Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
OOC Thread

The frost of winter has given way to the slush of February's warmer weather, yet the air is still cold and the sun selfish with its warmth. But today is a glorious day nonetheless, for Sir Elad, the Marshall of Salisbury, Castellan of Vagon Castle, and trainer to the county's squires, has recognized your skill, temperament, and service as dutiful squires. And so today is the best of all days, for after dinner at the hall of Earl Roderick himself, Elad will present you as candidates for knighthood.

The hall is festooned with banners and trophies of the hunt. Servants carry platters of suckling pigs, roast venison, and bear steaks to the long tables. Jugs of wine and ale clatter and slosh freely. And though you note the more sumptuous platters travel only to the tables near the throne, the food brought to you far at the end is still more delectable than you are used to. The mood is warm and merry, the music bright and rousing, and winter is completely forgotten for a couple of hours.

And then suddenly, from his throne, Earl Roderick claps his hands and silence descends. He calls out to the high table, the one nearest his throne, and asks the lords present if they know any man deserving of knighthood. Sir Elad rises and answers, "In truth, I wot well six men. Squires true, they are well ready to take the spurs and the sword in your service."

The Earl nods and barks, "Then gather them forth."

Sir Elad waves you up and lines you before the high table, after which the Earl whispers to the herald by his throne. The herald unfurls a scroll and cries out, "Bledri, come forth and kneel before the throne."

A servant steps forth and places a bundle by the Earl's feet, consisting of mail, a shield, spurs, and a sword. Reading further from the scroll, the herald says, "Be it known to all men that I, Earl Roderick of Salisbury, am minded to raise Bledri by virtue of his honor, loyalty, valor, and skill at arms, to the high rank of knighthood."

He lowers the scroll and asks, "Bledri, do you swear and acknowledge Earl Roderick of Salisbury to be your true and lawful liege?" Note the proper response is "I do so swear."

Upon Bledri's assent, he continues. "Do you also swear fealty to Uther Pendragon, to defend and obey him until he depart the throne, or death shall take you?" Again, the proper response is "I do so swear."

Earl Roderick rises and stands before Bledri. "Let this be the last blow you receive without just recourse," he says, then strikes him a blow strong enough to knock him to the floor. You of course want to get back on your knees, but this time, with your hands out and raised palms up.

The herald intones, "Repeat after me: 'I, Bledri, do solemnly swear and pledge my sword to Earl Roderick, my liege, to defend and obey him until he depart his demesnes or death shall take me, and to uphold the honor of knighthood.'”

Upon Bledri's recitation, the Earl smiles and addresses him thus: "And I, for my part, do swear to defend and honor Bledri as befits a true knight." He takes the sword from the floor and lightly taps Bledri on both shoulders. "I dub thee Sir Bledri. Receive now your spurs, your right to suitable arms, and take this, my sword, to your side to serve and defend me well. Arise, Sir Knight." As he speaks, Earl Roderick hands him his spurs and shield, then sheathes the sword and girds it onto Sir Bledri.

He receives the rest of the squires in turn, making them knights in his service, then presenting them to the hails and applause of the hall. Soon, a cry goes out---"Leap! Leap! Leap!" and, laughing, Earl Roderick orders the new knights to dress in their mail and spurs. You know this custom well: fully caparisoned, you will dash from the door of the Earl's manor to your horse outside. Leap onto the saddle and prove your quality, or land on your backside in the mud and provide entertainment. Either way, everyone is watching.

OOC: For your first post, recite your oaths of knighthood per the above, then go ahead and make the Leap! You want to roll equal to or below your DEX score. Make it and you get 10 extra points of Glory. If you want to mingle or do anything else afterward, go ahead and post it. You have no duty assigned yet, so can hang out at Roderick's hall or leave as you like.

Edit: Also, please put your character's name at the top of each post.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
OOC: Oh, that roll counts, EclecticTastes, that roll counts. Also, thanks, DCB---saved me from my forgetting to mention you probably already knew each other!

As the new coterie of knights exchanges pleasantries, some of the notables come up to congratulate them. They poke gentle fun at those who missed the Leap (or in Rhun's case, at his horse's refusal to budge once leapt upon). As for Sir Owain, the cheers and applause from the crowd are great indeed... but greater still is that the Earl himself, a huge grin on his face, claps his hand to Owain's back and cries out, "Well done! Truly the blood of a knight pumps in your veins."

OOC: No rules for a critical Leap success, but there should be, so Owain gets to add another 10 Glory to represent the Earl taking notice of your supernatural leaping prowess.

Briant breaks away to introduce himself with the other knights and nobles present, but for some reason, they are distant. Most of them want to get to know that heroic Owain fellow or the exuberant pagan knight, who managed both a skillful Leap and to provide a few laughs regardless. Sir Elad sighs, a world-weary exhalation Briant has heard (and indeed, himself often elicited) from the Marshall's lips many a time. He leans in and whispers harshly, "Be bold on the field of battle, but meek in the company of your betters, and mayhap you may find yourself styled a man worth speaking with."

Suddenly, he feels a hearty clap on his shoulder. "Brother!" cries the sibilant voice of Sir Floridas. "Wot well I had not missed your knighting, save I was on the Earl's business tending to tales of a great bear plaguing the peasants of Imber. Such exaggerations, the bear was scarcely half again taller than a man!" He turns Briant to face him and says merrily, "But tell me, did you make the Leap? Not so hard as Sir Elad warned, was it?"

Elad grins. "Ah, now here is knightly company indeed. Tell us of your adventure serving the Earl in Imber."

There is a little time before sunset and the Earl has not required your service at the moment, so you are free to mingle, to head to your manors, or even just retire at the Earl's hall for the night as you choose. Feel free to make Courtesy, Dance, or other relevant rolls to show how well you comported yourself at the hall (or be wallflowers and don't make any rolls, choice is yours).

The following people of note are in attendance. You are free to make Courtesy rolls to make your introduction and try to earn their trust.

• Earl Roderick, your liege lord
  • Sir Elad, Marshall of Salisbury, Castellan of Vagon Castle, and trainer to squires
  • Sir Amig of Tilshead, a veteran knight with the battle scars to prove it, recently granted Tilshead Castle in order to defend against the evils of the woods nearby
  • Sir Hwyel, Banneret of West Lavington, rich in property and with only a young daughter, who will inherit immense wealth one day
  • Sir Jaradan, a young knight but much renowned, reckoned the best swordsman in Salisbury
  • Sir Floridas, a knight loved as much for his graciousness as his bravery
  • Countess Ellen, the Earl's wealthy wife and the daughter of the Countess of Silchester
  • Lady Jenna, the Earl's daughter, still a couple of years too young for marriage, but already knights bend the Earl's ear to convince them her hand should eventually be theirs

We will wrap up and move to the first actual assignment shortly.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 30, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Hobnobbing and Mingling

Sir Hywel is somewhat surprised, but pleased at Rhun's combination of bold approach and humble---but not deprecatory---speech. "We are all in service to our lord, the Earl, but some do forget that service to him sometimes means service to one another. Glad I am you are not such a knight, though I know not what advice I may give that such excellent knights as Sir Elad and Sir Amig, and the others entrusted to your training, have not passing well parted to you."

Meanwhile, Sir Elad barely has a chance to ask Floridas the bear hunt before Briant interrupts him, eliciting a frown from the Marshall. But Floridas fair beams at Briant's words, and clasping his hand to his cousin's, exclaims, "Your humility does you credit, my brother of the sword! Always are you welcome at my manor for what instruction I may provide. But come, let us hie to Sir Hywel. Many grovel and simper before him, but in truth, I have found him ever a forthright and humble man such as yourself."

And so Rhun finds his conversation with Sir Hywel with a pair of extra ears. Floridas waits politely for a lull in conversation before introducing Briant, declaring the deep bond between the two and predicting that great deeds are in the new knight's near future. Hywel looks at Briant appraisingly, then smiles slightly and engages for a while in meaningless but friendly conversation for a few minutes. Then Sir Lycus, one of the older knights, summons Sir Hywel away to speak in confidence. Hywel claps Rhun's shoulder, saying to Rhun, "Speak with me when next we are gathered at court, and tell me how you have fared" and simply waving to Briant.

Unfortunately for Owain, this is the exact moment he chooses to approach Sir Hywel to introduce himself. The banneret frowns and says, "Another time, perhaps, Sir Bowen," and then he is off, disappearing with Lycus and several other knights of renown into the castle's chambers. Ah well. At least the Earl seems to be fond of Owain's company.

Pellogres sees Floridas step away from Hywel and the other knights, which gives him a chance to approach. The knight laughs merrily at Pellogres' kneeling and, grabbing his hand, hoists him up and claps both shoulders. "Good sir Pellogres, I am no lord, but a knight no greater or less than yourself. Do not bend a knee to me. Rather take a cup of wine as I will do and tell me how went the knighting ceremony this day. My heart is sore at missing it."

As for the Earl, Derek's fervent wish to do his family credit unfortunately remains a wish only. The grace and quickness his feet so nimbly displayed at dance apparently are not qualities his tongue shared. The Earl is kind enough to give him a moment to compose himself, but quickly grows impatient. "Out with it, man!" he says. "Have you not suffered my fist and yet cried not nor neither quaked a jot? Then speak your mind or speak not." Derek hears the titter of ladies' laughter behind him.

Sir Jaradan meanwhile has eschewed courtly company and lingers apart with several women that Bledri recognizes as servants and maids. He raises an eyebrow at his approach. "Yes, well met, Sir... Bledri, right?" Jaradan says. "Is there aught you wish of me? I have pressing business." He nods meaningfully at an auburn-haired scullery maid.

OOC: Your PCs can make any last remarks, but we are otherwise moving on. Rhun and Briant both made favorable impressions with Sir Hywel, but Rhun got the lion's share of his attention. Bledri, Derek, and Owain haven't made an impression at all on Jaradan, Roderick, and Hywel respectively, but at least they haven't got on their bad sides. (Roderick's always a bit gruff, don't take it personally, and Jaradan is just Jaradan: he's a dashing, skilled knight and he knows it.) Owain did make a good impression with the Earl at least. Pellogres, Floridas thinks you're aces at the moment, but he is pretty friendly to begin with, after all.

