Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Not that I even watch it but I just watched a slideshow of cancelled shows that included Once Upon a Time. Guessing it is just badly researched since zap2it lists it as renewed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Badly researched, or they meant Once Upon A Time In Wonderland.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

We're still waiting on the following shows:

The dead yet to be buried
Betrayal, Bad Teacher, Friends with Better Lives, Hostages, Intelligence, Believe, Crisis, Dracula

The toss-ups
The Crazy Ones, Nashville, Parenthood, The Mentalist, Last Man Standing

The do what now?
Family Guy

10 down, 4 to go.

Presumably Cancelled
Dracula

Could go either way
Parenthood, Last Man Standing

...huh?
Family Guy

The rumor mill over at Deadline says the cast of Parenthood is holding out for more screentime than NBC is willing to pay for. No word (factual or rumored) about LMS, and FG remains a mystery (though Bubble Watch has decided its production schedule implies a renewal through next year). Between Dracula's star going back to rehab immediately after wrapping and the horrid ratings I can't imagine there is even an outside chance of renewal, but nothing's official yet.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 10, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So the Mentalist survived after all.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Looks like they are asking the Parenthood cast to take pay cuts for a final short season. That doesn't sound great for its renewal chances does it?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

ToastyPotato posted:

I wasn't going to be too bothered losing it now that the Red John plot is finally over but it is a solid procedural and I am glad that it gets another season.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

smg77 posted:

Looks like they are asking the Parenthood cast to take pay cuts for a final short season. That doesn't sound great for its renewal chances does it?

That's the opposite, that's a really good sign for its renewal.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Occupation posted:

That's the opposite, that's a really good sign for its renewal.

Cool...this season's finale could easily have served as a series finale but a short season to finish wrapping everything up would be great.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Shame about the Crazy Ones, it was pretty solid overall.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just saying with the cancellation of Almost Human (which I intended to watch the first season of before the second season, so dodged that disappointment bullet) I can officially say Karl Urban is cursed. Consistently the most likable part of doomed movies, be it that they're really really C-list bad (Doom, Priest, etc.) or terribly marketed (Dredd), he can now chalk up "doomed TV show" to that list.

He really needs a freaking break other than Bones.

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

I can see Community getting some sort of "movie" on Netflix, but I very much doubt they'll take up a full season. That is unless all the casts other commitments for next season goes tits up, then I could see them making a season. But that would probably mean it'd be late 2015 before anything aired.

Netflix, no. Hulu? Yes. Hulu desperately wants a big IP to push like Netflix got Arrested Development, and already has dealings with them, exclusive rights to the current series, I believe? So there is a chance if anyone picks it up as a series, it will be them.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

...huh?
Family Guy

I have a feeling there's tension there since American Dad is moving to TBS (I think it was TBS? Please correct me if I have the wrong network) for two seasons which were already in the can pretty much. While I can understand them letting it go if it's not getting the ratings, to take a show that's already done and not air it sometime - or even sell it as a DVD under their label - says "corporate drama" behind the scenes to me, which probably extends to all their shows.

ED: For anyone not familiar with the show, yeah, the production literally massively outstripped the ability to air the shows resulting in two nearly complete full seasons, at least, already done. It could be more now if the production team was still making more, that I'm not sure of. They've literally edited episodes (often very blatantly) to say things like 2014 over what was clearly 2011 or 2012 originally.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 10, 2014

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Presumably Cancelled
Dracula

Could go either way
Parenthood, Last Man Standing

...huh?
Family Guy

Parenthood's the only real quandary remaining.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have a feeling there's tension there since American Dad is moving to TBS (I think it was TBS? Please correct me if I have the wrong network) for two seasons which were already in the can pretty much. While I can understand them letting it go if it's not getting the ratings, to take a show that's already done and not air it sometime - or even sell it as a DVD under their label - says "corporate drama" behind the scenes to me, which probably extends to all their shows.

ED: For anyone not familiar with the show, yeah, the production literally massively outstripped the ability to air the shows resulting in two nearly complete full seasons, at least, already done. It could be more now if the production team was still making more, that I'm not sure of. They've literally edited episodes (often very blatantly) to say things like 2014 over what was clearly 2011 or 2012 originally.

