Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Some serious effortposts here, well done. I'm looking forward to reading through everything. Do people really pay those prices on US ebay? My C64 was 2.80eur + shipping, I think I paid around 18eur for an A500 and power supply before shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I'm going to jump in with the only real memory I have of the Spectrum, Skool Daze, which is a pretty great example of what could be done when designing around the system's flaws. It's also a very English game, which I would associate strongly with those systems.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The cheapest price I'm seeing is about $0.50 per disk. I think they've climbed out of the "rock-bottom" price stage at this point, and are back on an upward trajectory, since they're a niche format and the supply has shrunk to meet demand.

A lot of the ones made in the last few years of production are total garbage and don't last very long.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Here's something cool. There are lot of low-cost floppy drive emulators on eBay that load disk images over USB, aimed at people maintaining industrial machinery, synthesizers and PCs. A hobbyist has written new firmware that adds read/write support for Amiga ADF images. Drives are only 30-40USD right now. I have one on order to try this out.

http://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

the wizards beard posted:

Here's something cool. There are lot of low-cost floppy drive emulators on eBay that load disk images over USB, aimed at people maintaining industrial machinery, synthesizers and PCs. A hobbyist has written new firmware that adds read/write support for Amiga ADF images. Drives are only 30-40USD right now. I have one on order to try this out.

http://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/

Finally got to try this.

Loading floppy images off USB:

All riiiight

Unfortunately I don't have a joystick/controller or a 512k expansion, so I'm a little limited as to what I can run right now.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

d0s posted:

You almost certainly know this but any Sega Genesis/Master System pad will work if you have those lying around. A stick makes the games actually fun though ;)

I have a 512K expansion that the realtime clock battery vomited acid on, it still works but I am wary of it, if you know how to clean up stuff like that it could be perfect for you. It's Commodore A501, not a knockoff. I can sell it to you for a good price, shoot me a PM!

Yeah, I'm going to drop into a local place and see what's cheap. A Sega pad (it'll be from a Megadrive, not a Genesis :arghfist:) would be fine but I'd like something that I could use on a C64 as well. I'll PM about that A501, thanks.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 27, 2014

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

d0s posted:

These things are greatloving fantastic game machines but I will never understand the masochists that use them for actual work. The user interface is demoralizing. It's kafkaesque. It's the OS equivalent of a North Korean apartment building.

d0s posted:

unexpanded A1200

Well there's your problem. Simply spend many hundreds or thousands of dollars on accelerator cards and you too can have a browsing system that rivals a Pentium.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Red Warrior posted:

I'm a big fan of this for the C64, similar concept, a little more refined perhaps:

http://www.sd2iec.co.uk/id14.html

Lookit, so cute.

I've been keeping an eye out for a cheap sd2iec for a while. The gotek floppy emulator is only 1/3 the price though

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 27, 2014

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

d0s posted:

If anyone around the UK can get a line on an actual A3010/20 for me (or even a 3000 if that's all there is) please hit me up you will be compensated

EDIT: Cool, it seems a 1084 can be used with this system with a gender changer. This is seeming more and more possible... :retrogames:

http://www.amibay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43 They usually sell for £100-150 when they turn up. Posting in the Wanted forum might turn one up quicker.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

d0s posted:

EDIT: For free no less, god there are some awesome people there

Amibay is very much a hobbyist's site, and a pretty "English" one in feel. It's very polite and welcoming. The emphasis is on just enjoying computers, I've never seen any animosity or drama there, which is very surprising when you consider how much money changes hands.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Police Automaton posted:

I hope this was somewhat interesting if not squarely in the realm of retro-gaming. I wanted to write a little of the serious hardware/application side of the Amiga as most people only know the A500 as games console. Still, there were quite a few serious applications and serious hardware for it. If there's any interest and I did not bore anyone to tears I can talk a bit more about the Amiga and the Soft-/Hardware side of things.

