Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gynovore posted:

I remember Stunts 4D. On my 286, I got about two or three frames per second, not exaggerating.

I remember making huge complicated tracks and being annoyed that the AI obviously chose the shortcuts instead of dicking themselves over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

falz posted:

Dr dos 6.2 ruled, I could create hidden folders of fake Paula Abdul nudes from my parents. Sorry for the honestly.

So why not toss your dos?

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 14, 2020

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I think we were a Wordstar household. Google books seems to have a treasure trove of that sort of thing.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Also thanks for the write up, really well put together.

Why was ms-dos... 5 the bad one again?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Nice one :)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The Kins posted:

On the subject of type-in games, British publisher Usborne has made available free PDFs (scroll down!) of many of their programming books from the 80s, including five books of type-in BASIC games covering multiple microcomputers. Might be worth fiddling with over a lazy afternoon?

Fond memories of pouring over the content within Island of Secrets and Mystery of Silver Mountain while dad did his honest best to try and convert trash-80 to our Colour Genie with mixed results.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

ManxomeBromide posted:

The "RISC OS" that powered the Acorn Archimedes had full BBC BASIC compatibility and incorporated all of the BBC Micro's graphics modes, and that operating system never entirely ceased development. A Raspberry Pi (well, one that's 0 through 3) is entirely capable of running it as written.

Awesome! I'll stick then on my pihole at some stage.

This too!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I definitely had something like that.. Set it up with aubmenus and passwords and whatnot and immediately binned it because it was the age of squeezing 5k extra ram out of your config.sys etc

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Can't help you with that but it reminded me that https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Men exists, which features a heart thumping dramatisation of trying to switch on a BBC Micro.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

God I remember seeing Heros Quest demo'd on an mt32 with proper speakers, it was magical

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That sparked fond memories of playing no-dos floppy KQ1 on a green screen when I was very young, if I remember right the worst delay was mostly switching out the save disk and back. But then I looked up SCI0 and remembered playing LSL2 without even the benefit of a turbo button and noone should ever play this on era-appropriate hardware, ever, if at all

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I fought wsad for so long, ruining our hotseat q2 games by everyone having to rebind around me

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That's neat :)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Think I managed ^^ on a 386sx25 with (tedious story about config.sys mgt here) and Wolf3d definitely ran on a 286, maybe a pcAT?

Wait that's the same thing, still thinking in xt terms

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Easy to forget that Ultima Underworld and Everquest, early on, had teeeeensy windows

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Turning with the mouse, moving with the small arrows, or maybe even the numpad. Took me until at least Q3 to bed in wasd

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I bring you... the future https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_player&query=122506

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

If I fail a very, very simple common sense check and buy the tape-driven first home computer of my youth, are RF to hdmi dongles a thing? Ebay has plenty of the reverse which don't say if they'll do it. I think I found a rom to audio converter so that's that at least.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Ok so now I'm looking for our very first top-loading vcr to match, that's not good, especially as there's no way it has hdmi.

Apparently the pc (EG2000 Colour Genie, v. popular in NZ and Germany) has composite as well so maybe problem solved...

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I bought my childhood pc, the Colour Genie (vaguely trs 80 compatible), wired it up to the big TV through 17 adapters and it feels like looking at our big 20inch? from so long ago, it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Anyone here near London /SE England who'd clean up an old Xbox 360 (mainly reglue the fans, maybe stick some custom ones if cheap?) for a gift of beer/ scotch or similar? I'm sure it's an easy job for a hobbyist but I will snap plastic bits off or worse and it's still very usable outside the current jet engine noise