Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shakugan posted:

I still weep that Snyder was given control. What could have been if they'd assigned a competent director :sigh:

Zack Snyder owns, fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

computer parts posted:

Snyder is a perfectly competent and interesting director and not everything has to be a :nolan: grim dark fest.

Man of Steel WAS a :nolan: style grim dark fest though. He might be a competent director, but he's certainly not a GOOD director. This is the guy who directed Sucker Punch, remember?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Competent is what gets you the Marvel movies: by-the-numbers adaptations in a fairly bland style. Snyder actually has vision, which sometimes doesn't come together (Sucker Punch), but is worth it when you get something amazing (Man of Steel).

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sucker Punch is a flawed movie, but not a bad one by any means. I'll watch that a hundred times before I watch The Avengers again.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey guess what this forum isn't? Cinema Discusso!

Guess what this thread isn't? A Man of Steel thread!

Anyways I'm most interested in Community's chances moving forward, since this season is shaping up to be the best ever. A 1.1 is fairly stable but I'm concerned NBC is gonna nuke their whole Thursday block over trying for the zillionth time to get it going again with new shows that inevitably fail.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Yoshifan823 posted:

Sucker Punch is a flawed movie, but not a bad one by any means. I'll watch that a hundred times before I watch The Avengers again.

Its really boring

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Occupation posted:

Hey guess what this forum isn't? Cinema Discusso!

Guess what this thread isn't? A Man of Steel thread!

This has nothing on what happened in the Arrow thread that one time

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm praying Almost Human gets a second season. Yes it's a bit bland but with the chemistry the cast has and what is still a good premise there's a lot of potential in it if it survives. It's an unfair world if Almost Human dies while Agents of SHIELD survives. I don't even hate SHIELD, it just needs much better writing.

You may want to adjust your expectations. AH didn't get a backorder which makes its odds of renewal incredibly small.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Psych's current season will officially be its last, which everyone probably saw coming.

The R/CI is basically unchanged except that Rake is listed as certain to be cancelled on Fox.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Last season of Psych? Why have I not seen this coming, the show is awesome!

Vulture reported that the MJF show has been canceled, but then later updated the story saying that it has not been canceled.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/02/nbc-yanking-michael-j-fox-comedy-from-thursdays.html

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NBC is apparently looking for a place on the schedule after April 3rd. It's not officially canceled, but it's so close the distinction is effectively meaningless.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

MrAristocrates posted:

NBC is apparently looking for a place on the schedule after April 3rd. It's not officially canceled, but it's so close the distinction is effectively meaningless.

Exactly. Whether it's a summer burn-off on Saturdays a la Smash or they give it a lead-in from The Voice, there will not be a second season. You don't post the lowest numbers on the network and get a renewal. This show will go down as one of the greater tremendously massive failures in a season filled with them. Vive la NBC!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Exactly. Whether it's a summer burn-off on Saturdays a la Smash or they give it a lead-in from The Voice, there will not be a second season. You don't post the lowest numbers on the network and get a renewal. This show will go down as one of the greater tremendously massive failures in a season filled with them. Vive la NBC!

Is it really seen as that big of a failure? I love MJF, so I gave the show a shot, it was pretty boring. It bought back some familiar faces through. Did NBC and outsiders really think this was going to be huge enough for it to be seen as a great failure?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I cared about that show quite a bit pre-season, but I couldn't get into it. It's a shame, because I think everyone really wanted it to succeed.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Femur posted:

Is it really seen as that big of a failure? I love MJF, so I gave the show a shot, it was pretty boring. It bought back some familiar faces through. Did NBC and outsiders really think this was going to be huge enough for it to be seen as a great failure?

It was a white-hot commodity during pilot season some years back and NBC guaranteed a full 22-ep order to get the show over the other networks. They fought hard for it and spent millions to have the show barely register a blip, and now they're contractually obligated to air the remaining eps and they're struggling with it. It is nothing short of a historic failure and maybe the biggest red mark on Bob Greenblatt's tenure at NBC.

To the casual observer, it makes it look like Michael J Fox isn't a bankable commodity. Think about that. Now remember that they did the same thing to Matthew Perry last season.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

To the casual observer, it makes it look like Michael J Fox isn't a bankable commodity.

To be fair, he isn't--at least not as a sitcom star. The Michael J. Fox show is a terrible sitcom for many reasons and one of biggest is the contrast between the fluffiness of the jokes and the severity of Fox's illness.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

It was a white-hot commodity during pilot season some years back and NBC guaranteed a full 22-ep order to get the show over the other networks. They fought hard for it and spent millions to have the show barely register a blip, and now they're contractually obligated to air the remaining eps and they're struggling with it. It is nothing short of a historic failure and maybe the biggest red mark on Bob Greenblatt's tenure at NBC.

To the casual observer, it makes it look like Michael J Fox isn't a bankable commodity. Think about that. Now remember that they did the same thing to Matthew Perry last season.

The same thing will probably happen with the new Cosby show as well.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I didn't think of it like that, but I see your point, MJF probably performed great on pew surveys or whatever market execs use. But traditional family sitcoms have been out of vogue for awhile, I am really surprise they thought this had a chance. That and like Irish Joe said, if it wasn't MJ, I probably wouldn't want to watch a main character who is handicapped like that.

Femur fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 7, 2014

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm sure being up against Two and a Half Men didn't help anything, either. If NBC wants its shows to do well, it could stand to not throw them all into a suicide gauntlet against CBS's Thursday nights.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
I got selected to fill out a Nielsen ratings journal! Of course, any other week I'd usually watch Community and Parks and Rec tonight, but they just happen to send me the journal the week the Olympics start...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FadingChord posted:

I'm sure being up against Two and a Half Men didn't help anything, either. If NBC wants its shows to do well, it could stand to not throw them all into a suicide gauntlet against CBS's Thursday nights.

CBS just got NFL for next season on Thursdays. Nobody will be able to compete with that at all. And this means their juggernaut shows will go and kill another night. CBS can't be stopped.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So with CBS getting the Thursday Night Football package next year, how much do you guys anticipate their primetime lineup changing, if at all?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Benne posted:

So with CBS getting the Thursday Night Football package next year, how much do you guys anticipate their primetime lineup changing, if at all?

BBT moving to Mondays into HIMYM's timeslot seems like the easiest slide-over, maybe taking The Millers with it. Then maybe Crazy Ones/2.5Men over to Friday 8-9PM?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
An important thing to note is that CBS only gets the first 8 games of TNF, the rest are only on NFL Network (the first 8 are also simulcast on NFLN).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The US version of 'X Factor' is apparently dead, with Simon headed back to the UK to do their version again.

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/foxs-x-factor-ends-as-simon-cowell-returns-to-the-x-factor-uk

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

To put it into context I think this might be overall one of the costliest and most embarrassing failures in network history. I'm trying to think about it but I don't think a network has been so assured they had a hit on their hands, to the point where they not only ordered it to series but for a full season sight unseen, and have it fail so utterly. The only other examples that come to mind in network history are Terra Nova and the XFL.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Michael J. Fox hasn't been bankable since Spin City wrapped; his cameos on shows like Scrubs have been novelties, little more. People only give a poo poo about him if he's doing Back to the Future nostalgia callbacks (which is just depressing).

As for Matthew Perry, his career pretty much tanked after The Whole Nine / Ten Yards, which was more than ten years ago, and it's not like anyone really paid much attention to Studio 60.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Occupation posted:

To put it into context I think this might be overall one of the costliest and most embarrassing failures in network history.
Meh. This is the network that once sacrificed it's 10pm hour for the entire week to The Jay Leno Show. Having a failed sitcom with a few extra episodes than their other failed sitcoms is barely a blip on the NBC failure radar. Ir probably cost less to develop one 22-episode failure than one 13-episode failure and another to serve as a mid-season replacement.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Michael J. Fox hasn't been bankable since Spin City wrapped; his cameos on shows like Scrubs have been novelties, little more. People only give a poo poo about him if he's doing Back to the Future nostalgia callbacks (which is just depressing).