Summoned to Sarum

Two weeks from your knighting, you are called on your first real duty in the service of Earl Roderick and Salisbury. You are summoned to appear in Sarum on a Thursday morning to assist Sir Elad on patrol. This is a regular, if routine, duty of the knights of the county, and especially the younger knights. While sometimes one comes across bandits, Saxons, or even a foreign knight of ill intent, Sir Elad also uses patrol duty as a way to help newer knights learn the lay of the land from corner to corner.

So it is early on the last Thursday of February you take breakfast with the Marshall on a plain table, hastily set up outside the Earl's hall and set with a board of dark rye bread, cheese, and a few strips of boiled beef. A flagon of weak ale accompanies the repast before you. The Marshall opens conversation by saying, "We have much ground to cover today, and will not dine again till the day is half-done, if not later. So eat well, but quickly! And have out with any questions. I know well some of you have never wandered east of Sarum even a mile, after all."

OOC: Sir Elad isn't really that rushed, despite his words, so feel free to ask any questions you have for him or to converse with one another. Make sure you tell me if you are bringing anything unusual on this trip, or *not* taking something (e.g., leaving a horse or two behind).

Your standard gear on patrol would be your charger (which you're riding on), a rouncy for your squire and the bulk of your gear), a sword, two spears, a dagger, your armor, personal gear, and travel gear.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 2, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The Festivities Wind Down

Sir Jaradan bids a Bledri distracted goodbye and cups the chin of the scullery maid, who blushes and whispers to him words Bledri is sure he is not meant to overhear.

Breaking Bread With the Marshall

Sir Elad answers, "A simple enough affair. We will travel by the river Bourne through the eastern valley, there to look for bandits or villainy being done, and to keep well the Earl's borders. It is not only Saxons who sneak and raid, but sometime a knight sworn to another lord will come a-spying or a-pillaging. And on the very borders you may hap upon a guard post that was not there last season. That, too, deserves our care."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Sir Elad Speaks

"Ah well, even quiet neighbors may have restless knights," says Sir Elad. He continues, a twinkle in his eye, "And daring into another lord's land, seeing how far you can go before spied and chased out... that can be good sport." Serious again, he adds, "For a young knight. Or so I am told. Not that any such foolishness will happen today."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - Patrolling the Bourne

Sir Elad chuckles at Briant's declaration. "Keep that vigor and readiness upon you, young Sir Briant, and you will accord yourself well today," he says. "As I expect all of you will. Now, I go to my horse, and when you have done with breaking your fast, do you likewise and we shall ride."

About a quarter of an hour more sees the knights out of the gates of Sarum and down the road to the valley of the Bourne. The air is crisp and cool in your lungs, and the grass wet with sparkling dew enchants the eye as your company rides at a moderate pace down the old Roman road that follows the river more or less half its length, then curves further northeast through the Chute Forest and to the very borders of Salisbury and Levcomagus. This you all well know, though never have you had reason take the road this far before.

Rhun finds much of the early day's ride familiar going, for he alone of the knights grew up in an eastern manor: fair Broughton, nestled along a tributary of the Test River and a short ride from the castle Du Plain. The others spent their youth and squiring days in the western valley, somewhat more heavily dotted with manors and villages than the eastern half of the county. Sir Elad points out the manors that dot every mile or so along the road by the river, sometimes calling on Rhun to test his knowledge. By noon, however, they have just crossed the stone bridge over the Bourne and none of the knights find much of the scenery unfamiliar.

After an hour or so more, Elad stops the party and his lectures so that you may have lunch. His squire brings out savory pies of beef, onion, and gravy, apples from the Earl's own garden, and white Cheshire cheese. This is a heartier meal than you used to have as a squire (indeed, Elad's squire and your own share a loaf of dark bread and some of the cheese as their repast) and tastier besides.

OOC: You may make a roll against your Temperate trait if you so desire. You only gain an experience check if you make a critical roll, and if you fumble, you both get a check for Indulgent *and* will overeat, which will give you a -2 penalty to any combat action.

As you finish lunch, washing down food with bitter beer or cool water from a nearby stream, your company is suddenly interrupted. A young man on a pony gallops from the meadows toward your company, pulling up sharply a few yards away and crying for aid. "Knights of Roderick, alack and alarum! Enemy knights have taken to the fields outside of Allington to raid our villages! Pray ride and meet them!"

Before his entreaty is done, the Marshall is already on his feet and halfway toward his charger. "Mount up, knights of Salisbury! Today we mete the Earl's justice as a knight should, by spear and sword!" In a few minutes, the young knights are riding down the rolling green of Allington's land; scant minutes later, they spy the gleam of sun-touched metal along the field. A party of seven fully-caparisoned knights canter through the mud and grass, spears in their hands and swords fastened upon their saddles.

The knights see and hear you approach at the same time you do them. They yell to one another and quickly start to turn to face you. Sir Elad draws you up short and speedily directs to you a wedge formation. "Use spear or sword as you see fit," he instructs you, "But set yourself or draw, for we ride NOW!"

With a raised sword and a lusty shout, Elad leads the charge! Each of your enemy number couches a spear under their arm and gallops forth in a counter-charge. Now is your first true fight against a peer---no quintain or wooden sword now, or even common bandit. This is a fight of men and steel before God and your fellows.

OOC: This battle is going to be fought using Skirmish rules. This is a small-scale mass combat, which means that the commanders on either side---in this case, Sir Elad and a corresponding enemy knight---will make a Battle roll. The outcome of that roll can affect your combat skills.

In this case, Elad rolled a 3 against a Battle of 15, which is a simple success with no modifier. For simplicity's sake, we will say the enemy knight similarly rolled a plain success.

What I will need from each of you is a decision as to which weapon you use, whether you're using any special tactic (listed below), and of course, for you to make and link to your weapon roll.

You have two weapon options here:
1) Use your spear as a makeshift lance. You will do 6d6 damage. Ordinarily, you would also have +5 bonus against your enemy, but this doesn't apply
if he is also charging you with a spear or lance (which the enemy knights are all doing). If you successfully hit and roll an odd number for damage, or if you fumble, your spear breaks. You can either take a full round to draw your sword or take a -5 penalty, and give your opponent a +5 bonus, if you draw and attack in the same round.
2) Use your sword. You will roll your Damage statistic without any bonus or penalty. Your sword will not break even if you fumble, and if you tie in an opposed roll against someone wielding any other weapon, your sword will break their weapon.

Other notes:
Switching Weapons: You can either take a full round to draw your sword or take a -5 penalty, and give your opponent a +5 bonus, if you draw and attack in the same round.
Defensive: You can take +10 to your relevant weapon skill for a roll, but you do not inflict any damage regardless of how well you roll. (This does not hurt your Honor or Glory, by the way: knights may be a bit crazy, but they're not stupid. Well, not
that stupid anyway.)
Uncontrolled Attack: You can take +10 to your relevant weapon skill, but cannot use your shield. You can't use this on a charge. Also, your opponent may choose to strike his blow first or opt to go on Defensive.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - The Melee Begins

Derek

Spears locked, Sir Derek bravely tilts at the foe charging before him. Unfortunately, luck is not with the young knight. His spear shatters in twain upon contact, whereas his enemy's spear impacts heartily on Sir Derek's breast. His mind explodes with pain and he struggles to keep seated as his horse swings around.

OOC: Okay, that's the first example of combat! So let's break down what happened.

Dereku fumbled on his roll. His opponent has a Lance of 15 and rolls a 10. That is a success, and since Derek failed (actually, worse: a fumble!), the enemy knight is the winner and thus the one dealing damage.

The damage from a charge with a spear or lance is 6d6. The knight rolls 22 for damage.

Sir Derek thankfully is wearing armor. The armor reduces damage by 10 points, so he winds up taking 12 hits points of damage. That is less than his CON of 13, so this is only considered a light wound, not a major wound. But it is equal to his SIZ, which means dereku must roll vs. Horsemanship to see if he is knocked off of his horse.

Rhun

Sir Rhun fares somewhat better. His enemy has good aim with his lance, but puts little power behind it. Rhun quickly brings his shield up to his chest and scarcely feels the blow at all.

OOC: The enemy knight also has Lance 15 and rolls an 11. We now have an example of a partial success. Both Rhun and the enemy knight successfully rolled under their Lance skill. Since this is an opposed roll, the success goes to whomever rolled the higher number, but still under their skill. The 11 beats Rhun's 5, so the enemy knight is victorious this round.

Rolling for damage: 12

Since DCB did roll a partial success, his knight can use his shield. His armor alone reduces damage by 10 points and the shield grants another 6 points, so Rhun is completely unharmed.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 5, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - First Round Continues

Briant

On the other side of the melee, Briant eschews the spear for the sword, but cannot find a solid opening to strike under the other knight's spear. But at least Briant is quick enough to twist away from the biting spear and strike the spear with his shield as the rider lunged, causing the wooden shaft to crack and shatter into several pieces on the ground. His opponent calls Briant's mother an unspeakable name in response.

OOC: Keep in mind that your opponent gets a +5 to his effective Lance skill since he's attacking someone not charging back with a lance/spear. He has a modified Lance 20 and rolls a 15. Ironically, if he hadn't got the +5 bonus, the enemy knight would have just scored a critical! (That's 12d6 damage.) As it is, he receives a normal success and wins this round.

Luckily, the knight just rolls for normal damage: 15 Briant can use his shield, so after 10 points for armor and another 6 for the shield, that's no damage at all. Plus the spear breaks, so the enemy knight's going to spend time rearming next round.

Also, you can roll against Love (Family) or Honor based on the untoward allegation the other knight just made toward Briant's mother.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - The Battle Continues

Owain

With a mighty cry, Sir Owain dashes upon his chosen foe. The knight seems somewhat unnerved, but sets his spear and returns the charge. Faster than a man could blink, the point of Owain's spear bites deeply into the enemy's throat and lifts him off his horse entirely! He falls from Owain's spear as the victorious knight stops a couple of yards away, blood gushing from neck, mouth, and nose, his body still as a corpse (as he may well be).

OOC: Enemy knight's Lance 15: 18 That's a failure. Owain wins decisively!

The enemy knight takes 42 hits - 10 armor (no shield) for a whopping 32 hit points total. Well done! You get an experience check for Lance.

Bledri

Perhaps it was the exhiliration of battle, or maybe the sun glinted off the enemy's helm at the wrong moment; whatever the cause, Bledri's spear strikes only air as the two knights pass. The enemy's point strikes his arm, but does not pierce his armor and Bledri barely feels the touch.

OOC: Enemy knight's Lance 15: 6 The enemy knight wins, and since you failed your roll, no shield to protect you this round.

Damage roll 6D6: 11 A mere one point of damage after your armor reduction. These knights are not putting enough muscle into their attacks.

Pellogres

The two knights thunder toward each other, but their spears each bounce harmlessly off the other's shield. The enemy knight wheels to face Sir Pellogres, drawing back his spear and readying to fight up close.

OOC: Enemy knight's Lance 15: 9 A tie! No one's hurt.

Round Two

The surviving knights lock themselves in battle, each side by side with one of you save Sir Owain. He alone has dispatched his counterpart, so he is free to assist any one of you that he chooses.

OOC: I'm preemptively rolling for round two. All of the enemy knights are going to draw their sword and attack this round. This is called a combined action (normally you take a full round to draw a weapon), which gives them a -5 to Sword and you a +5 to your weapon roll.

If you are readying a new weapon and attacking this round, too, then you and your opposing knight's modifiers cancel out, so roll normally. Briant already has his sword out, so gets the full benefit of the enemy's combined action. If you're using a spear instead of drawing your sword, then you also get the +5 bonus to attack this round.

Note that a spear does the same damage as a sword. The main issue is that the spear has a good chance of breaking, especially against a sword.

Also note that you can draw your sword and not attack this round. You are allowing the enemy an unopposed attack roll, though! But you can choose to combine the Defense maneuver with redrawing if you prefer; that still gives the -5/+5 penalty/enemy bonus, but you also get a +10 bonus to your weapon roll (no possibility of doing damage, though, even on a critical).

The enemy knights' rolls (each has Sword 15 normally):
Sir Bledri - 2
Sir Briant - 20
Sir Derek - 3
Sir Owain - none, but you may attack any enemy knight you wish with an unopposed roll
Sir Pellogres - 3
Sir Rhun - 10

I will apply modifiers, determine winner/loser, and roll for damage after you declare your actions and roll.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The Spring Slaughter Continues

With the spears thrown aside or broken, the knights close upon one another for the more personal, though no less deadly, exchange of sword upon sword. The melee is a hectic flash of steel in the sun, accompanied by a chorus of metal ringing upon metal. Most of the knights, including the raiders, do not quite connect or strike such glancing blows as to not even be felt. Pellogres does manage to nick his target, though perhaps it would be fairer to call it a scratch than a nick.

But Briant and Owain prove violent exceptions to the otherwise futile exchange. God seems to be on Briant's side, for his foe's sword flies from his hand and plants itself point-first in the wet earth some yards away. But it is his hot blood that serves Briant best:thick with fury at honor insulted, Briant's blade cleaves deep into the breast of the disparaging knight. He shrieks in anguish and grabs desperately at the rain, but his hands and face turn white as a cloud in May, and he slips gracelessly to the ground. Blood pours through the crack in his armor and his breaths are hard, ragged, and wet.

Owain meanwhile comes up to Rhun, who is barely avoiding the onslaught of his opponent. Owain's swordsmanship proves true and his blade bites deeply into the side of the pillager knight. Crying out in pain, the knight's face blanches and he staggers in his saddle. Yet he holds fast to the horn and stays alight. His face a rictus of pain, he calls out, "Mercy! Mercy!"

OOC: First off, Briant gets an experience check on Sword and on Honor.

The enemy knight on Rhun does 5d6: 14 damage minus 16 for armor and shield, so zero damage to Rhun.
As for the enemy knights who took damage, here's the breakdown:
  • Bledri's knight has 16 points armor + shield, so takes no damage
  • Briant's knight only has 16 10 points armor, and thus takes 19 25 damage and a major wound, plus roll for Knockdown (1d20: 13, successful)
  • Derek's knight also has 16 points armor + shield, so no damage
  • Owain took on Rhun's knight, who only uses his 10 points armor, so 15 damage and a major wound, plus roll for Knockdown (1d20: 6, successful)
  • Pellogres's knight has 16 points armor + shield, so 2 points damage
You might have noticed Briant's opponent passed his Knockdown roll, but still fell off his horse. That's because he failed his major wound roll to stay conscious and fell off anyway when he passed out.

The knight facing Owain and Rhun passed his major wound unconsciousness check, which means he must make a Valorous roll to summon the strength and courage to keep fighting offensively. These knights have Valorous 15, and the knight here rolled 1d20: 16, so he fails. He will fight only so much as is necessary to defend himself.

Round Three

The tide is turning in the young Salisbury knights' favor. Two foes are down, and the one surrounded by Briant and Rhun likely to thrown down arms if allowed. Sirs Bledri, Derek, and Pellogres each face a single knight. The battle is not yet won, but the raiders seem far less confident than but a few minutes before.

OOC: Nothing special to note about this round. Go ahead and post your actions, plus preemptive damage if relevant, and I'll have the results up when everyone's done.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 9, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - Round Three Continued

Briant races to the other side of Bledri's foe, who turns his head to each side nervously. He swings his sword wildly and ineffectually at both Salisbury knights. In turn, he receives a solid blow from the left and the right. His movements are somewhat slower now.

Owain's defeated opponent says nothing as the knight charges to stand with Pellogres. The enemy knight cannot sneak his blade past Pellogres's defense, but he does manage to raise his shield at the last moment and stave off Pellogres's blade. At the sound of Owain's approach, the knight turns his head toward the new enemy and swiftly snakes his sword to meet the new threat. He slips under Owain's guard and the young knight feels pain blossom in his chest. Looking down, he sees a few links torn and a red gash.

Meanwhile, Derek raised his sword arm with great vigor... and his sword flew with equal vigor from his grasp, landing he wot not where. His enemy grinned and started to attack, but then heard Rhun's shout and nervously slashed the air in front of Derek instead. He turned to Rhun, just in time for the pagan knight's savage thrust to pierce his mail and send him flying from his horse.

The knight lands on his head, spitting up blood to match that seeping through the armor. He raises his head for a moment. His eyes roll back in his head and his face turns white, and then his head falls back and he is silent.

OOC: Contested Sword roll results below. Each enemy knight is splitting his roll 8 and 7 versus his two opponents.
And damage results!
  • Bledri: hits, does 12 base-10 armor=2 damage
  • Briant: hits, does 18 base - 10 armor=8 damage
  • Derek: no damage and no sword
  • Owain: is hit, knight rolls Sword Damage: 5d6 24, Owain takes 24 damage - 10 armor=14 damage (lucky man, that was almost a crit!)
  • Pellogres: hits, does 16 base-16 armor and shield=zero damage
  • Rhun: hits, does 29 base-10 armor=19 damage, enemy knight rolls for Knockdown: 1d20 20 and fumbles, taking 5 damage, also for staying conscious due to Major Wound: 1d20 7 and passes, and finally Valorous: 1d20 15, where he scores a critical! Ruling he manages to get up immediately and keep on keepin' on fails (forgot to factor in Knockdown fall damage)

Go ahead and make your rolls for round four. Two knights left. You can only gang up two on one, though.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 12, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - Round Four

Bledri and Briant press the attack against the boxed-in knight. The enemy manages to keep Briant's blade at bay, but Bledri manages another small cut. Slowly they are wearing the man down, but it seems he still has a lot of fight left to give.

Owain rides off, leaving the enemy knight to keep his full attention on Pellogres, whose sword swings wide of the mark. Laughing confidently, the enemy swings his sword... and watches with horror as it flies from his hand, out of sight or reach.

Derek sees that the Owain spared had already started to ride off. The enemy sees Owain approach and laughs bitterly, but then stops and turns to the Salisbury knight, hands raised in surrender. As for Derek, he finds his sword and quickly dismounts to claim it.

Meanwhile, Rhun races his horse toward Sir Elad and comes onto the other side of his opponent. The Marshall exchanges blows, the enemy nicking the hardy old knight slightly. Rhun fares better, landing a strong blow on the foe's shoulder.

OOC:: Derek isn't going to be able to recover his sword *and* perform First Aid the same round. But you can save your roll for next round if you still wish to stabilize one of the fallen enemy knights.

Okay, combat! Let's go ahead and roll for Sir Elad: Sword 20: 1d20 6
Enemy knights' rolls and results: Damage:
  • Knight 1 takes 12 - 10 armor = 2 damage from Bledri.
  • Knight 2 takes no damage obviously.
  • Knight 3 takes 21-10 armor =11 damage from Rhun.
  • And bold Sir Elad himself takes 18 - 10 armor - 6 shield = 2 damage.

Round five has now begun. Holding off on rolls until you guys post, just in case the ganging-up arrangement changes.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - Round Five Begins

Bledri and Briant continue to rain blows on their foe. The enemy knight's is wild and parries naught but air, while Bledri lands a solid swing to the knight's left shoulder. Briant's sword is more precise: with a mighty blow, his sword pierces mail, bone, and flesh in the man's midsection.

The hapless knight's eyes roll back and his tongue lolls out limply as he suddenly goes slack. He falls roughly upon his head and his eyes close. His face is grey as ash and his body motionless.

OOC: The knight rolls Sword 8 and Sword 7: 2#1d20 18 18, so two failures. No shield protection for this poor fellow.

Bledri deals 18-10 armor=8 damage and Briant deals 26-10 armor=16 damage for a total of 24 damage this round. In addition, Briant infliced a Major Wound
and potential Knockdown. Basically, this guy is done for... but let's roll to see how badly: Knockdown/Major Wound: 2#1d20 3 13

Made the Knockdown save, but falls unconscious and off his horse anyway. That's another Falling off horse: 1d6 6 damage. You'll want to apply first aid to this guy and chirurgery later if you want a hostage to ransom.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - Round Five Continues

Seeing himself beset on all sides, Rhun's and Elad's opponent brings his shield close and saves his sword to block and parry. Sir Elad finds the defense frustrating and cannot break through, but Rhun manages another shallow cut. Grunting with displeasure, the knight grimly brings his sword back in line and prepares for the next exchange. "To the death I fight," he says with a growl, "whether it be mine or yours."

The knight facing Pellogres meanwhile has seen none but himself and his leader stand, and even that stalwart knight cannot seem to defend himself for long against the might of Salisbury's defenders. Swordless and desperate, he raises his right hand and cries out, "Hold! I yield!" to Pellogres.

OOC: Sir Elad's roll: Sword 20: 1d20 4
And the enemy knight's roll: Fighting Defensively Sword 13 and Sword 12: 2#1d20 6 4

Beats the Marshall, but not Rhun, who does 18-10 armor-6 shield=2 damage.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
OOC: Just to be clear, the only combat left is between Rhun, Elad, and the remaining knight. For everyone else, I'm going to let you reroll failed First Aid (Dereku, you can keep your success) and have you roll again once I put up the exact wounds the knights have taken. The reason for that is that you roll First Aid for every light wound (DCB discussed this in the IC thread; I'm just summarizing here).

Also, you still have Coins, which means you can ensure six successful First Aid rolls and if you're rolling on someone else's behalf, net yourself 50 extra Glory. The Coins will be wasted if you don't use them this scenario; since there's not likely to be any important rolls after these, I recommend taking advantage. You will get a new Coin in the summer scenario coming up.

I'm in a cafe right now, but will be at a hotel room with wi-fi later this afternoon... I'll put up the wound tallies then and let you guys have at your makeshift medieval field hospital.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - The Victorious Knights

Sir Elad and the enemy knight clash swords and the Marshall adds one more nick to his foe. The knight in turn manages a shallow cut on Rhun, who responds with a savage blow that sends rings of mail and a gush of blood into the air. With a terrible groan, the man clutches at the pommel of his saddle as he slips from his horse to the earth.

And with that, the skirmish is over. The Marshall dismounts, surveying the aftermath. He looks up and his face purples. Following his line of sights, you see a figure on a black charger. He turns and his horse kicks up dust as he gallops away. "The Steward of Levcomagus again dares to despoil the Earl's lands," Sir Elad says darkly. "Sir Blains knows only spite. "

But the Steward is already well out of the Salisbury knights' grasp. The broken bodies of his servants clamor for their attention now.

OOC: The enemy knight's roll: Sword 5 v Elad and 10 v Rhun: 2#1d20 3 6
And Sir Elad's roll: Sword 20: 1d20 16

Sir Elad's damage to the knight: Damage: 5d6 17 -10 armor - 6 shield = 1 damage
And the knight's damage to Rhun: Damage roll v Rhun: 5d6 16 - 10 armor = 6 damage

Rhun inflicts 36 - 10 = 26 damage, which will take him out. Let's see if he manages a graceful tumble from his horse. He passes---Horsemanship 15: 1d20 10---so no extra damage at least....

And onto the enemy knights' wounds! These are the wounds they've suffered. You can roll a First Aid wound for each separate wound, healing 1d3 hit points per successful roll (1d3+3 on a critical success).
Total HP/Wounds
  • Knight 1 (Owain's crit): -4 hit points/32 hp wound
  • Knight 2 (Briant's crit): 3 hit points/25 hp wound (note: he isn't in immediate danger of death, but still will need chirugery)
  • Knight 3 (Owain's and Rhun's surrender): 13 hit points/15 hp wound
  • Knight 4 (Pellogres and Owain): 26 hit points/2 hp wound
  • Knight 5 (Bledri and Briant): -6 hit points/2 hp wound, 8 hp wound, 2 hp wound, 8 hp wound, 16 hp wound, 6 hp wound
  • Knight 6 (Rhun's crit): 3 hit points/19 hp wound, 5 hp wound (like knight 2, unconscious and badly hurt, but not about to die)
  • Knight 7 (Elad and Rhun): -1 hp/2 hp wound, 1 hp wound, 26 hp wound

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
OOC: The rules may have changed in this edition: there's no mention of a stabilization roll that I could see. So Rhun's first roll counts toward restoring hit points.

Also, everyone who makes a successful First Aid roll while tending to the prisoners gets 10 Glory (20 for a critical success).

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - Heading Home

As Rhun finishes giving what aid he can, the stricken knight glares at him. "Let the Morrigan herself come to claim me. Death is but a door. Gladly would I step through it and leave this broken body to the earth to claim my new life and fight again." The words strain him greatly and his eyes flutter. He sighs and says no more.

Meanwhile, Sir Elad watches the knights tend to the fallen and the squires gather the enemies' horses and gear. Even though the battle is done, he seems somewhat ill at ease. He grunts at Rhun's apology, but answers Bledri.

"The Steward and our Earl both would have none but fair Lady Ellen as their wife. Wot ye well that the Countess is not only passing fair, aye, and none more courteous or graceful within a hundred leagues. Much was the wealth she brought Lord Roderick, manors several on the road along here to Levcomagus, and gold besides." He shoots an angry glance at the knights lying upon the grass. "He would burn down Salisbury entire and laugh upon yon hill, if only he could make Lady Ellen a widow and thus take her as his own."

He turns to the knights administering aid. "Be careful but quick. We ride to Sarum and will present our unlucky guests to Earl Roderick, and thence to your own jails."

OOC: So as it stands, Knight 1 is at -1 HP (being nice and giving the full 3 possible to Epicurius) and Knight 5 is also at -1 HP. If anyone wants to spend a Coin to bump up Epicurius's roll to a critical success, take your 50 Glory and know that Knight 1 will survive. Also, Knight 6 still has several wounds that others can attempt to heal. Sir Elad will help him out if no one else does.

After you guys finish talking with Sir Elad, we'll skip ahead to presenting the prisoners to Roderick and your subsequent jailing them until ransom's paid up. You guys are going to have some sweet ransom cash to wow the elite in the Winter phase (including fathers of future potential brides with large dowries).

I'll calculate the Glory totals in the next post. Please point out if you think I missed anything.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - Business at Sarum

As it happens, the enemy knights' squires did not run off or spirit their masters away. And how could they, when the savage swordsmen of Salisbury stood guard, even as they also tended to the fallen foes' wounds? But Elad does bark orders at them to help prepare bowers and fastenings to more easily transport the knights back to Sarum, for the Marshall is determined to let Earl Roderick know what had transpired. He directs your squires to bind fast those of your captive knights, then to fasten their bonds by rope to the captured horses.

Thus you arrive the next evening, seven knights in tow and seven squires besides. Everyone notes your return and, at the Marshall's message, the Earl hastily prepares an audience in his hall for Sir Elad and your company. The Marshall recounts the details of the skirmish, commending each of you. Though he showers special praise upon Owain for his skill with sword and spear, and Briant and Rhun receive special notice as well.

But it is the hostages that the Earl's eyes return to again and again. Though he says nothing as Sir Elad speaks, he glares at the vanquished knights of Levcomagus and his face fair reddens at the mention of the Steward upon the hill of Allington. With a subdued but clear voice, he turns to you all and says, "Sleep in this hall tonight and break bread at dawn's light. And then hie yourselves and your hostage to your manors." His gaze returns to the captives, a fearful look upon his face which makes those still conscious shiver. But then he addresses you once more: "Know you have served Salisbury well. Right you were to be recommended for spurs and sword these scant weeks ago."

And then he leaves, Sir Elad accompanying him. Servants take away the captives to less august quarters, presumably calling chirurgeons as needed. You are left in the hall of your lord, there to speak among yourselves as you will and to sleep the sleep of the just for a few hours.

OOC:Feel free to indulge in some IC chatter; this adventure is over, however, and summer's is about to begin, so I'm going to close this scene out pretty quickly. You'll be seeing the Earl again very shortly for more savage violence noble tasks of chivalry and grace. After that, the Winter Phase begins and with it training, politicking and intrigue, and getting paid for your hostages.

Speaking of which, you probably should figure out the division of the hostages/ransoms, ICly or OOCly. I'll reveal right now that Sir Elad will want to split the ransom 50/50 with Rhun if Rhun's getting any other ransom; if Rhun's not getting anything otherwise, then he'll just straight up give the ransom rights up to Rhun because the Marshall is a hell of a guy.

Oh, also, I posted your Glory totals are in the OOC thread. Make sure to tell me if I missed anything.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - Tides of War

Morning comes, hostages are taken to manors, and sent messengers to seek ransom. While wealth is no substitute for glory, having extra gold in your manor's chest is always a welcome thing. So is the promise of a winter hunt among comrades, and dinners and merrymaking besides.

But for now, you tend to your captives (some more charitably than others) and your wounds, waiting for the remainder of your service to be called upon. Gentle spring begins to cede the comfortable warmth of summer. The words you hear in court, however, or whispered among peasants or your own servants, is full of less gentle thoughts. Saxons come to bolster King Hengest's armies, a thousand strong by some estimates. Uther's bastard son, Prince Madoc, has been tasked with stemming this Saxon horde.

There is talk, too, of Merlin---how he has been absent many months with no news, but then, is that surprising when speaking of a sorcerer?

At any rate, the word on Prince Madoc proves true. On the very first day of June, your final duty for the year comes to you: you are to meet Sir Amig at Sarum, and thence travel with the Earl to Salisbury. Uther has summoned his vassals to make war on the Saxon kings and the Earl and his vassals, yourself included, march to battle under Prince Madoc's banner.

