Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

How is Amiga OS 3.1.4? I'm thinking of ordering http://amigaonthelake.com/amiga-os3-1-4-kickstart-roms-floppys-for-amiga-a3000/ for my 3000, which is currently running WB 2.something. I've also got a 2500 running 1.3, so I thought it would make sense to leave the 2500 as-is for games and such, but bump the 3000 to a newer version in order to play with later software and mess with the Video Toaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ah, that joystick..that was my first one. I used it from the time we moved to NSW and got out Cyrix M2 (i.e., playing a lot of Geoff Crammond's F1GP), through to emulating SMD/SNES games for 2P with my younger brother (at least the ones you only needed two buttons for, the top one just repeats one of the others)..come to think of it I probably kept that thing as long as we did that computer, which was up until we got a P4 with Hyper Threading. That was a uh...big upgrade.

I had that joystick too! We used it to play Command Keen 4, Car and Driver, and Flight Simulator.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anyone got any ideas why a Mac SE/30 would hang at this screen?

(apologies that this isn't directly gaming related except that I want to play fuckin Dark Castle!)

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 10, 2021

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Edilaic posted:

It's possible that your machine has some sort of extensions conflict? I think that first image is At Ease, but it may be the next one that's not loading. Have you tried booting while holding Shift to disable extensions? Also, if you haven't dropped by, there's also a Mac Classic games thread to talk about Dark Castle in!

Oh hell yeah, thanks for the link!

I'm driving over this afternoon to check out the machine, and since it seems to be almost certainly an extension problem, thus presumably fixable by a reinstall at worst, I intend to buy it. Then I'll be joining the weirdos in the Mac Classic games thread.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I finished Planetfall last night. I played it entirely from an 800K floppy disk in a Macintosh Plus. Good game, but seeking from the disk is just on the limits of acceptable for someone used to modern computers.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

legooolas posted:

This thread got me reading up a bit more about DAT because I always wanted a DAT Walkman years ago, but got a minidisc Walkman instead because it was less than half the price (£220ish for the first sensibly priced minidisc Walkman instead of basically £500). DAT stayed expensive, which I thought was a shame rather than getting cheaper and replacing analogue cassettes in car radios etc.

Seems that most DAT drives aren't compatible with both audio and data, and the tapes for data are much thinner and more likely to cause problems in audio devices. DCC used the same sort of static tape head as analogue tape, whereas DAT uses a Sony had like a VCR so - making DCC much cheaper to build drives for. Still flopped though :D

Sony, loving up a storage format over analog/digital poo poo and piracy concerns? Why I never!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The manual says "Try turning the monitor 90° to the left or right." in the troubleshooting section. This is a good idea; I had a compact Mac whose screen would go blank if sat down normally, but turned on if I tilted the computer about 45 degrees to either side. It turned out to be a bad solder joint in the power supply.

My money is on either a bad solder joint or a bad electrolytic capacitor. "Worked for a few hours, then started making GBS threads out" makes me especially think the latter. Look carefully for any signs of leaked/dried liquid, or for corrosion on component pins indicating that something once leaked.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I swear some game used "push mouse around to move forward" by default and made me immediately think it was the dumbest way to move ever, forcing me back to keyboard for another couple of years. Then I discovered "right click to go forward" which somehow made PERFECT SENSE at the time and converted me immediately. I guess before games with both aiming and alternate fire modes you could really get away with that, especially with a three-button mouse

Right-click to walk forward was my preference for a year or two too. I played through the original Quake that way, I think.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

For better immersion, leave all your windows open and play while walking on a treadmill set to max incline.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I don't know anything about Commodore but the floppies have value. Throw them on ebay, make $20.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I both received and then subsequent gave away an Amiga for free about 15 years ago. EASY COME, EASY GO at least the guy I gave it to was a huge Amiga fan so he undoubtedly at least put it to good use

I got two free Amigas (a 2000 and a 3000) circa 2019 and gave them away in 2021 in exchange for a token bottle of wine.

The recipient has put them to much more and better use than I ever did, so I'm not too bothered.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gynovore posted:

My Commodore PSUs poo poo the bed twice. The repair guy didn't even consider fixing them to be an option.

Hey since this is the old games thread, you've had that avatar for a long time, what the hell is it from?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gynovore posted:

BTW I recognize where you got your username from but am scared to ask about the avatar.

I bought the picture without coins for myself, because I saw it posted on these forums and liked it. Then I posted in the bitcoin (buttcoin lol) thread and somebody made & bought this absolute loving masterpiece for me.

edit: also my username came about because I didn't think of a username before registering and just started looking wildly around my room for something, anything I could type into the little box. Glad my eyes fell on a Vinge novel or else my username could have been "coke can", "dirty dishes", or "giant buttplug"

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 11, 2023

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Reminds me that I should see if anyone has done any analysis on the computers from Control and if there's any real world computers that are reasonably similar in design

I don't remember them very well, but googling turned up this picture:

The desktop machine looks to be very strongly based on the IBM 5110, with an IBM monitor set on top of it.

The rack in the right appears to be a PDP-12 on top and a PDP-8/e underneath.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 3, 2023

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Since we’re talking fiction computers, are the macro data refinement computers from Severance based on anything?

They look very much like Data General Dasher terminals.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Yeah the big issue is usually the power supply, or battery leakage on some models. I follow a bunch of Japanese retro folks on twitter, and this made me chuckle.

Appropriate because PRO-kun sounds like "broken"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

E-emul-emulation?? On my beautiful stock hardware!? Replacing my godly Motorola CPU design?? You sick monster. You freak. I don't even know you.

yeah you wouldn't want to give up that highly unique 68k processor