Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Sir Elias

Elias stepped forward, and gave a respectful incline of his head to Sir Briant. "I thank you for your welcome, sir Briant. To hear the tales is a delight. Much greater will it be to be part of them." The young knight was of handsome build, with a patrician nose and raven hair. Idly, he wondered as to the reason he was attached to the band of the Hound? Was it but to offer assistance in their diplomatic envoy, or to have an eye on them? Sir Briant was an impressive presence

"I hail from Winterbourne Stoke, not too far north from both Newton and Stapleford. I fear not combat or Saxon, yet I sought this engagement. Things that are hidden from a king or his direct vassal with great diligence might yet be heard by a young knight. Vigilance is half of my family's motto. And each thing we learn from the Centurion King might aid King Uther in his designs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Sir Elias

Elias smiled. "Sir Elad is still well, and yet instills terror and obedience in squires as is his wont." he said with a jest. "Otherwise, things are calm, to my knowledge. Many await the news of both our efforts here, and the raids upon the Saxons. I suspect Sir Briant will have an attentive audience upon our return, should he wish to grace them with his songs." He sat down and shared the meal with the others. Sir Rhun's jibe at Sir Briant could mean many things. Either the two men were close friends enough that such a joke was no matter, or Sir Rhun felt he needed a humbling? Not wishing to cause offense, Elias did not continue on that joke. "Ah, there is not yet much to say of me, yet. My father Sir Semond died when I was young, and I was raised by my mother and uncle. Our family is known for some skill at treating wounds in combat, and I have given this tradition my diligence."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

Elias too has little to add to Briant's introduction. Yet his eyes linger on the guards. How do they react to the name of his sovereign? How well are they equipped to handle any fights, and how nervous are they about expecting any problems? Do their faces testify of diligence and discipline? The answers to these questions might reveal much, or they might have trivial reason, but it never harms to notice.

Roll against Awarenesss 10: 1d20 8

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

Elias nods as they are accompanied. by the man. He is mostly quiet, though he rides close to Sir Briant and Brevan. It is said that one hears much more if one is quiet, and so Sir Elias kept his silence and sought to learn more of their companion and his lord. Then, alarrum is called as enemies present themselves. The new companion of the Hount too is soon armed with a sharp blade, though he briefly tarries, looking back at their guide, who they are oath bound to keep safe, and whose death would be an ill omen for their chances. "Keep yourself to safety. Should you face dangers beyond you, call on us." With that, he spurred his horse, following his new fellows in their charge.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

Saxons here? Was his but the vagueries of chance? Raiders with no plan but to pillage and burn, or spies sent here on ill designs? All too easy was it to think of Saxons as nothing but dumb brutes, storming like a plague over the land, with all the self-control of a rabid dog, and as welcome as one. Yet history's cruel lessons teach that they could be cunning as foxes and treacherous as snakes. All too many noble families of the English mourned people to the likes of these. The weight of his blade reminded him that such thoughts could wait. Perhaps the victims might tell them more.

He filled his lungs with air and his arms with vigor and coldly looked at the Saxons. "For Salisbury and the Earl!" He called out. He wasn't sure of the vagueries of politics. But he knew he'd sworn an oath to that man, and the Earl's name would these Saxons' blood be spilled.

Loyalty (Lord) Test: 1d20 8 Passion role succeeds, giving me a +10, getting sword to 25.

Sword Roll VS spearman: 1d20 18 Since I have 5 above twenty, I add five to the roll, and thus get a critical success.

The Saxon rolls against his skill of 16 +5 from fighting against someone on horseback = 21. Saxon Spearman roll: 1d20 12 Is a success, but not enough to beat my crit. So I'll do double damage.

Crit damage roll: 8d6 33 33 damage, exactly the same as Briant, this takes him below 1/4th of his his points, so he goes down, but not dead yet, though likely not long for this world.[/i]

The younger knight is relatively quiet, looking with angry scorn at his opponents, his gaze soon focused on his opponent in particular The man's attempt at a thrust with his spear finds nothing but the surface of the knight's shield, while Elias blade testifies to its wielders' worth to the Band of the Hound. While not blessed with the enviable brawn of Briant, he is not unskilled, and his blade digs through flaxen hair, skin and bone as it carves into the Saxon's skull. As it is withdrawn with a slight effort, the Saxon gurgled something in his language, then sunk limply to the ground.

