Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My partner and I are so excited for this. We met out in the middle of nowhere while out stargazing, and she's a physics and astronomy teacher as well as an executive on our local chapter of our astronomy club, so needless to say astronomy is a pretty big part of our lives. It's such an awesome way to get anyone interested in the sciences, so I hope the new season really takes off. Her students are so pumped for the premiere tonight to the point of planning a party to watch it. A party for a science show. How awesome is that?

I'm in full agreement with this poster who said that it's quite possible that this could do a lot to get people more interested in the astronomical sciences again. I would love to see some fresh faces at our astronomy club meetings, and I think that Cosmos has a really good chance of making that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

AstroZamboni posted:

I'm wholeheartedly in agreement with that poster too. Those fuckers at the A.L. never did run my letter, but I have a featured article getting published in Sky & Telescope later this year so the joke's on them.

Hahahah, awesome. I would love to see it when it comes out. I've shown your letter to a few younger folks in our chapter of the Royal Astronomical Society in an effort to get our median age down. I've managed to become their PR guy and webmaster as a result, so I've been overhauling a lot of our online presence in preparation for tonight, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

JossiRossi posted:

Oh, I can see it because I own it. drat. I still have the source file so I can upload it anywhere really. I'll look into alternatives but if someone has a good suggestion I'll take it.

edit. Unless better hosting comes round MY EYES MY EYES.

The people in my astronomy club say that you're the cause of ignorance and misinformation being spread about history's great scientists. Faraday was not bad at science, and how dare you suggest otherwise!

It's kinda sad how upset older educators and professors get about the way younger folks show their appreciation for science these days, while at the same time complaining and wondering why young people don't bother trying to engage with the club. Thankfully, it seems the new program has done a lot to get people talking about history and the sciences, at least in my experience. I'm probably gonna start a new club/astronomy resource for folks in my city, since it's pretty obvious that the existing one isn't a decent environment for those under the age of 50.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The National Post posted:

Cameron Keeping, who once worked with Bourque at Walmart, said he last saw his friend on Sunday where a few guys got together at Bourque’s trailer, smoked a joint and watched Cosmos, “a weird space movie.”

Cosmos - A Weird Space Movie

• Locked thread