Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Something no one's going to care about, but the multilayer font has really bad legibility imo. Too thin.

The first example's a bit unfair because of shield color blending into the text, but the text on the left is still hard to read, and in motion (in the trailers) it was only worse (though, of course, that had Youtube's artifacting). The area name could also do with some boldening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The ammo counter is going to bug me.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Although the PS4 doesn't support standard definition TVs any more, since it's HDMI only, they still need to make it readable for people with 720p/1080i TVs. There is also the problem of it blending in, which is usually solved by having white text with a black outline, or vice versa.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Although the PS4 doesn't support standard definition TVs any more, since it's HDMI only, they still need to make it readable for people with 720p/1080i TVs. There is also the problem of it blending in, which is usually solved by having white text with a black outline, or vice versa.

At that size those fonts have poor legibility regardless of resolution. It's too condensed for something that should be immediately readable at a glance.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The two biggest problems with 3's multiplayer was the spawncamping and the maps. The maps had like 3 paths and they were all meat grinders and after a while the team that got the middle spawn point could just spawn camp.

Im hoping that it has been fixed and that it doesn't control like poo poo like 2 did.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

blackguy32 posted:

The two biggest problems with 3's multiplayer was the spawncamping and the maps. The maps had like 3 paths and they were all meat grinders and after a while the team that got the middle spawn point could just spawn camp.

Im hoping that it has been fixed and that it doesn't control like poo poo like 2 did.

Well I can tell you that fixed map spawn points for teams are shielded in the manner that the people spawning can shoot out, but opposing foes cannot shoot in. I can't tell you if that is 100% going to fix the issue but seems pretty good to me.

Also adding the HQ 6 min vid to the op now.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Evil Canadian posted:

Well I can tell you that fixed map spawn points for teams are shielded in the manner that the people spawning can shoot out, but opposing foes cannot shoot in. I can't tell you if that is 100% going to fix the issue but seems pretty good to me.

Also adding the HQ 6 min vid to the op now.

This worries me because Conquest in BF3 kinda works like this, where the team can move around in the spawn point and opponents can't, but it rarely seems to help deter spawn camping.

Really, spawns need to flip at some point, which unfortunately just doesn't make sense in some game types.

Another problem is determining when to execute a spawn flip, especially on small maps (CoD Nuketown :argh:)

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

This worries me because Conquest in BF3 kinda works like this, where the team can move around in the spawn point and opponents can't, but it rarely seems to help deter spawn camping.

Really, spawns need to flip at some point, which unfortunately just doesn't make sense in some game types.

Another problem is determining when to execute a spawn flip, especially on small maps (CoD Nuketown :argh:)

Well unfortunately no real way to tell until game is out there, because it's not like we can get a beta test or anything. It's a known issue and they have addressed it in a way they seem to think works, that's all we can really know for now :shrug:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Evil Canadian posted:

Well unfortunately no real way to tell until game is out there, because it's not like we can get a beta test or anything. It's a known issue and they have addressed it in a way they seem to think works, that's all we can really know for now :shrug:

Yeah, I guess not. Spawn points are one thing in multiplayer shooters that might always annoy me, but it's not like I have any ideas on how to fix them.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
I'm doing a full series playthrough before SF comes out and I am about to throw in the gloves at the KZ 2 Radec boss fight. Holy gently caress dudes...

I roll out without HUD or crosshairs and KZ2/3 feel more like adventure games with guns. Playing on anything above normal difficulty is an exercise in masochism, though. The intro assaults up to Visari Square are totally rad, as is the ending, but goddamn the middle is poo poo on a shingle

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

I'm doing a full series playthrough before SF comes out and I am about to throw in the gloves at the KZ 2 Radec boss fight. Holy gently caress dudes...

I roll out without HUD or crosshairs and KZ2/3 feel more like adventure games with guns. Playing on anything above normal difficulty is an exercise in masochism, though. The intro assaults up to Visari Square are totally rad, as is the ending, but goddamn the middle is poo poo on a shingle

I've been thinking about getting the Killzone -trilogy too, as I haven't played any of them ( with the exception of Mercenary on Vita ). Then again, I have way too many games to play as is.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

If you watch one of the mp vids you can see at one point the player is spawn camping and there isn't much the people spawning in can do.

Well, it looked that way.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Arthe Xavier posted:

I've been thinking about getting the Killzone -trilogy too, as I haven't played any of them ( with the exception of Mercenary on Vita ). Then again, I have way too many games to play as is.
Warning: Killzone 1 has not aged well. At all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I tried it a few weeks ago and it's just a terrible, terrible game.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's kinda amazing how much Killzone 4 shits all over the console versions of BF4, in terms of visuals. The disparity between games made specifically for either PS4 or Xbone versus console multiplatforms is going to be titanic this generation, I think.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
GameStop texted me last night that my copy of Killzone 4 will be ready for pick up tonight (Tuesday). So I guess I can stare at the box and make the "kill" noise for a few weeks....

