Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I love old computer threads like this. :allears:

I used to have an IIGS, I used that sucker from middle school up until high school. Managed to wear the monitor out. Parents got rid of it sadly. Best computer I've ever had. Used to waste alot of time playing Bard's Tale I-III, Mean 18 Golf, a bootleg copy of Roadwar 2000, Tetris, and tones of other games when I wasn't busy playing Nintendo. I also wasted alot of time with The Print Shop, both 5.25 and 3.5 diskette versions, Appleworks, and Paintworks. I had a poo poo-ton of software for that computer. Once the IIGS was gone I got an old HP and I wasted time with classic DOS games like Stonekeep, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Ultima Underworld I&II, Descent II, Might and Magic World of Xeen, and Command and Conquer.

Ironically I built my current rig to play the newest poo poo out there yet I keep coming back to old classics. Needless to say I love the poo poo out of GOG.com for providing me ways to play all those classic games without none of the hassle of configuring them. So while my rig is new, I am an old school PC gamer at heart. Long live the classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Winamp with the Chipamp plugins will play SIDs as well, plus it's also hella 90s.

EDIT: Also, thank you for posting that SID collection link, these chiptunes are amazing.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 2, 2013

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That's a classy DOS Rig you got there Rufus. :allears:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Good luck with the Win98 rig, I considered doing something similar but DOSBox and Gog.com pretty much have my retro gaming needs taken care of for right now. I do have some old parts from that era such as a Slot 1 Pentium III and a Voodoo 3 card, so maybe I could do something with those. I love your comic book style of commentary as well, it's unique and nobody seems to do that.

Also, Red Alert is my favorite Command and Conquer game, excellent 1st choice.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Shockeh posted:

But my one true love, my heart will always belong to my first proper computer, my BBC Micro 24k.

That's how I feel about the Apple IIGS. When I wasn't playing Nintendo, I was playing games on my Apple IIGS. I remember wasting alot of my free time on Roadwar 2000, Tetris, Mean 18 Golf, and the Bard's Tale Series.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That's a beautiful collection of games. Man, the 90s was a great time for pc gaming. Hell, half of my Gog.com library is 90s pc games, and I still fire up Unreal Tournament pretty often.

I figured I post my small collection of non digital PC games as well

Yes, there's new PC games and PS1 games in there but who cares. I realize this is a pretty sad collection as far as retro PC collections go but that is due to space limitations, the fact that most of my game library is on Steam and Gog.com, and that the local Goodwill here kinda sucks as far as finding old games are concerned, this shelf consists of my rare finds at that store. Except for Anachronox, that I got complete online for $25, a couple days before it got released on Gog.com, oh well. :v:

And before you ask, no I'm not Canadian despite what the water bottle and novelty sign tell you.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 27, 2013

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I have an iPad Air and it's a fantastic device with a surprising amount of retro games available for it. I've basically been using mine to browse these forums and to play Raiden Legacy (an app that has Raiden 1 and all the Raiden Fighters games) ,Galaga, and Carmageddon. Kinda hard playing retro games on a touch screen though, I may have to get one of those iCades. Pretty neat to see all those ancient computer games as well. Truly we love in a glorious time.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

An IIGS! I loved that computer and miss mine. I'd recommend Roadwar 2000 if you are into strategy games. I also recommend Tetris because well, it's Tetris. The Bard's Tale games get the best ports on IIGS, though the third game lacks an IIGS version and you'll have to settle for IIc version.

