Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
What I really hope is that this new series leads to more remixes from that "Still More Glorious Dawn" dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hehe, like humanity is really gonna last for another 250million years...hehe :smith:
My oceanography teacher put it best, "All that humanity is going to leave behind is a 2 inch layer of plastic in the stratigraphic record" :smith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Is that Seth as Bruno? And I hear Phil Lamar in there

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Logikv9 posted:

This has a goofy EVIL CHRISTIANS ARGH thing going for it.
Its kind of funny that a lot the advances and theories in science came from Catholic priests and monks.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Dinosaurs still live today Neil :argh:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Like 4 minutes of this show discussed space
Well isn't this show about the universe which doesn't necessarily need to be about space?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

Bill Nye made an impact on my childhood and my understanding of science at that time. Discovering that he is not a scientist, according to SickZip I should not respect him anymore, correct? Should I go and advocate Young Earth Creationism now?

Serious talk, this was really fun and I am eagerly awaiting the rest of the series.
Yeah it was him, Magic School Bus, and Jurassic Park that made me want to pursue a career in the Paleontological Sciences. Which reminds me that its a crime that Sam Neill has never narrated a dinosaur documentary :argh:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I like space and planets and black holes and kooky space-time astrophysics stuff. What else should I be watching?
BBC Space https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3N-TCllte4

Hosted by Sam Neill :swoon:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Man that was a fine Nautilus shell they just found laying on the beach there :spergin:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

There was a cool experiment done in the USSR with Artic Foxes and domestication done I think the 1950s

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Hollywood my suspension of disbelief is seriously being strained into thinking that the Browns can build a championship calibar team and that Brown's draft day is not a depressing alcohol abusing day of pain.

Also I hope Neil talks about trilobites this episode; mainly because I've been working on them for my undergrad project.

I mean hell I've been told by my adviser that we are the first to describe a specific part of a trilobite :stare:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Don't worry Neil I got this, Mr. DNA told me how it works :smug:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

"Every cell is a little universe" is something Sagan said isn't it?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

And just imagine the amount of life that we'll never know because they didn't leave fossils :smith:

Hell think of the life in the oceans that we don't know because we only know about 1% of the ocean.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Sesq posted:

Guys, I don't think we should be taking the spaceship where we won't need eyes to see.
Dr. Grant couldn't handle it :smith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

After eye's talk about how jaws formed, which was just impressive.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yeah if you want to talk about complex eyes, just look at mantis shrimp eyes

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Cool, the extinctions.
At least over the last 22 years of my existence science has found out that dinosaurs are not technically fully extinct :unsmith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yay trilobites :neckbeard:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Glad they went with the Permian mass extinction instead of KT

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Are we going to Titan?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I'll someday be a poor jaded grad student that hates life, but at least this reminds me that it'll be worth it.
Right now I'm a poor jaded undergrad student who is right now in a Paleontology lab on Spring Break looking at trilobite specimens from 3 different sites in Utah and trying to construct range charts for a poster that is due in two weeks and this episode really did make it feel worth it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

bathroom sounds posted:

Kinda wish there was a real Hall of Extinction somewhere.
Especially to memorialize the animals we had a direct hand in extinguishing.
There is, its called any Museum of Natural History :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

Sometimes that doesn't work and the gene stays on so you get kids born with tails and wolfboys with fur and what have you. Now the cool thing about atavistic genes is that if you can figure out which one does what, you could go in during the developmental stage and switch it on. They've done this with certain animals, chickens being one of the more famous examples of atavistic gene tweaking in utero; since chickens evolved from dinosaurs, they have dinosaurian atavistic genes for, say, razor sharp teeth, claws, and tails. And now we've made chickens with teeth, tails and actual claws instead of wings. Chickenosaurus.
Yep this is what Jack Horner wants to do. Jack Horner is completely insane, but drat it he helped consult Jurassic Park so he's okay in my book.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Human species in millions / billions of years? I think the next mass extinction event / global ice age is going to wipe us out way before that. Like < 50,000 years?
And just think of all the nonsentient organisms that had ruled the planet for more than a 100 million years and yet we'll find a way to gently caress ourselves over and go extinct in less than 10 million years.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

Nothingness is a tricky concept. Not existing. It's pretty natural to reject it, but not doing so leads to understanding a lot of other things. The fact that there is no inherent meaning to life, doesn't mean it can't have one. In fact, it means you can give your life the meaning you want it to have. Just because it's not there, doesn't mean it can't be.