This was great! Keep going. I think it might be interesting to cover methods of getting software onto an Amiga in 2014 (like hard drives, CF adapters, USB solutions etc)

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Police Automaton posted:

Very interesting for a retro gamer. Many people that get to know the Amiga in this decade as a retro gaming system gravitate to USB solutions on the Amiga, because it's what they know from the PC. In my opinion, USB on the Amiga is quite useless. Most solutions are very hard to find, quite expensive and then often relatively shoddy and unreliable. In general I can say this about most Amiga expansion hardware: If you are not sure what it does or can't think of a specific use for it, you probably do not need it to enjoy gaming on the Amiga. The amiga retro community is sadly full of assholes that make an extra buck off younger retro gamers that don't have much knowledge, by selling them complete junk they will never ever possibly need at a premium. One ideal configuration for retro gaming is an Amiga 500, with OCS/ECS Chipset 512kb Chipram and at least 512 kb expansion RAM. No CPU upgrades, no nothing. You simply do not need it on an Amiga used for gaming, in fact often it's quite incompatible. The programmers of most games had such an unexpanded machine in mind when they wrote the game. It makes sense, Programmers just could not expect people to buy $1000+ expansion Hardware just to run their game. Most games do not even support a HD and some will even crash or be unstable on anything that's not an 7 Mhz 68000 CPU and has more than 512kb Chipram and a Kickstart higher than 1.3. Luckily enough for the Retro gamer, those kinds of Amiga 500 are the most common and quite cheap to get, and contrary to some more problematic machines, do not need to get some soldering maintenance. It doesn't even have a battery that can leak!

I have only used a Gotek USB floppy emulator with my A500 and I love it, I think it's probably the best cheap solution if you have the tools & time to flash the drive. Here's a post I made:

the wizards beard posted:

Finally got to try this.

Loading floppy images off USB:

All riiiight

Unfortunately I don't have a joystick/controller or a 512k expansion, so I'm a little limited as to what I can run right now.

I think it costs less than 20euro for the entire setup.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Yes, the modified Goteks have been run in external drives, I'm not sure if they can be run as the internal disk without modifications. There might be compatibility problems.

The Gotek doesn't use the same mounting hardware as the original a500 drive, so yeah it's loose inside the a500 case. I ended up just running longer power and floppy cables out the floppy drive opening and running it externally.

The Gotek has a menu system, if you boot to disk 0 you get a menu that allows assigning of the disk images to disk numbers. The only thing it's missing is a character LCD, I would like to be able to see the name of the current image. If the source is eventually released I might try to add LCD support. http://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The SD2IEC is cheaper if you don't need really high compatibility. http://www.sd2iec.co.uk/

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Police Automaton posted:

(a very, very far relative of the C64s SID btw.!)

How are they related? One was Japanese and FM, the other was designed in the US and was subtractive, right?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I think part of it was that subtractive synths are much easier to grasp and get decent sounds out of, whereas FM required experience and sometimes knowledge of the math involved. If you look at FM synths released in the 80s the most popular models were ones that shipped with hundreds of usable preset sounds. Lots and lots of FM soundtracked games sounded like poo poo, listen to some of the Megadrive catalogue.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Police Automaton posted:

The next thing I will probably talk about is the 68k architecture and line of CPUs. These things were in just about everything that wasn't a PC and people seem to be confused how they stack up to each other and in regards to the x86-based line of CPUs. There's quite a bit of interesting stuff there, not only Amiga-related.

Looking forward to it.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
New documentary on British games industry: http://www.frombedroomstobillions.com/

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The composite picture is in black and white because your TV is expecting an NTSC composite signal. The colour burst is at a different frequency. I see the same thing on one of my pal TVs when I use an NTSC nes

If you can use it I would get a Scart cable. The rgb output from Amigas looks really good

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
This may be easier: https://duxbridge.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/creating-ssd-for-my-macintosh-se30/

e: those scsi adapters run about 100usd. Maybe not.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 30, 2015

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I would look at the published recommended specs for the games of that period you are interested in, a lot of them are still online. From memory I think you'll need a P3 for System Shock II

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

midnightclimax posted:

Is there a something like a hard-drive mod for c64 emus? I tried playing Pool of Radiance the other day, but disk-swapping (didn't really work) made it a minor pita.

SD2IEC http://www.sd2iec.co.uk/

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I would just do the first few with something like blogger. You can set up a more interesting workflow once you get a feel for blogging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

fishmech posted:

No idea what mods you're thinking of, but most of the time you'd be better off jsut buying one of those little boxes that re-implements the system on FPGA. You'll spend a lot less than all the moddy bits.

Depends on where you are. I got an A500, 512k expansion (local euro sellers) and a Gotek for much less than a clone. Accelerators for a 500 seem a bit pointless imho