Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
As a huge fan of the original series and Carl Sagan the human being, I am cautiously optimistic about this new series. I'll admit that I kind of expect a lot of the heart and soul to be lost in translation, replaced with a bunch of expensive graphics and flashy editing. I was always blown away by the original Cosmos' earnest and scholarly presentation, but I guess John Q Public doesn't have the kind of attention span or tolerance for that in 2014. I always found Cosmos charming because a lot of scenes would just feature Carl Sagan strolling through a field or sitting on a large rock, as if musing to a group of classical toga-wearing apprentices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

All the people complaining about unneccesary flashy graphics must not remember that roughly 1/3rd of the original Cosmos was cheesy special effects shots of a spaceship traveling through space with Sagan's narration and a Vangelis soundtrack in the background.

I'm not complaining at all, just musing. Part of the original's charm was the cheesy special effects, although at the time it was released, I suppose it was the latest poo poo too. Vangelis is awesome.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

My first reaction to the announcement of the Obama introduction was scorn, like "Oh, here comes the President to ride the coat-tails of a bunch of dedicated people who really gave it their all to make this new series. Okay, I guess." Granted, Obama himself isn't directly setting science budgets in the country - that's more of a Congressional task - but it does feel a little disingenuous considering how much scientific funding is getting slashed in this country. Feels like Presidential lip-service to those who are informed about current affairs, but at least his introduction might inspire somebody young. That's really the point here, isn't it?

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Oh my god so loving pumped. Did the original Cosmos air commercial-free? I've seen it a lot but can't for the life of me remember if there are breaks in the editing to accommodate them. Having to suffer through consumerist lies every 10 minutes is really going to knock me out of the groove if I watch this on Fox.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

I don't have a DVR so that's extremely disappointing. The only reason I wouldn't just wait until this pops up online and pirate it is because I emphatically want to "support the artist" in this case. Looks like I'll be using the mute button. Still, you have to admit that's disappointing because we're essentially being robbed of nearly 20 minutes of content per "hour" of show. When you stretch that out over 12 or 13 episodes, that's a lot of lost potential. Really wish Seth Macfarlane had paid to run this commercial-free out of pocket or something cool.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Yes, it's TV, but the original aired on PBS with no commercial interruption. Plenty of shows have done something similar, and I would have preferred it that way. What's weird about that? I am probably different than a lot of TVIV goons in that I literally loathe commercials and don't even watch live TV or have cable. Stuff like Netflix, Amazon Prime, or just good old fashioned piracy enable me to experience all the shows and documentaries I like to watch with no commercials. Frankly, I don't understand how the rest of you tolerate it otherwise haha

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Carl Sagan's complete inability to cut a slice of pie is his worst character fault as a human being. Seriously. Dude ruins Thanksgiving for everybody.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Michiu Kaku has "haters" the same way anything with a presence on the internet will attract haters. I'm personally friends with some people who, in my opinion, spend way too much time on Reddit - maybe you know a few like them yourselves: physically unable to go one conversation without making a troll-y comment or referring to some kind of meme in real life. People on the cutting edge of distraction, unable to think deeply about anything for 10 minutes any more. Always hunting for that next empty chuckle to reblog and upvote. In my life, these are the people I know who are hating on Cosmos, or Michiu Kaku or NDT. I guess people who are enthusiastic about stuff are easy targets. gently caress Michiu for being such an attention whore, right? Episode 3 had a wonderful quote last night like "when society doesn't know who Hooke or Halle are, but know all the name's of famous mass murderers, what does that say about us?"

Don't be afraid to let yourselves get excited about this kind of stuff guys. It's okay, no one's looking...

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

I find it kind of amusing that anyone could be "underwhelmed" or let down by the original Pale Blue Dot speech. It's a profoundly expressed sentiment about Humanity - not some kind of singular expression that's going to make you fall to your knees weeping. The idea that you could take such information about Earth and being alive at all for granted speaks volumes about how lucky we even are to live in this time and age. Goons.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

I hope this hasn't already been posted but:

http://vimeo.com/56160700

Watch that immediately.

Pro loving click.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

"unsubstantiated what-if daydream theories and very badly mischaracterized history"

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

Do we know what the production of the original involved, in terms of how it was filmed and how the effects were made? If they shot it on film and still have the negatives then it could get a new HD transfer.

The original Cosmos could definitely use a fresh coat of paint and re-release, I haven't heard about anything like that happening though. I'm hoping the eventual box set or blu rays of the new series have some extra stuff in them though!

• Locked thread