Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

FuhrerHat posted:

This is a bad way to educate the uneducated.

It is. Going to need some science and explaining why things are happening instead of pointing at things. So far this is just a more expensive version of poo poo you can find on H2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Enough with the whining about being persecuted hundreds of years ago. No matter how much they focus on it, they aren't going to convince modern day opponents to relent. Just show science.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Logikv9 posted:

Can we go back to space now?

Only if you want to be persecuted by the Space Church.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Myst Hat posted:

How dare they spend the first episode of a cosmological science series talking about the history of cosmological science.

They spent very little time explaining how the ideas were come up with, and spent two commercial breaks worth explaining that the church kicks smart people in the nuts.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

My problem is that I feel bombarded with science fighting religion way too much recently. It's bad enough that I had to hear about that retarded Nye vs. Ham debate from dozens of retards on each side on facebook. I can't find any kind of casual source to simply learn some science without the battle between science and religion coming into play.

The scientists are every bit as petulant as the religious people at this point. The church executing people does not change how the cosmos works at all, so why is it taking up so much time in science show? Did the speed of light change from 185,000 miles per second to 186,000 miles per second because Bruno died?

NGT was given air time on a major network and a large budget, and he chose to spend some of that time politicking. It's gotten to the point where learning about science from any mainstream source is the same as watching MSNBC or Fox News. Can't I just turn on a podcast and listen to some science before I go to bed without hearing some butt-hurt whining about God?

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 10, 2014

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

smg77 posted:

Seriously? Carl Sagan's legacy deserves a better thread than this.

See?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

What day did "Planet Earth" broadcast on? I remember everyone talking about it at the office back when I worked in an office. But we also talked about "The Sopranos" every Monday as well. So I'm assuming that "Planet Earth" didn't air on Sundays.

Either way, it's stupid to put "Cosmos" up against the usual Sunday night line-up. Put it on a day when nothing else is on, and it would have done so much better.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Winkie01 posted:

Edit: /\/\ put it up on Mondays there isn't poo poo on Mondays right now imo.

Yeah, I hope they do that. Mondays 8PM. Maybe 9PM.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hazo posted:

Sorry, it was Sundays.

Then Cosmos fails. At least until The Walking Dead ends in 4 weeks.

But then GoT starts so... Cosmos is hosed all around.

Gatekeeper posted:

Your avatar just reminded me of how much I loved seeing a show directed by Brannon Braga have a weird salamander looking thing crawl out of the water. Dude just loves hosed up salamander things.

Yes, he's a weird man.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MeLKoR posted:

Really? Look at the world today, it doesn't take anything for people to be complete assholes, intolerant is the default state of any population that isn't force fed a steady diet of tolerance since their formative years. How do you expect the vastly illiterate population of the middle ages would look upon anyone different from them when their crops failed?
Monotheism by it's nature is going to make people even more intolerant. Gotta scapegoat 'em all!

This isn't to say that sometimes the church or secular authorities didn't promote intolerance themselves but one thing you can be sure, there was never a point in time where the mob was more tolerant than the educated minority.

This is an intelligent thought. The problem with religion is that people blame religion for religion. In the end, it is our own weakness that makes us turn toward religion.

If religion did not exist, there would be something else filling the void that would be exactly the same as religion. People need something to feel important over.

*By the way: the post I quoted made me think of this. I do not propose to be on the poster's side or represent their views.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Great episode. So much better than last week. I'm a fan if they keep this up.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Evolution is the most fascinating thing. Endlessly fascinating. To me, it is on par with how something came from nothing. Find the answer to one, and you find the answer to both. Maybe.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Well it's kinda obvious since Sagan spent the entire last episode talking about the direction of the human race and how lovely it was

I don't believe that humans are going to die out for billions of years. We are so good at destroying worlds that we will seek out more to destroy with endless and mostly efficient gusto. Earth is the first McDonald's.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

computer parts posted:

If humanity ceases to exist it will be because we will become genetically distinct from present day humans.

I disagree because even though we may become lame chicken losers instead of awesome dinosaurs; I think we will still be smart enough to know where we came from. I think we've passed a checkpoint.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

7thBatallion posted:

The question is, where do we, the human species, go from here? Where will we be in a million years? Will we eventually be unrecognizable to our current selves? I mean, for all we know in a million years we could be some sort of aquatic species, or even resemble other species of life...

All signs point to newts.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I love that the smartest men on Earth bankrupted themselves because they seriously overestimated interest in fish. That must have been a very boring year for science if fish won out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gyges posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I was completely unimpressed with it when I was 6. poo poo, that means that if I take even a modicum of care for myself I should be still around for the horrendous haircuts and fashion displayed for the next pass.

My father and I looked for it when I was 5. Either we didn't see it, or it was way unimpressive. Either way, the night ended with both of us underwhelmed, and my dad telling me that I can try again when I'm 80.

• Locked thread