This covers it for FG. With the (relative) failure of The Cleveland Show, AD's departure to TBS, and the spectacular flameout that was Dads, Seth McFarlane and Fox TV may be headed towards a conscious uncoupling. If his upcoming movie's a success to the same degree that Ted was then I'm sure he'd love to have a more relaxed schedule after grinding out show after show for 15 years.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Blazing Ownager posted:

Just saying with the cancellation of Almost Human (which I intended to watch the first season of before the second season, so dodged that disappointment bullet) I can officially say Karl Urban is cursed. Consistently the most likable part of doomed movies, be it that they're really really C-list bad (Doom, Priest, etc.) or terribly marketed (Dredd), he can now chalk up "doomed TV show" to that list.

Well I mean he was in Lord of the Rings and Star Trek. Cursed seems too strong a word.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

shups join Deadpool's random reviews thread you giant chicken

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

You say that, but I say Micheal Ealy is cursed. Both buddy cop shows(AH and Common Law) and both times shot down.
Not that Common Law was good or anything, but still, he hasn't 'made it' in tv since Sleeper.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
It looks like Parenthood's getting a renewal after all. Nothing's official yet but let me just say as a fan: Phew.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Looks like the ax finally dropped on Intelligence. Godspeed Josh Holloway.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Neither of the new CBS dramas survived this year. It's probably why they're going to back to the well with the spin-offs for NCIS and even CSI.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

BrandonGK posted:

Neither of the new CBS dramas survived this year. It's probably why they're going to back to the well with the spin-offs for NCIS and even CSI.

It's pretty sad when I'm most excited about the loving CW fall schedule.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

ToastyPotato posted:

This is really surprising, beause the black boss guy just suddenly started acting he was high; I thought he knew the show was done, but maybe he's decided the show is dumb and is doing whatever.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm not sure there was ever any risk of any episodes being locked in a vault unseen. We really don't know the details of the TBS move well enough to say that there was a lot of drama involved. Late last year it was announced that one of the AD showrunners left as production on a new season got started which implies that TBS is funding new episodes rather than just airing whatever was in the can. Meanwhile, Fox has picked up yet another cartoon from Seth so there doesn't seem to be any real bad blood over the AD move.

As for Family Guy, the show already has episodes for 2014-2015 thanks to a previous production order so any deals for additional episodes probably do not need to be made until Q4. Last I heard the voice cast had already signed on for a minimum of two additional seasons and Seth's deal is probably fairly complicated to work out at this point.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Parenthood is renewed, and Parks & Rec's final season is getting the Community treatment as it is ordered but not scheduled.

Since we're probably not getting an official statement regarding Family Guy, that's it for this season. Stay tuned for the Summer lows that don't really matter.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Occupation posted:

shups join Deadpool's random reviews thread you giant chicken

the joke is that the guy behind Pierce is Bob Greenblatt just in case you were wondering

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

the joke is that the guy behind Pierce is Bob Greenblatt just in case you were wondering

Oh okay i get it, that was a good joke

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-d-flat/263937/

OH GOD
Glee has caused Fox to literally hit sub-CW numbers, and Riot is DOA.
pre:
CW 	The Originals - Season Finale 	0.9/3 	2.06
FOX 	Glee - Season Finale 	0.6/2 	1.92

CW 	Supernatural 	0.9/3 	2.14 	
FOX 	Riot - Series Premiere 	0.5/1 	1.32

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Postal Parcel posted:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-d-flat/263937/

OH GOD
Glee has caused Fox to literally hit sub-CW numbers, and Riot is DOA.
pre:
CW 	The Originals - Season Finale 	0.9/3 	2.06
FOX 	Glee - Season Finale 	0.6/2 	1.92

CW 	Supernatural 	0.9/3 	2.14 	
FOX 	Riot - Series Premiere 	0.5/1 	1.32

Easily one of the funniest things I've ever seen

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Did the country just fall out of love with Glee? I know that there seems to be a huge churn of actors from that show appearing in other shows, but I have no idea if they were ever leads or just guest stars.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

devoir posted:

Did the country just fall out of love with Glee? I know that there seems to be a huge churn of actors from that show appearing in other shows, but I have no idea if they were ever leads or just guest stars.

The quality just plummeted as they became so desperate for plots that it started getting completely nonsensical. The musical numbers got worse in general as well.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

pentyne posted:

The quality just plummeted as they became so desperate for plots that it started getting completely nonsensical. The musical numbers got worse in general as well.

Ah. That makes sense, I just never paid any attention to it other than hearing about it tangentially. The last I heard it was breaking records every which way and the man behind it was apparently the most powerful man on television.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

devoir posted:

It peaked a few years ago but I heard after the one guy died it never really recovered.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
It's been in a steady decline since midway through the 2nd season. It's just kind of a textbook case in what happens when a show continually alienates the gently caress out of its core audience.