Which one of you poor saps wonderful people are going to try wrangling the goon clan for this version? I'll be happy to help out, but I don't have the time to stay on top of things like I did (or at least tried to!) for the last two. Also, I still have Helghoons.com, so if there's anything people want MP-related up on there, let me know.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Lumpy posted:

GameStop texted me last night that my copy of Killzone 4 will be ready for pick up tonight (Tuesday). So I guess I can stare at the box and make the "kill" noise for a few weeks....

Which one of you poor saps wonderful people are going to try wrangling the goon clan for this version? I'll be happy to help out, but I don't have the time to stay on top of things like I did (or at least tried to!) for the last two. Also, I still have Helghoons.com, so if there's anything people want MP-related up on there, let me know.

Get the game, take photos of the box and the disc, and post them here for us to drool at, please. The wait is killing me!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Lumpy posted:

Whoa, really? I haven't gotten a notice yet. Weird.

It'll be nice to have all my stuff before my console so I don't have to make a trip to Gamestop after my console gets delivered, at least.

e: GS's website still says 11/15 for me.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 29, 2013

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Lumpy posted:

I got that too. I'm not sure what the point of picking up my game weeks before I can actually play it is, but I guess I'll pick it up.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

venutolo posted:

I got that too. I'm not sure what the point of picking up my game weeks before I can actually play it is, but I guess I'll pick it up.

They only hold for 48 (or maybe 72?) hours I think, so better safe than sorry. I will hide my copy away so it's not taunting me with it's silence.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Polygon also confirmed with GameStop that they're going to start selling it today. I'm getting it from Amazon so I wonder if they'll start shipping copies soon.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Space Racist posted:

Polygon also confirmed with GameStop that they're going to start selling it today. I'm getting it from Amazon so I wonder if they'll start shipping copies soon.

I was at EB earlier today to pick up the new Wrestling game, saw Knack on the shelves but not Killzone, I guess my area ain't doing that yet.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Picked up Killzone today at GameStop. It was the only PS4 game they had available for purchase (no Knack, otherwise I would have got that as well). So now I get to throw it on the pile of games I've never played (at least for a couple weeks)! 45GB install in case anyone was wondering.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Arthe Xavier posted:

Get the game, take photos of the box and the disc, and post them here for us to drool at, please. The wait is killing me!

As requested... now you can share in my suffering.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lumpy posted:

As requested... now you can share in my suffering.

The day one KZ patch is not going to be insubstantial if they've shipped copies this early.

Also what on the reverse side cover!?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Rinkles posted:

The day one KZ patch is not going to be insubstantial if they've shipped copies this early.

Also what on the reverse side cover!?

Control layout.

It just went gold like a week ago. It shipped fast.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

Woah, I had no idea Killzone had options for no hud/no crosshair. That's awesome. Ever since I went on a big Doom kick a couple years ago I disable the crosshair in any single player FPS games I can, it just feels so good.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Soul Glo posted:

Control layout.

It just went gold like a week ago. It shipped fast.

Not on my copy.

Inside (besides the disk) there is nothing even vaguely resembling a manual, just a 'get 7 days free PSN+' promo sheet with a code on the back.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lumpy posted:

Not on my copy.

Inside (besides the disk) there is nothing even vaguely resembling a manual, just a 'get 7 days free PSN+' promo sheet with a code on the back.

I meant this, the reverse cover:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Rinkles posted:

That'll teach me not to look in there :downs:

Is it November yet? October truly is the worst month.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW

Equilibrium posted:

Woah, I had no idea Killzone had options for no hud/no crosshair. That's awesome. Ever since I went on a big Doom kick a couple years ago I disable the crosshair in any single player FPS games I can, it just feels so good.

There is a huge amount of detail in the worlds, doing away with the gamey elements forces you to rely on the actual game world you inhabit. Your rifles and such have sights on them, why not immerse yourself? I mean, the ISA M-82 has an EOTech 556 on it with the real buttons...

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Holy poo poo, crouch isn't set to L2 this time around?! Best news about Shadow Fall yet.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Putting the controls on the inside cover is such an obvious idea, I'm surprised it hasn't been done until now (Knack's cover is the same way, apparently).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Space Racist posted:

Putting the controls on the inside cover is such an obvious idea, I'm surprised it hasn't been done until now (Knack's cover is the same way, apparently).

Rad reversible covers without iconographic clutter are cooler.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Space Racist posted:

There's definitely been a few games that have done this in the past, though I am gonna miss first party Sony stuff not having the clutter free artwork on the reverse cover anymore.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Rad reversible covers without iconographic clutter are cooler.

This. I wish every game did a BioShock Infinite.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

If Amazon in the US are shipping because they want to free up room/doing it early is easier, why aren't they doing that everywhere?

Our UK stuff isn't going to ship early.

edit: probably because the UK is smaller and has a better (not for long!) postal service I dunno? Europe is pretty big though.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Gamersyde just put up some 60fps Multiplayer footage of the forest map. Only downside is it's not a direct feed but someone with a camera
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_killzone_shadow_fall_pgw_multiplayer_played_by_a_simpleton_-31076_en.html

Please watch this and tell me you don't see the difference 60FPS makes

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That looks gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Lumpy posted:

Not on my copy.

Wow, the typo is real. How the hell did no one notice that before printing?

• Locked thread