Splatterhouse franchise is well-known and mostly-beloved for its pioneering role in making video games synonymous with violence.

SPLATTERHOUSE (all caps according to the Xbox 360 dashboard) is a modern attempt to bring the magic of the venerable series into the new millennium. While it's nigh-impossible to attain notoriety through violence anymore, this most recent offering was still able to achieve a certain level of infamy, albeit for different reasons: An incredibly long development cycle featuring at least one semi-official cancellation announcement, a lack of unique or particularly well-done gameplay, and crippling technical issues. For all the fanfare and excitement generated by the revival of the series, it seemed it was to ultimately become a wasted effort that would most likely bring a permanent end to the franchise.

ABOUT THE LP
SPLATTERHOUSE was the first game of the series I ever played, and I think it's excellent. After spending decades intrigued by yet fearful of its hallowed name (even while I ripped out spines in Mortal Kombat, sliced and diced in Nightmare Creatures, and shattered craniums in Manhunt), I was finally driven to check out this latest incarnation, and like the small faction of fellow proponents who convinced me to play it in the first place, I was won over. There's no shortage of flaws which I'll be getting into as we see them, and even at their best, Splatterhouse games have never wanted to be loved by all, but there's absolutely an experience worth having buried in there, which I'll be sharing fully with anyone hungry for morbid amusement and thirsty for blood.

TRIGGER WARNING
Virtually all of these videos will be :nws: due to vulgarity, profanity, violence, and nudity, which will be toned down to YouTube standards, but still, watch at your own risk.

And without further ado... Let's do some loving interior decorating!

ULTIMATE PLAYLIST - Every classic, remake, and bonus video of the LP in the order they were originally posted.

PHASES (Playlist)

COLLECTIBLES AND ARENAS (Playlist)
Journal 1-5
Journal 6-10
Journal 11-15
Journal 16-20
Photo Album :nws:Uncensored Dailymotion mirror:nws:

Arena 1: West Mansion Lobby with Kaboom Dragoon
Arena 2: Slaughterhouse with SamuraiFoochs
Arena 3: West Observation Room with Ruebinok
Arena 4: The Death Coaster with Derek Barona
Arena 5: Shadow of the Wickerman with Scruffy
Arena 6: West Manor Chapel with Major_JF
Arena 7: Lost Islands with Kaboom Dragoon
Arena 8: Heart of the Mansion with Derek Barona
Arena 9: Hall of Mirrors with SamuraiFoochs
Arena 10: The Killing Floor with Kaboom Dragoon

MUSIC
Playlist of arena songs
Playlist of licensed songs in SPLATTERHOUSE

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
CLASSICS (Playlist)
SPLATTERHOUSE is absolutely reverent of the original series it's based on and demands familiarity with these classics for the full experience. As such, I'm also doing Let's Plays of Arcade Splatterhouse, Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti for the Famicom, and Splatterhouse 2 & 3 for the Sega Genesis. From the final video of Arcade Splatterhouse on, Kaboom Dragoon joins me for co-commentary, and Splatterhouse 3 videos are accompanied by screenshots of missed and alternate cutscenes which can be viewed by clicking the Terror Mask icon next to each video link.

THREAD CONTRIBUTIONS
DecayDJK started an LP of the TurboGrafx-16 Splatterhouse in the 2007/Casual-style LP thread and was nice enough to share it here as well by my request. Thanks Decay!

Episode 1: Stages 1 & 2
Episode 2: Stages 3 & 4

Reference Roundup - Highly informative posts by horror adorer Choco1980 well worth reading after watching their associated video:
Remake Phase 2 - First Phase Findings (with alley-oop by Aces High)
Remake Phase 4 - Neat Facts RE: The Meat Factory
West Mansion Lobby Arena - Arena Redeemer

Wanpaku Graffiti Missed Information from Kaboom Dragoon, Choco1980, SoylentG, Seyser Koze (twice), roastpork, and Drakli (we missed a lot)

PalletteSwappedNinja brings to our attention the impressive Splatterhouse: Remastered project, which hopes to restore much of the remake's cut content. More information on the project is available here.