OOC: All of you should make an Intrigue roll, though really only one of you needs to succeed (presuming you share anything you learn with the others!). This is your chance to learn somewhat meatier versions of the gossip you've heard.

If you're bringing anything out of the ordinary, or making any special plans, this is the time... once you meet up with Madoc in Salisbury, you're riding to battle pretty much right away.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - The News On the Wind

All know Uther marches against the Saxons this season. Sir Derek and Sir Rhun ferret out more substantial news and gossip from the grapevine.

Rhun through his acquaintances and reputation in the pagan community hears that Merlin still rests from last year's efforts, spent helping Uther claim victory in the Battle of Damen. And as the cunning men and wise women all agree, such work takes its toll on mortal flesh. A few mutter darkly that Uther is too hasty to make demands of his magician ally.

Derek's intelligences are of a decidedly less occult nature. A servant's son is... friends... with a maid at Uther's court and passes on overheard conversation from Prince Madoc and his knights. Word is that a second Saxon army arrived from the east; Uther promised the Duke of Silchester his aid, however, and will not divert his army. Duke Lucius of Caercolun has been ordered to hold them at bay.

Meanwhile Duke Gorlois of Cornwall was ordered to Silchester, just as Earl Roderick. But unlike the Earl, the Duke has sent no answer, let alone any men.

Summer 485- The Hosts Assemble

The day is hot when you arrive, and the city full and stinking, a disgusting and crowded place made worse by the lately come throngs of levies, squires, and camp followers carousing and squabbling within its walls. You all appreciate the decision by Earl Roderick to have many of his knights make camp outside the city proper for now. Though it is not long before the last of the summoned vassals have come.

The march begins at the break of day on a Wednesday morning two days from your arrival. There is no mistaking either King Uther or Prince Madoc: their banners are large and proudly stream in the cool early morning air, a large retinue of knights in gleaming mail and long, sharp spears around the king and his bastard son as they lead the army to the field of battle.

Your unit is not as majestic, nor neither as large, but you are in good company and good spirits nonetheless. You ride under the command of Sir Amig, the recent grantee of Tilshead Castle and one of the knights who trained you in swordplay as squires. He is not a young man, but all know him as a capable captain of men and veteran of much warfare. His six vassal knights ride alongside you. All told, you are thirteen strong including Sir Amig.

You reach your destination all too soon. After a night spent preparing yourselves however you wish---drink and food, practice at arms, wenching---you rise on a fateful Saturday morning and march onto the fields by Mearcred Creek, south of Salisbury. There a host of yellow-haired barbarians stand in rows, the wan morning sun glinting off their spearheads and axes. One mercy at least: not a one comes on horseback. With any luck, the first charge will be catastrophic against these interlopers. And then knights such as you can easily run them through as they rout, easy pickings for Cymric warriors on horseback.

Now the moment's come. Uther's banner rises and signals the advance. You take your place by Sir Amig and your companions, facing a line of Saxons a few hundred yards ahead. The wind is cold and crisp, carrying the sound of jangling mail, the stink of horse and sweat, and the anticipation of the horn's call to battle.

The horn is sounded---the charge has begun! Sir Amig lowers his spear and charges straight ahead. A band of ceorls lies before you. Ceorls are poorly-trained freemen who are lucky to even own a weapon... but unfortunately for your unit, they clutch clumsily at great spears.

OOC: The battle begins! Some things to keep in mind before the sword-swinging begin:
  • Don't forget your +5 to attack when charging in the first round.
  • The Saxons are all on foot. You get a +5 when attacking them and they have a -5 to defend except if the enemy has a great spear. Those nullify your advantage/their disadvantage. Don't worry, most of the other Saxons aren't equipped that well.
  • Subsequent rounds are going to be a bit weird. First I'll be rolling Melee Events, then Sir Amig's Battle roll for your unit, and then let you know who you're facing as well as any special modifiers.
  • Each round, I will roll to let you know how the rest of your unit is doing and how the enemy unit overall has fared. This can range from complete surrender to running away to no one but the PC knights left standing (in the unit).
  • Taking hostages will not be easy. You will have to disengage from battle (not easy) and either take your prisoner to the rear of battle, or summon your squire and help him secure the prisoner. Needless to say, this is not conducive to helping win the ongoing battle. Anyway, these are Saxons, not peers.
  • This battle is of a fixed length. At a predetermined point, either your commander or the enemy's will order a frantic retreat strategic withdrawal.

Okay, let's see how King Uther does on his Battle roll:
Uther's Battle roll (19): 1d20 18 So no modifiers.

And who are your enemies this round?
Who are you fighting?: 1d20 1

These are ceorls. Hardly any armor (1 point), no shields, Great Spear 5, Dagger 2, 3d6 damage if they hit you. Not tough, but those great spears do make what should be your knights turning them into mincemeat into slightly more even terms.

Right, have at it! Remember: +5 your first attack. This is a good time to roll for any inspiration while you're at it (Hate: Saxons is a good one).

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 17, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - First Charge!

The dirt kicks up all about, making it hard to see your targets. But in a few seconds, you each feel the solid impact of spear upon human flesh and a moment later, the precise result of your handiwork.

Bledri's spear is red with gore, having hit a ceorl in the chest and ripping up through the shoulder. The pieces of the man lie under the hooves of Bledri's horse.

Rhun simply impales his target, the ceorl spitting blood and feebly grasping at the spear protruding through his left lung. As Rhun lowers the spear, the flax-haired man tumbles carelessly onto the ground.

Briant meanwhile comes under his ceorl's spear and delivers a terrible gash to the man's stomach. He gasps and falls to the dirt, his eyes fluttering, his face pale as a winter moon. And Pellogres, too, strike true, savagely slicing open a ceorl's shoulder. But though he staggers, the ceorl is not so readily dispatched. With trembling hands, he leans against his great spear and takes a few steps back.

It is against Sir Derek alone that any of the ceorls proves himself, for that worthy knight's target steps aside at the last and stabs viciously with his own spear as Derek passes. Unfortunately for the Saxon, and providentially for the young Salisbury knight, the shield strapped to his arm and the mail coating his flesh take the brunt of the mighty blow. Derek feels naught but an angry sting.

Looking about, you see that Sir Amig and his knights have cut a swathe through the ceorls. Blonde bodies, broken and bloodied, lie all around while his knights holler taunts and cry out in triumph. Though sadly one son of Salisbury lies among the Saxon dogs' corpses. Poor Sir Gracian will never again know the sweetness of raising sword against the Earl's enemies.

But you are victorious for all that. The ceorls frantically pull away and are mercilessly run down at Sir Amig's direction. A satisfied grin on his face, he raises his sword and has you ride over their bodies right into the next closest group of Saxons. You recognize these barbarians as more than mere farmers. These are heorthgeneats, the nearest thing Saxon tribes have to a knight. Rather than cower, they bang axes against spears and yell with excitement at your approach.

OOC: Okay, let's see how these ceorls did against your onslaught.

In battles, there are several special things that happen every round.
  • First, we close the round out by rolling on the Follower's Fates table. This tells us what happened to non-PC knights and the enemies they engaged.
  • Next is a Melee Events roll.
  • Finally, the unit commander has to roll at the end of every melee round to determine their unit's ability to stay engaged, pull back, retreat, etc.

Follower's Fate (Sir Amig 24): 1d20 12 Success, which means 10% losses total among the NPCs. 10% of 7 = .7 = rounded up to 1 of Amig's knights dead.
Melee Event: 3d6 15 The enemy pulls away and +5 to the unit commander's battle roll.
Battle Roll: Sir Amig 19 vs Enemy Thegn 17: 1d20 6 1d20 18 Actually, Amig should have had a 24, but it doesn't matter. He won, so he can choose to stay engaged to this unit or disengage as he pleases.

Finally, let's see who the new Saxon menace you're about to take on:
Who are you fighting?: 1d20 13
Heorthgeneats. These are no peasants, rather they are professional Saxon warriors (sort of like a barbaric version of a knight). Axe 16, Spear 14, 6d6 damage, Armor 6 (no shield).

You get a +5 for being mounted against them. They are too close for charging, unfortunately, so feel free to switch to a sword if you like.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - Engaging the Heorthgeneats

The Cymric knights charge the Saxon axemen. After a frantic seconds of wild cries, flashing steel, and sprays of blood, the Salisbury warriors find themselves untouched by the heathen blades. The heorthgeneats cannot say the same: four suffer long, shallow cuts, and Sir Derek manages to stab one in the side, though the Saxon's leather prevents the point from sliding too deep.

Sir Rhun acquits himself with particular savagery, cleaving his foe from crown to groin in one Herculean blow.

Then Sir Amig sounds his horn and signals you and your fellow knights to pull back. He picks an opportune time, allowing your unit to defensively disengage without giving the heorthgeneats any advantage. The decision is a puzzling one at first, but quickly it becomes apparent another unit of heorthgeneats is rapidly approaching from your flank.

Sir Amig shouts a plan of re-engagement over the din of the heorthgeneats clanging axe against spear and shouting taunts in their barbaric tongue at you. Their fever to spill Cymric blood makes you wonder if Amig will have time to direct your charge before they come charging in themselves.

And then cheer, stepping back and lowering their weapons. You soon see why. Lumbering at you are men in coarse and heavy bear skins, mad grins on their faces and foam flecking their braided beards, waving greataxes about as if they were but bodkins. These are the fabled Saxon berserkers! Even Sir Amig's face pales at the sight. Nonetheless, he raises his sword and gives the order to fight in a manner befitting a knight of Salisbury and follower of Pendragon's banner.

