Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This show has been awesome the whole way, but this episode seriously blew me away. We're getting out of the kiddie pool now into the really awesome stuff. This episode was the first one that introduced new things to me that I wasn't familiar with and re-explained things that I sort of knew but in a much more incredible and understandable way. The final scene jumping through all the spectrum of light was loving gorgeous and gave me goosebumps. I can't wait to see more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Stormageddon posted:

Also, it's worth it to note while NDT is popular among net atheists, he's definitely not among them. He's an insistent agnostic and has pointed out that even at the level of the highest organization of science, 7% still identify as religious, and so long as that number isn't zero, no matter how low it is, then the existence of god and people's personal faith should not be the target of ridicule and scorn. Neil is one of the reasons I got out of new atheist poo poo and I'm happy to see him working on public understanding of science and outreach with things like the show.

This is incorrect, when talking about the number of religious scientists, his stance is not "if this many scientists are religious, it's not worth ridicule", he has expressed annoyance that that number isn't 0% on multiple occasions. I'm not home so I can't look up a video of this right now, but I can tonight if no one else has.

That said, his goal is not to start a fight over religion vs. atheism, but instead to just promote scientific literacy. But I don't think it's a stretch to say that part of his goal in promoting scientific literacy is eroding the prevalence of religious beliefs, it's something that he's talked about more than once.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This episode was pretty all over the place. And the weird out of place lovely raytraced inner workings of photosynthesis was a really jarring transition from the normally amazing vfx shots this show has, and was really confusing and unclear to boot. I'm not even sure why it was put in.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

howe_sam posted:

So the Great dying is pretty much the worst case scenario for climate change then?

Not necessarily. While climate change is a very serious threat in many ways, even the worst case scenarios are less dramatic than that. Extra CO2 in the atmosphere leading to severe global warming is very bad, but it can't really compete with gigantic asteroids and massive tectonic upheavals.

Of course, if the yellowstone caldera goes sometime soon....

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Maldoror posted:

The thing about that is, it will go, and unless something else happens like a nuclear war or asteroid, humans will have to deal with it somehow, or just let it happen. I'm not sure what could possibly be done to stop it, because as soon as you drill or tap into it, you'd set it off.

If you live near there, it's probably a good idea to move away! That way, when it finally goes, instead of dying instantly in a giant magma explosion, you can die slowly from the ensuing nuclear winter. :v:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

computer parts posted:

And again, I don't really care about the WBC types because they're not that significant. I care about the Fox News types because they're a much larger influence.

Do you live in America? If so I can only assume you are nowhere near the Midwest or the south. These kinds of views are not only common, but are the prevailing outlook among the region.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

He's the "Science guy" because he literally had a show called "Bill Nye the Science Guy".

Otherwise he'd probably be called the bowtie science man or something.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MrSlam posted:

I'm not sure if ending an episode based around urging everyone to use less fuel with talking about the space program was the best strategy.

I think it was, that speech is incredibly stirring and serves as a good reminder of what striving towards a difficult goal can gain you.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Zogo posted:

Thanks, I guess we're not really close to that number. I wonder if there's some kind of threshold where CO2 would get so high to cause some kind of cascading effect where the planet would be irrevocably damaged. Maybe we don't know that exact number.

If it came down to a heat issue I can see people walking around outside in space suits to withstand the heat.

We don't know the exact number but we do know that we're very close to it, maybe even past it. We're getting to the point where unless we find a cheap effective method of pulling CO2 out of the atmosphere and storing it, we may be past the point of no return.

Like NDGT said in the last episode, the melting ice is releasing huge amounts of stored CO2 and methane, which is creating a very dangerous feedback loop that we probably will not be able to stop if we don't do something very serious within the decade.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

PureRok posted:

Man, after hearing so much about the "Pale Blue Dot" thing, it was actually kind of underwhelming hearing it.

How does it feel to hate beautiful things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

AwkwardKnob posted:

"unsubstantiated what-if daydream theories and very badly mischaracterized history"

What?

Yeah I know there were a couple spots that went into "what if" territory bit they were pretty far between and usually had a disclaimer. That statement is some pretty crazy hyperbole.

• Locked thread