"Grandma face" 2.0 from IrvingWashington

Renon Vesir blames this fanart on me. What an honor!

More from Renon Vesir

Suspicious Cook lets Dr. West sum up the game's ending

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 11, 2014

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Dammit, I missed Halloween! That was the whole point in starting the thread when I did... Also, I have a pet peeve for LPs that go more than a week between the first update and the second, so apologies for that as well.

JordanKai posted:

e: Actually, it's probably a good thing that there aren't even more licensed metal songs in the game.

There were more at one point. A few bands were confirmed for inclusion, then failed to appear in the finished game when it was released years later. Might have been someone spilling some beans before actually getting the licenses, but I like to think they lost the rights before they could finish the game.

I love this band, and that incredible album cover will be covering Jen's shame at some point.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The game itself may be the wrong end of mediocre, but you can't say the devs didn't do their homework on the series.

That's one of the things I liked a lot about the game, the fact that it really is a love letter to its base material. That's mostly why I'm doing it the honor of also playing the classics (that and I've always wanted to see them LPed and missed the archived ones). Definitely keep posting references as they come up, they're awesome!

Choco1980 posted:

Oh neat, how'd this LP escape my notice for so long? I'm like many others in this thread in that I've always been interested in the series but absolutely rear end when it came to playing it. A megathread is a good idea. Will we be seeing all the games, or just whatever is on the disc? I've played through the bizarro Japan-only Super-Deformed NES game but that's about it.

Also, as a bonafied horror scholar, it warms the cockles of my heart to have you pointing out the references the games make, as there's a lot of them throughout.

Probably gonna do Wanpaku Graffiti just because it's short and easy to record and emulate. I might even stream it, haven't decided, but I guess we'll all find out soon enough. I'm also looking for some help pointing out the avalanche of horror references in the game since I'm bound to miss some, so feel free to jump in with any that elude me!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

azren posted:

You know, if I thought Youtube would let you do so, I'd say to leave the nudity in. Not because "hurr hurr tits," but because of principle. Yes, it's pointless, shoehorned nekkid lady, but I personally have always felt that one should thumb one's nose at censorship whenever possible. Especially when the game is about gratuitous, over the top gore for the sake of gore, at which point nudity (with or without purpose) seems like something to not worry about. Just my view on it.

It's a complicated issue for me. I agree with you completely, as I am a person who lost my loving mind over the censorship of Manhunt 2 even though that game is complete garbage (didn't know that at the time the censorship was going down, but it doesn't factor in), and even though I shake my head in disgust every time those cartoon boobs are shoved in my face, I do it with a smile on my face over the sheer gall and silliness of even including such a feature in the game. I considered playing the game on a run that had already collected all the photos so we wouldn't be subjected to them at all, but I decided that would detract from what the developers intended, so I'm trying to make the best of the censorship by jamming in more horror and music references while still appeasing the fickle YouTube gods (and doing a little bit of decontamination on the game, cause seriously...)

Also, I've run into another notorious problem with the game while recording the next episode: sound glitches. Hopefully I'll have at least all of the dialogue recorded after a second run so I can mix it together, but it's still a bastard and a half.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE:

Here's a long-overdue update! The next phase of the remake will be posted this weekend with the remainder of this game to follow shortly thereafter.

Lotish posted:

I would have thought it was "Oh bother..."

I imagine Jim Cummings (why are we spoiling this actor again?) had a blast with the game after all the kid friendly entertainment he's done.

And I know him best for saying "Bring me the HEDGEHOG!"

Jim Cummings (no need to spoiler him, I said his name in the first video...) was a guest at my local convention last year and I'm only now finding that out or I'd have gone. The only guest confirmed so far for next year's con? Doug Walker, the loving Nostalgia Critic...

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yeah, it's probably worth mentioning a bit about the mask. The look of it's actually been revised over the series: in earlier versions of the game and concept art, Rick is Jason Voorhees. There are no ifs or buts about it, Rick is meant to be Jason: I know it, you know it, dogs know it. Remember, this was back in the days when you could (usually) get away with this stuff without the threat of lawyers banging on your door. When the game came over to the West and started gaining momentum, however, they decided to make the 'homage' a little less obvious. The TG16 port started the trend by turning the mask a fetching shade of maroon. Since then, across all regions, the mask has become less of a hockey mask and more of a weird bone mask that just happens to look exactly like a hockey mask, plausible deniability and all that.

