Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This isn't up against much so if the ratings suck, well... you should have no more faith in humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

I do wish Obama would give NASA more money.
Budget is set by Congress :eng101:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hahahaha Brannon Braga is an EP? Oh lordy.

edit: ^ :argh:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

#cosmos isn't trending on Twitter but #LongIslandMedium is :suicide:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Diogines posted:

I understand that it is sometimes preferable to... simplify history or science when giving a very basic education, but claiming that... all of those things were first conceived of by Galileo is simply untrue.

Is it all that hard to toss a few lines at the Greeks and oh I don't know, Copernicus :?

Nope. Sorry. Earth goes around the sun, the stars are but twinkling lights and NO ONE ELSE thought otherwise prior to Galileo.
There you go.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

Ya'll gotta like, quit judging this thing minute-by-minute. Just watch and enjoy. I'm enjoying it.
Obviously you don't understand that it's totally the internet cool thing to call things out preemptively :smug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It turns out that Girl Scouts Samoa cookie Breyer's ice cream is actually not that good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: Muhammad sighting!!! :siren:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wait, seasonal changes on Mars are due to windblown dust?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Joke's on Cornell, NDT never went there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zero One posted:

So.... I guess NDT is just assuming people know Newton's laws and how they explain everything?
He hasn't even mentioned the full title of the Principia. As far as the audience needs to know, Newton wrote an important book.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MustelaFuro posted:

With each successive episode I think I enjoy NDT's narration more. I still can't help but wonder how it would be if Michio Kaku narrated.
It would be poo poo because Michio Kaku is a hack.

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAcjvfBsz_4

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dirty Job posted:

He's a professor at my college and he's a really awesome lecturer.
From his interviews, that doesn't surprise me, but too often he's giving interviews on metaphysics and poo poo like how aliens would look. We need more talk about actual physics, not the Michael Bay version of physics.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

drainpipe posted:

Didn't particularly like this episode. Too much history in my science show. At least explain why the laws of motion give elliptical orbits. Hopefully next week there will be more science.
The explanation is too complicated for 99.99% of the audience. This is one of the clearest I could find, and it doesn't even include any equations:

quote:

The general quadratic in two variables, such as x and y, is a conic section, which consist of ellipses and hyperbolas with circles and intersecting lines as special cases. Given a massive body like the sun, regarded as at rest, and a planet with any instantaneous velocity relative to it, the future orbit will be in the plane of that velocity and the COG of the bodies (since there's no force acting normal to that plane). Given any x-y coordinate system in that plane, a quadratic equation will result from the law of gravity and conservation of angular momentum. The solution, path of the planet, will be some conic section, but there is no reason to suppose it will be the special case, a circle. That will only happen if the initial velocity vector happens to be exactly at right angles to the radius vector from the sun to the planet, and its speed is exactly the circular speed for the distance of the planet from the COG.

So the orbit will be an ellipse or a hyperbola, but if it is a hyperbola the planet will fly off on it into outer space and never return. So the only class of stable solutions are the ellipses. Note that the influence of other planets has not entered at all. In fact they do not serve to form ellipses but to destroy their stability by causing rotation of the axes and off-plane forces.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

Isaac Newton: Father of Modern Physics, Forefather of the U.S. Secret Service :black101:
Newton was British and died 140 years before the creation of the U.S. Secret Service so...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

The way NDT said it.

He also pronounced Principia the right way (Prinkipia) which was nice.
Whenever I teach a finance class, I mention that "ceteris paribus" is pronounced keteris because in Latin, c has a hard k sound.

My students probably hate me.

(spoiler: they don't)

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 25, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

computer parts posted:

At worst, it means that scientific literacy is not changing. Which disproves the original point anyway.
Everyone at Fox News has a college degree and so do the people who run the Creation Museum so...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yaos posted:

He did say the reason for it would not be understood for another hundred years. Not sure why he didn't bother to explain it. He did the same with orbitals, just jumped in like everybody knew what an orbital was.
Which episode was this?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gohmak posted:

How are the ratings for this show? I wish I could watch it live but Game of Thrones and all.
Not that great, but if you're not a Nielsen household, it doesn't matter anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

Thanks Neil, for pronouncing Alpha Centauri the same weird way I do: sen-CHUR-ee
It's in the constellation Centaurus which is pronounced sen-TOR-us so Neil and you are wrong. :colbert:

• Locked thread