And there's no afterlife, you just go back to the state you've been in practically for the last 13,8 billion years, minus your current age or so. Which isn't actually a state at all, not in the sense that we understand and define it. Instinctively, an afterlife seems a lot more tempting than an eternity of nothingness, but you won't be aware of the nothingness so while that doesn't make it any more tempting, it sure would be preferrable to me over spending an eternity in an afterlife. Complete awareness of heaven or hell for an eternity would be hell in any case.
Yeah its very hard for some people to deal with the idea of their being no afterlife and only oblivion. Hell, I'm sad cause you know I wanted to hang out with famous people from all of history. :smith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

I love the optimism of young people. There are some kids out there who believe they're going to live to 120 because of something they saw on a TED talk despite human lifespans remaining pretty consistent for the last 10,000 years.
I remember reading a National Geographic Kids magazine about how in 50 years we'll be able to slow down the aging process and cure cancer because of nanomachines. That and have colonies on the Moon and Mars. I miss those days of being optimistic for the future :smith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Surely it'd be like some kind of sci-fi translator where you just understand what each other are saying in your own language even if you're not speaking each others' language. Like the Babel Fish or whatever.

I definitely don't like the idea of "nothing" after I die, which is why I'm not an atheist. I want to believe there's something afterwards. Though I don't believe in Hell and probably not even a "heaven". Just I dunno. Something!
What if after we die, we just get reborn as ourselves in another universe? :psyboom:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

sean10mm posted:

I don't know, this feels like kind of a sheltered view of what huge swathes of the country are actually like. If Pennsylvania is a right-wing hellscape, what do you call the states that didn't go Democratic in the presidential elections of 2012, 2008, 2004, 2000 and 1996? Probably a lot worse than what you experienced in terms of hostility to science education, I'm guessing.

Also, Santorum's a Catholic, and the Catholic Church lost interest in fighting evolution in like 1950. He's a huge rear end in a top hat, but he's been waffling on intelligent design for like the last decade and is kind of a poor example to bring to this particular discussion.

Yeah that's why we have the term Pennsyltucky, because once you leave the suburbs of Pittsburgh, Philly, and Erie. It becomes a desert wasteland of red ignorance, banjos, and Arn City Beer.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Sure thing, man. Probably the 2 most standard biology books I know are Lehninger's Principles of Biochemisty, and Campbell's Biology. Neither of those really have dick to say about creationism.
For my Bio 112 class we actually had a quick conversation about science and religion it just to get it out of the way, but yeah Campbell doesn't say gently caress all about creationism.

computer parts posted:

In Texas there was literally just a sticker on the inside cover which said "The State of Texas is legally required to say that Evolution is just a theory".
And isn't Texas where a lot of textbook distributors are located? :negative:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gyges posted:

I love Newton as a crazyass dick. Usually you just get get the brilliant awesome dude.
Yeah its crazy how dickish and petty scientists were back then.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Wow gently caress you Issac

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Dr_Strangelove posted:

No Carl tonight :(
They brought up weed so he was in there in spirit

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Hehehe now I'm remembering that QI episode where Phil Juptus got mindfucked about the sunset being a mirage.

The segment in question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZfr2nZmoJc

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

BrideOfUglycat posted:

"This distance of Earth from the outermost planet, Neptune..."

Thanks for rubbing in your demotion of Pluto, Tyson. :arghfist:
Its not his fault that the Plutonians drilled all the Plutonium from its core!

Patrick Stewart is awesome, he's also batshit insane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WViTzC_SRHw

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Where we are going we don't need eyes to see :unsmigghh:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

drat that's cool

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I'm getting Magic School Bus flashbacks now

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Athenian society/democracy was pretty lovely Neil

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Dr_Strangelove posted:

And it reveals the Ark of the Covenant
Didn't they have to move that temple when they created that dam that kind of hosed over that region in Egypt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

William T. Hornaday posted:

Hallucinations in the grocery store?
I think he's a germaphobe?

• Locked thread