Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I know this isn't D&D, but as someone "informed about current affairs," maybe you should take a look at the President's proposed budget before deciding that cuts in education and science spending are somehow his fault.

Budgets are a negotiation and its telling that science spending is the first thing to go in the bargaining process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bathroom sounds posted:

Complaining about commercials on a major network is like complaining about how wet the rain is. Everyone knows they are too frequent and that they are annoying. Everyone. Every single person who watches TV.

But this is different because I was watching them and I'm a special little snowflake who deserves super special treatment.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

justsomedude posted:

Maybe, but no one on this loving planet is as petulant and irritating as the smug, milquetoast, apolitical centrists who have hijacked every conversation on Earth. Jesus Christ, I am so sick of hearing, "X is actually as bad as Y. The only correct way to be is (X + Y)/2." And every time they think that they're brilliant pinnacles of reason in a world gone mad. gently caress you.

There are no good guys and no bad guys in this world. Everybody is morally gray and if you're too simple-minded to see that, then gently caress you, too.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
This thread has devolved into an episode of The Big Bang Theory. Good job, nerds.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Did you just quote a fictional character to refute the existence of another fictional character?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah its very hard for some people to deal with the idea of their being no afterlife and only oblivion. Hell, I'm sad cause you know I wanted to hang out with famous people from all of history. :smith:

How did you intend on communicating with people who don't speak English?

Speaking a dead language has gotta be a real bummer in the after. One day you're chilling by the gates, meeting new people, when suddenly the new guys stop speaking your language and you're stuck hanging out with the same small number of peeps until the end of time.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 20, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Negative Entropy posted:

If you want to live forever you're probably just going to have to guarantee your existence for another 50 years and hope that strong AI is real so that you can become a cyborg. If that sounds unrealistic that's unfortunately because it is.

I love the optimism of young people. There are some kids out there who believe they're going to live to 120 because of something they saw on a TED talk despite human lifespans remaining pretty consistent for the last 10,000 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

sean10mm posted:

I don't know, this feels like kind of a sheltered view of what huge swathes of the country are actually like. If Pennsylvania is a right-wing hellscape, what do you call the states that didn't go Democratic in the presidential elections of 2012, 2008, 2004, 2000 and 1996? Probably a lot worse than what you experienced in terms of hostility to science education, I'm guessing.

Its definitely an odd complaint to make. Pennsylvania has what is known as the Red T, a t-shaped distribution of conservative Republicans in the middle of the state. However, Santorum is from Pittsburgh, which falls outside the Red T and, along with Philly, typically accounts for Democratic wins in state-wide elections. Furthermore, saying that 50% Christian representation on a school board is disproportionately high is weird because, if anything, its too low given the demographics of the area.

• Locked thread