He actually is one of the best recurring guests on The Good Wife, as a sleazeball corporate lawyer who uses his disability to sway juries. I hope he does some more appearances if that gets a renewal.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Tortolia posted:

He actually is one of the best recurring guests on The Good Wife, as a sleazeball corporate lawyer who uses his disability to sway juries. I hope he does some more appearances if that gets a renewal.

He is supposed to be coming back to The Good Wife, according to some blurb I read somewhere.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

He is supposed to be coming back to The Good Wife, according to some blurb I read somewhere.

:neckbeard: At least his show being cancelled has lead to some good news.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
This apparently slipped by me unnoticed and it's weeks-old news, but Killer Women did so poorly that its 8-episode order was cut to 6, so obviously it's done. This has not been a good season for new shows, and an outright terrible season for ABC.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
doo doot, doo doot doo doooo IT'S TUESDAY
doo doot, doo doot doo doooo RENEWED OR CANCELLED
doo doot, doo doot doot LET'S FIND OUT

Y'know what? It's February, right? Enough chatter about things we know for sure. Let's talk bubble shows!

CBS - The only show officially on the bubble on the R/CI is The Good Wife. It's in its 5th season, slowly shedding viewers, and has one of the oldest median viewer ages on television. It's a solid performer on Sundays and remains well-received, but is that enough for a sixth season? I'm surprised to not see Two and a Half Men on the bubble and frankly I think it's a likely cancellation. It's ancient (11 seasons!), long since syndicated, and no longer delivers the numbers to justify its burgeoning expense.

ABC - Suburgatory just inched up to a likely renewal off the bubble, joining The Goldbergs and leaving Nashville behind. I think they only seem likely to be renewed because they're on the dumpster fire that is ABC 2013-14, the logic being "well they can't cancel everything, right?" which I happen to agree with! Nashville, by that same logic, seems more likely to be renewed than cancelled but the numbers suggest it's firmly on the bubble. It's worth noting that the songs from the show are a solid source of secondary revenue for the network.

Fun facts: of the 10 shows ABC debuted this season, 8 are guaranteed cancellations, 3 have set records for low ratings, and 4 have already been cancelled without completing their run, 2 of which were billed as miniseries! ABC, y'all.

NBC - Here's when Occupation wakes up, because perennial bubble show Community is back again along with Revolution and Parenthood. Revolution is a curious case, as it's clearly a very expensive show that tanked hard in the second half of its first season (having lost The Voice as a lead-in) and never recovered, yet somehow (spoiler: it's NBC) it's still right at the network average. It's off-brand for the network and has lost nearly all mainstream attention but its numbers are solid if unspectacular. Parenthood should be given a sixth season strictly as an apology for having the network's two lowest-rated shows as a lead-in, and an incompatible lead-in at that, not to mention on its debut in a new timeslot. If it isn't renewed, it will be due to the neglect of the network and nothing else. It's stabilized above a 1.0 and given the odds it's been up against that's remarkable. The only change in Community's story from each of its last 4 seasons is that the quality of the show has skyrocketed from last season's gas leak: it's still against Idol and BBT, it still is in the same timeslot, and is still getting the same ratings and remains nearly impossible to call but given that exactly zero new NBC comedies will survive the season I'd lean towards renewal. A quick note that Dracula has no business being anything but a certain cancellation and Parks & Rec has been all but formally renewed.

Fun fact: Community and Parks & Rec are the last NBC comedies to get a third season since 2009 (and I can only think of two that got a second and Up All Night really shouldn't count).

Fox - Almost Human did not get a back nine order and Bones is headed back to Mondays and has been renewed, so AH is off the bubble and likely to be cancelled. I think it's more than just "likely". Rake is certain to be cancelled despite being higher up on the network average than The Mindy Project, which remains on the bubble because Fuckin Bill Gorman has the weirdest blind spot for that show. Unless he starts revealing the information he has that we don't, I'm going to start wildly speculating as to why.