Having broken through, Elias' gaze does not fall on the leader, but rather on the archers. An arrow had taken the man before his time, and so Elias knew the danger of despising archers. Against his attack, they should not stand for long, and it might yet save lives. He does not hide his intention. "Looters, killers and kidnappers. You shall not return to whatever warren spawned you." With luck, these would flee, easily ridden down later, and he might aid with the two leaders. Otherwise, they'd bleed their lives out here.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

Sir Elias briefly sees the arrow slip past his guard, feels the impact of the archer's well-aimed shot press against his shot, and for a moment, a chill grasps his heart. To find a death to a Saxon's arrow as well-filled with duty as it is devoid of glory and early in time as his sire and grand-sire had done is a specter that hangs over him. Not a man given to wild superstitions is he, but the thought that this might be a doom for his family haunts his soul at times. Yet not this day it seems. As his fellows turn to face the leaders, the junior of the knights drives his horse towards the archers, eager to deny them a chance to court chance once more.

Sword 25 +5 for high ground -5 for combined action Sword Roll VS Archer: 1d20 8 which is raised to 13
Archer's Dagger: 1d20 12 that's a failure, and I'm not sure they'd even get to roll since they haven't pulled out their dagger's yet?
Damage against archer: 4d6 20 which is 8 damage if the man has his shield ready, 14 if he doesn't.

A red line is drawn across the Saxon's face, making a promise of a scar, yet eager is Elias to make such a promise made a liar by sending the man's heart's blood to spill today.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

The men he struck flees, and his compatriot is laid low by the knight's own comrade. Not one to leave a task undone, Elias leaves the most glorious targets to his seniors this day, chasing down the fleeing archer and cutting him down. He might not be a threat any more to any of the knights. But he was a threat to the common people. And so he would die.

Striking down archer: 1d20 4
Damage against archer: 4d6 16 -6 armor is 10 damage, leaving him at 6 HP/30 and down.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

Sir Elias returns from his own tasks, his mood pensive. "Yet I wonder if chance raiders were all these were. We are not at all far from your king's hold. And these men are on foot." The suspicious man is always looking for a hidden intent for every action. "Tell me, good man. Did these men show any sign of interest in taking things, or did they simply burn?" Elias also instructed his squire to see whether the men carried any other loot on them, wot well, to ascertain motives, not for enrichment, or mayhap any sign of an assignment beyond a simple raid.

As he observed, he took note of Sir Briant's charity, yet also the hidden words passed between Sir Rhun and Sir Briant. For whom then were these words hidden? The farmers, their guide or himself?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

Sir Elias had held his silence, feeling he could but dillute Sir Briant's words. Yet still, there seemed to be no common cause between Uther and the Centurion King. He perks up at Sir Briant's talk about bolstering reputation. The man had clear ambition, yet was not selfish of it. While Rhun either lacked as much ambition, or feigned such a lack. "I thank you for the consideration, sir Briant. Know that I fully intend to be a worthy companion to the group's reputation. Know that my greatest skill lies in court. Indeed, I had hoped to be of assistance with the superior king, yet part of the knowledge of court is when to remain silent, and truly, naught I could say could do more than be a nag next to a charger before the Centurion King."

Their tasks done, the knight returns to Winterbourne Stoke, and the chill there. His absence caused old tensions to come to the fore once more. It was to be expected. His grandfather and father had died young. Was it then so odd his family would worry for his safety, and for the future of Winterbourne Stoke should he perish? His knighthood had demanded an end to the silent war between the two families, his death might once more inflame it.

To be outside and riding his estate was both a duty and a pleasure Winterbourne Stoke not always a merry place. Yet his pleasure was cut short, as invaders made themselves known with unwelcome sound and more unwelcome scent. He turned to his Squire. "Fly home! Raise the alarum. I shall take the measure of this invasion!"

And with that, Sir Elias took his lance and rode to face those who sought to defile his land, so they would find naught but death here.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

[quote="Shogeton" post="447127205"]
Sir Elias

Sir Elias felt a great wroth come over him upon seeing the Saxons seek to kidnap oithers. "Hold, you fiends! Two legged beasts! Enough have you taken from these lands! Today, it is not Brits that will mourn their losses. If the sin-stained filthy loincloth that serves as your soul is capable of something such as mourning. When you took my sister for me, I was but a boy. Today, I am a man grown and a knight true. Today you die Saxons!"

Hate Saxon Roll 12: 3d6 11

So consumed was Sir Elias with anger, he rode hard at the Saxon closest to him, heedless of his companion. Though not totally beyond reason was he, for he counted that the Saxons, if fought more conservatively, might soon get aid from their companions, or worse, spitefully kill their captives. No, better to terrify them with swift, terrible wrath.