I believe there are similar reasons for why the series' antagonist is never explicitly called Herbert West. To the best of my knowledge, he is only ever called Dr. West in the first game, is replaced by a different doctor in the second game (which is around the time the Namco legal department would have had to concern themselves with copyright infringement), and is finally given the obviously referential but clearly different first name of Henry in the remake. I personally would have thought Re-Animator was too obscure to warrant such efforts (and it would have to be the film causing the issue as the original story by H. P. Lovecraft is in the public domain), but there's a Japanese strategy game called Operation Darkness that changed a character's name from Herbert West to Herbert East for the American release, so there must be someone holding that name hostage.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE:

Should be viewable in ~10 minutes.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Niggurath posted:

I'm wondering though, you might have explained it and I missed it, but does the healing move cost blood? Or can you only do it at low health?

As Dark said, it uses up a segment of Necro (the faintly glowing red meter below the health bar I incorrectly identified as blood). The first time you do it has to be after the tooltip appears, which only happens if your health gets low enough, but after that, you can use it any time you have at least one Necro.

divedivedive posted:

I love the way the mask? (I think anyway) says "I ain't your mama, rear end in a top hat" in that second video. That could have been just another cheesy one liner, but the way the line was read sounded a just a little bit unhinged.

So glad this got pointed out, I love that line, particularly how angry he gets halfway through saying "rear end in a top hat." Hardly makes any sense, but it echoes the rage that boss fight induced.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Niggurath posted:

Would the boss fight have been easier if more points were spent on fighting moves rather than health, or would it still have just been a slog to whittle down it's health (and be forced to redo the exact same phase at the end...yeesh, that was so tedious).

It's hard to say. The absolutely devastating moves that would have taken the boss out in a reasonable time frame aren't unlocked until after killing it, so I am inclined to doubt it. The only thing that makes the boss so easy is that it takes three or four hits to kill Rick, but Rick's always generating Necro from constant attacks, so even while you're guaranteed to take a few errant hits, you can recover before enough of them pile up and become fatal, which might not be the case with too little max health and you might end up heading back to a checkpoint (which are placed after each phase of the fight) after a long, shameful load time.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

AccidentalHipster posted:

Glad to see another LP by you Fiendly, and I hope it gets more attention than your last one. Out of curiosity, what's the official spoiler policy for this thread?

I think it already has gotten more attention, heh. Hope you're also enjoying this very different LP like you did the last one!

I'm pretty ambivalent about spoilers for this game. Maybe keep the last level under wraps, but I can't imagine anyone saying anything plot-related that would ruin the experience for blind viewers. So long as you're keeping discussion relevant, I don't mind divulging things we haven't yet seen (although using spoiler tags is preferred).

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

AccidentalHipster posted:

Yeah, your Kameo LP was criminally underappreciated. And I am enjoying this one very much! Although with how long the last boss took, I'm wondering if maybe you'll start having musical montages again.

I'm trying to restrain myself because I feel this game's sound design is incredible, by far its least flawed aspect, and I ought not be trampling it (although the use of licensed music for the doll fight was terrible, worst in the game). I do plan at least one bonus video which I'll be scoring with my own similarly-minded soundtrack, and I'm salivating for the opportunity.

Choco1980 posted:

A few other things I've found that I think might be callbacks to past games. Would the fleshy room be a reference to the boreworm room from the second game?

Holy poo poo, this whole post is invaluable. I'm intentionally leaving some references unmentioned (and occasionally adding my own references in the commentary) so I can get great stuff like this, but some of these I had missed completely. Regarding what I've specifically noted, I believe that room might be referring to the womb level of the first Splatterhouse since it immediately follows an encounter with Jenny, but I can't be certain.

Thank you as well, that one was bugging me and really awesome now that I get it.

Eulisker posted:

Why do you say nobody remembers reanimator? I always thought Reanimator was one of the beloved classics.

I believe Re-Animator to be a classic among horror fans, but tragically obscure in the grand scheme of things, even compared to many other horror films of its era. We've clearly got some serious buffs here in the thread, so I'd expect reverence for it here, but I've often had to explain it to the uninitiated. Then again, Kevin Spacey gushes about it in American Beauty, so I could well be way off base.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Dinictus posted:

Honestly, for being a so-so brawler, I do like the art direction and nods it makes to the older Splatterhouse titles and to metal trivia. And it does have some pretty good music to it when it takes licensed titles.

Did this game ever get a PC release at all?

Nope! 2010 was just before PC releases were automatic for cross-platform games, and Splatterhouse didn't really blow up enough skirts for there to be a demand for it, so it's doomed to exclusivity on now-obsolete consoles. This game's had a hard life...

Aces High posted:

you know I've been thinking about this game and it does at least look like it is worth a rental (now that I learned that my city's library carries video games) and I think part of it comes from the fact that the people responsible for making the achievements didn't phone it in. I like games with achievements that involve some kind of a joke or an homage to certain genres like this game is doing with horror films and the occasional bad joke. It's part of the reason why even though some games may not be the greatest games you at least get some fun from achievement farming. Sort of like Max Payne 3, a pretty good game considering its predecessors but the real fun comes from the achievements that are ALL phrases taken from the previous games :c00l:

Which is why it's awesome to see it gaining a bit of legitimate interest! I was afraid I was gonna make this game look as bad as most people think it is, so it's good to see I'm not defeating my own purpose. And yeah, I give a game a lot of credit for not just doing a bunch of "beat level X" achievements called "Beat Level X." I turned off notifications for my last LP because it did that, where as for this one, when my recording of the second level got mangled, I scrapped the rerecording I did because the achievements I got the first time through didn't pop up, then I deleted the gamertag I'd played on to cleanse it of those achievements, replayed the first level on a new tag, and recorded the second level a third time just to show them off. Well worth it in the end, I think.

I thought I'd have three more videos up by now... LPs are hard. Something tomorrow!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE:

Dailymotion mirrors are up for the remake videos, the spoiler policy (or lack thereof, rather) has been added to the OP, and thread contributions have been noted in the bonus content post. It's starting to look like a real thread!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

dscruffy1 posted:

So not to rag on the LP or anything, presentation is great and you've got a lot of good knowledge and love for the series. But this game seems aggressively bad. Enemies do ridiculous amounts of damage with a few swipes, once in a while you can get one-two shotted by those green ghouls. The combat system seems somewhat half baked, you're either pawing at them gently until THERE'S YOUR EXECUTION OPPOR-oops you punched them one too many times it's gone or you get a weapon and smash them instantly. I guess it seems closer to a combination of bad design choices to me than anything else, but am I just missing the allure? I really enjoyed all the God of War games, so I don't think it's a distaste for the genre.

Enjoying the old Splatterhouse playthroughs as well, I spent more time than I should have playing those.

As Tzitzimine and Choco noted, the gameplay itself is something of a nod to the classic series (although I can't speak to how much of that is on purpose). A side effect of the original game being released in arcades is that it wants to kill you a lot to get all your quarters, so Rick's always been a glass cannon (as much as it goes against his musclebound appearance). As for his unarmed impotence in the remake, it seems to be an attempt to make up for the much faster pace of the game, but if nothing else, it goes away almost completely as more upgrades are acquired. For some reason, the beginning of the game is incredibly weak from a gameplay standpoint and a lot of the issues will be alleviated in the coming Phases (New Game+ is where I've had the most fun).

That said, the remake definitely has flaws that will seem insurmountable to some and I can only hope the LP format makes them tolerable. Cutting the loading screens alone gives the game a much better flow then I got my first time through, so hopefully you won't have to ragequit the LP like I did the game (many, many times).

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Tomorrow, in fact. Lest anyone fear abandonment, rest assured, this LP dies with me. Or, preferably, when it's completed. It's just slow-going right now because I work two jobs, but soon my time will open up considerably and updates will become much less scarce, which I'm looking forward to. I appreciate the interest!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Ok, so I accidentally created and uploaded a low-quality version of the next episode. Since it's a few days late already, I'll post it for viewing now, it's actually not terrible-looking, but there will be a higher quality version coming in about 8 hours. This post and the OP will be edited to reflect that fact when it happens, but until then, enjoy this version if it doesn't bother you terribly!

EDIT: Full quality achieved!

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 16, 2013

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And Fiendly, if you need a guest for the classic games (surprisingly, I've never actually played this version), give me a shout. I think I've outed myself as a Splatterhistorian, so it only seems right.

Awesome, I was going to ask you eventually. The Splatterhouse 1 finale is coming up which should be perfect. Add me on Skype (FiendlySA) and I'll give you the details as I come to know them myself.

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Just my opinion but the "Monkey Guys" of level 3 remind me a helluva lot of Sammael from the first Hellboy movie. Probably intentional from the looks of it too.

Good call, this probably is the origin, or at least both monsters likely have the same origin.

McKilligan posted:

I was a little disappointed with the whole Eldritch-enemy thing, it seems to be the go-to for most big bads in games and media nowadays. Just having a crazy-rear end immortal rear end in a top hat torturing folks for fun and profit would have been enough for me, but it's a pretty minor thing. I'm still really curious to learn more about the mask itself, and where it fits into everything, ie, why it's helping Rick to throw a wrench in the old ones' plans.

The whole Corrupted thing fits in very well with the Lovecraftian nature of everything else in the game, almost to the point of being necessity. Yeah, they could have steered away from the source material if they wanted, but their twist on it (which we'll be getting a better sense of in coming levels) is already pretty interesting, no need to spice things up with a complete excision of the foundation of what Lovecraft's stories are based on. Plus it lead to that great soliloquy from the mask that everyone enjoyed so much, so it's worth it for that alone.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
And the name of the cat in The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, which is the first syllable of the one from Rats. Splatterhouse is at least much less overtly racist and actually includes a female character (only partially for fanservice), making it immeasurably more tolerant of people bearing any faint dissimilarity to its writer than anything Lovecraft ever did.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
BONUS:
Journal 1-5

The LP's finally back! This is just a little extra content that I realized I was supposed to post along with the last video, but the Splatterhouse 1 finale and the next level of the remake will be up this week, with weekly remake updates and hopefully semiweekly classic updates to follow. For now, check out yet another unexpectedly good thing about the remake and the depths of Lovecraft plagiarism they were willing to sink to to achieve such quality in this first Journal video!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE:

The last episode of Splatterhouse Arcade in which I am joined by Kaboom Dragoon!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Did Wanpaku Grafitti come bundled in here? I thought it was just the original trilogy :confused:

I'll be playing Wanpaku Graffiti on an emulator, it wasn't on the remake disk unfortunately.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Hope this was worth the wait! If not, another should be up this Saturday... I mean SPLATTERDAY!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Choco1980 posted:

You were right to call it a "Boomstick"...note the familiar dress of the dead man that was carrying it...
I was gonna note that he was lacking his other famous weapon, probably so as not to compete with Biggy Man's monopoly on chainsaws-for-hands, but that scene was so short and full of licensed music and Mask one-liners that I had to go with something more subtle.

Choco1980 posted:

Also, chainsaw vs. chainsaw may be nothing, or, there's two horror movies I can think of that feature such a duel: First and more obvious is Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, but lesser known is the film Motel Hell, wherein the "bad guy" (it's not a black and white situation, but he IS turning his guests into dried meats to sell to tourists) wears a big cut off pig head as a psuedo-mask. Remember, it takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's Fritters!
Motel Hell sounds like a really good or at least really entertaining movie. I fully intend to seek it out.

Choco1980 posted:

Again, grasping at straws here, but there was a horror movie made in the 70's known as "The Microwave Massacre"...Don't seek it out, it's dreadful. And for some reason contains a walk-in microwave to justify how the killer can use it on people.
If I was correct about the Death Bed reference in the second episode, this actually might not be that improbable a reference. As bad as this movie sounds, at least they tried to justify using microwaves for murder, unlike the much more recent Last House On The Left remake where a guy's head was put in a counter-top microwave with the door open for six seconds before it exploded...

