Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Damo posted:

I'm semi-excited for this, I guess. Although NDT wishes he were 1/10th the science explainer dude guy that Carl Sagan is.

NDT honestly kind of annoys me. This will not be anywhere near as good as the original.

I'm slowly getting more pessimistic as this post goes on. I'll stop now.

Out of curiosity, have you read his books? I think that his books would be much easier for a non-intellectual audience to read, without really sacrificing content. He also talks like an ordinary person you'd meet on the street. He doesn't have the grandiose language or poetic delivery or weird voice, but those are turn-offs with non-science people just as often as otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The only problem with the Bruno thing is they spent like twelve minutes on it when four or five would have done fine. Tyson's written at length about Bruno before though so I'm not surprised.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Shbobdb posted:

Still wouldn't include GoT. And I don't know fuckin' anybody with basic cable. That may be anecdotal -- is it really that common?

I have basic plus the sports package :shrug:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Negative Entropy posted:

You're not getting it. Not every science discussion needs to derail on religion. It's a noxious topic and nobody changes their minds. It contributes nothing to scientific discourse and yet it gets brought up constantly whenever science is.
Did Jesus really exist provided contemporary historical documents? Is the universe sitting on an invisible turtle? Who knows. Who cares. What does it have to do with Cosmos? Go to the Christian thread in gbs if you want to argue over religion.

It's always going to happen because the idea of faith is directly opposed to the concept of science.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I hate the cartoons.

But andromeda-Milky Way was cool as gently caress.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Did anyone else expect the little kid from 2066 with the awful haircut to say "Hell's bells?"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I personally thought the fish book story was hilarious and the kind of thing that's necessary to grab an audience's attention. A layperson who watched that episode only "knowing" that Newton got hit on the head with an apple(knowing in quotes for reason fellow nerds) will now remember pretty much who Halley, Hooke, and Newton were(at least, comic book exaggerations).

He's trying to inspire people uninterested in science to give a poo poo about it. Read Space Chronicles, he's aware the bar is really loving low right now. Americans are dumb as poo poo right now and that's why new Cosmos is so much dumber. It has to be.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 24, 2014

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

:stare: This is amazing. I was sure it had to be a parody or some kind of restoration job, but from the whois looks like they just registered it for 20 years and it has a few left.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

wa27 posted:

There's a couple guys that were tasked with keeping the website running after the suicide.

Some googling tells me that they still send tapes and books to those who request them. I wonder if having a crazy Heaven's Gate book from the source would be a wise investment of $45...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

A few minutes into the episode I was worried but it turned out pretty cool.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sash! posted:

You will never make "no center" make sense to me so just stop trying

Really, because the balloon example that's commonly used is pretty easy to understand :confused:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

computer parts posted:

At worst, it means that scientific literacy is not changing. Which disproves the original point anyway.

No that's not the worst case scenario. The worst case scenario, which your graph doesn't refute, is that the quality of math and science in primary and common secondary education was much higher several decades ago, to the point that a lower graduation rate still meant a higher percentage of scientific literacy. I haven't seen much recent data so I can't say one way or another for sure, but some of the facts quoted in the Demon Haunted World were pretty alarming circumstantial evidence that this might be the case.

Anecdotally, I know every mother I know complains when their children are given anything more than the simplest math problems. "We're not China!" :negative:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

404notfound posted:

I wish water weren't so central to every episode. It's really weird hearing NdT constantly say "warter."

I was wondering if I was the only one bothered by the way he pronounces the word.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Finally got around to seeing the latest episode and holy poo poo. Hypernova, supernova time lapse and galaxy rise were great.

I also now really want to go camping/hiking in the outback. Being from Chicago, I've never even seen the milky way.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Not as cool as last week's episode but fairly informative and a good message.

I wish they'd given NDT 3 more episodes to make up for commercials. I don't want it to be over. It may be inferior to the original in some respects, but we'll probably never get another show like this :smith:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

howe_sam posted:

So the Great dying is pretty much the worst case scenario for climate change then?

I think the absolute worst case scenario is Venus.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Pretty awesome episode. I kind of wish Faraday had invented goggles though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Something something Battlestar Galactica

In the future, the Galactica will have to fly into the sun to find earth.

Finally it all makes sense

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

pik_d posted:

Looks like next episode is going to piss even more people off :getin:

Eh as the season goes on fewer and fewer people are watching/care.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm okay with it being pre-empted next week because again, we'll never get another show like this one. It's okay with me if it's another week before it's over.

From the looks of it, the Blu-Ray has no deleted scenes/bonus footage, but there is something like 4-5 hours of other bonus materials mostly consisting of a large making-of. Plus it's only 30 bucks at Amazon.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The episode wasn't awful or anything but it doesn't stack up that well against the previous 3-4 episodes. The Patterson, Faraday and star episodes were great.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sekkira posted:

And there's no evidence supporting any other theories, let alone debunking the idea of it. This episode was about speculation and trying to find hope for the future. Last I checked, the original series and Carl Sagan was big into that as well. Soo, I'm not seeing the issue here.

Yeah Carl Sagan talked about living in asteroid RVs as a very serious and recommended course of future action in more than one book.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Josh Lyman posted:

It's in the constellation Centaurus which is pronounced sen-TOR-us so Neil and you are wrong. :colbert:

Now you're going to tell me water isn't pronounced "worter."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

spankmeister posted:

Are you from Bahstan?

I don't say it that way, I was making fun of NDT.

If you hated the speculation in the last episode, brace yourself: a bunch of speculation in the coming episode could tarnish a good message. It'll be about global warming, and using the image of perfect beaches on Venus replaced by insane greenhouse effect.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/cosmos-a-spacetime-odyssey/episodes/the-world-set-free/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dr Christmas posted:

Global warming is unscientific nonsense.

Everyone knows that there is a causal relationship between gays and natural disasters.

The gay dinosaur epidemic is well-documented.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The finale left me with a feeling of "meh" which sucks :( I wish there were more episodes. Guess I'll have to read another NDT book instead.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sash! posted:

One of the Pathfinder people said she dreams of the day an astronaut picks up Sojourner to bring it home.

Pfft, the best initial Mars return mission would be giving Opportunity a ride home. It's earned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Forget the fact NDT isn't interested. The fact that ratings were really bad will pretty much stop a second season from happening.

• Locked thread