(There's obviously no way to know whether or not they'd hit these particular lows if Monteith hadn't kicked the bucket last summer, but they were already hovering at 1.5s last year when he was still alive -- though in rehab -- and Fox still renewed it for two more seasons. It's been just barely hanging on for a while now.)

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

devoir posted:

My opinion (as a former watcher) once the first group graduated it sort of ended interest in the show for me. The New York plots were uninteresting and the replacement kids were either copy-cats of other characters or just completely bland.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I thought it was more due to Ryan Murphy is able to only make one good season of the show then they just get stupider and stupider. See also Nip/Tuck.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Glee's downfall is proof we live in a just universe.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

All previous (and entirely valid) arguments aside, Glee's other current problem now is that Cory Monteith's death completely and utterly derailed Ryan Murphy's vision of where the show was going. Of course, prior to that his vision of the show was kind of terrible largely because he didn't get the spinoff where the grown-up kids go to NYC and remake Fame. So instead the NYC stuff was shoehorned parallel to the high school stuff which made both sides kind of terrible.

As with so many shows in high school, it made the mistake of following the characters instead of the premise. The premise of a show about glee club losers with a strong satirical/absurdist bent to it was solid, which was apparently obvious to many people not including its creators.

And yeah, lovely musical numbers.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
It was also a premise with a finite 'end' -- eventually you have to let those losers and underdogs win, or you've completely undermined the central conceit of chasing your dreams and being true to yourself and etc. etc. And once they've won, that's kind of...it. Lower the curtains, they're set free into the 'real world' to continue chasing those dreams. The series should have realistically ended after that third season when half the cast graduated, with maybe a 2-hour 'movie event' reunion-type thing in closing, set several years in the future. The idea of 'this glee club is full o' scrubs, let's treat them like garbage' kind of loses its punch when said club wins Nationals and there's a scene of the entire school showering them with adoration, to where bringing in a new crop of underclassmen to refill those ranks feels kind of empty.

And maybe that's ultimately where the show failed, in making Sectionals/Regionals/Nationals such a Big Deal that once the club has won each of them at least once, apathy kind of sets in. We've already watched a bunch of kids we grew to care about over three seasons triumph and beat their most hated competition on the biggest possible stage; why should we care about this 'new' glee club that's at least 50% either brand new or woefully underdeveloped and whether or not they can repeat that triumph?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

xeria posted:

And maybe that's ultimately where the show failed, in making Sectionals/Regionals/Nationals such a Big Deal that once the club has won each of them at least once, apathy kind of sets in. We've already watched a bunch of kids we grew to care about over three seasons triumph and beat their most hated competition on the biggest possible stage; why should we care about this 'new' glee club that's at least 50% either brand new or woefully underdeveloped and whether or not they can repeat that triumph?

Friday Night Lights impressively managed to thread this needle despite winning the state championship in the first season. Largely by cycling the roster and changing up the nature of the story (and oh my there were some clunker storylines in season two). They can win nationals and still have conflict because no one gives a poo poo about national glee club, because Sue Sylvester is still trying to shut them down, because the real star power all graduated and left, etc.

But once again, you have to follow the premise and not the characters. By and large the graduates in Friday Night Lights were shuffled off-screen (except for The Greatest Texan, Taylor Kitsch) because it was both appropriate to the premise and kept things fresh. I would have loved to watch the version of Glee where Finn comes back to replace Schuester (and clearly this is where things were going), but in general I'm a sucker for passing-of-the-torch storylines. Ask me about my season eight West Wing fanfic anytime, I can even edit out the explicit sex scenes between Josh, Donna, Ted, and Larry.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I'd say one of the key differences between Glee and FNL is that the Taylors were the heart and soul of their show (making it that much easier to stick to them instead of the teenage cast), while most of the viewing audience was pretty well apathetic toward, if not grossed out by, Will Schuester by midway through the 2nd season. In order to follow the premise and not the characters, he'd have to be the backbone and I just can't imagine any way for that to be successful in the long-run.

And obviously, Finn was being groomed to replace him, but logically* that couldn't have actually happened in full until Finn had, you know, gone to college.

*(Glee has never operated on any level that could be remotely construed as 'logical'.)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Legit on FXX was canceled :mad:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Legit on FXX was canceled :mad:
That really sucks.

Legit is (was) a criminally underrated show, and it didn't deserve to be tossed into the cesspool that is FXX -- where it immediately lost half its viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
ChoZen got axed as well. I gave up on it 2-3 eps in, it just didn't hook me. Guess I wasn't alone.

• Locked thread