OOC:You lot get to contend with three berserkers. But first, breakdown of the combat rolls against the heorthgeneats:
  • Enemy (Bledri) Axe 16: 1d20 19 14 damage - 6 armor = 8 damage to the Heorthgeneat. No Major Wound or Knockdown.
  • Enemy (Briant) Axe 11: 1d20 14 14 damage - 6 armor = 8 damage to the Heorthgeneat. No Major Wound or Knockdown.
  • Enemy (Derek) Axe 16: 1d20 4 19 damage - 6 armor = 13 damage to the Heorthgeneat. No Major Wound or Knockdown (though you came close).
  • Enemy (Pellogres) Axe 16: 1d20 4 13 damage - 6 armor = 7 damage to the Heorthgeneat. No Major Wound or Knockdown.
  • Enemy (Rhun) Axe 16: 1d20 5 37 damage - 6 armor = 31 damage, i.e., fine red mist indeed! One less heorthgeneat to trouble Britain's finest ever again.

Right, Follower's Fate roll! Melee Events and Battle roll while we're at it.

Followers' Fate (19): 1d20 16 Success! Only one wounded NPC knight in your unit this round.
Melee Events: 3d6 4 Sir Amig signals a retreat! Not good: this is a -10 penalty to his upcoming Battle Roll, and even worse, also a -10 to your weapon rolls this round... if you guys can't disengage successfully.
Battle Roll (effective 9): 1d20 8 Amig's a pro, though, and he pulls it together. You guys have another chance to get stuck in safely. (For a given value of "safely.")

And finally, Who are you fighting?: 1d20 20 Berserkers

Oh, man. This was basically the worst possible version of the worst possible Saxon unit you could roll (Well, there are giants, but that requires a modifiers on top of an already lovely roll!) Berserkers have Greataxe 35, 7d6 damage, Armor 10.

I strongly advise ganging up two on one here (I'll roll for Sir Owain). Don't forget you have a Coin to spend. Also, I rolled a crit on my Merciful trait and will, this one time, allow you switch to spears without penalty. Remember, you don't have to necessarily kill them... just get your licks in and see what the next round holds.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - The Final Round

The charge is desperate, for well the knights of Britain know the unbridled savagery of the berserker's attack. They are maulers and brutes all... even a giant might take pause at coming within axe's reach. Roderick's knights wisely double up against each one, hopefully to trounce them all before they unleash their fury.

Sir Rhun's strike and followthrough knocks one towering axeman onto his rump, perfectly positioning it for Sir Derek's swing a second later. The Saxon's head flies from his neck with a scarlet spray of arterial blood.

A second berserker grins and shouts at the charging Sir Pellogres and Sir Briant. Pellogres lands a terrible blow, cutting deep... yet the wheat-haired barbarian's grin only grows larger as he begins to spin his axe menacingly. But the axe drops and his body grows slack, for Briant's blade enters a lung and exits through his spine. The berserker's last expression shall ever be the disconcerting expression of glee.

Meanwhile, Sir Bledri charges the final berserker while calling to Sir Owain to join him. Bledri's spear is couched well and his aim true. His point hits a shoulder and shears through bone. And the fell Saxon's response is a hearty laugh as he spins about, readying his huge axe even as his knees buckle slightly. Then Owain's sword flashes, cleaving further into the shoulder wound Bledri created. A look of anguish fills the Saxon's suddenly pallid face. He grunts and sinks to his knees, then keels over onto his face.

Your foes gone, you have a chance to see the rest of the battlefield. The heorthgeneats you were expecting to charge in after the berserkers fell are now small figures disappearing into the distance. You hear the sound of horns. They are Prince Madoc's horns: the battle is done! As the knights look about, the victor is quite clear. King Ælle's army is in full retreat!

Looking at your own unit, you see one more knight is wounded, but no more dead at least. Sir Amig beams with pride as he canters to you. "Well done!" he cries heartily. "Your first battle and not a scratch upon you!" He glances at the severed Saxon's head and his smile broadens. "And 'gainst berserkers to boot! Well pleased the Earl shall be when he hears of this."

OOC: As DBC mentioned, berserks tend to favor the uncontrolled attack maneuver... AKA berserk maneuver. Not only do they get an unopposed attack if you don't drop them with your unopposed attack, they get a +10 to their weapon skill. Note that a successful knockdown will completely shut down the berserker's round, by the way: it doesn't have to be an unconscious-rendering or mortal wound.

They each had 35 hit points with a Major Wound of 18 and a Knockdown of 17. Let's look at the results:
  • Rhun: 27-10 armor=17 damage, enough to earn a Knockdown roll. Roll v. Knockdown (13): 1d20 16 He failed and falls down! Normally that would give a +5/-5 to the attacker/defender respectively, but given the berserker has absolutely no defense against Derek's roll, it's moot.
  • Derek: 24-10 armor=14 damage. Not enough for a Major Wound, but the berserker is down to 4 hit points, i.e., below his Unconscious threshold. He's out for the count.
  • Pellogres: 25-10 armor=15 damage. Painful to most warriors, but still merely a light wound for the likes of a berserker!
  • Briant: 33-10 armor=23 damage. No point rolling for anything: that's enough to kill him outright. (Unless someone wants to waste first aid on him, I guess. Not that a Saxon chieftain is likely to pay ransom for a broken berserker.)
  • Bledri: 28-10 armor=18 damage. Major Wound and Knockdown checks apply. Roll v. Knockdown (13): 1d20 11, so doesn't tumble to the ground from sheer force of impact. Major Wound (17): 1d20 5, made it in spades. To keep fighting, he needs to succeed at a Valorous roll (which berserkers almost never fail): Valorous (22): 1d20 8
  • Owain: Rolling for him as an NPC. Sword 20: 1d20 12 and Damage: 5d6 20 So that's a total of 20-10 armor=10 damage. That takes the berserker down to 7 hit points, so he falls unconscious (though honestly, just barely!).

Bledri would have been in big trouble if Owain hadn't come through (and two less hit points of damage, that would have been the case). Orokos does not like delivering the pain when it comes to damage rolls, it seems. But you all survived, so it's up to me to tally Glory and up to you guys to make sure to remind me of any skills, passions, or traits for which you earned an experience check.

Morale is at its height as the afternoon sun surrenders to evening's moon. While there is no food worthy of a feast, at the very least there is plenty of wine, ale, and company, both knightly and common hangers-on, at the camps this night. Fellow knights of Salisbury share tales of today's battle, as well as past exploits, and the Earl himself briefly wanders around to speak with the various units.

OOC: Enjoy the quiet for now. The Winter Phase will start up soon and after that, the training wheels are off in a sense. The next adventure is going to be one of pivotal importance not only to your characters, but the fate of Britain. No pressure or anything, though.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - The Celebratory Knights

The other knights, both old and young, are more than happy to speak with all of you and bask together in the glory of today's triumph. Sir Briant manages to capture the attention of Sir Hywel, who invites the young knight to a cup or two of wine and tells him of his own battle against a berserker a few years ago. He passes on the helpful tip that a swift decapitation solves most battlefield problems a knight has to face before inviting Briant to visit his manor when they are back in Salisbury.

Summer 485 - Sir Morris 'Gainst the Saxon Horde

His knighting hadn't been what he had expected. No but with Uther's call to arms against the Saxon invasions, Earl Roderick had asked Sir Amig if any squires were ready to take up their spurs as proper knights. Morris had been one of the first names Amig dropped in Roderick's ear.

So it was the evening before Prince Madoc led them to the field of battle that Morris found himself with several other youths before their Earl and his council. This is how it went:

Earl Roderick tersely bade Morris approach and spoke thus, "Kneel before me, Morris. Do you acknowledge me as your true and rightful liege?"

At Morris's affirmation, he continued, "Do you pledge fealty to me, and swear your sword to me, to be forever at my service?"

Nodding at Morris's response of "I so swear," he instructed him, "Repeat after me: 'I, Morris, do solemnly swear and pledge my sword to Earl Roderick, my liege, to defend and obey him until he depart his demesnes or death shall take me, and to uphold the honor of knighthood.'”

Upon Morris's repeating of the words, Sir Amig handed him a sword, the sword Amig had asked Morris to give him but an hour beforehand. The Earl tapped Morris gently on each shoulder and said, "Then I dub thee Sir Morris, knight of Salisbury, and return this, my sword, to you to be wielded in my name. Arise, Sir Knight."

And so Sir Morris, knight for not even a day, rode with the men of Salisbury to do battle at Mearcred Creek that summer.

How it happened, Sir Morris could not say, but in the thick of battle, he and his horse had strayed from their unit and faced the enemy alone. Spying his predicament, the leader of a Saxon band flashed a toothy grin and, with axe raised, advanced toward the lone knight.

OOC: You are fighting a single heorthgeneat. He has Axe 14. Spear 12, 6d6 damage, 6 pts armor, no shield, 30 hit points. I'm treating this as a regular combat rather than battle to simplify things. You have three rounds to take this guy out; if you succeed before the third round, then you'll get another opponent.[

Go ahead and make your roll. You have the choice between a mounted charge using your spear as a lance or switching to a sword.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - Sir Morris On His Own

OOC: Let's see how the brave new knight does against his liege's enemies!

Heorthgeneat Axe 14: 1d20 14

...Ow. That is not good. He just rolled a critical. That means he will do a hell of a lot of damage:
Heorthgeneat Damage: 12d6 44 - 10 armor - 6 shield = 28 damage

Ordinarily, this would be a terrible thing... but[i] you have a Coin. You can bump your ordinary success into a critical, too. That will turn this into a tie. That gives you two awesome results: first and most important, a tie means neither of you deals any damage this turn; second, when both opponents tie on successful rolls, swords break non-swords. So you'd not only live, but the Saxon would lose his axe and have to switch to the spear at a penalty next round.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Winter Phase 485 - A Time of Quiet and Reflection

Right, brave PC knights, let us get winter underway! I will be editing this post as you make rolls and I deliver results. I will bold the active round as we go along.

1. Solo Scenario - Will run for Rockopolis after the battle scene's over. You guys can still make plans to do things, like visit notables and make plans, but no actual adventuring or particularly significant scenarios will take place this winter.

2. Roll for Experience: Simple enough. Everything that you received an experience check for, now is the time to see if you actually gain a point. Roll 1d20 for each checked item. If you roll above the current value, you gain a point.

3. Check for Aging: You're all young knights now, so all you need to do is note that you and your squire are both one year older.

4. Check Economic Circumstances: Did you have a hostage from the spring skirmish? Good news: your ransom payment came in! edit: Values are in the OOC thread.

5. Stable Rolls: You don't need to roll this.

6. Childbirth and Family Events: Roll two separate 1d20s per the OOC post. I'm guessing none of you are petitioning to marry this year because surely none of your knights are that foolish.

7. Training and Practice: Buff up those stats and/or skills! Check the OOC post for details.

8. Compute Glory: Already done in the OOC thread.

9. Glory Bonuses: You all are over 1,000 Glory, so spend that point! Again, details in the OOC post.

I'll move onto the next phase when everyone's done.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 6, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - Morris Stands Against the Heorthgeneat

The tall, light-haired barbarian curses Sir Morris as he throws the now-useless rod of wood to the ground. With great haste, he kneels and takes up his spear, then thrusts at the mounted knight.

It is a well-aimed strike, but Sir Morris's blade is no less accurate, and the sword cuts the spear in twain. For a second time, the heorthgeneat stands with naught but a broken piece of ash to defend himself. Horrow dawns in his eyes as he frantically scrabbles at his belt in search of his dagger.

OOC: Your effective skill is actually 25 this round since the Saxon's re-arming, and his a 7 since there's a +5/-5 bonus/penalty... but it shouldn't make much difference since you rolled a 1. Let's see how our Saxon friend does.

Spear 7: 1d20 1

Ha! Another tie. You just broke his weapon again. Things are not looking good for him: his Dagger skill is 0, so he can only succeed on a 1 (though it'll be a critical if he does!).

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 485 - If It Weren't For Bad Luck, This Saxon Would Have No Luck At All

The heorthgeneat's clumsy grab for his dagger is for naught. Sir Morris's sword deftly stabs into the man's shoulder and elicits a scream equal parts pain and frustration. The Saxon stumbles back, large knife held high in nervous anticipation of the Cymric knight's next swing. But then the enemy's horns sound and his fellow invaders call and shout in their barbaric tongue. The Saxon army is in retreat!

And so Sir Morris, newly knight and lost from his unit, has become a veteran of war. Even if he mostly broke wood rather than Saxons, he survived. And in any case, Sir Amig praises his skill at arms (if not command of tactics and directions) that evening over wine and roast pork. Sensing Morris may not be entirely in his element with the truly hardened and experienced veterans, he introduces to several younger knights, each newly entered into Earl Roderick's service in the spring.

So it was that Sir Amig commended Sir Morris to the company of Bledri, Briant, Derek, Pellogres, and Rhun.

OOC: So he has nothing but a dagger that he's only ever used for skinning small game and eating... let's see how he does!
Dagger 0: 1d20 6

Morris handily wins this one. 14 is enough to be a Major Wound: Major Wound (current hit points 16): 1d20 6

So he passes, but let's see if he has fight left in him. Valorous 12: 1d20 5 Incredibly, the Saxon was willing to stand his ground until the retreat was sounded.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring 486 - Reporting For Duty

The winter was as cold as any other, but somehow it seemed warmer and more hospitable for all of you, lords in your own manors (and some with quite large treasure chests for so early in your knightly career). But eventually the snows thawed, the skies lightened, and spring arrived. As verdure returned to the county, so, too, did your yearly duty to your Earl... and so you find yourselves summoned early in March to Sarum again.

The mood is somber among the folk at the castle. Understandably so: Uther's defeat at Colchester last year, plus the Saxon raids plaguing Sussex, have left their toll on the people's spirits. But some dig even deeper to find sad tidings: there are a few who bemoan the depradations of the Franks across the waters. Rumor is they have sacked the last Roman outpost in Gaul, snuffing the last light of true civilization on the continent.

No one seriously considers the Gauls a threat to Britain, of course. Not yet. And especially not since Merlin is reported to be at Uther's court again, lending counsel and (one supposes) sorcerous aid to keep such foreign evils at bay.

But this is all gossip and peasant suppositions. The actual word among knights and notables is more to the point: Prince Madoc is sore grieved at the Saxon's affrontery and plans to gather knights all over the realm to harry the raiders in Colchester. That is, in fact, most likely what Earl Roderick has in mind for all the vassal knights summoned to Sarum with yourselves. Far more exciting than simple border patrol duty: charging down bands of Saxon bandits is true knightly work!

So it is you wait outside the Earl's hall with your fellow knights, perhaps three hours before noon. All of the other knights have already received orders, including Sir Owain---as you expected, assignments to various Saxon hunting units---and have rode away to make preparations. The Earl will surely send for you soon with your specific unit assignment....

OOC: Till then, feel free to talk with one another and describe what you did during Winter (or whatever else you like). As with last summer, you all should make Intrigue rolls to see if you hear anything of special interest.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring 486 - An Ignominious Task

While Sir Derek knows naught of his sister's whereabouts, nor Sir Morris of his cousin's, their investigation did at least lead to learning other news of interest. Both have heard from sources at the royal court that a Praetor Syagrius is Uther's guest, and that he has offered Uther full half the Frankish treasury if only Uther will help him retake Paris. Morris learns this from the squire of a knight held in some esteem by Prince Madoc.

Derek's source is the sister of that knight's mistress, who claims Uther balks at that challenge. He worries the campaign would be drawn out and distrusts the loyalty of several vassals. She also mentioned Merlin not only is at court again, but even more tightly wound and secretive than usual. He seemed... anxious? Troubled? Disturbing anyway when you think that he can see what is to pass.

OOC: You two can share what you like of this news with the others.

The knights have a fair amount more time to banter. Finally a page comes out, yawning and rubbing his stomach. "Time to get some bread in me at last," he mumbles, then starts at the sight of the knights. "What---thought you was all accounted for and sent in."

With wide eyes, he rushes back inside the hall. A few moments later, a red hand-shaped mark on his brow, he says crossly, "The Earl will see you now, noble knights." He shuffles off, wincing and grumbling, as soon as the last of you enters.

Earl Roderick seems to be in an impatient mood as he waves you forward. He accepts whatever greetings you make with a perfunctory grunt and nod, then speaks.

"Your service to myself is service to Salisbury itself," he says, plainly distracted by other thoughts. "While we are away assisting Prince Madoc in raiding the Saxon beasts, you will undertake a circuit around the county borders and ensure our land's safety."

Patrol duty... much like last year, save you are now blooded knights, tested in war. Not an ignoble task, of course, but you're not likely to perform deeds of renown to be told through the generations fording the Bourne or riding through the Harewood. Still, maybe there'll be a bit of time to hunt, and anyway, who's to say you can't do a bit of exploration of your neighbor's defenses? Riding into enemy territory (or at least, not your Earl's) can be a fun, albeit dangerous, method of testing borders and enlivening an otherwise dull patrol. (Or so your knights have heard.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring 486 - The Young Knights of Salisbury Ride Again

As you stand and converse amongst yourselves, a youth comes riding up on a small horse. "Your pardon, gracious sirs, but my lord bid me to bring you these." He dismounts and heaves a bundle off the back of his horse, then unties it. He lays it before you to reveal large wedges of cheddar, salted pork, some small pies, apples, and several skins, which the boy says carries good stout ("the best from my master's own brewer").

His master's identity is no secret, for of course Sir Briant recognizes one of his cousin's squires. It is Sir Floridas who has gifted your small band with these victuals.

Not that Floridas is here, for he rides to Colchester with most of the other knights you know. You are now, in fact, the last knights in Sarum (save, of course, for those left to guard the castle).

OOC: Unless you have something else you want to say to the squire, he's scampering off after his delivery and you are free to move on. You basically have two weeks' worth of patrolling around the county. It's up to you where you head first and how much ground you plan to cover. Remember Sir Elad is a big fan of young knights getting to know the lay of the land more intimately.

Here's the map of Salisbury:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring 486 - On the Road Again

The sun glints off the knight's armor and Briant's silver-chased saddle, and Bledri's ring of gold softly glows, on the company's first day on patrol. The way to Du Plain is interrupted only by lunch taken by a bubbling stream, lazy bees and warbling birds the only distraction.

The second day begins outside Du Plain, the Harewood to your north. The great forest provides a practical border between Salisbury and Hampshire to the east. Following the Test River's tributary takes you by several manors (first among them Rhun's own Broughton), thence to the old Roman road between Sarum and Levcomagus.

It is on that road maybe two hours after noon that you see your first human souls. Two peasant women and a child are crying most piteously, looking on as a young man in good clothes whips a shirtless peasant man and another well-clad youth guards several sheep. Another peasant lies on the dirt, his back criss-crossed with bloody lines. A knight on horseback watches the scene idly.

OOC: You may roll Heraldry or Recognize to see if you know the knight in question.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Winter 485 - Another Knight Enters the Tale

OOC: Quick leap to the past to bring Sir Morris into the fold! I'll continue with the current scene in the second half of the post.

Earl Roderick's halls are full of knights the week of Christmas, many with impressive tales behind scars they received during the year, and many more with just as impressive but far more dubious claims to bravery and daring. But the young company needs not worry, for if they boast, Sir Amig is quick to corroborate their tales against the fierce berserkers, and Sir Elad their courage and tactics in their very first patrol.

But this night, the Earl hushes the hall an hour before supper. After all conversations ends, he calls out to the high table closest to his throne. "Marshall, know you aught within this hall deserving to be raised unto knighthood?"

Sir Elad calls back, "My lord, the good squire Grigor I deem so worthy."

The Earl nods and waves Grigor forth, whispering to his nearby herald as Grigor approaches. The herald nods at Grigor and, reading from a scroll, says, "Grigor, come forth and kneel before the Earl."

