Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I finished the old series last year on Netflix so I'm looking forward to this beginning.

AwkwardKnob posted:

I always found Cosmos charming because a lot of scenes would just feature Carl Sagan strolling through a field or sitting on a large rock, as if musing to a group of classical toga-wearing apprentices.

It looks like there will be a lot of him walking around:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395695/mediaindex?ref_=ttmd_md_sm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Deakul posted:

That was pretty cool but I'm not watching it live every Sunday night after this, so many loving commercials holy gently caress.

Yea, the presentation is flushed down the toilet with car and tablet commercials every five minutes. It puts a damper on the potential profundity.

howe_sam posted:

I did think there was a bit of edge in talking about non-science types that wasn't present in the original. That might feel a bit like axe-grinding, but gently caress, Sagan would be pissed off at all the anti-science junk floating around today, and wouldn't hold back from savaging them too.

I remember Sagan had slow contemplative barbs interspersed in some of his monologues. Carl Sagan talks nice and slow unlike most others.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

As somebody who has always watched everything online, holy poo poo that was a lot of commercials. How do people watch TV? I feel like I was just intellectually molested. It totally ruined the show for me, I have no idea how people can put up with that.

After seeing a few thousand commercials it's easy to go into an autopilot mode of meditation.

Or some may go the Pink Floyd - The Wall route:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLWbI_3LLPI&feature=youtu.be&t=47m53s

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Finally caught up with the series and I found it more palatable to watch on demand with the same Rio 2 commercial playing ~15 times than live. I liked these last few episodes more than the first one surprisingly. I noticed some :hfive: over that 6,500 year universe jab. That's not going to do much dissuading as YEC (young earth creationists) cite Adam being created as a fully functional male in mind and body along with Eve as being logically consistent with a universe being created that was already advanced in age.

PS if you like these encompassing series you might like (or may be enraged by) How Should We Then Live? It of course is diametrically opposed to Cosmos 1 and 2 in many areas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKWFfMFcZgo

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yaos posted:

For those of you wanting to learn more about the universe Netflix has The Inexplicable Universe up. It's setup like a lecture but there's pretty pictures.
http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/The_Inexplicable_Universe_with_Neil_deGrasse_Tyson/70305069?fcld=true

I've watched the first three and liked them even though I've seen NDT talk about some of the concepts prior. The explanation of protons, neutrons, electrons, quarks, neutrinos and when they were discovered/theorized was more straightforward and concise than I've heard before.

The other funny part is where he goes over how ET intelligence may regard homo sapiens as complete idiots unworthy of any time and that Earth may just be a terrarium for the amusement of superior intelligence.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

A few weeks back NDT seemed to be figuratively ripping a bible to smithereens as he smirked and told the story of Earth's creation date of October 23, 4004 BC.

I think last weeks episode could backfire as some will see a deep freeze as inevitable. No need for stewardship let's live it up as this place will be a giant ice cube soon!

Felix Towerpants posted:

Wow. Do we really, in the 21st century, need to be taught that sin doesn't cause earthquakes?!

The world is a more exciting place when the fate of the planet teeters on every choice you make.

tastychicken posted:

We need to kill the sun! :thumbsup:

The sun is a false god and it must be destroyed.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The cartoons get funnier by the week.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just watched the episode. I'm surprised that no one in the bible belt is up in arms for NdGT saying that Noah's Ark is a copycat story from some old Arab.

It's seen as a secular recording of actual history.

In the same way some believe the KJV of the Bible (1611 AD) as the ultimate original truth with no errors when there are much older contradictory manuscripts. How? The KJV was imbued supernaturally to go back to the beginning and ultimate truth as bastardizations had crept in.

And then there's always the Satan trump card. Satan knew Jesus was coming in the future and transplanted false legends and myths for deception and confusion in the preceding centuries. The Epic of Gilgamesh could've been penned from a demonic source. Religious people believe that types like NDT and Bill Nye are under powerful demonic influence anyway. How else could someone attack scripture so brazenly and powerfully?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've seen many documentaries, TV shows, articles mention the dangers of the average atmospheric carbon dioxide increasing yearly in PPM but I've never heard it mentioned just how high it can get (exact PPM readings) before people go outside and start choking to death or at least get severe asphyxia. I believe there are some that won't feel any urgency or worry about it until it gets around that point.

I know OSHA and some other places have safety standards but I don't how that relates to enclosed places vs. the general outside atmosphere. Anyone know?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

eth0.n posted:

Currently C02 is about 400 parts per million in the atmosphere. Deadly levels are about 90,000 PPM; levels causing "some to become drowsy" are about 10,000 PPM.

So, basically, C02 would be well beyond even a climatologist's worst nightmare before we'd feel the effects physiologically from breathing it. We'd literally bake before we'd choke.

Thanks, I guess we're not really close to that number. I wonder if there's some kind of threshold where CO2 would get so high to cause some kind of cascading effect where the planet would be irrevocably damaged. Maybe we don't know that exact number.

If it came down to a heat issue I can see people walking around outside in space suits to withstand the heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Remulak posted:

Anybody remember which episode had ngt cutting up an ice fish? The one with transparent blood I guess? I've got a daughter that's obsessed with seeing that again and I've skipped though each dvd twice now trying to find it.

I don't even remember it from the show myself.

Was that the second episode? I thought he might've been doing that when talking about brown/black/polar bears.

• Locked thread