CW - The Tomorrow People and Reign remeign (get it?) on the bubble, and have nearly identical ratings. This is too close to call until the rest of the CW's midseason premieres. Also I don't really care.

DISCUSS!!

e: Oh beans. Thanks Timby, I'm literally that terrible with names.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 11, 2014

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Y'know what? It's February, right? Enough chatter about things we know for sure. Let's talk bubble shows!

Fox - Almost Human did not get a back nine order and Bones is headed back to Mondays and has been renewed, so AH is off the bubble and likely to be cancelled. I think it's more than just "likely". Rake is certain to be cancelled despite being higher up on the network average than The Mindy Project, which remains on the bubble because Fuckin Bob Gorman has the weirdest blind spot for that show. Unless he starts revealing the information he has that we don't, I'm going to start wildly speculating as to why.

DISCUSS!!

This makes me sad. I don't like Syfy (!) normally but Almost Human is consistently amusing enough to watch and is really the only new show I enjoyed other than Brooklyn-99. It's probably too expensive for Fox at this point though and I don't see anyone else picking it up like with their cancelled animated shows. Rake seemed to by the book. Kinnear is very charismatic and makes the show somewhat enjoyable, but fatally flawed addict who is amazing at his job has been done before. Bones has been dumb since day 1. I don't give a poo poo at all about any of the other shows being cancelled.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Fuckin Bob Gorman

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Not Robert Gorman

Just pointing this out...

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

CW - The Tomorrow People and Reign remeign (get it?) on the bubble, and have nearly identical ratings. This is too close to call until the rest of the CW's midseason premieres. Also I don't really care.

DISCUSS!!

e: Oh beans. Thanks Timby, I'm literally that terrible with names.

I thought Reign had weird international cash pouring in which makes it less likely to be cancelled.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It was touched on in the OP, but how many different devices does Nielson use for TV ratings? I've done the paper journals before, and a friend has actual boxes on each of his TVs. They're just tiny microphones with cellular transmitters in them from what we can tell. I thought they had boxes that monitored how many people were in each room? How does a microphone even know what you're watching? Maybe there is a more detailed site that goes into these things?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Suburgatory's budget cuts have really hurt the show and, to be perfectly honest, cancellation would be a kindness.

I know popular opinion is that ABC can't cancel everything, but that's the kind of backwards thinking that led to NBC's Thursday night tire fire. Modern Family and The Middle are pulling in good numbers, but they're both getting up there in seasons. Modern Family has, at most, another three years left. ABC needs to take advantage of its numbers to establish a successor to carry the night, and Suburgatory simply isn't it. Better to cancel Suburgatory now than let it take up the spot of a show that could pull good numbers and carry the night once MF is done.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Last night Fox got clobbered by the Olympics, with every show hitting series lows and Dads tying with a Goldbergs repeat to end its run. Looks like FX had the right idea with giving its originals a few weeks off. The article notes that Killer Women was stable but at a 0.7 who gives a poo poo?

sbaldrick posted:

I thought Reign had weird international cash pouring in which makes it less likely to be cancelled.

The particulars of how a show is financed mainly become a factor as it gets closer to syndication. I also can't speak to that specific fact as this is the first I'm hearing of it. Regardless, if a show's ratings aren't there it doesn't matter who's footing the production bill.

Irish Joe posted:

I know popular opinion is that ABC can't cancel everything, but that's the kind of backwards thinking that led to NBC's Thursday night tire fire.

A few factors to consider here:
1. They really can't. They don't have enough shows in development to fill all of the slots where they're losing viewers and switching those hours to unscripted would hurt their brand even more. The alternative of rushing series to development would be an even costlier and riskier idea, especially considering that
2. Even if they did, their freshman success rate this season is a strong indicator that their problems start all the way back when they're picking up pilots and optioning to order. Replacing even more 1.5-2.0s with 0.6-0.9s is the last thing they want to do.

Oh and they're going to keep making Modern Family until the cast demands more than they're able to pay so expect at least 10 seasons.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
The Mindy Project is terrible and deserves to be cancelled.

• Locked thread