A servant steps forth and places a bundle by the Earl's feet, consisting of mail, a shield, spurs, and a sword. Reading further from the scroll, the herald says, "Be it known to all men that I, Earl Roderick of Salisbury, am minded to raise Grigor by virtue of his honor, loyalty, valor, and skill at arms, to the high rank of knighthood."

He lowers the scroll and asks, "Grigor, do you swear and acknowledge Earl Roderick of Salisbury to be your true and lawful liege?" OOC: Grigor should say "I do so swear" here.

Upon his assent, the Earl continues. "Do you also swear fealty to Uther Pendragon, to defend and obey him until he depart the throne, or death shall take you?" OOC: Again, say "I do so swear" here.

Earl Roderick rises and stands before Grigor. "Let this be the last blow you receive without just recourse," he says, then strikes him a blow so hard that Grigor sees naught but white and nearly falls to one side. OOC: Grigor will want to regain his posture and hold his hands out, palms raised up.

The herald intones, "Repeat after me: 'I, Grigor, do solemnly swear and pledge my sword to Earl Roderick, my liege, to defend and obey him until he depart his demesnes or death shall take me, and to uphold the honor of knighthood.'”

Upon Grigor's affirmation,the Earl smiles and addresses him thus: "And I, for my part, do swear to defend and honor Grigor as befits a true knight." He takes the sword from the floor and lightly taps Grigor on both shoulders. "I dub thee Sir Grigor. Receive now your spurs, your right to suitable arms, and take this, my sword, to your side to serve and defend me well. Arise, Sir Knight." As he speaks, Earl Roderick hands him his spurs and shield, then sheathes the sword and girds it onto Sir Grigor.

Congratulations ring throughout the hall, almost immediately followed by the call "Leap! Leap! Leap!" It is time for Grigor to undertake the well-loved tradition of running from the manor to his saddled horse outside, thereupon leaping onto his steed and earning acclaim... or falling on his arse and providing entertainment for all.

OOC: Grigor should roll against Horsemanship to see if he makes it.

Spring 486 - All Together

Only Sir Pellogres recognizes the knight as being Sir Behan, lord of nearby Grately Manor, a knight somewhat renowned for his adherence to law and protocol (some would say notorious for). His wife is an older and wealthy pagan, though he himself cleaves to Roman Christianity. Behan has served Salisbury for about a decade and Pellogres seems to remember he took a serious wound at Merced Creek last summer. Doubtless why he was not called by Earl Roderick to raid or patrol this season....

Sir Behan looks up at the young knights now assembled as silent witnesses. He raises his right hand in greeting, then turns his attention back to the punishment being delivered. "Five more lashes," he says to the ruddy-faced squire as he raises the whip again. "And that will make an even fifty, I do believe."

OOC: Nicely rolled, Lager!

Meanwhile, Sir Grigor has nearly completed his own patrol duty and is on his final leg toward his border manor of Clatford, which lies along the same road to Levcomagus. It has been a lonely and boring charge thus far, with naught but his thoughts and his squire behind him for company. So however odd a tableau, he has reason to be excited by this scene of young knights watching an older knight, who in turn supervises some peasants rounded for punishment.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring 486 - A Civil Conversation

Sir Behan listens to Sir Rhun's entreaty without interruption and gives him a polite smile. Of the gathered knights, only Sir Pellogres and perhaps Sir Grigor realize that for Behan, this is actually a significant gesture of courtesy.

"The business I have with these louts are, to my knowledge, not any of yours," he says with a brash tone. "But out of goodwill toward fellow knights of Salisbury, and with the patience an elder must sometimes have for youth overly bold, I shall grant you the tale. It is simple enough."

He waves a gauntleted hand at the sheep. "These careless fools ran their sheep without warning or permission through my grazing lands, which was trespass enough. But they also allowed them to eat of my grain and did fair destroy my wife's garden. So you understand now that I extract naught more than is deserved from the backs of these villains. You are only prolonging the first one's sentence."

His gaze rests on Pellogres. "The gold dragon on white, green, and red. I know you, sir! You are Pellogres of Woodford, a knight though young, yet chivalrous and merciful beyond your age." His eyes narrow. "A trifle overmuch, even. You should harken to the words of Sir Briant."

OOC: Two rolls for you guys! First, everyone should make a Courtesy roll with a +5 bonus. Second, anyone who wishes to dissuade Sir Behan may roll against his Just trait. Merciful and Arbitrary would be the two traits you would consider using.

Sir Behan rolls to see if he recognizes any of you: Heraldry rolls: 5#1d20 6 (Bledri) 18 (Briant) 15 (Derek) 2 (Pellogres) 18 (Rhun)
Bonus since Grigor's his neighbor: Heraldry roll (Grigor): 1d20 16

Mors Rattus, Grigor has encountered Behan a couple of times and knows he's not a particularly chatty or convivial knight, especially with squires or other lesser beings. You can have a +5 to your Recognize roll to see if you know anything more in-depth about him.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring 486 - A Heart Swayed By Words

While all of the knights have an ingrained reluctance to stop Sir Behan outright, Sir Briant and Sir Pellogres know with certainty they would be in the wrong if they did. The punishment the strict knight has decided to serve is well within his legal bounds. He could even have the women and children whipped as well if he wishes, though it seems only the two adult male peasants are receiving the lash.

Still, Pellogres's words give Behan pause. A thoughtful look appears on Behan's face and his squire looks at him expectantly, the whip half-raised. (The peasants look on with even more eagerness!) "My wealth is sufficient and surely greater than yours," he says to Pellogres. "The lesson must be given regardless or these fools will only do it again." He raises a finger and continues. "Yet mayhap so many a good knight of Salisbury bearing witness to their error shall suffice. Yes, it is enough."

With a withering glance at the two men, he adds, "This time. Trespass so again and you'll have your fifty lashes and those I spared you this day besides. Go, you bumbling clods, and trouble me no more."

OOC: First off, Behan's roll: Just (15): 1d20 18

Second, Pellogres gets an experience check for Merciful and both he and Briant get a check for Courtesy.

Bledri and Derek should still roll against Courtesy, though we can move on and assume they didn't see the need to add in their two cents denarii.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring 486 - Through the Forest

The squire's face is crestfallen as he puts the whip back onto his horse's saddle, but he says nothing. The women start to praise Sir Pellogres for his courtesy and Sir Behan for his mercy, but he silences them with an angry admonition to take their husbands and hie from this place as quickly as their legs can manage. The peasants mouth silent thanks to Pellogres as they rush away, however.

Behan watches them go for several minutes, then shifts his attention to the other knights. "Good day to you, young knights," he says as he takes the reins and turns his horse northerly. "I shall attend to my business and leave you to yours." Then he pricks his charger with his spurs and is off, his squires hastily following suit.

So it is that late in the afternoon, the company finds itself alone on the road between Sarum and Levcomagus, one member greater. There is enough sunlight to reach the border by sunset at a normal pace. Dappled sunlight streams haphazardly through the great trees as the sun slowly moves in its course toward the end of day. Thankfully, nothing disturbs you along the way and you are able to clear the Harewood an hour before nightfall. The knights emerge from the forest to find green and rolling land, a couple of small hillocks nearby, the soft gurgle of a burbling stream tickling your ears.

And the stench of unwashed goat assaults your noses. The source is an old man clad in tattered goatskins, his long silver hair matched by a knotted silver beard. He leans upon a crooked staff and regards you with eyes grey as iron. Though wizened and bent over, and his voice reedy and thin, yet somehow you hear him clearly.

"Kind sirs, gentlemen of Salisbury," he says, "Will you help a servant of good Earl Roderick? Will you give succor to one who tended his Lordship's goats in younger, stronger days? For I am bereft of my last goat and sorely wish your aid. He is not far, but I am old and he may as well be on the moon, so weary am I."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
OOC: The map is a bit vague, so I probably should make clear that you are basically at the end of your patrol circuit. Unless you decide to slip past the border, in the morning you're making the return trip.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring 486 - The Goatherd Weighs In

The goatherd briskly disagrees: "This is no ordinary goat, my lords." He stabs a finger toward the nearest hillock. You can see the goat idly walking toward the top. This is not because the small hill is right at your feet or because your eyes are sharp: the goat is, simply put, gigantic.

"You may need your company's full strength to corner and herd him back this way."

OOC: Everyone should roll Suspicious with a +5 bonus. Also, Derek, succeeding on the Courtesy roll earns you an experience check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring 486 - The Knights Question the Goatherd

Derek looks closely, but the goatherd seems to be a run-of-the-mill old man to him. Though perhaps a bit more agitated than he is used to.

The goatherd's response to Sir Grigor and Sir Pellogres is "Surely you can see even from here that is a goat." While that is true, obviously this is no normal goat. Whatever's going on here, Grigor realizes this is not the sort of thing to ignore while on patrol. Derek and Briant are suspicious of the goat as well. All realize the Earl would probably be quite angry if it were not investigated.

The old man listens with some impatience to the rest of the knights. He sighs and says, "Pray call me Madoc, good knights. Forgive me for not inquiring your names and your residences, your triumphs and regrets, what with my concern being on my quite irreplaceable goat running amok on yon hill!" Composing himself, he continues, "I helped a man years ago who was in all likelihood more than simply a man. The goat has been quite docile till now, but I made great haste and did not let him stop to eat his fill. But come, shall we build a fire? Set up camp? Shall I tell my tale in full while the goat runs wild, hoping he will be polite enough to stay put until all words are exhausted?"

He shakes his head sadly. "I have not slaughtered a goat for the Earl's table in some years, but I recall on those days, the knights gathered in his hall saved idle sitting for meals, and the sharing tales of deeds only when there were no actual deeds to be done. Gone are the days of men such as Sir Amig or Sir Floridas, I suppose, for knights to browbeat an old man or hesitate to action. Not even concern for the pasture lands of your own Earl's county seems to inspire your haste."

OOC: Roll either Loyalty (Lord) or Honor to see if the goatherd's words have inspired you. If you fail one, you can roll the other.

• Locked thread