Lance 25: 1d20 12 (So Lance 10 + 10 from Hatred, +5 from charging., is 25, meaning this is a 17, so no crit.
Saxon Spearman Roll: 1d20 1
Damage to Saxon: 6d6 25 Which means 19 damage out of 30, meaning he clings to consciousness. An uneven roll means I break my lance.
Saxon Spear Roll: 1d20 16 Not sure if he gets a +5 from using a spear against me, but if he does, he just makes it, since I used my whole attack on his buddy. Picked the wrong one.
Saxon Damage roll: 5d6 20
I'm gonna let you handle furhter things, in case I misread something.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

"One strike you had, cur, one more chance to spil more Brittish blood before your death. No mettle have you for more than preying on the helpless." And with that, Sir Elais struck down with his lance towards the man's armor

Lance 25: 1d20+5 19 So only barely not a crit, and the lance does break. Or can it only break on a charge?
Saxon Axe 13: 1d20 15 So a miss.
Lance damage (not charging): 4d6 17-6=11 damage. He's not down yet.

The lance struck the man's shoulder, scraping bone, while the Saxon's counterattack left but fruitless mark on the knight's shield.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

Dropping his lance to the ground, Elias drew his sword. Feral rage rather than cowardice was the Saxon's reaction to seeing his own blood. With a hasty thrust, he sought to run the other man through.

Sword Roll VS spearman: 1d20+5 8 A normal hit
Damage to Saxon: 4d6 15 9 more damage, getting him down to 10/30 hit points, but still alive.

Though his steel found flesh, and the Saxon's flesh turned from pale to ashen as blood poured from his wounds, he yet fought, thrusting his spear upwards, heedless of his own safety.

Saxon spear roll: 1d20+8 26 Well poo poo, this is gonna suck. (assuming a +5 on his because I hurriedly switched weapon, but it's a crit anyway, since I rolled an 18 for him.)
Saxon damage: 10d6 41 This is not very good.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

You know what, I'll do that. Forgot about the coin.

[quote="Shogeton" post="447705959"]
Sir Elias

Dropping his lance to the ground, Elias drew his sword. Feral rage rather than cowardice was the Saxon's reaction to seeing his own blood. With a hasty thrust, he sought to run the other man through.

Sword Roll VS spearman: 1d20+5 8 A normal hit
Damage to Saxon: 4d6 15 9 more damage, getting him down to 10/30 hit points, but still alive. Coined. Turned into a crit and doubled, getting him down to 1 HP and out.

The blade sliced though the man's stomach, sending him tumbling to the ground, bleeding his last on the ground. Elias looks at the other Saxons, wondering if they had spotted him. His lance was broken, and he was yet alone. How many of them were there? His rage now had cooled. These men upon retreating, might lead them towards their camp. Perhaps more good British could be freed. He should perhaps wait for his family at the least. He could not brook his people being in Saxon bondage, yet he might allow them to handle his goods and livestock for a noble cause. He rode closer to the captured serfs.

"Hold. Let me free you. Make for the manor. My knights should come this way shortly. Direct them towards me. We'll see the Saxons pay and your goods returned.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

It is a good thing Elias rage is already much spent, for the words the men say drives him to anger. Yet with the fires already burned, his race may turn icy, and not burn away his designs. "He spoke to the Saxons? Then now he shall answer to me."

With that, sir Elias rides, intent on capturing this man alive. There were answers to be had there.

Small note, the squire should be off getting help from the rest of the family

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

Sir Elias resists the urge to cut the man down where he stands. His knowledge might be very useful indeed. Where there was one traitor, there could be others. Perhaps this man might know more. Or perhaps he could lead them towards their holding. His sister. Was she perhaps still held captive there, after several years? It seemed like a cruel thing to hope.

"Your fate is yet within your own hands, yet, man. Or to speak sooth, within your mouth. You will come with me to my manor. There, I will have all the knowledge you have. Should it be valuable, mayhaps my vengeance and wroth might be unleashed elsewhere."

Not sure what roll this is, if any? I'm hoping for intrigue.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

A grim smile is given "That is good news. See to it that a measure is taken for the damage caused, so aid can be given where needed. I will not have those on my land survive Saxons only to starve come winter."

The other question is given a carefully neutral face. It would not do for his prisoner to die to the justified rage of the man. "I will have a full accounting of what he is and what he deserves. Let it be enough for you to know that he is not to be harmed, nor leave until I have said it so." I motion my prisoner to walk. "We head back for the manor. I will learn much. Today, we have denied them slaves they have not. Perhaps if this man knows enough, we may deny them slaves they have."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

No further explanations are given to any who ask who the man was. The manor was enough steeped in conspiracy and intrigue. And he did not wish his prisoner to be found dead from poison within a few days. A room with a sufficiently thick door was prepared, and Elias bid Sir Pherod, his half brother to stand guard to ward away curious servants.

"Know this. My sister was taken by a raid much as happened today. Should the knowledge you possess allow me to avenge her against those who've taken her, I would not seek retribution against your actions today. Should it allow me to save her, you would be rewarded. So speak now, man. You have naught to lose."

• Locked thread