Choco1980 posted:

It's funny, watching this LP and the one for the PS2 Hellboy game, it strikes me how the two have the same exact downfalls of being horror games that are incredibly well written, drawn, and acted, with very intriguing stories, but end up being overly-tedious beat-em-ups that wear out their welcome far too soon.
I wasn't aware of this LP and checking it out now, it's a good watch, I'm definitely gonna follow it. I feel Splatterhouse compares well to PS2-era action games, and while that's not something the game would likely take as a compliment, I like that a lot about it 'cause that was my gaming heyday and genre of choice.

Yvershek posted:

Chainsaw Gutsfuck indeed. Props to you for referencing a title best never imagined.
If anything was going to bring Mayhem's vision to life, of course it'd be Splatterhouse. Such a fun combination of words to say aloud, too.

cbx posted:

So far, that was the best episode, bar none. It helps that I love Lamb of God's music, and that the song fit the awesome battle quite well and had me singing along as Biggy Man was getting eviscerated. Anyways, good job on this so far.
I figured this one would be well-received just because the boss is so perfectly done. They had 22 years of expectations to live up to with this rematch and they disappointed no one. As I said in the video, it's a turning point after which the game really hits its stride and actually gets legitimately good for those sufficiently desensitized to its shortcomings.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
SLATTERHOUSE: WANPAKU GRAFFITI

This kicks off what might be the most aggressively non-canon game in any series ever. Enjoy!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The Biggy Deal

Choco mentioned some of this stuff a few pages back. Good to see some more conjecture on the subject now that Biggy's been violently removed from the series for the last time.

Axe Master posted:

Unless the album itself is a reference (which a cursory wikipedia says otherwise), it looks like the achievement "The House That West Built" is a reference to "The House That Dead Built", the Splatterhouse (the band's) album :eng101:

I so desperately want there to be a reference to the Splatterhouse band in this game that I consider this true until proven otherwise. My own Google-Fu has yielded a number of similar names for things, most notably the Mother Goose rhyme "The House That Jack Built," but none of them seem a likely source for the album name. It's sort of a common turn of phrase, but c'mon, the guys making a game called Splatterhouse and filling it with metal tracks must have known there was a metal band by the same name, so it seems an unlikely coincidence. Good catch, Axe Master!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

I finally got around to doing an update, thanks for your patience!

Drakli posted:

By the way, thanks for doing this LP, Fiendly. I'm really loving this game... at least, watching you play it. My favorite part, of course, is Jim Cummings really selling it as a psychotic mask. His delivery is always pitch perfect. Recognizing Biggie Man, with that little nervous chuckle on the end, then going "Yeah, we're screwed," was great. I'm honestly not sure the game itself is for me, since I'm not a big horror aficionado beyond Lovecraft's stuff, so it's probably better on a watch than a play. Then again, I do enjoy the trappings of horror more than being (cat)-scared, and this has the trappings of horror in an action game so.... perhaps I'd have enjoyed playing it.

As much as I like this game, the LP format gives me the opportunity to present it the way the developers wanted it to be rather than the way it ended up, which is a huge improvement in a lot of ways. Glad you like it!

Garrand posted:

I don't know anything about the Splatterhouse series, but I thought I'd pop in to say that I chuckle every time I see the thread title and I'm really enjoying the LP. Thanks for doing it!

Secretly, my favorite thing about doing LPs is naming the threads. Sharing the game is just a nice bonus.

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 1, 2014

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

paragon1 posted:

When do you think you'll show off more of West's journal?

More journal entries will be posted with every third Phase. Next update will be accompanied by the second journal video.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I strongly suspect that phallic creature to be intended as the Boreworm Queen who established that nest we used as a piņata earlier in the level, so that would be a good (by which I mean horrible) touch.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Brace yourself, it's time for more Wanpaku Graffiti!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

I'm posting the Wanpaku Graffiti finale early because I really want to know all the references we missed. I knew we were going to miss a lot because the game is so dense and culturally specific, but there's so much here I might have to do a follow-up video where I take a second pass at pointing out more of the sly nods and silly jokes we missed. This was an (unexpectedly) fun game to do, thanks for watching so far and keep the finds and theories coming!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

BONUS: Journal 6-10

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Maxwell Lord posted:

What are the red text boxes showing?

