Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Do you know the odds of successfully navigating the Kuiper Belt?

Approximately 3,720 : 1.

Edit: vvv This guy knows what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Mustache Ride posted:

Hopefully we'll have less smug Tyson, and more science Tyson from here on out.

edit, and less of that drat ship

So far this spaceship of the mind is following in the footsteps of Sagan. Not sure why you would expect something different.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

NDT just blew 20 mins of his show talking about a guy who didn't do anything except have a dream and another 15 minutes of his show on cheezy cgi of his dumb spaceship obscuring cheezy cgi of other things.

I thought the point was to illustrate that conventional wisdom can be wrong and a scientist needs to be willing to challenge things that seem self-evident.

EDIT: This thread is horrible.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Sash! posted:

But it's wrong. It didn't happen that way. Heliocentrism wasn't one of the charges brought against him.

What I saw was Bruno professing that the Universe is infinite and that the stars were other suns. Which seems to match one of the charges against him on the wikipedia page "claiming the existence of a plurality of worlds and their eternity". I don't think the anime Bruno every stated he was in favor of heliocentrism. You might have gotten that from the reference to the works of Copernicus and the British asking him if he ever read Aristotle.

That said, shut up and watch the drat show.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Like 4 minutes of this show discussed space

There are more episodes to come.

• Locked thread