Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Define "early". One Must Fall 2097 was a terrible game but had great music.

I think you mean great game with amazing music. OMF2097 is still the best fighting game. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Incase anyone wants a new IRC channel to idle, we finally have #oldgames on irc.synirc.net. Any sort of retro gaming chat is kosher, but there seems to be an emphasis on older PC gaming. It's also probably going to be used as a platform for organizing retro multiplayer gaming. So if you're a user of IRC, add it to your autojoin list and rant about any old computer related thing you want to.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 15, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

#oldgames has an emphasis on old computer gaming, rather than console gaming. Note it's no way officially affaliated with this thread. I just posted because I figured there would be a decently large correlation of lurkers of this thread and goons that would like to lurk a channel about old computer gaming.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 15, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Rufus posted:

Sounds nice but honestly I don't think we need two or three goon retrogaming IRC channels. #retrochat is fine.

Yeah I honestly didn't know #retrochat was a thing when I first found out about #oldgames. As such I checked #retrochat out to see how unnecessary #oldgames really was, because yeah, on the surface it does sound redundent as hell, and #retrochat already has an established userbase. But all anyone ever talked about on #retrochat was anime and consoles, which doesn't really relate too much to this thread. It's great that there's a place for that sort of thing, but that's not what #oldgames is for. I'll reiterate that that the purpose of #oldgames is to have an emphasis on old computer gaming, rather than retro discussion in general. This means goons at #oldgames tend to talk more about games from GOG, or source ports, or organizing multiplayer games, etc. If there's actually another channel I'm not aware of (this third retrogaming channel?) that fills this purpose, then yeah I agree it's completely unnecessary, but #retrochat doesn't fill that purpose.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 16, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jesus christ, I didn't mean to start this dumb drama, I just wanted a channel to complain about how they don't make computer games like they used to. :negative: Captain Rufus, I totally understand that you're part of the #retrochat community and as such would much prefer it over some random new channel. #oldgames is in no way trying to replace or fragment the established community at #retrochat, just letting nerds know there's a new nerd outlet if they wanted one, since there apparently are a few goons that do. I don't expect #oldgames to get especially big, more so a case of fewer but more dedicated goons.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 17, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I powered on my IBM PC350 to see how it's faring. On boot I get a 161 Bad CMOS Battery POST startup error, which sounds to be pretty common for old computers. But it still boots into Windows 95 fine, so I left the computer on for 24h to see if that alleviated the issue, but no luck. So I put a CR2032 on my shopping list, but how important is it really to replace the CMOS battery? Also are there any precautions I should take for replacing the battery when I do eventually get a replacement?

EDIT: While I'm at it, the windows start up complains about a couple files being referenced in the registry not existing, any idea what they could be so that I could try cleaning it out?
C:\CSW\cssafe95.386
C:\CSW\csdvxd.386

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 17, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Most CMOS batteries I've seen just slide in and out of a clip on the motherboard, so replacing it is probably a good idea. Not replacing it could mean your BIOS settings get lost, and then you'd have to re-enter them and so forth.

This seems to be related to some software called InSync CoSession, which appears to be old "remote desktop" software. You could probably make it go away by commenting it out of the SYSTEM.INI file.

Great! Thank you very much.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I have an IBM PC350 with a Pentium that still boots up with Windows 95. It runs a lot slower than I think it should, but generally if I give it a few minutes, it will run alright. Is there any easy things that can be done to speed it up? I also remember playing Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight on it back in the day, but it can't even manage 1 fps now. This may be because there used to be a video card in it, which there no longer is. Or maybe it's just to do with the general slowness of the system now. If I wanted to get a card to throw in there, what would I be looking for to run things like Jedi Knight and Quake?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think I'll keep windows 95, because I'd like to have a machine that I can reliably revisit things from that era on. Given I can use dosbox for dos stuff, but running old windows stuff can be a crapshoot on modern machines. It does sound like I need to reinstall windows though, which is a shame for nostalgia reasons. I should have the discs still kicking around somewhere though. Also sounds like I need to hunt down a voodoo3, assuming the mobo supports it. There must've been a video card in it before, I remember having a demo disc for a Diamond brand 3dfx card or something that had Tomb Raider, Heavy Gear, Madden, and IndyCar Racing. No clue what happened to it though, atleast the sound blaster is still in there.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

d0s posted:

I remember seeing previews of a game like that that looked promising a couple years ago, but I can't remember anything about it other than that there was this piece of promo art for it that looked like an 80's movie poster or something. I really wish I could remember then name because I think it was explicitly billed as being "like wing commander". I don't think it was an online game like star citizen or anything

edit: found it, it was called enemy starfighter:

now it's called house of the dying sun and it's on steam early access, but I must have misremembered because it looks like there's a big focus on tactical elements. still, looks kinda cool

edit2: lol this throwback space combat flight game doesn't support flight sticks :bravo:

My HOTAS works fine with it. It's fun. It's just one dude that's making it so he can't officially support different controllers, but most work fine anyways so.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've got a Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS X. The negative throttle doesn't register (only 0 to +100 does), but there's no reverse anyways and everything else works perfect.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this or if there's a dedicated GOG thread. I've got a not-tech-savvy friend who bought Sim City 2000 on GOG, and he says the following: "I bought SimCity 2000 off of good old games. Only problem is, the gameplay is only 1/4 of the screen. The rest is black."

Does anyone know a fix for this?

The GOG version of SC2k is the DOS version, which uses pre-configured DOSbox to get running. I assume his issue is related to that. If your friend can get a hold of the SC2k for Windows disk, they can use the Windows 7+ installer and have a much more pleasant way to play SC2k.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

There probably is some way to fix it, but not worth the effort IMO when the alternative is easier and better. No idea about refunds.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 5, 2018

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe Gizmos & Gadgets?

Also Jill of the Jungle.

Also One Must Fall 2097.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Lemmings is actually best played on the Nintendo DS.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The point of Lemmings DS is the touchscreen support. Never considered multiplayer Lemmings as being something to be desired.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Worth noting that Micro Men is a pretty good dramatization of the rivalry between Sinclair and Acorn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXBxV6-zamM

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Elasto Mania rules. You can buy it, and its predecessor Action Supercross, on steam now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I was hoping to buy a refurbished amiga from the guy here in Canada, but he passed away a few years ago. Think I'll never own an amiga at this point, I'll stick to my IBM.