Progress toward achievements.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Quicksilver6 posted:

Oh wow, I remember working there when this game was going through it's final paces. Fun Fact: This game was deemed to important and had so many testers assigned to it (to no avail because bugs were constantly waived) that it eventually developed an unlimited budget for weekend and overtime testing. Volunteering for this became known as "making splattermoney". The unlimited budget for the game accomplished nothing besides driving QA testers to the brink of sanity (though not as much as the guys who had to test Yogi Bear on Wii. I hear their wails of despair in my sleep to this day.) and a vague feeling of hopelessness when reviews poured in excoriating every technical flaw that everyone was well aware of.

I also seem to remember that this project had at least one other developer... I think the last one had to rebuild the game almost from scratch after the first one fell through for unknown reasons.

"Making splattermoney" is the best euphemism I've ever heard. Thanks for sharing, the last thing I would have previously accused this game of being was heavily tested.

You may be thinking of BottleRocket, the team that began development on the game but got kicked off the project and then dissolved shortly thereafter. Apparently they only ever worked on three games, including Rise of the Kasai which I was just thinking about earlier today. Some of their guys joined Namco to see Splatterhouse through to the bitter end.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I've enjoyed a lot of bugs, like the sound dropping out every time I took a step until I reset the game (killed my recording of the second level in this very LP), Rick facing the wrong way in 2D sequences and therefore unable to advance, and survival arenas refusing to load the next wave or freezing after the final wave and becoming unwinnable, but they've been very uncommon and I saw no bugs in my first full run of the game (the arena ones have screwed me a ton of times, though). I'd also be interested in hearing some of the bugs that were found pre-release if you can remember and divulge such details.

OK Octopus posted:

He's going to be a guest at something called Awesome Con near me in DC in April. I doubt this thread'll still be going by that point, though (it's not exactly the longest game in the world).

It would be pretty drat cool to get Jim to sign one of these in red marker...

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Quicksilver6 posted:

It's been a few years and I don't have the list, but you've got the general idea: inconsistent and hard to reproduce Class B (gameplay affecting) and a lot more class C (noticeable but cosmetic) stuff that ended up in reviews like Yahtzee's, where the sound cut out suddenly in the middle of a rather important boss fight. Other stuff: subtitles suddenly refusing to disappear, clipping errors, camera errors, inconsistent game impediments, that kind of thing. Nothing to break the game permanently or crash your console - that's class A and you can't release if you can reproduce it consistently. It's just those things that makes reviewers dock points because "no one cared". Obviously that wasn't the case, there was a lot of effort put into this thing on all sides - time just ran out for the dev team with other stuff coming down the pipe.

Ah yes, I've seen most of those issues, some of them even made it into the videos (like the "Watch iiiiiiiit!" subtitle in the third level that always stays on screen until you die), but as stated, they've very rarely been more than a second or two worth of mild distraction. It's incredible how badly reviewers couldn't see the forest for the trees here, but Wikipedia says that at least one professional review criticized the loving voice acting, which goes to show that the mainstream media wouldn't have liked this game even if it reached through the screen and stuffed their orifices with splattermoney.

Quicksilver6 posted:

Also, as some of you have noted, the problem with bugs is that it's really hard to know how to reproduce them sometimes - some testers had ungodly luck with triggering just everything wrong with a game and others would just cruise straight on through, 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week. No idea why. Sometimes this can be hilarious - one guy was so infamous he kept getting shuttled around projects for his amazing ability to instantly break a game when everyone else swore up and down it worked perfectly.

I was gonna ask if there were any actions I should avoid so as not to provoke any of the more malicious glitches while recording, but it's no surprise that they're so inconsistent. There's only been two I've been able to do on command: doing a charge attack while a cutscene starts to make in play in slow motion, and holding a direction while a 2D section starts to make Rick run toward the camera.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I just started playing the Devil May Cry reboot and the very first thing that happened when I started playing was Dante got frozen in place and the game had to be restarted, which Splatterhouse has never done to me. Obviously this is just a single case that proves nothing, it's just funny that the game notorious for glitches has gone dozens of hours without giving me as big a problem as the much better reviewed action game remake of the same console generation did in mere moments.