I used my IIGS up until high school, where it had to be thrown out due to the monitor getting too burned in. I got an old Packard Bell, the one with the Navigator shell package, and used that sucker until college, when I started to become much interested in PC gaming and playing more modern games. I used to play a lot of old DOS and Win9x games before finally having an up to date PC. Stonekeep and World of Xeen were good, as well as the old Fallouts.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, I wanted to put together a Win9X era gaming PC but I realized tracking down the right parts would be a huge pain in the rear end. I'm glad Gog and Dosbox are around to make playing old games a breeze.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Police Automaton posted:

Generally I like all games that are a bit weird and experimental, like somebody (don't remember who) already said in the thread and those are the games I seek out mostly nowadays in retro and even modern gaming. Sadly they are very rare nowadays, It's either the fast-food gaming you get from the big companies were everything was focus-grouped and market researched to perfection, leaving a completely soulless but technically good game that's completely forgettable, or "pre-pre-pre alpha fund-us-via-kickstarter techdemos that never go anywhere and often get cloned a million times in the hopes to be the new overnight sensation. I mean there were lots of unplayable poo poo games back then too but usually at least they got finished mostly.

I'm with you on this. AAA Games kinda bore me now and I find myself playing the classics, indie titles, or Nintendo games. I can't be the only one tried of all these bland grey and brown games the big publishers keep crapping out?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Honestly, if you want to play old DOS or pre Vista games Dosbox and Gog.com are the way to go, especially if you don't want to fuss with old hardware. I hate loving around with discs so I really don't see the need to collect media that's on the verge of expiring. I guess do it if you like collecting boxes.:shrug:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Who doesn't name their computers? It's like not naming a boat, it's considered bad luck.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I picked up and played Homeworld all the way through recently, does that count? :v:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Bought this little guy for some good old retro pc gaming on the go, and for just general computer stuff. I find myself playing more modern games less and less, and I can't be arsed to sit by the desk where my gaming rig is all day play some dusty old CRPG, especially considering I also work at home at sit at that desk all day anyway.

Packing an Intel Centrino Dual Core @ 2GHZ and an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M, this baby should run every good old game I have barring any modern stuff.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It blows my mind what demosceners can do. :psypop:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I want to build a win9x machine but I really don't have the room for it and I'd imagine trying to get drivers for outdated hardware could be a potential nightmare, not to mention acquiring such old hardware without it costing an arm or a leg. Also, there's also the question of what other purpose could such an old or frankensteined machine serve. There's no way I'd connect a win98 machine to the internet, unless I'm real curious on how many viruses I can infect it with and if today's internet causes the machine to blow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

d0s posted:

It's (almost) complete!

Managed to find an Apple RGB monitor and I'm really glad I did, this thing has a nicer picture than my trisync NEC and actually matches the system. I got a pack of 50 recycled but guaranteed to work 800k disks for $20 from floppydisk.com and have been using ADTPro to transfer stuff over. I have one of those 4mb RAM boards coming from Germany, and am saving up for one of those CF IDE adapters.

The Kraft KC30 joystick was an awesome find, I got it on ebay for $13 from a guy who had it listed as a "serial joystick", it looks huge but it's really comfortable to hand hold because button 2(1) is on the back, all 3 top buttons are all button 1(0):

I'm really enjoying the few games I've played so far, standouts are Zany Golf, Task Force (game in picture), Tunnels of Armageddon, Arkanoid. Not a big fan of the Thexder/Silpheed ports, these games feel off as hell compared to playing on a 386. I'm in the process of moving and I can't wait to be done so I can set up a proper desk for this thing, for now I have to haul everything on my bed to use it which is super annoying.

Floppy load times on this system suck hard, make Amiga look quick. Apart from that I fuckin love it, super jealous of anyone who grew up with one of these, it's like an 80's american kid computer nerd's dream if that makes sense

e: does task force ever have any enemies who aren't black holy poo poo lmao

I still miss my Apple IIGS. I used that thing until high school in the late 90s, when the monitor finally crapped out and my parents foolishly yard saled it. When I wasn't spending my youth playing Super Nintendo and N64 games I would spend hours playing the Bard's Tale games, Road War 2000, Tetris, Tazz Times in Tonetown, the various weird edutainment games, or dicking around with the Print Shop and Paintworks. Good times. :allears: