Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
How about a thread specifically for food photography? Feel free to post shots you've taken of food in all its forms. A couple to start off:

Herbs and Spices

IMG_7073.jpg by jmorris4371, on Flickr

And a Crumb Shot

Baguette by jmorris4371, on Flickr

Phummus fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

I'll do a before and after.

I always have my camera set to shoot 'cloudy' for the white balance. I like the color temp it provides for outdoor shots, and really with as easy as it is to change the white balance after-the fact, its not worth it to change it on my camera every time my lighting changes. So here's the shot out of the camera:

I adjusted the white balance to reflect the actual lighting I was shooting in, and I cropped out a lot of the background/foreground stuff that I found to be pretty distracting. I did a little bit of noise reduction, as I was shooting at a fairly high ISO, and also enabled the lens profile correction in lightroom to come up with this:

EDIT: I also boosted the exposure a bit.

Phummus fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 28, 2013

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

LAchristus posted:

I work with food photography on a daily basis - I am currently apprenticing/educating myself to become a photographer - and I focus on food/lifestyle photography. I'd love to try and answer some questions or give tips, ask away.

I try and work exclusively with daylight, as I find the quality of the light superior to strobes (the highlights aren't as smooth and there isn't as much detail in the shadows). But stay out of direct sunlight, as it is way too harsh (unless you want to exploit that, and know what you are doing. So if you have a window with indirect sunlight, this is where you should shoot your food! Don't be lazy, take your place away from that ugly yellow lightbulb in the kitchen and go to the window.

If you want to get serious about food photography I urge you to buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Plate-Pixel-Digital-Photography-Styling/dp/0470932139/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383245032&sr=8-1&keywords=plate+to+pixel

You can see my work on my site and my blog - and feel free to ask.

https://www.christonnesen.com
https://www.christonnesen.blogspot.com

The simple question: What would you do to improve the photos in my original post?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

LAchristus posted:

The image link on the first image appears to be broken. So can only comment on the bread.

Fixed

LAchristus posted:

First of all, think about the light. It appears this is shot in your kitchen without any thought on light? The light is yellow and really flat, it doesn't do anything to tell that the bread is crisp like a proper baguette. You need some contrast in the light to accent the feel of the bread.

Yeah, it was shot in my dining room under the overhead light. I did try to correct for the yellowness in white balance.

LAchristus posted:

Secondly, you say it is a crumb shot, but in this image there is 5% crumb, and 95% bread interior, and the clean cut makes it even harder to identity that this bread has a crisp surface.

If I had a baguette like this, I would probable shoot it from the top down, so that you see the beautiful structure is has, and then either break it half with my hands, or cut a pieces and lay besides. Maybe with some butter and/or jam and a knife or something to help tell the story.
[quote="LAchristus" post="421150229"]

I like the idea of breaking it by hand and the knife/jam/butter. I may do this next time.

[quote="LAchristus" post="421150229"]
In post process, give it way more contrast, and desaturate it a bit. Gave it a quick shot in Photoshop:

Nice. Thanks for the tips!

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

In the spirit of reciprocal education, in the world of baked goods, the 'crumb' of an end product is the term used to reference the internal structure. For instance, the crumb of my baguette above has a fairly open texture, indicating that it was a high hydration application. The yellow color that you noted, while exacerbated by my tungsten lighting is also partly due to the fact that I used unbleached flour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

mediaphage posted:

I will say my number one pet peeve in food photography (aside from the general Glamour Shots nature of current trends) is the tendency toward razor-thin depth of field. In everything. Can't even see the food.

My baguette is certainly guilty of this. The herbs and spices not so much.

• Locked thread