And if you're wondering why I'm playing DmC instead of the game I'm LPing, it's because I was sick, but I'm finally over that, I just need to find some time to record. Updates are impending, I assure you.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
SPLATTERHOUSE 2

We're finally back in the classic canon with Splatterhouse 2!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Just saw this elsewhere and figured people might be interested (possible spoilers):

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?47356-Splatterhouse-Remastered

Some dude is "remastering" the X360 version of the game by fixing a ton of bugs and restoring/implementing a bunch of broken, incomplete and unused content. You'll need a modded console to play it once it's done, but still, neat.

Just got around to reading the guy's notes about this project and it's really incredible. I would loooooove to LP this version of the game if it ever gets finished and if I ever am able to play it. Either way, it's great to know about all this stuff, it's impressively ambitious.

IrvingWashington posted:

The "grandma face" 2.0

Glorious. Looks like there's another Splatterhouse game in need of a fan revision.

GetWellGamers posted:

In regards to the content warning label, Sega introduced a rating system of its own shortly before the formation of the ESRB, called the Videogame Rating Council. It was actually one of the big stones they threw at Nintendo during the Night Trap/Doom/Mortal Kombat congressional hearings, saying their system was better and more american than Nintendo's flat-out censorship. It also only lasted a little bit more than a year before the ESRB was formed, so its purpose wound up being largely political in the end.

Choco1980 posted:

While that may be, Splatterhouse 2 was actually before that system was even in place. It just had a warning by Namco or Sega saying it was a graphic game. I want to say 3 had the Sega brand rating on it. This game was a little early to catch the ire of the censors. However, it being one of those rare games that hops brands between installments, not to mention the first one being on the far more rare Turbografix-16 meant less people got the game because they hadn't played the first. That it's a balls-hard game didn't do it any favors either, so it remained relatively obscure when the poo poo hit the fan up on capital hill.

I looked it up after GetWell brought it up and indeed Splatterhouse 2 predates the Videogame Rating Council by one year, which is probably why it's commonly called the first game to ever have a warning on the box. I've been greatly curious about the specifics regarding this for years, glad to finally have gotten to the bottom of it.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I may have need of more co-commentators at some point, so it's definitely good to know there's possible interest. Glad Choco has continued to be a walking recommendation thread (he turned me on to the Hellboy LP earlier in the thread). By the way, his Silent Hill: Mobile SSLP is really good, everyone. Anyway...

Here's a video I've been sitting on for a while because I didn't want to post two consecutive classic episodes, but I'm sick once again and can't record anything else, so here ya go!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Glazius posted:

So, seeing Splatterhouse II, it strikes me as weird that The Darkness is basically following the same game-to-game arc.

I've noted a ton of similarities between this series and The Darkness, but I hadn't caught that one. Jenny's soul just makes for a great incentive to hosts of malignant forces, I guess.

Vicissitude posted:

I've done some co-commenting with Gatz for Breakdown and Binary Domain. I'm down to help. :3:

I really liked those LPs! I was actually just coyly hinting at some bonus videos I have planned when I said that, the details of which should be posted early this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
BONUS: West Mansion Lobby Arena
Edit: Playlist of songs used in the video

Here's what I've been teasing, the first of the game's Survival Arenas with the soundtrack hand-picked by me and guest commentary from Kaboom Dragoon. I'd like to do similar videos for the remaining nine arenas with rotating guest commentators, so if you'd like to volunteer for that you can do so here in the thread or by adding me on Skype (I'm FiendlySA). Future videos will be just the S-Rank runs and will be about the same length since S-Ranks take much longer on later arenas. I'd like to get started on these shortly after the next remake update is posted and do one arena per update from then on.

Also, Caitlin, if my horrible playing of the classic series hasn't scared you away from this thread forever, I was wondering if you had a link to that record-setting run. That's definitely something I'd like to see and link to in the thread's bonus content post!

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 20, 2014

• Locked thread